Respiratory illness on Island Princess Nov 1-16 cruise

chloe45

About 3 days into cruise I thought I was coming down with acute bronchitis. Went to the medical center and got a script for antibiotics and cough syrup. Cost $250.57. DH got sick 3 days before the end of the cruise. He didn't go to the medical center but had me go to shops to get cough syrup and Dayquil. There where 4 other passengers lined up with the same thing in there hands. We talked to some people and many had coughs and one person said his wife went to the medical center after several days of being sick and had pneumonia. DH went to doctor the day we got home and he was diagnosed with pneumonia. That's probably what I had as well. His doctor said it's a well known fact within the medical community that cruise ships are a breeding ground for this type of pneumonia. She said they will tell you on the ship it's not contagious but it is. That's what they told me at the medical center. This is the 3rd or 4th time I've gotten a respiratory illness on a Princess cruise ship. I've got a cruise booked for next December but considering canceling since getting sick pretty much ruins the trip.

Fortunately I had Princess insurance and it looks like they will reimburse me. My regular medical insurance would not. They said it wasn't a life or limb situation.

About 3 days into cruise I thought I was coming down with acute bronchitis. Went to the medical center and got a script for antibiotics and cough syrup. Cost $250.57. DH got sick 3 days before the end of the cruise. He didn't go to the medical center but had me go to shops to get cough syrup and Dayquil. There where 4 other passengers lined up with the same thing in there hands. We talked to some people and many had coughs and one person said his wife went to the medical center after several days of being sick and had pneumonia. DH went to doctor the day we got home and he was diagnosed with pneumonia. That's probably what I had as well. His doctor said it's a well known fact within the medical community that cruise ships are a breeding ground for this type of pneumonia. She said they will tell you on the ship it's not contagious but it is. That's what they told me at the medical center. This is the 3rd or 4th time I've gotten a respiratory illness on a Princess cruise ship. I've got a cruise booked for next December but considering canceling since getting sick pretty much ruins the trip.

Fortunately I had Princess insurance and it looks like they will reimburse me. My regular medical insurance would not. They said it wasn't a life or limb situation.

Cruise Hack! We have partaked on almost every cruise on Princess.

Its unfortunate but its always there. :(

Agreed. It is an unfortunate part of cruising. People in close proximity and it is true that older people are more susceptible. It really does ruin the cruise.

We have been on 5 cruises, and 3 of them had outbreaks of cough or norovirus.

Wash your hands! And hope you get lucky. It is one of the few downsides of cruising.

We caught the "kennel" cough on the Caribbean Princess, 4 days before the end of the cruise. We boarded the Royal Princess and many were hacking and coughing on the ships as well. Also, noro was on the Caribbean Princess 6 days into the cruise. DH and I didn't get sick, but plenty of others were. Not surprised with all the people licking their fingers in the buffet. One sat right right across from me working her fingers over and another as well. I did say something and got grilled on how she was an RN and knew all about the noro. Glad she'll never be my nurse.:eek: BTW, CDC boarded the ship at the end of the cruise which is standard procedure.

The wife and I have the same problem with the respiratory infections on some cruises. We are as careful as we can realistically be and it still happens. It's frustrating because we love cruising but can only take so much. Those respiratory infections lay me up for 3 to 4 weeks. It's brutal.

We have 2 cruises on the books right now, I just hope we can get through them without any issues. It's tough because it becomes airborne and hard to avoid every time.

Fingers crossed.

We were on the same cruise.

I know there were a couple of cases of flu, with pax confined to their cabins.

And, yes, some coughing going around. I did hear that the medical center was busy.

But we are very careful about using the Purell (I saw a woman on the way into the dining room who refused a squirt from the staff - allergy????) and washing our hands frequently. My husband came home unscathed from this cruise but on the one before (not Princess) developed a horrible cough. So not limited to Princess.

After a couple of days home, I developed a slight cold but no cough. Which could just as well have been a result of our flight home. No way to tell.

I get the "kennel" cough on almost every cruise we take. When I catch a cold, I almost always get bronchitis. Wonderful stuff.

We were on the Crown for 43 days...DH caught someone's cold on approx. day 15 and I came down with it 3 days later (thanks DH!). I'm still coughing (although a lot less) and its been 40 days.

We'll be on the Star next week, just in time to start coughing all over again.

I came off the NCL Epic transatlantic nearly two weeks ago and am still fighting a respiratory illness I contracted during the crossing. Worst of it is that I have lost my voice and it shows no sign of improvement after 10 days. Back to Doctor I go in the am :eek:

It seemed half the ship had "the cough" by the time we landed in the US.

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72

I came off the NCL Epic transatlantic nearly two weeks ago and am still fighting a respiratory illness I contracted during the crossing. Worst of it is that I have lost my voice and it shows no sign of improvement after 10days. Back to dr I go in the am ��

It seemed half the ship had "the cough" by the time we landed in the US.

