Silversea Water Cooler: Part 3, Welcome!

Host Dan

If it were a perfect vacuum, yes. Transmission would stop at the inner surface of the glass. There would be no way for the sound wave to cross the gap to the microphone.

If it were a partial vacuum then there would be some sound transmission but it would be attenuated and would not carry far. Then the distance between the microphone and the glass would matter. Because we can't achieve a perfect vacuum, this is what really happens. So your instinct, based on a partial vacuum, is sensible.

Wave theory is the part of physics where you can't always use what you can see to explain how things work. It is where most people lose their minds and drop out of physics. It made me glad that I was going into medicine. Biology is something you can see and touch.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

OK. I asked my learned Myster the question regarding the micro microphone in the middle of the vacuum of 1 cm in depth. The microphone picks up sound in the same way as your ear drum. Your ear drum picks up sound because of the rapidly changing air pressure as the sound wave moves through the atmosphere. No atmosphere, no way to detect sound. The size of the vacuum has nothing to do with it. It's possible that the line suspending the microphone inside the vacuum might pick up vibrations from the suspension point but it would not be through the vacuum.

Thanks both,

JP I think my problem is that I have theories about theories. And that theory is that theories are made up in order to explain something else that might not be explained if it were not for the theory. It is a scenario that is retro fitted. I'm not a heathen. I know the world is round. I also know that theories that were believed as being fact are constantly updated and changed. If often starts with the magic and irritating use of "we". "We use to think ..... but now we know ...." Until it is changed again, later.

I understand that sound is a vibration wave that cannot be transmitted through a vacuum. I can see therefore that if the vacumm is replaced with still air that sound will carry because the air carries the vibration. But I cannot grasp why it would travel further with a bit of a wind behind it pushing it along. I guess I cannot visulaise it and that I'm just thick.

It's Michigan blueberry season, and I always try to get my fair share!

Only 5lbs today, but more to come.

Love BOTH the picture and the blueberries from our northern neighbor, Michigan. Those tasty blueberries are so very, very good. Great food pictures this morning from Jeff. Keep it coming!!

All of the "vibration wave" discussion is too much for my small brain to compute this morning. Perfect weather here today in Ohio. High of 76F, low humidity, clear blue skies, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean adventure that started in Barbados, here is the link for that live/blog. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.):

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 52,283 views for these postings.

Spins...many things in mathematics are hard to wrap your mind around. One course from my university days still haunts me. The concept of "i being equal to the square root of -1". That was my head-scratcher!

Trying to disprove theories is how I messed up in geometry. I still don't get the concept of zero. How can a nothing be counted if its nothing?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have exactly the same issue with trying to work out what infinity looks like. And if you could travel for ever in space where would you end up?

TORPs2.jpg

heineken-sub-2.PNG?auto=format%2Ccompress&fit=max&h=670&q=60&w=1000&

http://newatlas.com/heineken-sub/29480/

https://uk.the-sub.com/age-gate/?origin=https%3A%2F%2Fuk.the-sub.com%2Fbeers%2F

48% discount for the red one ...... making it £69 ..... discount code is "UKROUGE"heineken-sub-2.PNG?auto=format%2Ccompress&fit=max&h=670&q=60&w=1000&

I think I've seen some of those at the supermarket. I always wondered what the tapping tackle looked like... Thanks for the image.

Coolers,

I have just been reading the leaked complete transcript of the call between Malcolm Turnbull and Doris Trump. Is that transcript authentic? Has it been accepted as a genuine leak? I cannot believe it is real.

We are putting our toes back into the cauldron by venturing into this subject.

Not sure if it's real. If you are the D you say fake spews.

I think I've seen some of those at the supermarket. I always wondered what the tapping tackle looked like... Thanks for the image.

Rick,

I'm not sure it is sold in supermarkets, but I do not know for certain. Amazon sells the despenser but not the contents. I have only found them being sold dorectly by Heineken.

To update for what it's worth. This was a bit of a speculative punt for me, and I thought on balance that it was more likely to be a five minute wonder. However I'm absolutely delighted with it. It changes things a bit.

Firstly having pre refrigerated the beer, and then put it into the dispenser, it reaches just below it's advertised temp, so a smidgen below 2c. I hadn't expected that advertising to be delivered. Secondly the beer just tastes so fresh. if ever you've been to a really good German or Austrian (etc) keller with great beer with a very dense mousse then this is exactly it. Finally you escape the tyranny of the tin. Sometimes I find I don't really want the whole tin of beer, I just want a nice fresh mouthfull or two, but perhaps more often. I often fancy a mouthful, of fresh beer but not a pint. Each torp comes with a new fresh pipe so it always hits perfectly clean pipes every couple of litres. Heiken have a range of torps and theirs promise of more to come. I'd love to see a sauvignon / pinot noir blend wine and that might give perfectly good draft cold champagne ...... I might even experiement with an empty torp. The despenser has it's own pump.

We came in from a long walk this morning. I keep a few 25cm glasses in the freezer and we pull a couple of small glasses. So although the torps are only 2 litres you seem to get a lot of drinks from it.

I'm delighted with it and as with most things I've ordered a second one for Seaside. It really is more than just a lad's toy. I can imagine single ladies having one as well .....

If the medium is moving, the speed of (air) movement will be added to the speed of the wave propagation. So sound travels faster (and therefore further before dying out) when it's moving downwind...

This is clearly the real and accurate answer, but if you want a way of thinking about it, consider that you can "bounce" echoes off a canyon wall which shows that the sound is really a physical object and if it can be bounced, then it makes sense that it could be affected by the wind.

This is clearly the real and accurate answer, but if you want a way of thinking about it, consider that you can "bounce" echoes off a canyon wall which shows that the sound is really a physical object and if it can be bounced, then it makes sense that it could be affected by the wind.

I hadn't thought of that. The Cooler has some extremely clever and knowledgeable members. I am now convinced that sound has a physical presence.

Cam...if you are around the Forum and reading I wanted to tell you that I completely support your plan not to travel by air unless absolutely necessary! Our eldest was stranded in Washington DC after a conference visit there this week. Her flight scheduled to leave at 8:15 pm last night was cancelled. That was the last flight out to her destination for the day. She sat on hold with the airlines until her phone died. She hung up and tried again from the hotel phone only to be cut off because the airline call center closed at midnight. She tried again today to contact the airline to be re-scheduled. In the end her boss got her a flight on another airline. She will now travel to Detroit then on to Toronto where her husband has arranged a shuttle service to bring her the 1.5 hour drive home. Seriously? What an absolute mess airline service has become! Our options for airlines here in Canada is abysmal. My definite preference will now be to cruise. Fly to the embarkation point, see the world and fly home from the disembarkation point.

Sorry for the rant! :(

Dear Mysty, haven't been active, although reading from time to time. I'm so sorry for your eldest child and all she went through. We were stranded in Dallas airport until the next day, were sent to a disgusting motel (only available) and then had delayed flights until the last flight to Syracuse. No more!! We agreed no more cruising or leisure traveling involving flights until we hear a calming down the present situation. Of course, we will need to travel for his music....

Thanks Cam. I don't think the airline even comp'd her hotel! She has two young kids at home and was desperate to get there. I know she is a grown woman and she can handle herself. She has limited solo travel experience under her belt and of course I can't turn off the "mother worry".

Mysty, I know exactly what you feel. Mom's worry button cannot ever be turned off. Airlines do not comp your hotel if the cancellation is weather related...act of God, they say... However, when it's their fault, they don't give you a comp relative of what you paid for your ticket. They never lose... I'm sure your daughter does well on her own; she has a great mother role!!