Cruising Alaska with a teen

mrspeck

Looking at doing a cruise in late May on either the Oosterdam, Eurodam or the Nieuw Amsterdam. We've sailed NCL and MSC with our son who is now 15, but never Holland America. HAL; however, is my DW and I's favorite, just worried that the kiddo may be disappointed. Looking at either an aft wrap neptune suite or a pinnacle suite...as of the moment both room types are available on all three sailing that we are looking at. Does anyone have any experience with traveling with teens to Alaska on HAL? Are the teen facilities any better on the EDam or the NADam versus the ODam?

We are cruising with our two teenage grand daughters in Jul on the N.A., also wondering? Club HAL has a program for teens called the Loft don't know what's there? Just got off the Eurodam with our 7 year old great grand daughter & she just loved Club HAL , could never get her to leave before 10:30 - 11:00

Allan

We sailed HAL's 14 night Alaska itinerary on the ms Amsterdam twice with our two teens. We sailed late July to mid August. Each time there were about 30 teens on board, but I would expect significantly fewer if you're going at the end of May.

Can you wait until mid to late June, when more schools will be out?

Our teens loved the trip, but found the ship's entertainment to be vastly inferior to what they had experienced on other cruise lines. Also, they both said that no one showed up for the organized teen activities. Nevertheless, they did seem to make a couple of friends on each of the cruises.

Wasn't many kids in the teen club to begin with on a "family line", Royal, during that month. My twins (16) said maybe 9 showed up, but they had fun some nights. One went a lot, while the other never went. It just depends on what they like to do. Even still, my son who went "a lot" -- that was the only time he went out of our five cruises. Alaska is truly beautiful, but I do suggest the Nieuw Amsterdam from Vancouver, as I prefer the itineary, but Seattle may be more convenient. We personally LOVED Vancouver and highly recommend staying there after the cruise. Super modern and beautiful.

Edited by DisneyDatknee

We have done two 7 day HAL Alaska cruises before - once out of Vancuver on the Zuiderdam and once out of Seattle on the Westerdam. Airfare is about $400 less per person to Seattle for us. Could do the train I guess. I'm thinking that with all there is to do in Alaska ports the teen should have a good time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My DD has sailed with us on the a number of HAL cruises and as recently last year. She is a teenager and knows the in's and out's of cruising. On the Alaska cruises there will be teens on the ship, just not in a large number. If your kids are more independent then they will be perfectly at home. I would say if you can, get the Pinnacle suite. My DD loved the on balcony tub, watching the world go by with a glass of soda on the ready. As for ClubHAL she never took any interest, but each person is their own person and that is good with me.

We have done two 7 day HAL Alaska cruises before - once out of Vancuver on the Zuiderdam and once out of Seattle on the Westerdam. Airfare is about $400 less per person to Seattle for us. Could do the train I guess. I'm thinking that with all there is to do in Alaska ports the teen should have a good time.

The train would be very cool. See about multi-city tickets and fly to Vancouver first then Seattle back home.

Seattle has a lot to offer pre/post cruise for teens if selecting Eurodam or Oosterdam. The recently re-branded Museum of Pop Culture (Mopop - formerly the Experience Music Project or EMP) has a lot of exhibits. At Seattle Center, near Space Needle. Also the relatively new Wings Over Washington might not have been there last time - adjacent to the Seattle Great Wheel which has been around since 2012.

I, too, am cruising Alaska with my kids this summer. Our first one!

Zaandam, August 13.

16, 14, and 12 year olds.

My kids are very independent and fun. Between the novelty of being on a cruise ship and the 3 ports of call, I have zero doubts they will be bored. We plan to do may active excursions off-ship.

I am pretty sure even if they are the only kids on board, they will entertain themselves in the Loft, the Oasis, the pools, the hot tubs, the basketball court, the ping pong tables, the decks, the...well, the whole ship!

I am so looking forward to our trip!

I'll be on the Zaandam in June with my 13 year old nephew. He's pretty outgoing so I'm not worried, he'll have a good time. I took my niece a few years ago and she's more introverted. Still managed to meet up with a few other teens and had a blast.

bringing my two in May..... we've never cruised, so I think all the food- and great viewing sights off the boat,combined with excellent hikes at the ports is gonna make for a fine vacation- I doubt they'll attend any clubs, but they may surprise me....did I mention the food options? that alone is what they'll love

bringing my two in May..... we've never cruised, so I think all the food- and great viewing sights off the boat,combined with excellent hikes at the ports is gonna make for a fine vacation- I doubt they'll attend any clubs, but they may surprise me....did I mention the food options? that alone is what they'll love

The kids clubs have a "meeting" the first evening. Encourage them to at least go and check it out that night. Many of the onboard friendships form that night. Also it will give them an overview of upcoming activities. They don't have to go to everything - can pick and choose.

Another thing for teens would be to print deck plans for each kid so they can be familiar with where things are before boarding. We do that for ourselves and it makes one feel comfortable earlier :D (google the name of your ship and deck plans to find one with all the decks on one plan)

• 4 months later...

How was your cruise????

My daughter will be 16 next year and her grandparents want to take her on the Nieuw Amsterdam next July for Alaska cruise. Worry about her bring bored. She is not horribly shy though she's not one to start up conversation. Just wanting feedback. I know she will fall in love with Alaska and the itinerary is great!

The following info is too late for the OP, but may be useful for those contemplating a cruise to Alaska with teens in May 2018:

We cruised on the Noordam May 21-28. I booked this time of year because I wanted a fairly child-free cruise and I paid attention to how many kids were on board. I counted about 10 children under the age of 5 and two children that were school-aged (8-10). There were no kids older than this on board.

• 2 months later...
I, too, am cruising Alaska with my kids this summer. Our first one!

Zaandam, August 13.

16, 14, and 12 year olds.

My kids are very independent and fun. Between the novelty of being on a cruise ship and the 3 ports of call, I have zero doubts they will be bored. We plan to do may active excursions off-ship.

I am pretty sure even if they are the only kids on board, they will entertain themselves in the Loft, the Oasis, the pools, the hot tubs, the basketball court, the ping pong tables, the decks, the...well, the whole ship!

I am so looking forward to our trip!

Hi there

I am looking to do a Mediterranean cruise I July next year with four grandchildren aged 11, 13, 13 and 15. Will be very interested to hear how your kids enjoyed the cruise and teen entertainment.