Will The Muse have specialty restaurants only,and no MDR?

tripperva

Nor on Seabourn. It's a Silversea thing, like adding a daily charge to your account for the owner's wife's charity without telling you upfront.

Perfectly correct, however the new Seabourn Encore has a $350 per day private cabana area, something that even SS hasn't dared to create (yet).

Agreed you don't have to use it but neither do you have a to use the one charged restaurant (two on the Spirit and Muse) if you do not wish, and there is still plenty of choice.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

In the last SS cruise I enjoyed, the International Hostess was also responsible for solo cruisers. Now, I don't know if it's always that way. I made friends with the IH and I saw how she took care that solo cruisers were always either seated with each other, or with others at group tables, according to their wishes. I would recommend all solo cruisers to approach guest services the first day to ensure that their needs will be taken care of. DH and I have hosted solo cruisers in our table and we have had a wonderful time.

On the first night of a cruise there is usually a solo travellers get together at cocktail time, hosted by one or both of the IH's. If there are G.hosts on board they will also look after solos of both sexes.

Sure, Silver Spectre, everything you reported is exactly the way it has been in my 20years plus of sailing with SS.

With no MDR on the Muse, how do you think it will work for those of us who must either stay at home, or anxiously go alone? Will there be hostesses for singles, will there still be Solo Traveler gatherings? No where that I can find is there "official" reassurance that singles will be accommodated.

Sorry to sound like a baby. It's simple. I can't figure out how I can fit in without an MDR, or being an anxious pest with the people I know who will be on the Sept 28th Muse Cruise. It is absolutely NOT my acquaintances' responsibility to take care of me. If I had not paid, in full, I think I would cancel.

If anyone knows to whom, specifically, at SS I should write, I would appreciate the information. I know SS exectutives read these boards. Wouldn't it be wonderful if there would be a clarification on this issue? So many people have never even heard of Cruise Critic...there could be a disasterous awakening for some nice folks who believed that they will be welcomed.

Sorry to sound like a baby. It's simple. I can't figure out how I can fit in without an MDR, or being an anxious pest with the people I know who will be on the Sept 28th Muse Cruise. It is absolutely NOT my acquaintances' responsibility to take care of me. If I had not paid, in full, I think I would cancel.

If anyone knows to whom, specifically, at SS I should write, I would appreciate the information. I know SS exectutives read these boards. Wouldn't it be wonderful if there would be a clarification on this issue? So many people have never even heard of Cruise Critic...there could be a disasterous awakening for some nice folks who believed that they will be welcomed.

Hi,

You don't sound like a baby at all, and if anything this issue is an issue that it is in SS's own interest to publish a reassuring policy. I suspect that if solos are happy to join larger tables ie not wishing to dine on a table by themselves then it won't be an issue but it is good to check. I also suspect that Sophia who posts mostly on the Cooler, who is well connected will also probably pick up your concern and might be able to give some light.

As the exact person to ask is not easy to work out, I suggest you address this to the CEO's / Chairman's office on the basis that his PA will either work out herself who the best person is within SS to deal with it, and pass it on - or ask him to do so. If she passes this on and it is coming from their office then it is likely to receive better attention than if you knew who to ask and asked yourself. Try addressing it to Roberto Martinoli (CEO) at ...

executiveoffice@silversea.com

Hope that helps .... and let us know how it goes.

I sail solo all the time and I like to dine solo for maybe half the time, and I don't book ahead since I have no idea which the solo dining nights will be or where I will feel like dining, and I have three cruises booked on the Muse - I intend to just turn up and wing it.

I am usually flexible about dining time and am frequently accommodated without too much difficulty, but if I do get left 'shivering in Hot Rocks' I suspect a quiet but firm word with the HD the next morning will be happening.

Guess it orl depends on 'ow much they want my future bizniss, dunnit?

Jollyjones I'm so with you. We are on the Muse in May and refuse to make pre bookings. We have always manage by talking nicely to the butler and maitre'ds to generally dine where we want. I have no wish to preplan every night before I go on a cruise. If the Muse turns out to be difficult we shall tell the what we think and choose the other ships if they won't cooperate. We vote with our feet and pound notes.

