Traditional Dining Mates-Lucky dip or mistake.

suncrab

We have exclusively sailed with our kids and have either been seated with other families or a 4 top on our own. We never had a bad experience. One of our cruises we were sat with an Indian family. They weren't really getting into the food being served. I got hold of the head waiter and talked to him (the family didn't want to make a fuss), after that they brought out traditional Indian dishes and served family style. Apparently the cooks were Indian and had this food made up for themselves. We had a great time and we all eat (some) of what they brought out. This summer the wife and are are solo and have picked 2nd seating TD. I am looking forward to meeting new people, but I have a low threshold for BS. I have no problem checking in with the Maitre'd and getting moved.

We have always chosen ATD primarily because TD times do not suit us. However we always ask to share a table and have met lots of interesting people. Good news is we only have any 'difficult' people for one meal, so maybe the best of both worlds. We did arrange to dine with same two couples on a few evenings on our last cruise.

Good friends now cruise with us and they previously preferred table for two but now are converts to sharing.

Edited by Tedferg

We have not been on too many cruises, but we have always picked ATD. It just suits our schedule better. Every cruise though we have met at least one other couple within a few nights that we enjoyed eating with, and then would dine with them on most nights. We still prefer to have a table for six or eight because most times it is a pleasure meeting new people.

Only two bad experiences in what I would say must be 50 or so table mates.

Our first cruise, first night, at a table for eight, one of the men loudly proclaimed his opinion on just about everything, and in one case yelled at a woman for her choice of books she liked to read. He was so opinionated that no one enjoyed the dinner even though the other couples at the table were great. In the end, every time we saw him and his wife they were at a table for two. We had dinner with one of the other couples almost every night after that.

The second time was a guy that just bragged about how much money he had, and how much better premier cruise lines were then Princess. He had nothing but complaints about the cruise, which we actually were really enjoying.

Both guys were bearable for one night but not for long term. I think ATD offers the flexibility to meet people and then have dinner each night with people that you really enjoy dining with, but TD would probably be quite acceptable most of the time.

I used to dread going into dining room on my own.My partner too sick to travel

he has passed on now.

I still cringe a little inside when I reach my table of 8.

Are they going to ask me the question about being alone.Some say they would never travel alone.

Over the years of cruising I now go with the flow.Eat breakfast and lunch on table for two

At dinner I seen to get along with the couples pleasant conversation ,we get to know one another and I enjoy the Company:)

We have one thing in common we all love cruising and enjoy being pampered.

Looking forward very much to my 24th cruise with Princess.:)

Kruisey~Those that comment they would never travel alone, probably wouldn't (they'd rather stay home and watch tv :)), and those that state one is "brave" to travel alone (as stated in Gwendy's post), it reflects their own fears :eek:. These comments usually are made by individuals in an older demographic and even if made to someone in that same demographic, they have probably never experienced the loss of a spouse and had to march forward into another chapter of life, had a career that required travel, etc., etc. They just look at it through a different prism. Wishing you a wonderful 24th cruise.

When a dining companion uses your bread and butter plate and eats your buttered bread, it's time to move.

When someone at the table chews with their mouth open and splutters food all over you, then it's time to opt out.

When one or more of your dining companions start preaching religion or politics or is overly sexualising everything, then you know it's time to move.

But when your dining companions suggest drinking alcohol is.... Well, there's only one option.

All the above have happened to us at a shared table at ATD or TD. Just ask the maitre'd for a change of table and they'll always try to accommodate you at the earliest opportunity.

Oh Raebay. Not a nice experience. Maybe on your next cruise you will be at our table for 8. DH & I are quite normal people & enjoy a good story, a good laugh & good company. See you soon

That would be lovely only 2 weeks to go.

Ian flys up next Sunday and I drive up leaving home Tuesday afternoon (don't officially start holidays till 23rd).

Every other time we have had lovely dinner mates and still friends over 6 years later.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I cruise on my own quite a lot. I generally have traditional dining for evening at a large table. When people question me about cruising solo or tell me how "brave" I am, I just reply cruise alone or stay home. Those are my choices. Then move on to other topics, are you going to the show, did you enjoy your time on shore etc. I don't want a long conversation on why I am on my own, deflect and move on and enjoy your meal.

Brave? I would think cruising would be the most comfortable way to travel solo. You can dine or sit in a bar with strangers and feel not only safe but sensible. You can get involved with trivia or other games and be welcomed.

You don't have wifi worry about wandering streets at night looking for dinner or entertainment.

And you have a lovely though small home that is all yours for a week or so. Go to bed when you want, get up when you want.

Good for you still getting the best life has to offer.

You go, girl!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

When a dining companion uses your bread and butter plate and eats your buttered bread, it's time to move.

That reminds me of an incident where we were at a table for two very close to another table, so the people were not exactly table mates. Anyway, the lady of the couple leaned over and took bread out of out basket. Her husband immediately chided her, but she kept the bread. I found out later that the woman had some issues, perhaps dementia, so I just forgot about it. She never did it again.

