leaving a cruise early

memoie

Hi, I have a very strict work schedule and can't find a cruise that ends before I have to be back to work my question is this: Can I leave the cruise at the 2nd to last port and fly home from there? Thanks in advance.

It depends on your itinerary. In general the answer is yes, unless your embarkation port and where you want to disembark are both US ports, then it can get very tricky. Can you share the specifics? Regardless, you need to inform the cruise line beforehand.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you used a TA, then contact them, but they will need to contact the cruise line directly, or if you booked directly then contact the cruise line. As others have mentioned it really depends on the itinerary. The US PVSA restricts you from getting on in one US port, and getting off in another, while on a foreign flag vessel. However, even in cases where it is legal to get off early, note that ships that homeport in the US have become reluctant to allow "upstream" disembarkation for non-medical reasons, because it involves additional cost to the cruise line with regards to the passenger manifest submitted to CBP to clear passengers at disembarkation, and it can cause delays in clearing CBP for the entire vessel at disembarkation, and the line does not want the complaints. The only answer is that it must be cleared, in writing, by the cruise line in advance.

I've done this, but it was on a Baltic cruise, not one that originated in the U.S. I arranged it with the cruise line ahead of time. I noticed there were at least 40 or 50 other people also debarking at the next to last day of the cruise. As others have said, you must contact the cruise line to get a definitive answer and clear it with them if they do approve it.

x

Depends completely on PVSA.

"Completely"? No --- it will depend largely upon whether the cruise line wants to make the arrangements for there to be customs and immigration at a port other than the final one. If it is a cruise originating at a distant foreign port and you wanted to debark in a US port other than final one, PVSA would not apply. Also PVSA would not apply if no US port were involved.

Hi, I have a very strict work schedule and can't find a cruise that ends before I have to be back to work my question is this: Can I leave the cruise at the 2nd to last port and fly home from there? Thanks in advance.

Are you restricting yourself to just certain lines? You haven't given any info about departure port or itinerary, but cruises run anywhere from 2-21+ days and everything in between. If you have 6 days free there is a cruise that will run for 6 days.

Can you do this? Maybe, all depends on line and itinerary. If you can find one that works with your work schedule it would be better. If you give more info on what your looking for you will probably get better suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just wait until you can do the entire cruise...you have to PAY for the whole thing...why pay fir airfare from a different place, too?

Just wait! Patience is a virtue!

It depends on the ports involved. I hope to debark a T/A in New York rather than in Miami. Yes, I would still be paying for the whole cruise - but I would be getting off the ship less than an hour from home, rather than needing to fly back from Florida. The fare (for the whole cruise) would be about the same as that on a QM2 crossing ending in New York, so "wasting" the last few days is hardly a "waste".

I don't think the OP has booked a cruise yet because she says in her post that she can't find a cruise that ends when she needs it to, therefore the question about leaving early.

It is tough when you really need to cruise but cannot find anything that fits. I would wait though until something does.:D

However, even in cases where it is legal to get off early, note that ships that homeport in the US have become reluctant to allow "upstream" disembarkation for non-medical reasons, because it involves additional cost to the cruise line with regards to the passenger manifest submitted to CBP

Even for a medical disembarkation we were charged a fee which I assume partially went toward this administrative necessity.

Even for a medical disembarkation we were charged a fee which I assume partially went toward this administrative necessity.

I believe the PVSA fine is $300 which would be passed on to the passenger by the cruise line however, there may be ore to it than just a fine.