Regent Policies, Rules & Guidelines

flossie009

:confused: I am certain that some of Regent's customers are as admirable and kind as the Regent management team

In fact I would say that the vast majority of Regent's guests we have met are very agreeable people. It is only a small minority who display the inconsiderate behaviours being discussed on this thread

Flossie, I couldn't agree more. In fact, I can remember pretty much every obnoxious passenger throughout the years precisely because there are so few of them.

Unfortunately it doesn't take too many of them to really take the luster off of an excursion or a day on board...although I refuse to let the few ruin a vacation for me.

I'm glad everyone liked the idea of byoc - bring your own chair idea. It also answers the question, what do I do with the butler? Maybe he can be like a runner at Academy awards and sit in it until you finish breakfast, lunch, morning trip, etc.

"There is a group of approximately 120 passengers that will meet at Regent corporate next month. I, for one, will make a point to point out the lack of enforcement of their policies. While this will not help you, bringing this issue to our attention will definitely help in the future. Thank you so much for your input!"

My wife and I are taking our first Regent cruise this summer having been a long time Crystal cruiser (this summer they didn't have an itinerary we liked so we thought we would try Regent). We have also cruised on other lines in the past (Carnival, RCCL, Oceana, etc) and the problem of lounge hogs exists on all cruise lines. What makes the premium lines different (i.e. Crystal and Regent) is how they react to these kinds of problems. I was disturbed to read how the Regent GM responded to the OP's complaint. I'm hoping that this is not the norm for Regent and would hope that at your meeting you will try to impress on Regent the importance of onboard crew enforcing the rules and regulations especially at the management or supervisory level.

We are just back(1 wk) from the BA to Rio cruise on Mariner , and I am very happy to report that the dress code was not only enforced, but accomplished in a very polished way! On the last night of the cruise in Compass Rose we observed 3 couples enter to be seated together. One couple was very nicely dressed , the other two were all wearing grubby t shirts with the distinction of the men wearing equally grubby shorts while the women wore long pants. Very swiftly the two men in shorts were approached by the maitre d and subsequently left. They returned in long pants. All seemed to be handled very cordially. I can not say enough how glad we were to see this!!! I hope this is always the rule and not the exception!

We are just back(1 wk) from the BA to Rio cruise on Mariner , and I am very happy to report that the dress code was not only enforced, but accomplished in a very polished way! On the last night of the cruise in Compass Rose we observed 3 couples enter to be seated together. One couple was very nicely dressed , the other two were all wearing grubby t shirts with the distinction of the men wearing equally grubby shorts while the women wore long pants. Very swiftly the two men in shorts were approached by the maitre d and subsequently left. They returned in long pants. All seemed to be handled very cordially. I can not say enough how glad we were to see this!!! I hope this is always the rule and not the exception!

Great to read... thanks for sharing.

Flossie, I couldn't agree more. In fact, I can remember pretty much every obnoxious passenger throughout the years precisely because there are so few of them.

Unfortunately it doesn't take too many of them to really take the luster off of an excursion or a day on board...although I refuse to let the few ruin a vacation for me.

For the record, I wasn't referring to "obnoxious passengers" (I agree, very few of them). I was thinking about passengers removing handicapped seats on the bus and taking the seats for themselves, lounge hogs, people that complain about everything to anyone that will listen (i.e. trying to make everyone as miserable as they are), passengers that feel entitled and are rude to crew members......... definitely neither "admirable" or "kind" and there are passengers that do this on just about every cruise.

Our last Explorer cruise was the best in terms of passengers ...... everyone seemed to get along and were friendly, little to no complaining, respect for one another ..... just the type of people that one enjoys sailing with. There was notable exception that falls into the "neither admirable or kind" category but that person was easy ignorable.

Regent's dinner dress requirements are so easy to comply with that I don't understand anybody who doesn't. All men (and women too) need to do is to wear slacks and a shirt (other than a grubby T) and there is no problem. Compare this with Silverseas, where they still have formal nights where men must wear a dark suit and tie or a tux!

For the record, I wasn't referring to "obnoxious passengers" (I agree, very few of them). I was thinking about passengers removing handicapped seats on the bus and taking the seats for themselves, lounge hogs, people that complain about everything to anyone that will listen (i.e. trying to make everyone as miserable as they are), passengers that feel entitled and are rude to crew members......... definitely neither "admirable" or "kind" and there are passengers that do this on just about every cruise.

Our last Explorer cruise was the best in terms of passengers ...... everyone seemed to get along and were friendly, little to no complaining, respect for one another ..... just the type of people that one enjoys sailing with. There was notable exception that falls into the "neither admirable or kind" category but that person was easy ignorable.

Apart from your last cruise, it sounds as if you have been very unlucky in the travelling companions you have encountered on Regent

For the best experience, you may want to put these past issues aside when you board next week and open yourself up to what is good about Regent guests. I hope so as this could/will enable you to have a much more enjoyable cruise

For the record, I wasn't referring to "obnoxious passengers" (I agree, very few of them). I was thinking about passengers removing handicapped seats on the bus and taking the seats for themselves, lounge hogs, people that complain about everything to anyone that will listen (i.e. trying to make everyone as miserable as they are), passengers that feel entitled and are rude to crew members..........

