Help with seasick remedies for a 5yr old

Jobugmom

I would ask his dr. for a rx just in case... you can also ask the pharmacy what would be good for kids.

We will be traveling with our 5 year oldn and this will be his first cruise. Any advice on what to use if he would get seasick? Thanks in advance.

First of all, don't assume your child will get seasick. Does your child get carsick or airsick? Does he get sick on amusement park rides?

If you don't bring it up then there is no chance of creating anxiety in them that will only make it worse.

But, go prepared. Bonine makes a berry flavored kids version. If you can't find it at a local store you can order it from Amazon. Also, take some ginger candy, or ginger capsules if he can swallow pills. And ginger ale from the bar would be something else to give him. I would start with the non-drug approaches and work up to the Bonine if they don't work. But, of course check with your doctor.

We took our youngest at 5 and it was really rough and people all around were sick. He just thought the ship rocking was fun and thought all the barf bags were nasty . Neither of our grandkids had a problem either on their first cruises. But, we were prepared for the worst just in case.

First of all, don't assume your child will get seasick. Does your child get carsick or airsick? Does he get sick on amusement park rides?

If you don't bring it up then there is no chance of creating anxiety in them that will only make it worse.

But, go prepared. Bonine makes a berry flavored kids version. If you can't find it at a local store you can order it from Amazon. Also, take some ginger candy, or ginger capsules if he can swallow pills. And ginger ale from the bar would be something else to give him. I would start with the non-drug approaches and work up to the Bonine if they don't work. But, of course check with your doctor.

We took our youngest at 5 and it was really rough and people all around were sick. He just thought the ship rocking was fun and thought all the barf bags were nasty . Neither of our grandkids had a problem either on their first cruises. But, we were prepared for the worst just in case.

And there's ginger cookies.

And there's ginger cookies.

I am not assuming any thing nor am I trying to mention it to my child and create anxiety,.. Was just wanting to simply be PREPARED. I know about all the over the counter meds I can take with me. He has never cruised before so I was simply asking for advice from past cruisers what they have done. Again, thanks everyone for your help

Go ahead and get the SeaBands. They're med-free so there's no side effects. They're little wristbands. My daughter (she was 9 when we cruised) gets really, really bad motion sickness so we put those on her before we boarded and she wore them the entire time. She never experienced seasickness.

There was one day with really high seas and the ship was rocking really badly - so badly that they had placed boxes of barf bags all over the place - so on that day we also used homeopathic drops behind the ears and she was fine.

She really hates Dramamine because of the drowsiness and flavor. These two items did the trick with no side effects or unpleasantness.

Here's a link for the drops we used:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002D6M94E/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2UILHLLDUMCAM

Go ahead and get the SeaBands. They're med-free so there's no side effects. They're little wristbands. My daughter (she was 9 when we cruised) gets really, really bad motion sickness so we put those on her before we boarded and she wore them the entire time. She never experienced seasickness.

There was one day with really high seas and the ship was rocking really badly - so badly that they had placed boxes of barf bags all over the place - so on that day we also used homeopathic drops behind the ears and she was fine.

She really hates Dramamine because of the drowsiness and flavor. These two items did the trick with no side effects or unpleasantness.

Here's a link for the drops we used:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002D6M94E/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2UILHLLDUMCAM

Thank you very much.. He gets car sick so I just wanted to be PREPARED. Thank you agian

My daughter, who is prone to seasickness, says that what really helps her most is getting outside in the fresh air. We had rough seas on our last cruise, and she would start feeling bad during dinner. She would skip dessert and sit in a lounger outside on Lido with the popcorn they prepared for the big screen movies and ice water, and she quickly felt better. She did not take seasickness meds on that cruise because she didn't like how they made her feel and found that the fresh air worked even better.

My sister has issues with motion sickness and has had great results when cruising with the wristbands. We always always traveled with green apples and ginger snaps (the ones from Trader Joe's are fantastic!) to help with the upset tummies. Access to fresh air and being able to see the horizon help me.

We had an inside cabin on our first cruise and I found myself feeling ill mainly in the mornings when we'd get up from bed. Luckily we were prepared and had Gatorade and water ready, and preordered toast, fruit, and tea. Having some simple food in my stomach and staying well hydrated made all the difference!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I put Seabands on my kids on our first cruise 3 1/2 years ago. I told them if they would even possibly get seasick, this would take care of it. Whether it was psychological or not (lol) they made sure to keeps those bands on and never had a problem. We will be bringing them again on our next trip like we do every trip.

We will be traveling with our 5 year oldn and this will be his first cruise. Any advice on what to use if he would get seasick? Thanks in advance.

my sister is a sailor and she always says "keep high and dry" meaning, keep food in your stomach (not at all hard on a cruise) and don't drink too much liquid. obviously you need to stay hydrated, but if he's the kind of kid who likes to chug his milk or juice before eating much solid food, try to make sure there is plenty in there to absorb the liquid.

good luck!

My son gets sick if the tire swing spins too fast. He has been on two cruises now and was only sick one day when the seas were very rough. He put his sea bands on and ate some toast and was much better after. I did have some medicine on hand just in case though.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

My daughter started cruising at 23 months and fortunately she doesn't get sea sick (nor does her father), but I do -- can't even read in a moving vehicle like a car. But I do agree with those who recommend talking with his pediatrician who knows what helps most kids, and can check your son's chart just in case he has any medical conditions. Take along a few of the suggested remedies after trying them out on land (you wouldn't want to have a drowsy son or have him bothered by the sea bands).

The one time my daughter was complaining to her doctor about being nauseous (not related to traveling), her doctor recommended Benedryl.

As with adults, what works for one person, might not for the next person.