Thank you, madam/sir. Still not reassuring for solo sailors. How do you know who will invite you to dine, and at what time and where?? No one wants to be either a wallflower or a pest....it seems all very insensitive. I'll be following this part of the "Muse Story" very closely!

You have every reason and right to be concerned Pashmina, and you are taking the right steps in asking the pertinent questions and checking the boards for the experiences of not just solo, but couples and groups.

The removal or more to the point, replacement of the MDR does have consequences. Some I see are advantages in that you are given more choice, but the negatives are your own concerns on how it's going to affect you personally being able to mix with the groups you want to and when you want to.

I'm really hoping that SS have given this situation a lot of thought and not, how it does appear, to see how it goes and a blinkered approach that "it'll be alright on the night". It might well be, but I fully understand why that isn't very reassuring or a good enough approach. It's certainly not being selfish or sounding like a baby like you've said you were concerned about.

Fingers crossed for you that SS do come up with a way to make things as flexible as possible, though I think it's such a balancing act to give more choice without sacrificing some aspect of things SS cruisers enjoy.

And certainly given the lack of information firstly on the arrangements on the restaurants, bookings and dress codes, It is definitely justified to point criticism on this gap of advice to make informed decisions for guests across the board.

I'm still ever hopeful that things will pan out and they have the good sense to take on board genuine and reasonable concerns these changes bring.

I'm definitely more organised in many aspects and plan things in advance, including where we eat. That includes even the MDR even though no booking is required (just by virtue of booking the ones that need to be and leaving blanks.) That doesn't mean I can't and don't change my mind, but it does mean I have made a choice.

One option you do have (and I'm not sure it's the right thing to say or do as it can and probably will impact on other guests....) is for you to make bookings in advance and add 4 guests to join you which can happen because you have reservations and you can cancel. It's not the spontaneous approach that you seek, but it does obviously impact and not really the right way.... but you will be able to invite guests to join you. If SS think it's the wrong way (and I would agree) then they really need to address these genuine concerns and advise what will be an acceptable solution.

For each action there is an equal and opposite reaction..... or something like that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone know how SS plans to accommodate single passengers in the dining venues? Will there be a few tables in the "free" restaurants set aside for singles? Will there be tables for people without advance reservations at which anyone who shows up can be seated? The idea of wandering around trying to find a place to eat, being turned away and winding up shivering alone at the Grill is truly terrifying. (Please see Master Echo's excellent thread on Cruise Critic.)

Why in the world would management not plan and welcome solo sailors?There have always been single sailors, and SS has the deserved reputation of being gracious and helpful. I wish I knew more about how this sensitive subject will be handled. It sadly feels intentional. SS apparently does not want solo customers...at least not on the Muse..at least for now.

If and when anyone has any info..good or bad, please jump in and let us all know. For anyone traveling alone...this is a HUGE issue.

Hi CP.....

To SS l am 'officially' a solo guest although l now always travel with friends.

On this Muse voyage the International Hostesses looked after the solos on board....l had an invite to join them on the first evening and the Chronicle printed the times of each day's solos meet for cocktails.

There were no gentlemen hosts but Gennaro the shoe man acts as dance host in the evenings and is actually very good.

It is apparent that SS organised dining venues for solos but not in advance and with no choice for the diner....the only reason l say this is because l overheard an officer tell someone close by to us that he had to go to arrange a venue for the solos to dine that evening.......now as we know about this ridiculous dress code for certain venues how does one know what to wear if that venue is not known in advance.....to walk into Atlantide in casual wear would make one feel very underdressed.....to dine at the grill or pizza one would feel very uncomfortable and probably cold if in cocktail or evening wear and feel rather stupid.

I can't tell you how many solos were on board and have no info of how it all panned out but l would say this......knowing what l know from this trip.....if l was travelling solo on The Muse l would without hesitation pre book my own chosen restaurant for peace of mind......this way you can always cancel if you friend others to dine with along the way.

I can also say l didn't observe anyone dining alone and on this issue.... l would have felt quite uncomfortable to do so particularly in Atlantide where the ambience is very intimate....this is where a MDR was missed.

If I had been a solo on this trip l would have struggled so l strongly recommend you book in advance.

