What are some good NCL cocktails that don't overload you with sugar?

I have to watch my sugar too. Gone are the days I could drink pina coladas all day - bummer. Wine and light beer work fine for me as do some of the martinis. As for mixed drinks I drink a lot of bloody marys. I have had very good luck with asking bar tenders for sugar-free mojitos. They crush the mint & lime without the sugar, put in the rum and fill it with diet Sprite. You might ask various bartenders what they can make without a lot of sugar. Lots of elderly folks cruise and are type 2 diabetics so they are probably used to making sugar-free drinks.

I have to watch my sugar too. Gone are the days when I could drink pina coladas all day - bummer. Wine and light beer work fine for me as do some of the martinis. Irish coffee with artificial sweetener is good. As for mixed drinks I drink a lot of bloody marys. I have had very good luck with asking bar tenders for sugar-free mojitos. They crush the mint & lime without the sugar, put in the rum and fill it with diet Sprite. You might ask various bartenders what they can make without a lot of sugar. Lots of elderly folks cruise and are type 2 diabetics so they are probably used to making sugar-free drinks.

This is a very timely topic since I'll be cruising for the first time since learning I have to control my carb intake. Vodka and soda with lime is my go to drink but vacation calls for something different than the usual. I had been planning to bring my sugar free margarita mix on board but now NCL won't allow liquids. Is it sad that I thought about trying to smuggle it in my rum runners? Does anyone know if diabetics can bring sugar free products like this on board if NCL doesn't have them? I'd certainly be willing to purchase on board.

Lots of elderly folks cruise and are type 2 diabetics so they are probably used to making sugar-free drinks.

not just elderly

• 29 million people in the United States (9.3 percent) have diabetes.
  • 1.7 million people aged 20 years or older were newly diagnosed with diabetes in 2012.
  • Non-Hispanic black, Hispanic, and American Indian/Alaska Native adults are about twice as likely to have diagnosed diabetes as non-Hispanic white adults.
  • 208,000 people younger than 20 years have been diagnosed with diabetes (type 1 or type 2).
  • 86 million adults aged 20 years and older have prediabetes.
  • The percentage of U.S. adults with prediabetes is similar for non-Hispanic whites (35 percent), non-Hispanic blacks (39 percent), and Hispanics (38 percent).

Since I like to taste my alcohol, my usual is a Dirty Gin martini. I have never been a sugary drink drinker, so either a martini or a beer is fine with me. Sticking with straight alcohol on rocks, neat, or with added flat or sparkling water will cut the sugar.

not just elderly

• 29 million people in the United States (9.3 percent) have diabetes.
  • 1.7 million people aged 20 years or older were newly diagnosed with diabetes in 2012.
  • Non-Hispanic black, Hispanic, and American Indian/Alaska Native adults are about twice as likely to have diagnosed diabetes as non-Hispanic white adults.
  • 208,000 people younger than 20 years have been diagnosed with diabetes (type 1 or type 2).
  • 86 million adults aged 20 years and older have prediabetes.
  • The percentage of U.S. adults with prediabetes is similar for non-Hispanic whites (35 percent), non-Hispanic blacks (39 percent), and Hispanics (38 percent).

The problem is alcohol is worse for diabetes than the sugar. The combination of alcohol and sugar for a diabetic can really throw their blood glucose off.

Sent from my iPad using Forums