Thanksgiving on the Princess Star

8 Westies Mom

We were originally booked for December 4, 2017, but moved due to ship dry docking. We are now on the November 14, 2017 sailing. This is our first time on Princess, first time to Hawaii and first time cruising over Thanksgiving.

Does anyone know if they will have a traditional American Thanksgiving dinner, with Turkey, potatoes, gravy, etc? My husband is wondering about football....will they show football games on the TV?

We have been on 7 NCL cruises, so this is our first with another cruise line. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Does anyone know if they will have a traditional American Thanksgiving dinner, with Turkey, potatoes, gravy, etc? Yes.

My husband is wondering about football....will they show football games on the TV? Never seen a football game on TV (but that's not something I look for). There are usually some football games at MUTS (Movies Under the Stars).

See above

We were on Ruby Princess over Thanksgiving 2014. Don't know if a 7 day Caribbean cruise compares to a 15 day Hawaii cruise three years later, but FWIW it was the rare cruise that all three fixed seating dining times were completely full, presumably as no one wanted to have to line up for ATD on a holiday.

Turkey dinner was excellent but was more continental style than American: turkey carved over a bed of carrots and broccoli though with lots of gravy, chestnut stuffing and candied yams on the side. If you like cranberry sauce be sure to ask for extra when you order else you will get just a thimbleful, something we learned from ordering turkey on other cruises.

The two daytime NFL games were shown poolside on Movies Under The Stars, the night game in one of the lounges; none on the stateroom TVs.

We were originally booked for December 4, 2017, but moved due to ship dry docking. We are now on the November 14, 2017 sailing. This is our first time on Princess, first time to Hawaii and first time cruising over Thanksgiving.

Does anyone know if they will have a traditional American Thanksgiving dinner, with Turkey, potatoes, gravy, etc? My husband is wondering about football....will they show football games on the TV?

We have been on 7 NCL cruises, so this is our first with another cruise line. Thanks!

Yes and most likely yes.

Did pretty much the same cruise on the Star in 2013. Turkey was good. Asked for mashed potatoes instead of sweet potatoes and asked for extra gravy as did a couple of other people at the table (group of CC roll call folks). The wait staff was happy to oblige. Enjoy. :)

We sailed on the Crown one year at Thanksgiving. They had a full traditional dinner in the MDR and all the regular turkey day offerings in the buffet. We were on St Martin on Thursday so I don't know if there was football on MUTS but they did show the OSU v Michigan game the Saturday we embarked.

We sailed on the Crown one year at Thanksgiving. They had a full traditional dinner in the MDR and all the regular turkey day offerings in the buffet. We were on St Martin on Thursday so I don't know if there was football on MUTS but they did show the OSU v Michigan game the Saturday we embarked.

Well you know they do have to show "The Big Game!" [emoji41]

Did pretty much the same cruise on the Star in 2013. Turkey was good. Asked for mashed potatoes instead of sweet potatoes and asked for extra gravy as did a couple of other people at the table (group of CC roll call folks). The wait staff was happy to oblige. Enjoy. :)

Turkey dinner must have mashed potatoes and lots of gravy!!! We tend to purchase an extra turkey or two when they are cheap at Thanksgiving time and then cook them here and there throughout the year. I can't handle only having turkey once per year like many people seem to do. I rarely do stuffing other than Thanksgiving though. Just cooking turkey and mashed potatoes is really easy to do.

Not too sure I would actually order turkey dinner on a cruise though unless there was really nothing else on the menu that interested me. Like I said, we get turkey enough times during the year as it is.

Lucky for me , I don't like pumpkin pie.

It's amazing to me that anybody could mess up pumpkin pie. The pumpkin is flavorless so only the spices make the traditional flavor. Heck, I've made "pumpkin" pie from other types of squash and, while the color was different, the taste was the same. The issue just seems to be that the folks doing the cooking on the ship don't have a clue what a traditional "American" pumpkin pie is supposed to taste like. Either that or they are trying to "fancy it up" when it's supposed to be pretty basic fare.

I like pie! Most pie. Pumpkin, cherry, apricot, peach, mince, deep dish apple, blueberry, pecan, walnut (same as pecan but with walnuts - my specialty), Lemon Meringue, the list goes on and on... A light and flaky crust is important and not really that difficult to attain if you take a little time and effort. I'm not a fan of cake but ooohhhhhhhh PIE!!! :D

It's amazing to me that anybody could mess up pumpkin pie. The pumpkin is flavorless so only the spices make the traditional flavor. Heck, I've made "pumpkin" pie from other types of squash and, while the color was different, the taste was the same. The issue just seems to be that the folks doing the cooking on the ship don't have a clue what a traditional "American" pumpkin pie is supposed to taste like. Either that or they are trying to "fancy it up" when it's supposed to be pretty basic fare.

I like pie! Most pie. Pumpkin, cherry, apricot, peach, mince, deep dish apple, blueberry, pecan, walnut (same as pecan but with walnuts - my specialty), Lemon Meringue, the list goes on and on... A light and flaky crust is important and not really that difficult to attain if you take a little time and effort. I'm not a fan of cake but ooohhhhhhhh PIE!!! :D

On Thanksgiving your best bet is the buffet. They've got everything that the DR has + a dozen other choices of main courses and other veggies.

You can see exactly what looks good & unlike the DR take as much as you want. I get so tired of getting 4 slim asparagus sticks & then have to send them back for more.

No flaky pie crust on Princess either. Mostly a doughy consistency.

They try their best I suppose.

Does anyone know if they will have a traditional American Thanksgiving dinner, with Turkey, potatoes, gravy, etc?

I was on a Thanksgiving cruise in 2015 and other people at our table who ordered the "turkey and trimmings" meal said it was just so-so. I ordered something else and glad I did. But it was my first Thanksgiving ever that I didn't eat the traditional foods. ;)

I was on a Thanksgiving cruise in 2015 and other people at our table who ordered the "turkey and trimmings" meal said it was just so-so. I ordered something else and glad I did. But it was my first Thanksgiving ever that I didn't eat the traditional foods. ;)

That's because they just ordered white meat turkey & their version of stuffing.

If you think you're going to get a typical "American Thanksgiving meal" you're in for a shock.

Next time try the buffet and you'll be pleasantly surprised.

In 2015, I was on the Grand during Thanksgiving and also got to watch the OSU-Michigan game! Was so happy!! :p