As a footnote.....the panorama and dolce vita bar were almost empty during cocktail hour as folk gathered at the bars in their chosen restaurants before dinner.

Please ask away if l can help more.

Sophia 😊

Soapy,

I fear that unless they make it absolutely sacking offence for MDs to accept tips then the smaller venues with less tbles on Muse with more MDs is going to lead to a percentage of the tables being held back for those that flash the cash. And the tougher they make getting tables the more the potential for them to earn. The main function of an MD is to allocate tables and giving tips is in my view unacceptable.

My understanding was that there was one even boasting publicly that a bribe ...sorry tip ... secured a table in a chosen restaurant where reservations hadn't been made for the whole cruise. It is unacceptable.

Soapy,

I fear that unless they make it absolutely sacking offence for MDs to accept tips then the smaller venues with less tbles on Muse with more MDs is going to lead to a percentage of the tables being held back for those that flash the cash. And the tougher they make getting tables the more the potential for them to earn. The main function of an MD is to allocate tables and giving tips is in my view unacceptable.

My understanding was that there was one even boasting publicly that a bribe ...sorry tip ... secured a table in a chosen restaurant where reservations hadn't been made for the whole cruise. It is unacceptable.

On one evening an American guest l was talking to about the dining arrangements told me that he had managed to secure a table in La Dame most evenings as he had looked after the MD......the said guest hadn't pre booked anything btw.......another reason l would have felt uncomfortable had l been travelling solo as on the one evening we hadn't pre booked were were given no option but to have a pizza up on deck 11 where the ambience left a lot to be desired....plus I'm not a great fan of pizza!!

Sophia 😊

Thank you, Sophia for your kind response. I do have friends on my September Muse cruise, but I am not specifically traveling with them. This will be my very first time just showing up alone. Do you suggest that I book for one (me) or for how many? And what venues do you suggest? This has really gotten complicated.....and sad. Bad enough that I have to pay almost double without feeling unwanted by a company to which I have been so loyal.

As unhappy as I am about this unsettling situation, I think I may have opened up an important conversation. SS really needs to clarify what they intend to do about dining for their solo passengers. This is a real, impactful change for SS. Does anyone really believe that management hasn't thought thru this extremely sensitive issue?

Thank you, Sophia for your kind response. I do have friends on my September Muse cruise, but I am not specifically traveling with them. This will be my very first time just showing up alone. Do you suggest that I book for one (me) or for how many? And what venues do you suggest? This has really gotten complicated.....and sad. Bad enough that I have to pay almost double without feeling unwanted by a company to which I have been so loyal.

As unhappy as I am about this unsettling situation, I think I may have opened up an important conversation. SS really needs to clarify what they intend to do about dining for their solo passengers. This is a real, impactful change for SS. Does anyone really believe that management hasn't thought thru this extremely sensitive issue?

Most welcome CP.......l would most certainly book a table for one... my choice being La T or Atlantide as a solo but from what l observed it's even then hit and miss. On the one evening our group in Atlantide had a table for eleven...yet on another night we were told we had to split to two tables....the bar area in there was heaving with guests waiting for tables ....think organised chaos!

If l had been totally alone l would have opted for room service to be honest.

There is no doubt that this is going to be an issue and SS do need to get their act together......we felt a bit like paying Guinea Pigs on this so called maiden voyage as all interest was focused on the christening today and the VIP guests arriving which is fine but when one is quite literally ushered out of the suite dead on 8.30 am for disembarkation it leaves a bitter taste.....

Sophia 😊

How declassé, to boast about tipping! But then, some time ago I read a post that several regulars had their favorite tables saved.... I wonder if tipping or no tipping...

Cam.....with all due respect the issues of tipping or not has been discussed to the death on here as has smoking....it normally creates havoc and brings the worst out in some folk....it's boils down to very personal preference with no need to post on such........

S😊

I don't mind wearing a sports jacket and a collared shirt and nice slacks but I refuse to wear a tie anymore. All the other luxury lines have BTO and casual not three dress codes. If they drop the required tie on formal we may consider coming back to SS and not until then. The current dress code is draconian. The newer younger luxury cruisers will not go for it. The current older clientele will age out for sure we all will. Just because you wear a tux does not make you any better or classier.

