The Global Entry CARD myth

Tennessee Titan

How does one get the expedited security check in based upon age alone - we have not yet seen this happen.

LAX does not use Pre-Check and refused any provisions based upon age. Everyone goes through the exact same cattle call.

If you are 75 and up, you are permitted to leave your shoes on and leave a LIGHT jacket on as you go through the regular line. It does not grant you access to the PreCheck line.

But, then, you have to get a set of TSA smurfs staffing your checkpoint that actually KNOW this and can tell from your ID that you are indeed at that age :rolleyes: I'll bet this little provision is not taught as part of the quickie course... Again, ask for a supervisor...

There are times during that day that different TSA checkpoints will not staff the PreCheck line - those smurfs have to have their mandated 30 minute meal time and those 2 mandated 15 minute breaks. You gotta get in line with the regular folks. BUT, when this happens, normally I've been given the "PreCheck lite" card that lets me keep my shoes on, my Kippie bag in my bag, but am forced to opt out of the nude-o-scope because I can not do it (thanks to a bum shoulder I cannot "assume the position"). I then get the "freedom grope". I had this at the AA terminal at LAX and SAV (one checkpoint for the whole airport) I've been lucky that everywhere else had the PreCheck line running.

There has been a lot of complaining about TSA not running PreCheck lanes. Of course TSA blames Congress for not sufficiently funding them and Congress says no additional funding until TSA gets better at their basic job. Doesn't help that PreCheck has not attracted the number of paid participants that TSA had hoped.

There has been a lot of complaining about TSA not running PreCheck lanes. Of course TSA blames Congress for not sufficiently funding them and Congress says no additional funding until TSA gets better at their basic job. Doesn't help that PreCheck has not attracted the number of paid participants that TSA had hoped.

Will we get our GOES application fee money back? :confused::cool:

There has been a lot of complaining about TSA not running PreCheck lanes. Of course TSA blames Congress for not sufficiently funding them and Congress says no additional funding until TSA gets better at their basic job.

Which came first: the chicken or the egg!

Will we get our GOES application fee money back? :confused::cool:

Why should you get your fees you paid for Global Entry? You paid for the privilege of entering the US easier than the general public. PreCheck is just an addition to it...

Why should you get your fees you paid for Global Entry? You paid for the privilege of entering the US easier than the general public. PreCheck is just an addition to it...

The OP may be correct as our GE fees are paid by our credit card! Within a month after applying and paying the fee it showed as a credit in our card[emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was a joke. Sorry.

Edited by OlsSalt

It was a joke. Sorry.

I understood it as a joke or tongue in cheek post so no need to apologize. Sure I like PreCheck and I don't like it when the lanes are closed because at some level I feel I paid for it. Truth for me is when I enrolled in GE there was no PreCheck interview office in San Antonio but that's what I really wanted. The closest PreCheck office at that time was 100 miles away and I figured I'd spend more in gas than the $15 difference between just PreCheck at $85 for five years and GE for $100 for five years. So while I really wanted PreCheck, my wife already had it through being a DoD employee, I enrolled in GE since there was an interview office nine miles from my house. After some thought about our future planned trips to Europe and Mexico she decided to also enroll in GE. Works for us and as long as we travel outside the US we'll keep GE.

Edited by Randyk47

I understood it as a joke or tongue in cheek post so no need to apologize. Sure I like PreCheck and I don't like it when the lanes are closed because at some level I feel I paid for it. Truth for me is when I enrolled in GE there was no PreCheck interview office in San Antonio but that's what I really wanted. The closest PreCheck office at that time was 100 miles away and I figured I'd spend more in gas than the $15 difference between just PreCheck at $85 for five years and GE for $100 for five years. So while I really wanted PreCheck, my wife already had it through being a DoD employee, I enrolled in GE since there was an interview office nine miles from my house. After some thought about our future planned trips to Europe and Mexico she decided to also enroll in GE. Works for us and as long as we travel outside the US we'll keep GE.

Got it. Good point. Kind of like getting free coffee when you pay for the snack at the Explorations Cafe. Or, getting a free snack when you pay for the coffee.

