Dramamine patches vs pills

zdub86

I have heard great things about these dramamine patches to help with the potential sea sickness. Can you find these over the counter in any local drug store? Or are these only sold on the ships? Do you wear them for the entire duration of your cruise? I have also heard of some bad side effects from this, like blurred vision and dizziness. Do most people prefer the patch over the dramamine pills?? Or should I just stick with the basic dramamine pills?

I have heard great things about these dramamine patches to help with the potential sea sickness. Can you find these over the counter in any local drug store? Or are these only sold on the ships? Do you wear them for the entire duration of your cruise? I have also heard of some bad side effects from this, like blurred vision and dizziness. Do most people prefer the patch over the dramamine pills?? Or should I just stick with the basic dramamine pills?

As noted the patch is scopolamine, not Dramamine. It's by prescription only and has side effects. https://www.drugs.com/cdi/scopolamine-patch.html

Dramamine does cause drowsiness. There is Bonine, like Dramamine, but less drowsy formula.

Dramamine original formula contains Dimenhydrinate. Bonine contains Meclizine. There are also 2 "less drowsy" Dramamine formulas, one with Meclizine and one with natural (no chemicals) ingredients.

Are you sure you get sea sickness? Or are you just looking to take something "just in case"?

The patch made my throat so dry and scratchy. And then I made a terrible mistake and rubbed my ear and then touched my eye...which landed me with a very widely dilated pupil in my eye and horrible vision for hours.

Then lucky me, I found out that I don't get seasick that easily. So I only take meclizine if I start feeling really bad.

If the sea is calm you may not need much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It doesn't matter what I take or use it makes me feel sleepy and spoils the cruise for a few days for me. The majority of people on the ship don't suffer from was-scikness so I would only resort to travel sickness remedies if a) the forecast was bad and b) I knew for sure I'd be unwell.

Edited by tartanexile81

Dramamine has a new Non-Drowsey natural supplement with Ginger. It worked flawlessly for me on my recent trip. It has zero side effects.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you take meds for high blood pressure, blood thinners, or diabetes you might want to check with a medical professional or pharmacist about ginger.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I used to get sea sick, now it doesn't bother me. I have had experience with all the above mentioned products, here is my personal opinions on them (for what it's worth~)

Do you easily get car sick or air sick? I used to, thus I figured I would be one to be sea sick. If you think you will be, take the meds BEFORE you get sick, otherwise it doesn't work as well.

The ship carries the bonine for free, just ask for it at the guest services, they will give you one days worth at a time free of charge.

Original Dramamine made me very drowsy, but I found out if I went and laid down and took a little nap, I actually felt better. The sea sickness always hit me late afternoon, early evening for some reason.

The patch works too, BUT I had the worst dry mouth EVER. It made my thirst unbelievable. You have to get this from your Dr. it's prescription only.

The wrist band did nothing for me. I also always drank ginger ale and had soda crackers in our cabin. Not having an empty stomach, and not over eating helped me a lot.

I guess we have cruised and flown enough now that it doesn't bother me anymore! I still never let it ruin my cruise, even when I used to get sea sick.

Good luck!

Forty+ years of extensive cruising has taught us to think of the "patch" as a last resort. Why? The side effects can be problematic to some folks, and quite serious for others. If you talk to cruise ship physicians it is doubtful you will find any that recommend using Transderm Scop (the patch) because of the potential side effects. But they are pretty effective for those for which nothing else works. Our personal choice (when we need something) is Bonine (Meclizine Hcl) which is available over the counter in the USA on on most ships. Meclizine is also sold under other names such as Dramamine Non Drowsy formula (this is not the same as the regular Dramamine) and is also available as a prescription drug under the name "Antivert."

We have been told that for some unknown reason one cannot buy Meclizine in Canada...but not sure if this is absolutely true.

Hank

Four pharmacists went to sea. Two were experienced cruisers and two were first timers.

We gave our advice, Bonine ( meclizine), as having successfully used it for years.

They chose the patches to be sure they would be safe.

By dinner they tossed the patches after several hours of feeling worse than seasick. After a few hours the side effects wore off and they managed to continue the rest of the ten day cruise with just a 25mg meclizine twice a day.

Some people just can't tolerate the patch, but a lot more seem to be fine.

bosco

After 20 plus cruises, we have thrown our Dramamine patches and arm bands away and not replaced them.

U better stick to being a doctor of rocks! Because there is no such thing as a "Dramamine Patch." If you are referring to a Transderm Scopolamine patch,,,,that is entirely different matter. Not even close to dramamine. As to "arm bands" we have seen them worn by protesters, some nasty Germans in WWII, by some red cross workers, etc. Not sure what "arm bands" have to do with cruises :). Now perhaps you mean to talk about "Seabands" or "Seasickness Bands"......but have never heard them referred to as "arm bands." When it comes to drugs and medical products words do have a lot of meaning.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Best to make an appointment and speak with your doctor. There are side effects to the scopalamine patch, meclizine, bonine, and antivert! Some are fairly mild ie.dry mouth, some can be worse! (I would never drive the first 24 hours with the scopalamine patch too sleepy). I have taken all of the above due to vertigo issues. I always take them with me on a cruise as I never know when the vertigo may hit/or seasickness! But please clarify them with your doctor. As a nurse I have cared for folks with side effects of the above medicines! :DKnock on wood last cruise I didn't use any of them, but they were in my bag! Happy cruising!

FWIW, my husband gets *terribly* sea/car/air sick, even in the best of conditions. We are avid scuba divers, so a transdermal/scop patch is a must for him. The worst he experiences is a small amount of blurred vision...something easily traded for not vomiting the entire time.

I used to get sea sick, now it doesn't bother me. I have had experience with all the above mentioned products, here is my personal opinions on them (for what it's worth~)

Do you easily get car sick or air sick? I used to, thus I figured I would be one to be sea sick. If you think you will be, take the meds BEFORE you get sick, otherwise it doesn't work as well.

The ship carries the bonine for free, just ask for it at the guest services, they will give you one days worth at a time free of charge.

Original Dramamine made me very drowsy, but I found out if I went and laid down and took a little nap, I actually felt better. The sea sickness always hit me late afternoon, early evening for some reason.

The patch works too, BUT I had the worst dry mouth EVER. It made my thirst unbelievable. You have to get this from your Dr. it's prescription only.

The wrist band did nothing for me. I also always drank ginger ale and had soda crackers in our cabin. Not having an empty stomach, and not over eating helped me a lot.

I guess we have cruised and flown enough now that it doesn't bother me anymore! I still never let it ruin my cruise, even when I used to get sea sick.

Good luck!

Actually, meclizine will work after you get seasick, unlike dimenhydrinate.....

But I agree with you regarding sea bands - a large Royal Navy study some years back showed them no more effective than placebos and scop patches give me the WORST dry mouth and makes me loopy/tired for the first day or two.....