Oceania Dress Code Nuances/Interpretations

njhorseman

I'd say it is a bit of both.

Well, truth be told, it is really a ship crew and staff issue. If they rule the ship, then they are the "police" and they should ensure the rules are followed. If they set and enforce the standard, it will be followed.

Same as off the ship on the highways or wherever...the police ensure the rules are followed and there are consequences if caught not following the rules.

[if they rule the ship, then they are the "police" and they should ensure the rules are followed.

You are of course correct, and I wish the rules were enforced. However, staff in the business of pleasing the public really dislike being enforcers. They fear (correctly) being berated, not tipped, possibly physically abused. I can see why they shy away from confrontation.

Was in the regatta in November and a couple were kicked off the ship, half way thru the cruise.

The man was very drunk early in the day , by the pool, propositioning my friend, he fell down drunk, and was hauled off by the pool staff.

Several other drunken episodes had been recorded, so off the ship in Grenada

Another guy had a drone and flew it around the pool deck a few days, even though we saw security tell him it was against the rules.

He finally ended up crashing it into the staircase going above the pool deck.

Everyone at the pool clapped.

Oceania enforced their policies.!

I haven't been on every O ship with every CD, but with the ones I have I believe that:

1. Any passenger that physically abused any staff would be confined to their quarters and off the ship at the next port. No questions asked.

2. Verb abuse, if severe, would probably get the passenger a one time warning, with the second incident yielding the same results as #1.

I have never witnessed any physical abuse on an O ship. I have seen passengers get very mouthy, but most seem embarrassed enough when they are sent to change clothes that they either do so quietly or go to the Terrace.

I have seen cruisers cut off of alcohol consumption, at least at the ship's facilities.

I guess we have been lucky

we have not seen any abusive drunks but have seen some "entitled " passengers be rude to staff also pushing infront of others at the buffet

Have not seen any flashers ..people should report them ASAP

Have seen the Maitre'd in the GDR take some men aside to tell then short are not allowed for dinner service

I think changing the wording of the dress code may help from Country Club casual to Elegant casual for evenings but then there are those that

"I may my money I will dress how I want" types

maybe have pictures of what is acceptable onboard for day wear & evening wear in the back of the Personal cruise guide

what people wear ... does it really matter... i go to dinner to eat for myself and not what someone is wearing... if it bother you that much to see them while you eat... ignore them and enjoy your meal... not your problem.. not your monkey.

[if they rule the ship, then they are the "police" and they should ensure the rules are followed.

You are of course correct, and I wish the rules were enforced. However, staff in the business of pleasing the public really dislike being enforcers. They fear (correctly) being berated, not tipped, possibly physically abused. I can see why they shy away from confrontation.

Oceania has a culture of not offending paying customers. However in doing so they offend an even greater number of paying customers

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Well, if that is the case and the staff are not willing to enforce, then this entire topic is moot.

Wear what you want and just be chastised on Cruise Critic, where all the complainers are? :)

Kidding folks, but making a point about the staff.

what people wear ... does it really matter... i go to dinner to eat for myself and not what someone is wearing... if it bother you that much to see them while you eat... ignore them and enjoy your meal... not your problem.. not your monkey.

This may be the view of the passengers that you have sailed with on other cruise lines but is definitely not the opinion of 99% of Oceania cruisers. Oceania's dining venues (except for the Terrace Café) are high end - both from a food, décor and service perspective. There are many cruise lines where you can wear whatever you want...... Oceania is not one of them.

This may be the view of the passengers that you have sailed with on other cruise lines but is definitely not the opinion of 99% of Oceania cruisers. Oceania's dining venues (except for the Terrace Café) are high end - both from a food, décor and service perspective. There are many cruise lines where you can wear whatever you want...... Oceania is not one of them.

Exactly.

There are legitimate differences of opinion with regard to some venues but the MDR and the speciality restaurants certainly expect a certain standard in the evening for good reason.

I personally don't object to smart shorts in the MDR at lunch or breakfast, nor at teatime.

I also don't think that a strict dress code is necessary for the concierge lounge, especially early in the morning when people go there to fetch coffee. It's not anything like a formal place.

But, as I said, there are bound to be differences of opinion regarding the less formal places.

It is not a matter of "people moving up from mass market lines where rules are different and (naturally) they bring their "customs" with them " or even "anything goes" attitude. It is what people can get away with.

I respectfully disagree with you based on the fact that I have much prior experience on Oceania and you seem relatively new to the line - please correct me if I am wrong about this. I am basing my observation on my past experiences.

We have cruised with them since 2006 and have 24 cruises - hence a lot of past experiences to draw on and have seen many changes over those years.