Miles

Camels, I don't think Soapy was trying to shut you up, but I think she was warning you that you will have noticed that when this issue gets discussed, some don't mind expressing their view about what other people should wear, but when others disagree they seem intolerant and start losing their rag and being rude.

Miles, I think the trajectory of travel on this topic is clear and the Muse will have to accomodate a more relaxed dress approach with all this musical dining chairs stuff. Many of the people who can now afford SS and other lines have been in a corporate environment where they had to conform, and don't want any more of all that when they relax. Others have started successful businesses and made a success of their life and will not be told what to wear. Some have done both and are even less likely to be told. As I said before, I'm certain the more one group try to impose their will on others and complain to staff and make their lives difficult about "maintaining standards", the faster it all gets killed. It is in it's death throes.

Soon those that dress casually will srart complaining about how those that dress up are making a relaxed atmosphere stuffy and that will be an interesting conundrum, and I think many can see where all this is going.

Thank you Jeff, as always a voice of reason. I don't think the stringent formal policy in those venues are here to stay.

We will wait it out bit for a more relaxed dress code. We have no problem wearing a jacket. The tie is not going to happen with us. We left our tuxedos at home on our last Crystal cruise and just wore a blazer for BTO which most people did. Seabourn has the same dress code as well.

If one loves to dress up go on the Cunard ships which are Class ships and they are not considered a luxury line. You pay for the Grill experience.

Cheers,

Miles

Jeff, I understand. I don't want to wake up a sleeping tiger about tips or preferences. But they do exist, at least preferences do. But, hey, if I were a regular, which I would hope to get to be one day in the far future, maybe I would expect to be catered to... except I would feel bad if it was at the expense of somebody else with my same expectations... But, then, that's me. And I'm pretty sure there are many more like me in SS.

Camels,

I'm sure your right but in the end these things follow the money wherever that might appear to be heading.

Thanks Miles,

I'm one of those that gave up The Corporation and started my own, and from then on, even though we had (shock horror) banks as clients I never wore a suit. In fact I look like a sack of potatos when I try and look smart. There is clearly a scruffy man always trying to break out. In fact with the benefit of hindsight my unconventional dress codes became a part of the product. They expected non-conformist advice from a person that refused to conform.

There is always going to be a product to fit each taste and no one need to get angry with anyone.

Camels,

I'm sure your right but in the end these things follow the money wherever that might appear to be heading.

Thanks Miles,

I'm one of those that gave up The Corporation and started my own, and from then on, even though we had (shock horror) banks as clients I never wore a suit. In fact I look like a sack of potatos when I try and look smart. There is clearly a scruffy man always trying to break out. In fact with the benefit of hindsight my unconventional dress codes became a part of the product. They expected non-conformist advice from a person that refused to conform.

There is always going to be a product to fit each taste and no one need to get angry with anyone.

+1 Jeff. My banker does not wear a tie and he is in charge of Private Banking. Corporations are relaxing dress codes. Look at Google nobody wears a tie. Those days are going buh bye. I have a collection of ties that I will no longer wear.

Miles

Jeff, you'll find this funny, I wore a suit for forty one years (since my graduate studies landed me at a bank) and was totally out of it when casual dress was accepted in the US. To this date, upon retirement, I refuse to wear sneakers or wear the ever present sweat shirt and sweat pants. But then, I totally embrace those who do. I conform by gladly accepting others who conform, even though I usually look like I've got a meeting to go to. I've found nobody cares how I look. and that's perfect for me.

+1 Jeff. My banker does not wear a tie and he is in charge of Private Banking. Corporations are relaxing dress codes. Look at Google nobody wears a tie. Those days are going buh bye. I have a collection of ties that I will no longer wear.

Miles

I know, my favourite banking client, were extraordinarily indulgent of me and they were very forward thinking considering they were the oldest bank in the world.

Banca Monte dei Paschi di Siena have had a few problems lately but all I'll say in mitigation is that they served me and wifey great Italian food and wine and their current predicament had nothing whatsoever to do with any advice we gave ..... allegedly ... :)