Brave? I would think cruising would be the most comfortable way to travel solo. You can dine or sit in a bar with strangers and feel not only safe but sensible. You can get involved with trivia or other games and be welcomed.

You don't have wifi worry about wandering streets at night looking for dinner or entertainment.

And you have a lovely though small home that is all yours for a week or so. Go to bed when you want, get up when you want.

Good for you still getting the best life has to offer.

You go, girl!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I traveled once solo, was worried, but it was fantastic! When you are by yourself you are very approachable, I was never without company, had great table mates, my cabin was nice and neat, just the way I like it, and I got to choose the agenda! Can't beat that! I've had 3 cruises since with my daughter and friend and two with my sister, both were good but so is going by yourself. I have another solo planed this March on the Royal, can't wait!

Thank you for the many responses.

Actually it is interesting that many posts are stating they go table for 2, actually we did originally ask for a 2 top via our personalizer for our last three cruises, and in two Princess cruises we booked it nearly a year in advance, but in all instances were still told that there was none available when we boarded. I have requested a 2 top again on the Diamond later this year. I realise that their are limited 2 top,s available, but do wonder sometimes if Princess base the seatings arrangements on their own choice rather than who books first. As I mentioned in my original post, we enjoyed our table mates and hope it continues that way, but as some you have said, "it could happen one day.:)

I've wondered this too. I always ask for a table for 2, since DH has a bad back which hurts him if we sit too long at a large table. We've only gotten that table for 2 a couple of times. I booked the cruise we're going on in May as soon as it went on sale. In a reasonable world, that should mean we get the table for two?

We have exclusively sailed with our kids and have either been seated with other families or a 4 top on our own. We never had a bad experience. One of our cruises we were sat with an Indian family. They weren't really getting into the food being served. I got hold of the head waiter and talked to him (the family didn't want to make a fuss), after that they brought out traditional Indian dishes and served family style. Apparently the cooks were Indian and had this food made up for themselves. We had a great time and we all eat (some) of what they brought out. This summer the wife and are are solo and have picked 2nd seating TD. I am looking forward to meeting new people, but I have a low threshold for BS. I have no problem checking in with the Maitre'd and getting moved.

That was very nice of you to help out these guests, thank you for a great story with a happy ending.:D

"Everyone has a story" is my approach. And I have never been so disappointed by table mates that I have wanted to move. I personally steer clear of and work hard to redirect conversations about politics and religion. I ask people where they were born, about their family histories, how they ended up where they are now. About their kids, their first date, etc. and, of course, their ship experiences and plans! I focus on things we share as humans and avoid topics that are divisive. And I learn something of value from everyone.

But, having said that the pontificators and braggerts can be a challenge. And while I have stopped some racist and sexist jokes in their tracks, someone who was continually denigrating others would push me to change tables. Life's too short. Fortunately, it has never happened.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I haven't read posts further than this (several down from the top) but just wanted to say that I think this is a spectacularly wise and virtually fool-proof response. Way to keep things light, interesting and fun that would tend to make folks enjoy being with, as opposed to dreading, others.

We have always had disasters with table seating. Once we sat with a Canadian and an English couple.

It turned out that the canadian man was from Germany and had been a pilot in WW2. He bombed the city where the Engligh couple's parents were killed. Now that was a conversation stopper.

Oddly that night our ship hit a reef and we all had to be evacuated from the ship

We never shared a table again. We have met people and had dinner together with anytime dinning. But that is our choice.

We have always had disasters with table seating. Once we sat with a Canadian and an English couple.

It turned out that the canadian man was from Germany and had been a pilot in WW2. He bombed the city where the Engligh couple's parents were killed. Now that was a conversation stopper.

Oddly that night our ship hit a reef and we all had to be evacuated from the ship

We never shared a table again. We have met people and had dinner together with anytime dinning. But that is our choice.

No politics, no religion and no war stories.

Thank you for the many responses.

Actually it is interesting that many posts are stating they go table for 2, actually we did originally ask for a 2 top via our personalizer for our last three cruises, and in two Princess cruises we booked it nearly a year in advance, but in all instances were still told that there was none available when we boarded. I have requested a 2 top again on the Diamond later this year. I realise that their are limited 2 top,s available, but do wonder sometimes if Princess base the seatings arrangements on their own choice rather than who books first. As I mentioned in my original post, we enjoyed our table mates and hope it continues that way, but as some you have said, "it could happen one day.:)

I do think that princess does some research on the demographics for each cruise and dining arrangements. My "other half" is 15 years my senior so age groups might play a factor as to why we get 2 seat tables each time. The bad experience we had was with 2 people closer to my age, I think he wanted TD and she wanted ATD or the Horizon Court. She was not happy with the menu and neither could care less about our presence. This was the only time I've had a negative experience on princess. At least we finished their wine once they left ;) At the end of the day I always meet interesting people on princess, if I can't get a 2 seat for April I wont be upset.