[LIVE] From the Serenade of the Seas 2-12 December 2016

Day 3 - Sunday - December 4, 2016 - At Sea

Two new photos came in late yesterday.

Booty

Booty-Dec-03_zps7rwjdahm.jpg

Red Dog walked with Shelly, our dog, cat, and chicken watcher, half way down to the chicken coop but then abandoned her and headed back to the front yard.

RedDog-02_zpsboz3itzy.jpg

Later today I will start posting the"Today's Activities" page from the daily CRUISE COMPASS.

Also, I will shoot a photo of the Mini Bar "ordering thingie."

When we arrived in our cabin the Mini Bar was empty and now there is an "ordering thingie" that you can hang on your door knob in the hallway outside the cabin and order (and be billed for) whatever you want.

Hi. Enjoying your review a lot!

Is Topi Ylönen the cruise director? We are on Serenade in one month and his current contract should be on until March according to his website. How do you like him? He's Finnish like us, which is pretty cool considering how rare it is bumbing into Finns on RCCL. Last spring my wife and I were the only guests from Finland.

Also, I will shoot a photo of the Mini Bar "ordering thingie."

When we arrived in our cabin the Mini Bar was empty and now there is an "ordering thingie" that you can hang on your door knob in the hallway outside the cabin and order (and be billed for) whatever you want.

OMG!! I am SOooo happy they are starting to do that now! Seems every other cruise

we get a small annoying charge AFTER the cruise is complete that is always a mini

bar charge, even though we have never used it, as do others quite often apparently.

Hopefully this will help end those nefarious charges and also the waste of the food

and beverages in those mini bars that just get outdated and stale. :eek: Plus

such a waste of time to have them come around to replenish or check. :(

Wonder if other ships are doing that yet?

Edited by island lady

...When we arrived in our cabin the Mini Bar was empty and now there is an "ordering thingie" that you can hang on your door knob in the hallway outside the cabin and order (and be billed for) whatever you want.

OMG!! I am SOooo happy they are starting to do that now! Seems every other cruise

we get a small annoying charge AFTER the cruise is complete that is always a mini

bar charge, even though we have never used it, as do others quite often apparently.

Hopefully this will help end those nefarious charges and also the waste of the food

and beverages in those mini bars that just get outdated and stale. :eek: Plus

such a waste of time to have them come around to replenish or check. :(

Wonder if other ships are doing that yet?

I agree, when its always all-you-can-eat on the ship, why would anyone over pay for snacks from the mini bar??:confused: Always had a hard time even fitting the C&A complimentary water & soda in there. I've also had a couple mysterious small charges appear after getting home, but after spending a thousand/thousands, it felt a little petty to call about a less than $10 charge. I was going to the last time, but just plain forgot. Probably has occurred thousands of times...

Thanks for letting us know, T-Man.

I've also had a couple mysterious small charges appear after getting home, but after spending a thousand/thousands, it felt a little petty to call about a less than $10 charge. I was going to the last time, but just plain forgot. Probably has occurred thousands of times...

And you are most likely not alone. Many..many small charges to pax that either

did not want to bother disputing it, or did not notice it. Those charges got to be

quite numerous and can really add up. :eek: Something very fishy there. :(

I hope all ships do as Trainman found out is the case with Serenade.

Sorry to hear about the subpar experience at Chops, but that seems to be what is typically reported lately.

We have gone one step further and been skipping the main Dinning room in favor of the windjammer the food is just as good and 4 times faster.

We have gone one step further and been skipping the main Dinning room in favor of the windjammer the food is just as good and 4 times faster.

That is what we have started doing more often also...which is what I think Jim and Judith do.

Go to dinner when you want, eat the portion size you prefer, no waiting in line for

your reserved table, no finding the food you ordered was not up to par or cold

and having to wait for a replacement, and a lot more choices. We also find if we

go later at night, it is much more quiet than the MDR. Many high end officers in there

dining also.

We have even gone there on formal nights, dressed to the max with tux and cocktail dress. ;)

Edited by island lady

I hope all ships do as Trainman found out is the case with Serenade.

Oasis cabin cooler was empty last month. Agree, it is how it should be.

No more need to remove and store all their stuff, and hope that you do not get "accidently" charged for something.

Trainman - a favor, if possible:

Good to hear the ship changed time - they did not last month on the Oasis, and it was strange.

Please confirm that you are in St. Maarten 7A to 4P local time. I'm doing this Itinerary in Jan as part of a B2B, and a 4P departure would require planning in regards to private excursions.

Thanks, love the reports.

Oasis cabin cooler was empty last month. Agree, it is how it should be.

No more need to remove and store all their stuff, and hope that you do not get "accidently" charged for something.

Yes, the "accidently" part was happening a lot more than people realize. Someone,

or several someones, were making out pretty well on those accidents. ;)

Edited by island lady

The Mini-Bar Door Handle "Thingie"

Mini-Bar_zpscg4uswee.jpg

The Room Service Menu

Room-Service_zpszdfudddk.jpg

Someone didn't do a good job with the math on the soda prices. You can get 6 cans for $12 but double the number of cans and pay not $24, but $32??

If I remember correctly you always mentioned the smoking area on the ship's you were cruising on. I haven't notice it this time. Nine of us will be on in January and two of them are smokers. Could you advise as to where this is allowed? Please, let's not get in a discussion about this . . . I told them I would ask so they know ahead of time. Thank you.