Poor attitude of Celebrity cuise staff toward injured passengers

rashroff

I'm going to go at this from Celebrity's point of view. They do not know what kind of insurance you have, and what kind of hospital coverage there is. They are actually not even responsible for getting passengers to a hospital at all, although they normally do see that the port agent makes all necessary arrangements. Celebrity cannot have their own personnel in every single port they visit -- that is why they contract with the port agent. I think that the OP was expecting too much.

On the thread for another cruise line there are often posts about passengers who have had to leave the ship in a port due to illness or injury.

The story on for that thread has been the same in every case (and it did not matter if the injury occurred on the ship or on shore or whose fault, if any, it was):

o Cruise line arranged transportation to the hospital

o Port agent arranged for a place for family member also leaving the ship to stay (at passenger's expense)

o Family member would receive a call daily from cruise line or port agent to check on status and provide any additional assistance needed. Sometimes it would be a call from the ship's doctor to make sure the patient was receiving proper care.

o Assistance in arranging transportation home (at passenger's expense).

Of course some of the things at passenger's expense might end up being covered by the passenger's trip insurance.

Edited by caribill

I totally disagree with you, as we went through a very similar thing with our mom who was hit by a swinging door on board the ship and she was thrown to the floor and broke her hip. The first thing the ship's Doctor did was ask if we had medical coverage, what kind it was and all the rest. To say that the treatment we received, and that mom received, from the medical center was good, is definitely not true. When we told the doctor that we wanted mom evacuated back to our home town for surgery, the doctor said Miami wouldn't allow it. We had to go to either FLL or Miami, period!!!!! We nearly begged for the med evac jet to fly her home, but it wasn't allowed, and we never did get an explanation as to why. When we got to the hospital in FLL, the emergency room doctor was appalled by the treatment, or lack thereof, mom got in he medical center. And I won't go into the whole story, but suffice it to say that once mom was in the ambulance to go to the airport, I was basically left on the dock and left to fend for myself to get to FLL on a commercial flight.

So don't poo-poo the OP's experience unless you've gone through something similar, like our family did.

You don't mention some key factors here. What year? What cruise line? Where were you when the event happened? Where did you originally board? Where was it that you lived?

If you boarded in Miami, but you lived in Nebraska...well then I think the cruise line acted appropriately. Also, when you are very distraught the last thing a doctor will attempt to do is defend other medical professionals and disabuse you of your anger at the time. However, I would be willing to bet that he would be very reluctant to testify in any malpractice suit. Also, are you saying there was no car service or cab at the port to you could use to take you to the hospital? I find that very hard to believe.

I don't know what a "typical" slip/fall case outcome is for cruise ships, but they might want to try to get the best possible outcome, under the circumstances, for a couple of reasons...to be decent human beings and to lessen lawsuit potential. A little kindness can go a long way.

In cases like this all cruise line should do is to pack your belongings and call for ambulance .What happens to you after it's not cruise line problem. Insurance should take care of your from this point.

The OP has never come back to say what kind of travel insurance their parents had (not their own personal insurance, but travel insurance). It is also possible that being 85 and distraught, his father misunderstood options/instructions (for him to say his wife did not receive food for 48 hours defies belief).

It is a sad situation to be sure, but a good reminder as to how important it is to have good coverage while you are traveling.

I totally disagree with you, as we went through a very similar thing with our mom who was hit by a swinging door on board the ship and she was thrown to the floor and broke her hip. The first thing the ship's Doctor did was ask if we had medical coverage, what kind it was and all the rest. To say that the treatment we received, and that mom received, from the medical center was good, is definitely not true. When we told the doctor that we wanted mom evacuated back to our home town for surgery, the doctor said Miami wouldn't allow it. We had to go to either FLL or Miami, period!!!!! We nearly begged for the med evac jet to fly her home, but it wasn't allowed, and we never did get an explanation as to why. When we got to the hospital in FLL, the emergency room doctor was appalled by the treatment, or lack thereof, mom got in he medical center. And I won't go into the whole story, but suffice it to say that once mom was in the ambulance to go to the airport, I was basically left on the dock and left to fend for myself to get to FLL on a commercial flight.

So don't poo-poo the OP's experience unless you've gone through something similar, like our family did.

