Men, what wallet do you use when you're on the beach and in the ocean?

I usually read the top critical review on Amazon:

I don't discount what those people are saying. But I'll bet there are thousands who use them every day and have absolutely no problems with them and don't post as such. I've had mine for over 5 years and it still works flawlessly. Now I don't use it every day but it has been through some times and performed.

Everything is relative. They all work till they don't. and some just keep on working.

I'm also seeing the majority of those reviews are several years old. Nothing recent. Not saying there aren't any, but the top review is 4 years old.

Edited by dwayneb236

We have basically the same thing. The only difference is we got it from RCI. Latch hasn't failed...

We bring $20 (or taxi money), one credit card, ID, and seapass card; to the beach. No cell phone, but maybe a cheap camera. Outside of our IDs I'm not really worried if we lose anything. Normally I don't even use that case. Everything goes into my swimsuit velcro pocket. All that stuff is waterproof anyway.

Thing is I hate the beach. I would rather go snorkeling. On the rare occasion when we do, one of us usually guards the camera.

Cash and cruise card can get wet.

The rest gets left under a towel

I agree. Our cards and cash go straight into my husband's swim shorts pocket. They can all get wet. Never had any problems. Except we have to lay the cash out in our cabin to dry. :)

Thanks! That latch seems like a weak point.

Another +1 on the latch being ok. We've had one just like that one for over 20 years without it breaking.

BUT- we have had other designs that have broke.

For some reason- the one bob posted is much better than some of the alternatives. Not all latching boxes are made the same.

Depending on the beach/island etc. We never take much on shore, or anything we cannot afford to lose. MAYBE one CC(the one we know) and maybe $40 in cash. camera and a photo id, if needed, for that a drivers license or we have the PP cards. Having said that, all are good post above, especially finding some one close to help watch your stuff, but despite some posts we never have encountered a problem with a slightly cautious approach.

This isn't a wallet, but another option people might be interested in.

http://kyssbags.com

Disclaimer that I'm unsure how well this works because mine actually ripped even though it is guaranteed not to. I was pretty upset about it and the company refused to refund my money unless I paid to have it mailed back for inspection even though I sent about 10 pictures of all the rips and tears. In the end though I have to give them credit because they did eventually decide that because the bags are guaranteed to be rip proof and mine was ripped, that it must have been a bad batch of materials, and sent me a new one free of charge about a month or two later, which I haven't used.

The idea of these bags are great and I can only assume that they hold up the way they are supposed to because other people rave about how great they are. Just beware that I did experience a faulty bag and initially poor customer service, so use at your own risk. It's a great idea though.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thought you needed to take your passport with you when you go off ship?

Passport is not mandatory. Usually the ship card and a photo ID is sufficient to take off the ship.

Edited by clarea

Been using these for years. Actually, have a drawer full of them acquired over the years. Never had one leak. As another mentioned I attach the string to my suit's string 'just in case'

102_0058_zps5b6fb9c3.jpg

Alto, more often than not now I just use a double set of ziplock bags ....

dl (picture ID) is waterproof; ship card is waterproof; MasterCard is waterproof; cash is waterproof; on the rare occasion I've felt need to carry a copy of passport I'm fine with leaving that stuffed in my shoe on the beach.

Lol,the same one I have on land.Im not paranoid of people stealing it out of my bag on the beach...I feel its much safer there then anything it would be in or attached to in a bathing suit.Lose it in the sea,good luck finding it.

Fair enough, but at the same time, those "decent seeming" folks next to you could see an opportunity and take off with your valuables.

You never know these days.

We had an unpleasant run-in with some unsavory vacationers on Grand Cayman. Luckily the homeowner of the beach house was there and saw what happened. She sent out her private security guard to help us. They were frat/sorority looking types.

Cant live like that,you will be paranoid over everything.Life is too short to worry..Most people wont steal from you.If they do it unfortunate luck but you prolly wouldnt have stopped it anyways.

Thanks! That latch seems like a weak point.

IT IS!!! I've had several of them break. The first time I was wearing it around my neck and noticed dollar bills floating in the water. Luckily my ID hadn't washed out yet.

After many uses while swimming in salt water and sun exposure, it will break. I've been using the water wallets for over almost 20 years and every one of them failed at the latch at some point.

So now I keep a large rubber band over the wallet along with the latch secured.

I usually bring 2 on every cruise.

Edited by mdrobtx

• 2 weeks later...

I love the Kyss bags. I've used mine several times & it still looks new. It has a combination lock on a chain attached to the bag. You wrap the chain around something secure and thru the zipper pulls and everything is secure. I've given a couple as gifts- I love mine so much!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums