PVSA question

Makin'n'Bacon

Hello, We are looking into booking a 1 day cruise on the Emerald on 9/24 from Seattle to Vancouver then staying in Vancouver for 5 days traveling by train back to Seattle and boarding the Ruby for another 1 day on 9/30 to Vancouver. Now comes the PVSA question part, We booked the Ruby for a 6 day Pacific coastal cruise on 10/1 during the cyber sale that will sail from Vancouver to LA. We have not booked the 1 day cruises so no worry about canceling.

Seattle to Van. 9/24-9/25 (Emerald)

Stay in Vancouver 9/25-9/30

Seattle to Van. 9/30-10/1 (Ruby)

Van. to LA 10/1-10/7 (Ruby)

Would we be violating the PVSA by getting on the Ruby in Seattle (9/30) and disembarking in Vancouver on (10/1) and getting back on the Ruby (10/1) in Vancouver to LA. Sorry if it sounds confusing, any help would be great! Thanks!

Hello' date=' We are looking into booking a 1 day cruise on the Emerald on 9/24 from Seattle to Vancouver then staying in Vancouver for 5 days traveling by train back to Seattle and boarding the Ruby for another 1 day on 9/30 to Vancouver. Now comes the PVSA question part, We booked the Ruby for a 6 day Pacific coastal cruise on 10/1 during the cyber sale that will sail from Vancouver to LA. We have not booked the 1 day cruises so no worry about canceling.

Would we be violating the PVSA by getting on the Ruby in Seattle (9/30) and disembarking in Vancouver on (10/1) and getting back on the Ruby (10/1) in Vancouver to LA. Sorry if it sounds confusing, any help would be great! Thanks![/quote']

What counts is where you get on and off the ship. The B2B cruises may be separate cruises to Princess, but for the purpose of the PVSA they count as one trip, and you can't get on in Seattle and off in LA without a stop at a distant foreign port, such as South America or the South Pacific. Loren

Hello' date=' We are looking into booking a 1 day cruise on the Emerald on 9/24 from Seattle to Vancouver then staying in Vancouver for 5 days traveling by train back to Seattle and boarding the Ruby for another 1 day on 9/30 to Vancouver. Now comes the PVSA question part, We booked the Ruby for a 6 day Pacific coastal cruise on 10/1 during the cyber sale that will sail from Vancouver to LA. We have not booked the 1 day cruises so no worry about canceling.

Would we be violating the PVSA by getting on the Ruby in Seattle (9/30) and disembarking in Vancouver on (10/1) and getting back on the Ruby (10/1) in Vancouver to LA. Sorry if it sounds confusing, any help would be great! Thanks![/quote']

It won't work. DW booked us on an LA to Vancouver 3 day and then a 4 day Vancouver to Ketchikan back to Seattle B2B a year ago. Within 30 minutes after doing the booking Princess called and asked which cruise did we want to cancel. BTW on the Ruby. :D

BTW, the reason is that you are getting on the Ruby in Seattle and ending up in LA. The stop in Vancouver does not meet the criteria for a "distant" foreign port. Same as Wacruzr posted above.

Edited by ar1950

Skip the rush back to Seattle to get on the ship back to Vancouver and stay in Vancouver and you will be legal.

The PVSA will catch you when you board the Ruby in Seattle, and then get off in LA. But, by taking the Emerald to Vancouver, and staying in Vancouver you are ok.

Skip the rush back to Seattle to get on the ship back to Vancouver and stay in Vancouver and you will be legal.

The PVSA will catch you when you board the Ruby in Seattle, and then get off in LA. But, by taking the Emerald to Vancouver, and staying in Vancouver you are ok.

Thank you all for the replies, excuse my confusion on the matter, Just to clairify if we do the Emerald from Seattle to Vancouver (9/24-9/25) for 1 day and then board the Ruby in Vancouver (10/1) to LA (10/7) we will not be violating the PVSA correct?

Emerald Seattle to Vancouver 9/24-25

Stay in Vancouver 9/25-10/1

Ruby Vancouver to LA 10/1-10/7

Thanks!

Edited by Makin'n'Bacon

Thank you all for the replies' date=' excuse my confusion on the matter, Just to clairify if we do the Emerald from Seattle to Vancouver (9/24-9/25) for 1 day and then board the Ruby in Vancouver (10/1) to LA (10/7) we will not be violating the PVSA correct?

Thanks![/quote']

This is totally fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks' date=' will call customer support to verify.[/quote']

Good luck getting a correct answer out of a CSR. But, yes, if you drop the second Seattle to Vancouver 1 nighter you will be fine. Each of your two remaining cruises either begins or ends in a foreign port so the PVSA does not come into play.

This you can do.

This you can not do

Van. to LA 10/1-10/7 (Ruby[/color]

Edited by sknight

No need. We've done the following at least twice:

Seattle to Vancouver on Ship A on 9/18

Overnight in Vancouver on the 19th

Vancouver to SF on Ship B on the 20th.

(A was usually the Golden and B the Star - dates are approximate)

No need. We've done the following at least twice:

Seattle to Vancouver on Ship A on 9/18

Overnight in Vancouver on the 19th

Vancouver to SF on Ship B on the 20th.

(A was usually the Golden and B the Star - dates are approximate)

As long as you change ships in YVR (even staying on the same cruise line), you don't even have to spend the night in YVR to comply with PVSA!

As long as you change ships in YVR (even staying on the same cruise line), you don't even have to spend the night in YVR to comply with PVSA!

I've heard both that you can (as you say), and that you can't because it's the same carrier. Since the times we've done this, there wasn't a second ship in Vancouver that was good for us, we've never tested it.

Would we be violating the PVSA by getting on the Ruby in Seattle (9/30) and disembarking in Vancouver on (10/1) and getting back on the Ruby (10/1) in Vancouver to LA. Sorry if it sounds confusing, any help would be great! Thanks!

No need to call.

Yes you would be in violation.........you must be off the ship for 24 hours or change ships.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

I've heard both that you can (as you say), and that you can't because it's the same carrier. Since the times we've done this, there wasn't a second ship in Vancouver that was good for us, we've never tested it.

Since the law is the Passenger VESSEL Service Act and not the Passenger LINE Service Act, I'm pretty sure that the only requirement is a change of ships. Changing cruise lines is not necessary...

This you can not do

The only reason Princess does those two short cruises is because the PVSA prevents Princess from moving the ship from Seattle directly to LA with passengers who would be on the ship just between those two ports.

Rather than have the ship sail empty between the two cities, they add extra days and have two short cruises full of paying passengers.

Edited by caribill

The only reason Princess does those two short cruises is because the PVSA prevents Princess from moving the ship from Seattle directly to LA with passengers who would be on the ship just between those two ports.

Rather than have the ship sail empty between the two cities, they add extra days and have two short cruises full of paying passengers.

We were at a muster drill on one of the SEA-Vancouver 1 day, and the crew member running the drill asked if anyone was staying on to LA. Almost in unison the entire theater said "We can't".

Since the law is the Passenger VESSEL Service Act and not the Passenger LINE Service Act, I'm pretty sure that the only requirement is a change of ships. Changing cruise lines is not necessary...

You are correct, you can travel within the same cruise line. The requirement is the same ship can't take you between two US ports without a distant foreign port stop.

This you can do.

This you can not do

This is the correct information! You don't want to be caught off guard by having one of your segments canceled.

Edited because YES it applies to all nationalities. I had back to back booked with a 1 day added to a 6 day (La - Van Van - Sea) and they just informed me I could not do that. Cancelled the 1 day. Its unfortunate - the 1 day would have bumped me up to platinum!

Edited by Harriette701

We were at a muster drill on one of the SEA-Vancouver 1 day, and the crew member running the drill asked if anyone was staying on to LA. Almost in unison the entire theater said "We can't".

Technically there could have been a way to stay onboard for the LA portion also, but only if the ship continued on through the Panama canal or to/around South America and had a distant foreign port (such as an ABC island) scheduled before going on to a US port again. You'd have to be on a B2B2B to do the 3 segments...

Thank you all for the replies' date=' excuse my confusion on the matter, Just to clairify if we do the Emerald from Seattle to Vancouver (9/24-9/25) for 1 day and then board the Ruby in Vancouver (10/1) to LA (10/7) we will not be violating the PVSA correct?

Thanks![/quote']

You will not be in violation of the PSA. You will be on two different ships and will be on land for the days between the cruises. You will be fine.

Edited because YES it applies to all nationalities. I had back to back booked with a 1 day added to a 6 day (La - Van Van - Sea) and they just informed me I could not do that. Cancelled the 1 day. Its unfortunate - the 1 day would have bumped me up to platinum!

Actually our son did this to get to Elite. Took one day Seattle-Vancouver, got off ship and got on different ship Vancouver to San Francisco. Also sailed alone, so got four cruise credits for three days of travel. During September there are lots of chances like this. But we prefer to spend a few days in Vancouver between the two cruises.

Actually our son did this to get to Elite. Took one day Seattle-Vancouver, got off ship and got on different ship Vancouver to San Francisco. Also sailed alone, so got four cruise credits for three days of travel. During September there are lots of chances like this. But we prefer to spend a few days in Vancouver between the two cruises.

No he didn't - your son got on a DIFFERENT ship. Not at all the same as what's being discussed here which is staying on the SAME ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk