Ventura - bathrobes

BMT

Thank you so much for doing this! At that rate they should be fine - although neither of is is sylph-like, we're not Humpty Dumpty either.... I think I'll risk it. It would be nice to have them waiting in our cabin, there's enough to do when embarking without going shopping on the first day!

Well, I have no intention of dragging bathrobes backwards and forwards!! I have to cope with a suitcase of meds, pads etc. etc. before we even start!! Can't take evening dresses etc. so not even considering taking bathrobes.

Will just have to let room service in with a towel wrapped round me - depends upon who it is, as to whether the towel slips!!

Not interested in slippers - got drawers full of these - someone let Pando know its not a big deal anymore!!

Wouldn't mind if it was my choice to have a basic balcony - most ships balconies have a walk-in shower!!

Sorry, your post slipped in just before mine thanking Kalos.

Don't you have something like a beach cover-up that would do for when you're having room service?

Sorry, your post slipped in just before mine thanking Kalos.

Don't you have something like a beach cover-up that would do for when you're having room service?

Yes, will be taking lovely beach kaftan- see-thru though!!:D

I would buy the beachrobes if they guarantee to keep them on board for our Christmas cruise:D:D They won't do that obviously. Oh well, we will cope. But their bedlinen will be full of lotion and need changing daily. Not my prob!!

I do have a lovely nightie/slip thingy - bit short though. Sexy sexy - bits of lace etc. etc. Ooh, getting a bit carried away here!!

They shouldn't be penalising elderly people who can't cope with a bath. But in their favour, there is a kettle!! Cunard don't get kettles till next year. I took one on a few weeks ago and rang down to the Front Desk to see if they wanted to get it checked out. The receptionist said they wouldn't bother as they are putting them in the cabins next year anyway. So the badly kept secret is out!! Kettles on Cunard - the Maitre 'D said Sir whatsisname Cunard would turn in his grave!!

Thanks everyone.

Actually, I missed a trick here - I will 'phone Pando and ask for a robe - I think at almost 102 she deserves a bathrobe - and I will guarantee to return it to them!:D

Tell us when you managed to phone P&O and speak to someone on the line.

We tried to call them and there was a pre-recorded message to ask us to contact our travel agent!

We remembered before, we could actually speak to someone human via P&O's number , but we could not this time. Have the company tried to cut down on expenses and stop this "human touch" service?

Hee hee - 'phone Carnival and press buttonio for P&O!!! 023 806 55000.

Probably only during office hours.

If it says contact your travel agent, ignore it - go to reservations or for anything else!! I always ignore the travel agent 'suggestions' on the cruise lines 'phones.

Have to say that I get cross when people expect a bathrobe with P&O and compare it with Princess and Celebrity. Check out the prices! There is no comparison. It is like trying to compare a high 3star / low 4 star hotel with a high 4 star / 5 star and expecting the same perks. It doesn't happen.

If it is a big issue then either book the cruise lines that have one or buy one.

I wouldn't book a hotel in the UK (wanting a bathrobe) and if it did not provide one then complain

If you want a free bathrobe then why not pay the thousand pounds a cruise extra (at least) and have one???

If all else fails, just take a thin one..

Sorry

Very confused

Have to say that I get cross when people expect a bathrobe with P&O and compare it with Princess and Celebrity. Check out the prices! There is no comparison. It is like trying to compare a high 3star / low 4 star hotel with a high 4 star / 5 star and expecting the same perks. It doesn't happen.

If it is a big issue then either book the cruise lines that have one or buy one.

I wouldn't book a hotel in the UK (wanting a bathrobe) and if it did not provide one then complain

If you want a free bathrobe then why not pay the thousand pounds a cruise extra (at least) and have one???

Sorry

Very confused

I agree with you completely.

I bought the P&O robes on our first cruise on Azura a few years ago, to use with balcony to fjords. Lovely cosy soft fleece type, very light to pack and squash down well and don't crease. We've used them on various other holidays since and wash beautifully. Only thing is I'd find them too 'sweaty' for a hot climate and would just take lightweight cotton wrap instead. One size robe but fine for 17 stone hubby to still do up ok. We'll be taking them with us to Baltic in June for our aft balcony for those cool mornings viewing the world go by...can't wait!:):)

Sorry

Very confused

You are absolutely right, unfortunately people seem to ignore the price comparison. I always take a very light robe that takes up very little space and because it is only used on cruises or short UK breaks I suspect that it will last fir as long as I am able to cruise.

Have another read.:confused:

We want and are happy to pay for a better cabin with better facilities!! Problem is that P&O in their wisdom, have so many suites and balcony cabins with a bathtub and very few accessible cabins. We HAVE TO HAVE a walk-in shower. They are forcing us to cope in a very small cabin if we go on their ships and we have to hope that it will be large enough for the wheelchair.

Therefore, as my mother is 101 and I am 74 and unable to get her out of the bath, we are stuck - not a matter of money!! Luggage is a problem with wheelchair, meds, pads etc. etc. We are also on her at Christmas and New Year. Ridiculous to expect handicapped and elderly people to buy things which other lines supply for free and expect us to buy and launder them ourselves.

She will need two bathrobes - one on and one off at the laundry otherwise the room attendant will be changing the bedding daily. Mind you that's what we will resort to if when we get on board, they can't accommodate us.

Then there's me - I know that at my age a towel wrapped round me will probably not phase the server, but it seems its not exactly the sort of cruise we are expecting. So that will make it 3 bathrobes required.

We were on a world Oriana cruise fifty years ago and my recollection is that it was a luxury, first-class experience. Seems things have changed since recent posts now indicate its a cheapo line!!

Just thought we would give Pando another go - unfortunately, paid in full for one and large deposit on another. Only discovering its not going to be as good as the others now, when its too late.

If you are right and its not up to the standard of the others, it won't be so cheap for us as we will have to eat in the speciality restaurants every night. Just thought that a nice ship such as Ventura seems to be, would be OK and I wanted to support a 'British' line. After Feb, back on Eclipse for a few cruises, then Cunard and then back on Pando, unless the experience is so bad, that we just lose our deposit and go on another line!!

Must point out that its not that cheap either!!

Elderly people have trouble coping with large amounts of luggage, wheelchairs etc. But we like to cruise - but obviously suitcases are a problem.

Anyway, apart from the few know-all sourpusses on here who say we are on the wrong ship or should do what they do although we physically can't, it has been fun discussing the alternatives!! Or perhaps I have misinterpreted their posts?

We bought our bathrobes online and they were in the cabin on our arrival

for our TA cruise on the Azura .

They are light weight, so we will pack them when we fly out this time .

Also would say they are decent quality for the price you pay for them .

Go to ... Ship souvenirs (bottom right hand corner of page )

P&O Cruises Soft Fluffy Bathrobe – £19.99 or 2 for £29.99

(One size - Length 47”, Chest 27”, Shoulder: 20”)

How did you manage to buy them online? I've looked on the personaliser, where it says that you have to phone P & O (at a premium rate!) to order anything.

How did you manage to buy them online? I've looked on the personaliser, where it says that you have to phone P & O (at a premium rate!) to order anything.

Oops so I did :o

What we did was look them up via the link I posted in earlier post .

Then I called P&O on 0800 523 840 ( free phone :) )

Once through to an advisor, tell them you would like to buy bathrobes for on- board the ship.

Give the your cruise reference booking number (and cabin if you have cabin number)

Pay by card over the phone and your sorted ;)

They send you a E-mail invoice for payment and will ask you if you want a message delivered with the garments

to your cabin as you could be buying them as a gift .

Hope that helps you get sorted :D

We want and are happy to pay for a better cabin with better facilities!! Problem is that P&O in their wisdom, have so many suites and balcony cabins with a bathtub and very few accessible cabins. We HAVE TO HAVE a walk-in shower. They are forcing us to cope in a very small cabin if we go on their ships and we have to hope that it will be large enough for the wheelchair.

Therefore, as my mother is 101 and I am 74 and unable to get her out of the bath, we are stuck - not a matter of money!! Luggage is a problem with wheelchair, meds, pads etc. etc. We are also on her at Christmas and New Year. Ridiculous to expect handicapped and elderly people to buy things which other lines supply for free and expect us to buy and launder them ourselves.

She will need two bathrobes - one on and one off at the laundry otherwise the room attendant will be changing the bedding daily. Mind you that's what we will resort to if when we get on board, they can't accommodate us.

Then there's me - I know that at my age a towel wrapped round me will probably not phase the server, but it seems its not exactly the sort of cruise we are expecting. So that will make it 3 bathrobes required.

We were on a world Oriana cruise fifty years ago and my recollection is that it was a luxury, first-class experience. Seems things have changed since recent posts now indicate its a cheapo line!!

Just thought we would give Pando another go - unfortunately, paid in full for one and large deposit on another. Only discovering its not going to be as good as the others now, when its too late.

If you are right and its not up to the standard of the others, it won't be so cheap for us as we will have to eat in the speciality restaurants every night. Just thought that a nice ship such as Ventura seems to be, would be OK and I wanted to support a 'British' line. After Feb, back on Eclipse for a few cruises, then Cunard and then back on Pando, unless the experience is so bad, that we just lose our deposit and go on another line!!

Elderly people have trouble coping with large amounts of luggage, wheelchairs etc. But we like to cruise - but obviously suitcases are a problem.

Anyway, apart from the few know-all sourpusses on here who say we are on the wrong ship or should do what they do although we physically can't, it has been fun discussing the alternatives!! Or perhaps I have misinterpreted their posts?

Forgive me if I am misreading your post....but if you are happy to pay for a suite, then assuming that one is available, the vast majority have separate walk in showers as well as a bath...and a suite will of course accomodate a wheelchair. Is this not an option? You would have more space too...

Despite what many say, the food on P & O is fine. Haute cuisine it is not , but it is not , imho, any worse than on Cunard ( unless you are a Grills passenger). You should not have any need to dine in the speciality restaurants every night...by all means some nights, but not every night... unless you have money to burn.... It is not a "cheapo " line....but if you want real luxury these days it will cost 2 or 3 times what P & O are asking....and you wont get it on a mainstream cruiseline....

Edited by Mysticalmother

For the OP, no one has mentioned that there are self service laundry facilities. I know you won't want to spend all holiday in the laundry, but it might be useful to know in an emergency. Just take a few washing tablets in case.

Sorry, if I misunderstood, but if you are happy to pay for a suite etc go for it. We've seen many elderly passengers on P&O (and they get criticised for it for some silly reason)

I have to say though, that sadly my very elderly parents are no longer with me, but when they were I checked with the hotels before we stayed re what they needed & the restaurants / pubs we ate at when my dad needed to visit (with severe dementia). They were all wonderful when they knew dad's needs but I didn't expect them to offer something that was not normally available. We planned their stays around what was provided.

I don't want to sound callous, but to be fair to P&O, surely you can't expect them to adapt what they offer on an individual basis. I am sure that they will do what they can to make your cruise special and look after you, but you surely can't expect them to change the things they offer as a package to meet the needs of individuals in this way? We've had to pay a considerable amount extra for a superior cabin on Ventura in August and booked it last April 2016 to make sure we got what we wanted.

This year we are looking at 2018 and at the moment there is no way that we could consider Princess or Celebrity as P&O are by far the cheaper option.

I really hope that you have a wonderful time --- time together with elderly parents is to be treasured and if you're happy to spend on a suite then a bathrobe or additional luggage (to put you own in) will be a cheap alternative.

We HAVE TO HAVE a walk-in shower. They are forcing us to cope in a very small cabin if we go on their ships and we have to hope that it will be large enough for the wheelchair.

Just wanted to make sure you're aware that the bathrooms have a "step up" to get in and a small "step" into the shower (so the water doesn't go all over the bathroom floor presumably). So they're no walk-in showers as such.

You're probably also aware but just in case, the wheelchair (when not folded) may not go through the doorway (the accessible cabins have the wider doors for this) and you're not allowed to leave the wheelchair in the corridor (it must be stored in your cabin). Sorry if I'm stating the obvious to you.

We have stayed in a Suite (twice) on Britannia with a wheelchair. It has to be folded to go through the door, but there is room to store it just inside. There is a step into the bathroom and a slight lip into the shower.

As for bathrobes, you get them in a Suite and I think you get them in a Superior Deluxe. P&O can tell you.

I pre-ordered two of them for our adult daughters who I had booked into the adjacent balcony cabin and I'm sure they were the same quality. They use them at home now and really like them!

We HAVE TO HAVE a walk-in shower. They are forcing us to cope in a very small cabin if we go on their ships and we have to hope that it will be large enough for the wheelchair.

Just wanted to make sure you're aware that the bathrooms have a "step up" to get in and a small "step" into the shower (so the water doesn't go all over the bathroom floor presumably). So they're no walk-in showers as such.

You're probably also aware but just in case, the wheelchair (when not folded) may not go through the doorway (the accessible cabins have the wider doors for this) and you're not allowed to leave the wheelchair in the corridor (it must be stored in your cabin). Sorry if I'm stating the obvious to you.