Frequent past Oceania cruisers are much more familiar with the "customs and regulations" on Oceania and are much more likely to follow them.

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that there is a very large number of new clientele on Oceania - most of it coming from mass market lines (a few from luxury lines). Just check the number of threads here on CC where people new to Oceania post their numerous questions about what to expect on Oceania; almost every second thread is on that or similar topic. I see people on the ship that have no idea that there is an afternoon tea every day (and all sorts of things they are totally unaware of). They are shocked at the lack of entertainment options, quiet evenings, etc, etc - obviously they have not done their research about the new line (and that may include things like dress code).

There is no problem with new cruisers from any line per se but I am saying that not everyone new to Oceania is on CC and does their research ahead of time. Thus they may be unaware of not being able to serve themselves in the buffet or dressing less casually for dinner, both of which are commonly done on many other lines. Repeat Oceania customers may be guilty of these things as well but newcomers are much more likely to be so. That is all that I am saying. People do what they are accustomed to doing on cruises unless they investigate the new line ahead of time (as many do here) or are told otherwise on the ship.

I agree that it should be called to their attention rather than let everyone do what they please and let the rest of us ignore it - as someone here suggested.

Edited by Paulchili

I guess we have been lucky

we have not seen any abusive drunks but have seen some "entitled " passengers be rude to staff also pushing infront of others at the buffet

Have not seen any flashers ..people should report them ASAP

Have seen the Maitre'd in the GDR take some men aside to tell then short are not allowed for dinner service

I think changing the wording of the dress code may help from Country Club casual to Elegant casual for evenings but then there are those that

"I may my money I will dress how I want" types

maybe have pictures of what is acceptable onboard for day wear & evening wear in the back of the Personal cruise guide

Please define "elegant casual".

Please define "elegant casual".

My opinion it would be for dinner venues

Clean pressed long trousers with a polo, button down shirt or Tommy B for men... Jacket/blazer if they choose & no sandals

For women

Nice slacks or skirt with a nice top .. dressy type but not t shirt or smart dress, sparkles not required

nice dress shoe not flip flops or rubber clogs

JMO

YMMD

It is up to the GM or Maitre' D to enforce Oceania dress code

so instead of have a nice vacation with fine food etc... you have place yourself as snobs... good show.

We are very fortunate to have so many different choices in cruising and everyone should choose a cruise line that suits all their preferences well (in clothing and everything else) rather than trying to change the new cruise line to their own preferences.

For example, I avoid Silversea because I know and dislike their very strict formal dress code; I know that they won't (and shouldn't) change it just to please me. So, I avoid them unless they have an irresistible itinerary and then I confirm to their standards.

JMO.

Edited by Paulchili

Clean pressed long trousers with a polo, button down shirt or Tommy B for men... Jacket/blazer if they choose & no sandals

For women

Nice slacks or skirt with a nice top .. dressy type but not t shirt or smart dress, sparkles not required

JMO

YMMD

That sounds like the definition of Country Club casual. Actually, there are some pretty fancy and expensive flip flops out there.http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/badgley-mischka-bali-jelly-flip-flop-women/4455180?origin=category-personalizedsort&fashioncolor=SILVER%20JELLY

Thanks

Edited by Oville

That sounds like the definition of Country Club casual. Actually, there are some pretty fancy and expensive flip flops out there.http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/badgley-mischka-bali-jelly-flip-flop-women/4455180?origin=category-personalizedsort&fashioncolor=SILVER%20JELLY

Thanks

There are some pretty expensive designer jeans also but I would not think them acceptable for dinner attire ;)

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/true-religion-brand-jeans-liv-embellished-distressed-skinny-jeans-black-smog-destroyed/4374085?origin=category-personalizedsort&fashioncolor=BLACK%20SMOG%20DESTROYED

or

_12841202.jpg?fit=fill&bg=FFF&fm=jpg&q=60&w=380&h=583

For women

JMO

YMMD

So my expensive leather sandals would not be acceptable while my wife's sandals would be? How is the difference justified?

Really interesting responses. The ones I find most interesting are from posters that have not sailed Oceania.

Paulchili and LHT28 and I rarely agree on anything but agree on this topic. I cannot imagine not doing research on a cruise line prior to sailing on one of their ships. Would you go to a Michelin star restaurant and decide that your clothing is "good enough" - not paying attention to dress code? On a recent excursion in Barcelona to a 2 star Michelin restaurant, I was told when I was on the bus that my rhinestone encrusted flip flops were not acceptable. I quickly ran back to our stateroom and changed! I wasn't angry - just wished that I has researched it a bit more.