Usually (but not always) when you lose your voice it's due to Post Nasal Drip. Ask your doctor if it's OK for you to use Atrovent Nasal Spray 0.06% (Ipatropium Bromide). I've been using it for years whenever a cold with sore throat starts. Sore throat goes away and cold symptoms are usually decreased (although didn't seem like it with the cold I talked about in my previous post).

I was on the Grandeur of the Seas from October 31 to November 12 th. About four days before the end of the cruise I started with a terrible cough. It lasted for about 10 days after I got home. I've been on a lot of cruises and this is the first time I ever got a cold.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No amount of washing your hands is going to prevent an respiratory illness that is airborne. Probably helps with the norovirus though. Funny that they confine you to your cabin for the flu but not for the cough (contagious bronchitis or pneumonia). I can see why. If a lot of people were confined to their cabin for many cruises, people would stop cruising. When I get sick I'm usually in bed most of the day and not hungry so eating is not an issue.

Hand washing helps if you have touched something that has been coughed on. Or touched by someone who has a cold and has coughed or sneezed into their hand. It doesn't necessarily need to be airborne. Guess it pretty much depends on exactly what is causing the cough. Bacterial? Viral?

I have to admit I can be a bit obsessive about some of this stuff. I am the person that carries antiseptic wipes and cleans the airplane tray, armrests, air flow control and seatbelt. I also wipe down the cabin: TV remotes, telephone, door handles, for example. All only takes a minute and if it only once keeps us from getting sick, I think it is worth it.

Hand washing helps if you have touched something that has been coughed on. Or touched by someone who has a cold and has coughed or sneezed into their hand. It doesn't necessarily need to be airborne. Guess it pretty much depends on exactly what is causing the cough. Bacterial? Viral?

I have to admit I can be a bit obsessive about some of this stuff. I am the person that carries antiseptic wipes and cleans the airplane tray, armrests, air flow control and seatbelt. I also wipe down the cabin: TV remotes, telephone, door handles, for example. All only takes a minute and if it only once keeps us from getting sick, I think it is worth it.

Diane, valid point.

Did you fly to the embarkation port?

Being ill 3 days into the cruise could mean you caught the germs in an airport or on a plane before the cruise.

I would tend to agree. The incubation period for viruses is generally 3-5 days. Flying is absolutely the best way to expose yourself to numerous airborne viruses over the course of several hours. Consider, you are in a pressurized tube, but one that is pressurized at about the equivalent of being at 8000 ft. above sea level in which the air is being recycled over and over again, therefore an infected passenger may be contaminating the air that everyone is breathing.

On the other hand, on board a ship you are at sea level and the ship's air conditioning system is expelling stale air from the vessel and bringing in new air all of the time, there is absolutely no efficiency reason to recycle air aboard a ship. On top of that there are hundreds of balcony cabins with doors that open and close with great frequency thus helping bring fresh air into the vessel, along with all the fresh air that comes in from the doorways on the upper decks and the doorways on the promenade.

Sure it would be possible to catch an airborne virus from somebody on board if you were in direct contact with their sputum from a sneeze or cough and you were in close proximity to them; and you could easily catch same virus if they sneezed on a touchable surface or into their hands and then spread that onto a touchable surface and then you in turn touched that surface and then touched your eyes, nose, or mouth, but there is so much air movement on a ship and so much fresh air being pumped aboard a ship that a meandering airborne virus would be unlikely.

Just as an example about air movement on board. If you leave your balcony door open and then open your cabin door you will have a huge air rush through your cabin, this is because there is a slight positive air pressure inside the ship compared with the outside. Again, and indicator of a lot of air movement and flow, something that you just don't get on an airplane.

Edited by jeromep

I don't believe air travel is the problem for us. We drive to the port about half the time. Anyway we both fly for work and for other leisure travel and rarely get sick. But we nearly always get sick cruising. We are very close to quitting. It isn't even close to worth it whe these infections last over a month.

I think we just don't sleep as well on the ship and this weakens the immune system. Sadly, Princess does not allow us to cool the room at night as much as we would like. We have never resorted to sleeping with the balcony door open. I wonder if bringing a fan is an option.

Maybe it was the salt.

Well, it was not the salt on the last two cruises because we now request low sodium food.

Not every passenger gets the flu. If you do not, great for you. Sadly many people do. Princess knows this. That is why there is a letter in the room from the doctor. Only a few years ago this letter only mentioned Noro. Now it mentions both Noro and influenza. Why?

For the OP and the many other passengers who find themselves getting respiratory infections, before you blame the airlines, consider the quality of sleep you may be getting on the ship.

I would tend to agree. The incubation period for viruses is generally 3-5 days. Flying is absolutely the best way to expose yourself to numerous airborne viruses over the course of several hours. Consider, you are in a pressurized tube, but one that is pressurized at about the equivalent of being at 8000 ft. above sea level in which the air is being recycled over and over again, therefore an infected passenger may be contaminating the air that everyone is breathing.

On the other hand, on board a ship you are at sea level and the ship's air conditioning system is expelling stale air from the vessel and bringing in new air all of the time, there is absolutely no efficiency reason to recycle air aboard a ship. On top of that there are hundreds of balcony cabins with doors that open and close with great frequency thus helping bring fresh air into the vessel, along with all the fresh air that comes in from the doorways on the upper decks and the doorways on the promenade.

Sure it would be possible to catch an airborne virus from somebody on board if you were in direct contact with their sputum from a sneeze or cough and you were in close proximity to them; and you could easily catch same virus if they sneezed on a touchable surface or into their hands and then spread that onto a touchable surface and then you in turn touched that surface and then touched your eyes, nose, or mouth, but there is so much air movement on a ship and so much fresh air being pumped aboard a ship that a meandering airborne virus would be unlikely.

Just as an example about air movement on board. If you leave your balcony door open and then open your cabin door you will have a huge air rush through your cabin, this is because there is a slight positive air pressure inside the ship compared with the outside. Again, and indicator of a lot of air movement and flow, something that you just don't get on an airplane.

I've spent many millions of miles in an aircraft and my fiancé has me beat. Being in the industry, it gets old seeing people blame sickness on "recycled" air. In the last decade of flying, all I've ever come down with is mild colds - and that's not often.

The things you touch on the plane (seat, tray table, fuselage wall, windows, IFE, etc) are possible culprits of bacterial and viruses. But it's not the airflow.

The idea of a germ-ridden, recycled, in-flight air supply is one of the most widely propagated urban myths about airline sanitation out there. As a result, many people assume that if so much as one person on their flight is sick with something, everyone on board will have the misfortune of breathing in that person's germs — all thanks to the cabin's "recirculated" air supply.

In reality, the air you breath on a typical aircraft is thoroughly clean. Fresh air from outside the plane is continuously drawn into the cabin via what are known as compressor stages in the jet's engines. These stages compress the very cold and extremely thin air from outside the plane until its pressure matches that of the cabin. Pressurizing the air also heats it up, so it's cooled back down before passing through High-Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) filters (which remove a minimum of 99.97% of any airborne particulates, bacteria and viruses).

Yes, the fresh air from outside the plane combines with SOME air that's already been making the rounds in the cabin for a little while — but that circulating air started out as fresh external air itself, and it too has been cycling through HEPA filters when being mixed with the freshly compressed air. What's more, recirculating cabin air is continuously released from the plane via outflow valves, so air inside the plane is constantly being replaced by the fresh air from outside. In fact, the average airplane's cabin air is completely refreshed about 20 times per hour. By comparison, the air in your average office building (which isn't always HEPA-filtered) is refreshed just 12 times per hour. In other words, the air you breathe at cruising altitude is most likely significantly cleaner than just about any you're liable to find on the ground.

It's not the air. If anything, it's what you're touching. Wipe down anything you're going to touch and make sure you wash your hands frequently. Nothing in/around the seats is disinfected between flights unless there was a specific need for it at a specific seat.

If anything, it's what you're touching. Wipe down anything you're going to touch and make sure you wash your hands frequently. Nothing in/around the seats is disinfected between flights unless there was a specific need for it at a specific seat.

I once read that the dirtiest place on a plane was the seat pocket in front of you and to avoid using it if at all possible.

We do the very same thing! No noro as yet and very minimal respiratory infections. We board the Royal in February for our 31st Princess cruise.

A point of order. Pneumonia itself is not contagious, they are technically correct in saying that. All Pneumonia means is basically a bad bronchial infection.

It's the infectious agent that causes the pneumonia that can be spread depending on what it is (it can be a virus, bacteria, parasite or particulate, with the last two not being generally infections). And how it spreads will depend on a lot on the particular route cause (which the ship is probably not equipped to diagnose to that level).

The issue with airplanes and cruise ships is not so much the airflow (see the excellent description above). Most virii and bacteria when expelled travel in a fairly small radius, they don't 'float'. The issue is simply the compression of humans in a small space providing multiple vectors for transmission.

If there is an outbreak of anything on the ship, the best thing you can do to protect yourself is wash your hands. Especially right when you enter your cabin, that way if you carry anything in you aren't contaminating items you may use later.

Other tricks that have worked well.. Every so often, clean off your key cards. Handle menus at the top (most grab from the bottom). Avoid public restrooms when possible (your cabin is usually not that far away). Immediately wash hands after landing on a plane, exiting the terminal onto the ship..

When you have 5000 people in a floating hotel, illness WILL spread.