Missed Embarkation

kreneec28

What about if you are out to sea in the Atlantic on a TA? Anyone been in that situation or heard about someone?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I can't vouch for this story as it is at least 2nd hand but it is a good one anyway. Some friends of ours were on a cruise that stopped in the Caribbean on the way to Europe. A couple got off the ship to go to the beach. They had the normal beach stuff - shorts, bathing gear, a bit of money, no clothes, no passport, no credit cards, etc. They missed the boat and the next stop was in Europe.

Our friends had no idea if they made it to Europe or just went home - after they sorted out their lack of a passport.

Assuming that the story is true, bet that they were really unhappy campers.

DON

I can't vouch for this story as it is at least 2nd hand but it is a good one anyway. Some friends of ours were on a cruise that stopped in the Caribbean on the way to Europe. A couple got off the ship to go to the beach. They had the normal beach stuff - shorts, bathing gear, a bit of money, no clothes, no passport, no credit cards, etc. They missed the boat and the next stop was in Europe.

Our friends had no idea if they made it to Europe or just went home - after they sorted out their lack of a passport.

Ship security will try to locate their passports in the cabin including in the cabin safe. If found, the passports will be given to the port agent.

haha..yes they gave us one of those along with a toothbrush.

Something I should add...the Reflection concierge worked very hard, day AND night, for us trying to locate luggage and get it to the ship. Airlines couldn't work fast enough...luggage was a day behind each port finally gave up and sent the one missing bag home. I can't say enough good things about Celebrity's efforts to help us including 'free' laundry for the few things we had with us (and you can figure out what those 'things' may be)..LOL.

This was the one and only time we didn't fly day ahead of our cruise...timing/business constraints.....but lesson learned.

Edited by oceangoer2

I've only missed the ship once, but luggage was lost three times. Once, I didn't get it until the last day. I've learned my lesson. Direct flights only, and, carry on bag only. It's amazing what you can pack into that bag. It's also amazing how much I used to pack when I started cruising!

Missed the Reflection departing Miami in April and had to fly to San Juan 2 days later. You have to notify Celebrity and a staff member will meet you at the pier and handle your boarding. Our luggage made the first flight so we had to call Miami and have it transfered to SJ. Not something I'd like to go through again.

J.

Last year, snow hit us the night before we were to fly. We live 12 hours from the port, and decided at 8pm to put the luggage in the SUV and drive.....took power naps in the rest areas in Savannah and again in Jacksonville. We made it to the port on time, found a good, safe parking place and we were tired but there!!! During muster, several names were called out, and the officers were informed that these people had cancelled flights and were not going to make it.:eek: 2 days later in San Juan, I noticed 4 of my neighbors from home on the ship!!! They had just boarded, after flying into San Juan, because of cancelled flights out of our home airport (ILM). It hit us right then that we had made the right decision to drive! This year, we booked through Choice Air, and we have given ourselves some extra time. While we were lucky last year, we won't tempt fate again!!

I hope they had trip insurance!!!

I was a no show at boarding on an Alaskan 2014 cruise out of Vancouver because American cancelled my flight and automatically re-booked us to arrive 4 hours after the ship sailed two days later. Going in a day early doesn't always work. It would also help if American even bothered answering the phone all day. On hold simultaneously on three phone lines from 3pm till midnight. They'd disconnect. I'd call back and the announcement would say they were too busy to answer the phone. call back.

I had insurance but it took them three months to verify I paid for the insurance and the airline actually cancelled the flight.

I've only missed the ship once, but luggage was lost three times. Once, I didn't get it until the last day. I've learned my lesson. Direct flights only, and, carry on bag only. It's amazing what you can pack into that bag. It's also amazing how much I used to pack when I started cruising!

For the past year, I've been using a Trakdot Luggage Tracker when I fly. It is a palm sized unt placed in your suitcase that goes into airplane mode while flying. It senses when the plane stops and sends a text or email letting you know what airport it is in. I usually know before I get to the luggage carousel.

The cost was $50 that included two years of service.

Did they meet the ship?

I am very curious to hear the end of the story. I hope the OP will come back and let us know.