Oville: Regent (Oceania's sister cruise line) has an "Elegant Casual" dress code. It is basically what LHT28 described. Men tend to wear slacks and a collared shirt (generally long sleeved but polo shirts and short sleeved shirts are also acceptable). In specialty restaurants, I noticed that men wear sports jackets (not required -- it is just what men choose to wear on these upscale ships). IMO, it is easier for women - pants or skirt with a nice top or a dress and..... yes, they an wear sandals. BTW, the "Jelly Belly" flip flops that the link brought up (without a description) look like they are plastic. I have worn fancy flip-flops but they are not plastic.

njhorseman: Note about sandals for men. Men have two choices when wearing sandals - going barefoot (and most men do not have polished and manicured toenails) or wearing socks with sandals (not a great look IMO). There are many types of shoes that are acceptable for men - just not sandals, flip flops or tennis/running shoes. Women, on the other hand, wear fancy sandals and, IMO, look better that some regular shoes (acknowledging that many women are unable to wear heels and do the best that they can with flat shoes).

Oceania cruisers are not snobs - many have started cruising with mainstream cruise lines and graduated to Oceania (usually because their children are no longer young and they can do more adult vacations and they have a bit more vacation money available for themselves). The most important thing is to respect the policies of any cruise line that you will be sailing. If you want jeans, shorts, men in sandals and jeans like the ones LHT28 showed (really made me laugh but some people would like to wear them), perhaps Oceania is not for you.

Note: IMO, bathrobes are not acceptable anywhere (except your stateroom) on any ship - whether it is a luxury or mainstream cruise line. I suppose if a man forgot to pack a cover-up, he could wear a towel over his swimming trunks to the elevator and then directly to his stateroom.

Sorry for going on and on but it is difficult to read posts from people that want to change Oceania into what they are used to rather than accepting it for what it is.

Edited by Travelcat2

As the person who started this thread I think I need to remind some of you what my original question was:

We're experienced cruisers...more than 50 cruises on 8 different cruise lines, taking our first Oceania cruise, on the Insignia, in January.

We're well aware of the fact that shorts (and certain other items of clothing that we wouldn't be wearing regardless) aren't permitted in the dining room and specialty restaurants at dinner. Our questions are:

Are shorts permitted in the Terrace Cafe at all meals?

Are shorts permitted in the dining room at breakfast and lunch?

Thanks.

Unfortunately, rather than just factually answering two simple questions, some of you (by no means everyone) felt the need to launch into huffy, self righteous, nose-up-in-the-air, judgmental rants as if you are the appointed gate-keepers of all things proper on Oceania...and in the world in general.

I had the answers I needed by post #3, and thanked the responders in post #4, but by post#7 there's a snide response complete with a ":rolleyes:", and overall it's gone downhill from there.

When we board Insignia next week we hope don't find too many of the self-appointed guardians of all things proper. If we do, our first Oceania cruise will be our last. There are lots of choices in cruising.

Thanks again to those of you who recognized the legitimacy of the original and follow-up questions and answered them in a straightforward, nonjudgmental way.

PS: I did a lot of research on Oceania before booking, and have considered cruising on Oceania for some time. This wasn't a hasty decision. In fact because I did my homework I noticed the holes in Oceania's published dress code...details that either weren't addressed at all or details that appeared to be incomplete or inconsistent.

Edited by njhorseman

Back to the issue of men's sandals (where women seem to have more leeway), I seem to recall that the dearly missed Don Horner said that he wore his open sandals to the restaurants and never had a problem.

It's true that saying "no flip flops" can be hard to define. So many women where fancy sandals of this design. But if they are clearly beach wear, I would say they don't belong in the dining room.

Then again, I don't like seeing people wearing virtually no footwear on an airplane, especially when they use my arm rest as their foot support.

Mura

As the person who started this thread I think I need to remind some of you what my original question was:

Unfortunately, rather than just factually answering two simple questions, some of you (by no means everyone) felt the need to launch into huffy, self righteous, nose-up-in-the-air, judgmental rants as if you are the appointed gate-keepers of all things proper on Oceania...and in the world in general.

I had the answers I needed by post #3, and thanked the responders in post #4, but by post#7 there's a snide response complete with a ":rolleyes:", and overall it's gone downhill from there.

Some threads do take on a life of their own

When you got the answers you were looking for it is best to just stop reading the thread ;)

Enjoy the cruise

Lyn

Back to the issue of men's sandals (where women seem to have more leeway), I seem to recall that the dearly missed Don Horner said that he wore his open sandals to the restaurants and never had a problem.

Mura

I think Don wore closed toed sandals & if you do a search of his old post there are some photos