Thanks - we can cope with a small step up etc. in the shower. Just can't cope with a bathtub!! Can't get her out - total nightmare.

Wheelchair will fold and be stored overnight on the balcony.:eek::mad: Usually get away with leaving it in the hallway if there's a wide area on that deck, during the day.

The HA balcony cabin was recommended by Pando and its right on the midship elevator.

She has to have loads of skin lotion on for her 'siesta' which will make a total mess of the bedding - that's why we need two bathrobes to wrap her in and one for me so as not to startle room service.:eek:

Totally surprised that Pando is completely disinterested in being helpful in such a small matter for a very elderly, handicapped person. All the other cruiselines fall over backwards to help.

However, I have noticed that often the staff on the ships themselves are more helpful than those at the onshore operation.

Will just feel sorry for the cabin attendant!!

I see no reason to purchase something I don't want just because Pando is a stingy outfit!! Can't take them home. Just trying to be civilised and not soil their bedding every day. But if that's the way they play it, be my guest:p

As it happens, we had a large suite on Cunard. Not good as she was tottering across the room to the bathroom. Smaller cabin, where there is something to balance on - wall or dressing table unit etc. - is more practical.

Travel becomes quite difficult at times, which is why we only cruise from Southampton nowadays.

Thanks - we can cope with a small step up etc. in the shower. Just can't cope with a bathtub!! Can't get her out - total nightmare.

Wheelchair will fold and be stored overnight on the balcony.:eek::mad: Usually get away with leaving it in the hallway if there's a wide area on that deck, during the day.

The HA balcony cabin was recommended by Pando and its right on the midship elevator.

She has to have loads of skin lotion on for her 'siesta' which will make a total mess of the bedding - that's why we need two bathrobes to wrap her in and one for me so as not to startle room service.:eek:

Totally surprised that Pando is completely disinterested in being helpful in such a small matter for a very elderly, handicapped person. All the other cruiselines fall over backwards to help.

However, I have noticed that often the staff on the ships themselves are more helpful than those at the onshore operation.

Will just feel sorry for the cabin attendant!!

I see no reason to purchase something I don't want just because Pando is a stingy outfit!! Can't take them home. Just trying to be civilised and not soil their bedding every day. But if that's the way they play it, be my guest:p

As it happens, we had a large suite on Cunard. Not good as she was tottering across the room to the bathroom. Smaller cabin, where there is something to balance on - wall or dressing table unit etc. - is more practical.

Travel becomes quite difficult at times, which is why we only cruise from Southampton nowadays.

Having read this I am sorry if I have not completely understood your situation. I think the best person to speak to will be the cabin steward - I am sure that they will help you.

I think that you taking your mum with you at such a great age says a lot about both of you. Just taking mu elderly dad out to the local pub was a major stress for many reasons, so this must be a major thing for you to make sure that she is well looked after.

I genuinely wish you both a wonderful cruise - and I hope that P&O look after you both :)

Having read this I am sorry if I have not completely understood your situation. I think the best person to speak to will be the cabin steward - I am sure that they will help you.

I think that you taking your mum with you at such a great age says a lot about both of you. Just taking mu elderly dad out to the local pub was a major stress for many reasons, so this must be a major thing for you to make sure that she is well looked after.

I genuinely wish you both a wonderful cruise - and I hope that P&O look after you both :)

What a lovely post - thank you. Yes, life is very stressful at the best of times - everything becomes so much more difficult.

You are quite right - I often find the cabin attendants are very helpful.

Hopefully, we will enjoy the ship - we go Soham to Soham without stepping foot off the ship. Up and down to the Canaries usually. A couple of years ago we did get off in Tenerife - and were blue-lighted to hospital.:eek: We knew the Hospiten Group and they lived up to their reputation and we made it back to the ship - to their consternation!! She was totally fine after Hospiten's ministrations. Having spent the previous night in the ship's hospital with Mum, I needed another holiday.:D

Have to enjoy it all while we can. Lots of limitations but we try to make the most of what we have. And really, how lucky are we!!!

I am sure Ventura will be fine - a few slot machines and some entertainment is all we ask. Food is not a problem as she has to eat quite simple food - not too rich. Try to avoid the speciality restaurants as the food can be rich - and very hard to be sensible.:eek:

Against all advice, we went on a few NCL cruises and thoroughly enjoyed them - and they gave Mum VIP status.:o

Anyway, thanks again for your post - these forums are not always an easy place to be!!

What a lovely post - thank you. Yes, life is very stressful at the best of times - everything becomes so much more difficult.

You are quite right - I often find the cabin attendants are very helpful.

Hopefully, we will enjoy the ship - we go Soham to Soham without stepping foot off the ship. Up and down to the Canaries usually. A couple of years ago we did get off in Tenerife - and were blue-lighted to hospital.:eek: We knew the Hospiten Group and they lived up to their reputation and we made it back to the ship - to their consternation!! She was totally fine after Hospiten's ministrations. Having spent the previous night in the ship's hospital with Mum, I needed another holiday.:D

Have to enjoy it all while we can. Lots of limitations but we try to make the most of what we have. And really, how lucky are we!!!

I am sure Ventura will be fine - a few slot machines and some entertainment is all we ask. Food is not a problem as she has to eat quite simple food - not too rich. Try to avoid the speciality restaurants as the food can be rich - and very hard to be sensible.:eek:

Against all advice, we went on a few NCL cruises and thoroughly enjoyed them - and they gave Mum VIP status.:o

Anyway, thanks again for your post - these forums are not always an easy place to be!!

I'm guilty of judging without knowing your situation ... it is so easy to fall in to that trap just reading posts. :( I find the regulars on here genuinely lovely people and I am sure that they will help with any questions. We are going on Ventura in August for the first time so will need YOUR help as we have no idea what to expect when you get back!

I genuinely think that taking a dressing gown with you or buying one for your mum as a special 'treat' will be a nice surprise for her. P&O also do some great excursions for anyone who is limited re mobility so have a look at those. Some just mean getting off the ship and enjoying a coach excursion for a few hours

Just read your phrase:

Treasure the moments and enjoy:)

Well, of course I will report back. To be honest, these days we are more accepting than we used to be and not so picky!!

We don't get off anymore because we have been to all these places many times. Cathedralled out and shopping is now all on the internet.:eek: We love the ship when everyone gets off. Interestingly, we have noticed many more people, especially on the Canaries run, staying on board when in port.

What we love about Cunard and hopefully, Pando, is that the MDR is open for lunch. We use the ship as an 'all inclusive'. They could anchor six miles off Soham and we would be happy - except for the weather.

We used to do 3 hour tours at about midday - sadly, these are few and far between nowadays. Also, I find she doesn't really have interest anymore in sightseeing.

Amusingly, I suppose I will have the usual problem when I get on board. The puters only go to 99 - she is officially 1 year old!! Hilarious when the room steward turns up with a baby lifejacket as happened on the QE!!:D And on Celebrity she is not allowed a drink package. I have to go to the Front Desk and produce her passport!! The first time it happened everyone was bamboozled as to how to fix it:)

There are a few other people on this cruise who haven't been Pando for years - be interesting to hear how they compare it.

Well, of course I will report back. To be honest, these days we are more accepting than we used to be and not so picky!!

We don't get off anymore because we have been to all these places many times. Cathedralled out and shopping is now all on the internet.:eek: We love the ship when everyone gets off. Interestingly, we have noticed many more people, especially on the Canaries run, staying on board when in port.

What we love about Cunard and hopefully, Pando, is that the MDR is open for lunch. We use the ship as an 'all inclusive'. They could anchor six miles off Soham and we would be happy - except for the weather.

We used to do 3 hour tours at about midday - sadly, these are few and far between nowadays. Also, I find she doesn't really have interest anymore in sightseeing.

Amusingly, I suppose I will have the usual problem when I get on board. The puters only go to 99 - she is officially 1 year old!! Hilarious when the room steward turns up with a baby lifejacket as happened on the QE!!:D And on Celebrity she is not allowed a drink package. I have to go to the Front Desk and produce her passport!! The first time it happened everyone was bamboozled as to how to fix it:)

There are a few other people on this cruise who haven't been Pando for years - be interesting to hear how they compare it.

I'm looking forward to meeting you and remembering P & O how is was and how very different it is today. Sharing stories of a bygone era.

Hi Jay,

Bear in mind it was first-class and second class. And ne'er the twain shall meet!! (I think I've got that right!).

Oh oh oh - those were the days - no fighting in the buffet hehehe!!

Not long now - shall have to sort out what NOT to take - and we won't be taking evening dress. Dressy enough to be allowed in the Dining Room though!!

Edited by BMT