Got it. Good point. Kind of like getting free coffee when you pay for the snack at the Explorations Cafe. Or, getting a free snack when you pay for the coffee.

Sorry I did not get the joke, I'll be more careful next time. We had Pre Check but recently purchased GE. I guess I may be confused, they are separate, correct? PreCheck is for boarding air and GE speeds up the Customs and Immigration process due to shorter lines, if they exist, correct. Also have the GE ID card but our Passport is registered with C and I plus we were fingerprinted. It's my understanding that when you go thru GE you scan your Passport either by showing or Kiosk? We'll use it for the 1st time when we return from our Caribbean Cruise in Port Everglades. I suppose it will be a learning experience.

It was a joke. Sorry.

No problem. Some people would really think this way, so it was hard to know one way or the other. I guess I've been swayed by too many whining guests asking for things back or freebies, or those who have been complaining about wanting their cruise money back because they can't sail for one reason or another...

Sorry I did not get the joke, I'll be more careful next time. We had Pre Check but recently purchased GE. I guess I may be confused, they are separate, correct? PreCheck is for boarding air and GE speeds up the Customs and Immigration process due to shorter lines, if they exist, correct. Also have the GE ID card but our Passport is registered with C and I plus we were fingerprinted. It's my understanding that when you go thru GE you scan your Passport either by showing or Kiosk? We'll use it for the 1st time when we return from our Caribbean Cruise in Port Everglades. I suppose it will be a learning experience.

You scan your passport and finger prints at the GE kiosk. When we came in through Port Everglades in March they hadn't installed any kiosk in Terminal 19 but they did have a GE lane. We had to show our GE cards and breezed right through. Having to use your card is unusual and, in fact, this has been the one and only time when it's been needed. I don't know if every terminal now has kiosks but it sounds like that's the plan.

Yes, PreCheck and Global Entry are separate Trusted Traveler programs. As you stated PreCheck is for expedited screening at airport security checkpoints. Global Entry is for expedited reentry through Customs and Immigration. Global Entry enrollment is unique in that it includes PreCheck whereas PreCheck enrollment has no other benefits connected.

You scan your passport and finger prints at the GE kiosk. When we came in through Port Everglades in March they hadn't installed any kiosk in Terminal 19 but they did have a GE lane. We had to show our GE cards and breezed right through. Having to use your card is unusual and, in fact, this has been the one and only time when it's been needed. I don't know if every terminal now has kiosks but it sounds like that's the plan.

Yes, PreCheck and Global Entry are separate Trusted Traveler programs. As you stated PreCheck is for expedited screening at airport security checkpoints. Global Entry is for expedited reentry through Customs and Immigration. Global Entry enrollment is unique in that it includes PreCheck whereas PreCheck enrollment has no other benefits connected.

REMINDER: You can be randomly non-selected for any Trusted Traveler program (i.e., PreCheck, Global Entry). Doesn't happen often but it can happen. If you consistently get non-selected then there's an issue and that would have to be checked out.

REMINDER: You can be randomly non-selected for any Trusted Traveler program (i.e., PreCheck, Global Entry). Doesn't happen often but it can happen. If you consistently get non-selected then there's an issue and that would have to be checked out.

Assuming you might be talking about the dreaded SSSS on the boarding pass, how does one "check it out" if this becomes a pattern for any one individual.

Do you think my two trips to Pakistan might trigger something like this? :eek:

We came back through Dulles in September and GE was the ticket. We scanned our passport, did the fingerprints and bypassed I don't know how many people. Our entire custom/immigration experience was about 10 minutes. :p

Assuming you might be talking about the dreaded SSSS on the boarding pass, how does one "check it out" if this becomes a pattern for any one individual.

Do you think my two trips to Pakistan might trigger something like this? :eek:

No, that's not what he was talking about. Having PreCheck does not guarantee that you will be able to go through the PreCheck lane every time. It greatly increases the odds to where you probably will get it 99% of the time. BUT, you can get a boarding pass without the PreCheck authorization due to randomization of the process.

The SSSS is something totally different. Some are random, but some are because your behaviors have triggered an alert somewhere. If you believe you are being targeted unfairly or in error, you can request information through FOIA or start the process for redress through DHS...