I was a no show at boarding on an Alaskan 2014 cruise out of Vancouver because American cancelled my flight and automatically re-booked us to arrive 4 hours after the ship sailed two days later. Going in a day early doesn't always work.

You just can never predict what will happen with flight schedules and weather issues. A few years ago, DD and her husband we're meeting us in FLL for a January cruise. They were flying from Chicago on Southwest. I was upset because they insisted that they take the last flight out the day before because of their work schedules. As it turned out, there was a huge snowstorm. Every earlier flight that day was cancelled and passengers were scrambling for the remaining seats on future flights. Their late night flight left very late but at least if flew with its originally scheduled passengers. If they'd been on an early flight, they would have missed the cruise.

Hello everyone. Sorry for not coming back to report the outcome sooner[emoji3]

They made it to the ship the next day. They ended up chartering a plane from San Juan to St. Croix. And nope, they did not have trip insurance [emoji33]

Edited by kreneec28

Ah man... I missed the ship in Nassau, I called Royal, my TA called Royal, they assured me no issues boarding in Jamaica.. Wrong! It took a while but I finally got on. I haven't read this entire post, but they, you, and TA need to call X asap... And even they cannot guarantee you'll get on once you get to the ship! Trust me on this!

They made it to the ship the next day. They ended up chartering a plane from San Juan to St. Croix. And nope, they did not have trip insurance [emoji33]

If they paid for their trip by credit card, check with the provider; our card covers a certain number of days for trip cancellation, baggage, and some travel out of pocket expense.

What happens if you miss boarding the ship the first day? If you fly to the first stop on the itinerary, what's the process to board? Thanks!!!

First off, let's hope you BOUGHT good insurance!!(not from the cruiseline!!) Next contact them as well as Celebrity. You'll need all your papers handy at the port if you wish to board.

I am a firm believer of the "fly in a day early" school of thought. But as others have pointed out, that strategy can backfire.

Case in point. A couple of years ago I was flying to DC on work related trip. My local airport has 4 flights a day to Detroit where I would connect to DCA on many flights (pretty much one every hour or hour and a half.) I was scheduled on the 2nd flight of the day, not a tight connection in DTW, planned arrival in DCA early evening for dinner with a colleague. My flight was delayed. Mechanical issues. Everybody else in the lounge lined up to make alternate plans. I was like "what me worry? I have a big time cushion in DTW..." Every once in a while I would check on status, mechanical issue not resolved. I finally told them to go ahead and book me on the next available flight. Oops! By now, all seats were taken and next available was next day. So I left, drove 2.5 hours to DTW, was able to get onto a flight to DCA about 3 hours later than planned. And I missed my dinner.

If I had originally been booked on the 11:30 flight to DTW instead of the 10:00 with mechanical issues, I would have had a tighter connection in DTW but otherwise no issue. By trying to fly early I wound up being late.

Trust me, the discussions about reimbursing me for milage to DTW, 3 days parking there, etc in lieu of my flight to DTW was all very interesting but eventually resolved. Anyway, moral of the story: stuff happens. And best laid plans can turn out to be the wrong thing to do. We are scheduled to fly to MIA a day early for our next cruise, late January. Every time a storm comes through I wonder whether one day early is early enough...

Good to know. They must have been really stressed out.

The cost for all of these extra flight(s) / hotel(s) must be enormous.

Maybe insurance covers it ? I am clueless about it all.

I always pad in 3-4 days 'extra' when leaving for any "winter" trip. There is just so much that can go wrong--- weather---- mechanical---- etc etc.

Far easier to get there E A R L Y and avoid the scrambling + stress.

The cost for all of these extra flight(s) / hotel(s) must be enormous.

Maybe insurance covers it ? I am clueless about it all.

I always pad in 3-4 days 'extra' when leaving for any "winter" trip. There is just so much that can go wrong--- weather---- mechanical---- etc etc.

Far easier to get there E A R L Y and avoid the scrambling + stress.

The charter flight for 4 people was $1400!!!! Not to mention what they paid for the hotel. Unforeseen expenses for sure. I agree it's definitely easier and cost efficient to get there a day earlier.

If they paid for their trip by credit card, check with the provider; our card covers a certain number of days for trip cancellation, baggage, and some travel out of pocket expense.

This is good info to know. I will pass on to them. Thx!!!!