You could have had her evacuated to your home town if you paid for it. Most travel insurance will only pay for evacuation to the medical facility they chose. Usually that is the closest facility that is capable of treating the illness. If they were in the Caribbean then most likely that would be Miami or Fort Lauderdale (which are the two major airports in that area).

No insurance and the evacuation is totally your choice at your expense.

That is why we have an annual contract with MedJet which will evacuate to the hospital of our choice anytime one of us is hospitalized over 100 miles from home. Even with MedJet they might not carry anyone in additional to the injured person. Depends upon the situation for that particular event (plane capacity, type of injury, other patients, etc.)

Sorry to the OP that your mother had the fall.

I'm sure the reason for little food would be that they were keeping her fasting in preparation for surgery. I've seen numerous times with big hospitals where they've wanted to do emergency surgery only to have it postponed because a more serious emergency required the OR.

Very valid points have been discussed by everyone.

Sometimes I wonder if they try not to get involved to avoid liability. Once, I was sitting in the theater and a waiter, while serving drinks to the row behind us, dropped a tray of drinks on my head and I had a cut and bruises on my face for the remainder of the cruise. I only received an apology after my husband complained. Until then we were told "accidents happen". I wonder if they hesitated to apologize in the event we sued (which would not have happened).

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I must say that at some point, as we age, each of us have to have a plan if we need any medical help while traveling.

And i also think at some point one must give up foreign travel too.

I would never want my parents to travel aboard at that age without someone younger and more skilled at dealing with emergenices.

,Besides travel insurance, the number for 24 support to use this insurance, the name of the port agent and number in every port, and a cell phone that can be use to text any information from their doctors or family back home.

i take my elderly aunt who is 85 to the doctors all the time. She is not proactive, needs to be made to repeat what the doctor said so I know she is unerstanding what she is hearing about her care. I can only image the problems incresae with a language barrier and only a very anxious husband who had to deal with this alone until a relative arrived on the scene.

Hope it all worked out, but this is a cautionary tale for all of us.

Edited by Azulann

k9 - do you mean to say that your travel insurance did not cover such situations? If not, I would consider a different carrier next time as this was a situation where it should have been covered to some degree.... if you had enough evacuation coverage for the sailing you were on.

Or are you saying it was X's responsibility to evacuate your mother and yourself, at their expense, due to the unfortunate incident?

Please elaborate more of your expectation and your or your mothers responsibility for getting home in this dire emergency?

bon voyage

bon voyage

I think the responses which say it is "irresponsible" for elderly persons to travel and that family members should not "allow it" are hilarious. Since when (at least in America) have elderly persons of sound mind been denied the right to do as they please? They have just as much right to make risky decisions as anyone else -- and more freedom to do so, really, as most likely they no longer have dependents!

We had taken the insurance recommended by Celebrity. The insurance company did not respond for 4-5 days. My mother had to pay the entire deposit of 3500 euro for admission. She was kept on a stretcher and not given a proper bed and proper food for more than 48 hours and that is the reason her post operative recovery is so greatly delayed. Celebrity carried thousands of senior citizens every year . The least they can do is have a representative to help the old injured passenger get started with their treatment and guide them regarding the insurance paperwork.

Celebrity carried thousands of senior citizens every year . The least they can do is have a representative to help the old injured passenger get started with their treatment and guide them regarding the insurance paperwork.

You mean like hotels and airlines do?

We had taken the insurance recommended by Celebrity. The insurance company did not respond for 4-5 days. My mother had to pay the entire deposit of 3500 euro for admission. She was kept on a stretcher and not given a proper bed and proper food for more than 48 hours and that is the reason her post operative recovery is so greatly delayed. Celebrity carried thousands of senior citizens every year . The least they can do is have a representative to help the old injured passenger get started with their treatment and guide them regarding the insurance paperwork.

I think its your insurance company you should be complaining about if they took 4-5 days to respond.

I think the responses which say it is "irresponsible" for elderly persons to travel and that family members should not "allow it" are hilarious. Since when (at least in America) have elderly persons of sound mind been denied the right to do as they please? They have just as much right to make risky decisions as anyone else -- and more freedom to do so, really, as most likely they no longer have dependents!

You are absolutely correct as long as you don't assume the cruise line will hold your hand and walk you through every step along the way should an accident or illness happen. That is what this thread is all about.

Yes, they can make risky decisions but can't rely on others, read cruise line, to pick up the pieces when things go south.

You do know cruise line is not a Nursing home? :cool::rolleyes: How about small kids? Should they care pediatrician as well for them? amaizing:rolleyes:

I think its your insurance company you should be complaining about if they took 4-5 days to respond.

I would agree with this.

In a comment which appears to have been deleted, probably because it was in response to a very derogatory post about non US hospitals, I detailed the exemplary care we had from both the hospital and insurance company when my husband had a heart attack on a cruise in China.

The ship ordered an ambulance, sent a steward to help me pack our luggage and booked a taxi and hotel for me. They also gave me free phone calls to our sons as well as to the insurance company. I did not expect any more from them.

The hospital provided excellent care and a local representative from our insurance company looked after us for the two weeks DH was in hospital and an additional week in a hotel before he was cleared to fly home. They sent a doctor from US to accompany us on the flight and had a limo waiting to take us to our front door.

The responsibility lies with the passenger to have adequate insurance, and with the insurance company to provide care and assistance. The cruise line's duty is to provide care on board and help the passenger to reach a hospital if needed.

I saw too many cases when person should not travel any more. After we saw a women in port ,who did not remember which ship she is from and could not find her card, I told my husband that we should remember it and stop travel in certain time.

Why should the cruise line have any responsibility for your accident? As I said in another post, they are not your mommy. Your hired them to transport you to pre agreed upon places. That is where their responsibility ends.

You say: The least they can do is have a representative to help the old injured passenger get started with their treatment and guide them regarding the insurance paperwork".

Again, why should they? They are not your caregiver. Your are on a cruise ship for &%$#$$^ sake, not in a nursing home. If you need the cruise line to hold your hand as you suggest you either have to bring along someone who can do all the things you want Celebrity to do or stay home.

You are simply wrong. This was not Celebrity's job to do. When a passenger boards their ship they are taking custody of the passenger as an adult takes custody of a child. They are not your parent's caretakers. Your father was there. That was his job. If both your parents are incapable of doing this, then they have no business traveling. Period. I would also urge you not to travel unless you accept responsibility for, and are capable of, responding to a similar emergency situation. This is harshly and plainly stated because your assumptions and expectation, especially after reading the posts here, are just way off base.

I have highlighted one item on your post where I disagree w you. The cruise line is not responsible for getting you home and neither is the local hospital. Did you have MedJet insurance? If not, you are totally responsible for arranging and paying for MedJet evacuation.

DON

I saw too many cases when person should not travel any more. After we saw a women in port ,who did not remember which ship she is from and could not find her card, I told my husband that we should remember it and stop travel in certain time.

That reminded me of the time there was an elderly woman at our cabin (we were in an aft) at our door trying to get in with her keycard. She had absolutely no idea what her cabin number was, and was almost in tears. We invited her in while we called guest relations, told them her name and they told her her cabin number. Not even the same deck, not even the same part of the ship, not one number the same.

Most insurance companies have 24 hour help lines come on I know your mother fell and your dad was left but really u take out insurance to provide assistance they haven't done there job

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

k9 - do you mean to say that your travel insurance did not cover such situations? If not, I would consider a different carrier next time as this was a situation where it should have been covered to some degree.... if you had enough evacuation coverage for the sailing you were on.

Or are you saying it was X's responsibility to evacuate your mother and yourself, at their expense, due to the unfortunate incident?

Please elaborate more of your expectation and your or your mothers responsibility for getting home in this dire emergency?

bon voyage

bon voyage

No, no, no. What I'm saying is that Celebrity Corporate in Miami made the decision on where to evacuate my mom, without consulting us at all. We were told by the doctor that we could only choose FLL or Miami. It had nothing to do with our insurance. Despite my speaking to someone at the head office, and telling them we wanted to fly her home so that her doctor could do the surgery, Celebrity made ALL the arrangements for the evac. We had no choice. She was flown to a hospital in FLL. My sister was with mom in the medical jet (the personnel on the jet were wonderful), and I was basically left to get myself to FLL to meet up with them.

And FYI, we had to pay for everything up front and then handle the insurance. Thanks to Am Ex that gave both my sister and I a huge line of credit, we had no problem covering the expenses, pre insurance.