No, that's not what he was talking about. Having PreCheck does not guarantee that you will be able to go through the PreCheck lane every time. It greatly increases the odds to where you probably will get it 99% of the time. BUT, you can get a boarding pass without the PreCheck authorization due to randomization of the process.

The SSSS is something totally different. Some are random, but some are because your behaviors have triggered an alert somewhere. If you believe you are being targeted unfairly or in error, you can request information through FOIA or start the process for redress through DHS...

Exactly. Same is true for GE. You can get randomly selected for the big black "X" which causes you to have to deal face to face with a CBP agent/officer. Again, it doesn't happen often and actually we've never had it happen but it can. It becomes an issue when it happens all the time or very frequently.

Edited by Randyk47

Thanks for the tips. Do you know anyone who has had success with this?

Thanks for the tips. Do you know anyone who has had success with this?

I can't link to it because of the advertising content but there is a site that is air travel based and there is a significant section on the various Trusted Traveler programs. If the postings are to be believed, and I have no reason to question the vast majority of them, there are people who have gotten on some watchlist through no fault of their own and have gotten removed or given a redress number. The most common problem is same or similar names and the second is probably what looks like questionable travel to countries that are on some kind of watchlist. I don't know of anybody who has been flagged because of the countries visited during a cruise. In fact when Mrs K and I got our GE we had a pretty substantial list of Caribbean and European countries on our applications. The agent said "You cruise a lot?" with a smile. Wasn't an issue.

Have to say that getting denied PreCheck or getting the black "X" with GE or even the dreaded SSSS occasionally is not cause for alarm and actually nothing you can do about it. If you consistently, like in always, get denied or selected for additional screening then there is an issue.

Edited by Randyk47

I can't link to it because of the advertising content but there is a site that is air travel based and there is a significant section on the various Trusted Traveler programs. If the postings are to be believed, and I have no reason to question the vast majority of them, there are people who have gotten on some watchlist through no fault of their own and have gotten removed or given a redress number. The most common problem is same or similar names and the second is probably what looks like questionable travel to countries that are on some kind of watchlist. I don't know of anybody who has been flagged because of the countries visited during a cruise. In fact when Mrs K and I got our GE we had a pretty substantial list of Caribbean and European countries on our applications. The agent said "You cruise a lot?" with a smile. Wasn't an issue.

Have to say that getting denied PreCheck or getting the black "X" with GE or even the dreaded SSSS occasionally is not cause for alarm and actually nothing you can do about it. If you consistently, like in always, get denied or selected for additional screening then there is an issue.

I don't know which site you are avoiding to name, but one of the best is http://www.flyertalk.com

While I can appreciate that both TSA Pre-check and GOES have some limitations, they have saved us countless hours on line already.

We just returned to Port Everglades yesterday and were among the last third of the shop to disembark. The lines were very long, but with GOES we walked right up to the line (only 1 traveler ahead of us) and were in and out in seconds.

With an 8:45 disembarkation time, we actually got to Park 'n Go and were in our own car by 9:04 AM. That's a record for us. I fully support the GOES program even if it doesn't work every time.

It is a good idea to carry your GOES card with you when you travel - because sometimes you are requested to show it before you can proceed to the kiosks to enter your prints and passport. Showing it should not be necessary, but some entry facilities require it because of the numbers of ineligible people thinking that they can save time by going to a kiosk. Several times I have been stuck behind people who kept trying to get it to work for them.

Sounds like CBP needs to modify their instructions to GE applicants to have their cards when traveling.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The only real mention I can easily find on the Global Entry site about carrying or using the GE card deals with land border crossings. I also see where it says you can't use it at a GE kiosk. Now when we were interviewed the CBP agent recommended we carry it for the reasons I already mentioned. He did say it could be used as ID at security checkpoints but warned that some of his "TSA brothers and sisters" occasionally bulked regardless of it being valid. He also added that while the GE program includes PreCheck it had to be printed on your boarding pass and that you couldn't use the GE card by itself to access PreCheck. He didn't mention what I call "line sorters" but then my personal experience has been most if not all have been airport or airline employees and not CBP personnel.