Jackie - I don't know about you, but what you described is pretty much my exact definition of "obnoxious passengers."

I'd forgotten about the idiots who remove the handicapped signs from the bus seats...ooohhhhh, that makes me very angry...very angry indeed (in my best Marvin the Martian voice).

Jackie - I don't know about you, but what you described is pretty much my exact definition of "obnoxious passengers."

I'd forgotten about the idiots who remove the handicapped signs from the bus seats...ooohhhhh, that makes me very angry...very angry indeed (in my best Marvin the Martian voice).

So, we do agree - it is so much easier when we agree:evilsmile: In terms of "obnoxious" people, they are fairly easy to avoid (except on buses - another reason that we don't like included excursions). When we are onboard a ship, we tend to either stay to ourselves or are with people we have cruised with before or "met" on Roll Call. We have no desire to meet people that may spend dinner complaining about everything - unable to be satisfied no matter what Regent does.

Of our many Regent cruises, we loved all but one of them. About 80% of the passengers were complaining about everything. Most of our cruises are lovely. Since I've mentioned our last cruise a few times and how exceptional it was, let me give the other side of the story (some of which I have not said in the past).

The voice of a complainer (and this is 100% true). My DH had double pneumonia on that cruise. When I stubbed my toe on the piece of wood that was stabilizing the bathroom door (sliding door), it was so bad that I could no longer wear most of my shoes for the rest of the cruise (and it continued hurting for 3 weeks after the cruise). We paid $600 (did not use OBC's) for a Regent Choice excursion where they served fossilized sea urchin and other similar courses. The best thing that we had was boar cheeks. The weather was too warm for a November crossing (definitely Regent's fault:halo:) and we packed incorrectly and I didn't have enough cooler clothes. The sliding glass door in my bedroom was taped shut during most of the cruise and the furniture on our balcony had to be tied down so it couldn't be used. We paid a lot for a Grand Suite so I should be complaining louder about that!

If you are still reading this, I'd be surprised. Who wants to hear about the negativity (especially when this was not Regent's fault*........ the ship issues were the fault of the builder)? However, we took all of this in stride and had a great time. People that we hung out with were aware of my DH's illness, my toe and saw the taped up glass door and wooden door wedge when they visited our suite. However, this was mentioned once and that was the end of it.

So back to policies, guidelines, etc., although it was warm I did not see much lounge hogging (books, etc. sunning or shading themselves on lounges with no humans). Most of the passengers were inside of the ship on sea days enjoying the events taking place.

In any case, I can't wait to board the ship on the 26th -- we always try to make lemonade out of lemons - no matter what the situation.

*I wrote about the excursion (which I suppose is Regent's fault) on our final questionnaire and included the menu. That excursion is no longer being offered by Regent.

Now see, I tend to be more of a social butterfly on a cruise than I am at home - but I give people one chance and one chance only. If I get any negative vibes or excessive whininess, it's over. The way I figure it, there are usually about 150-200 awesome people on board for every one twit. If I can avoid that one twit (and I'm getting much better about identifying them quickly) I have the chance to meet dozens of fun, interesting, enjoyable people.

I believe we've discussed the ritual of assigning names to people who fall into the 'twit' category. It's been years and my wife and I still chuckle about "Clutchy McLinecutter" and his gang. I, too, try and look for the good in any situation - but I'll tell you this, I'm taking my mother on my next cruise, and if anyone - anyone at all - gives her any grief, it's not gonna go well for them. I can deal with people being rude to me - but my mother isn't up for discussion.

Probably our worst cruise from a 'twit' standpoint was our first Baltic cruise seven years ago. Rude, nasty, complaining people everywhere. Nothing was good enough for these folks. Thank God the rest of the cruise was great, as most of the other passengers were nothing to write home about. I'm hoping our next Baltic trip in August has a more upbeat gang on board.

Now if you'll excuse me, for some reason I have the urge to get a tall glass of lemonade right about now...

Agree about your mother (or any family member). I'm even extremely protective of my DH..... the few times that I've really "gone off" on someone, was because of the way he was treated.

Since there will be many people on your cruise that will still be onboard from our cruise, they should already be mellow and happy. Besides, as I've mentioned, this group is particularly nice and easy to get along with.

TC, I'm sure it's gonna be a happy and mellow crowd overall...but like we mentioned earlier, all it takes is one. I'm not worried, though - all the time I've spent on this earth so far, I've pretty much learned how to spot, avoid, and if necessary, confront those who look to harsh the buzz of my cruise vacations.

Re: Several above inputs from those folks who will join with us at Miami on March 25th--then board "Explorer" on the 26th. In our case, wife Sue and I stay-aboard to Venice.

As this date approaches, it is time to take a deep, deep breath, and count our blessings. So-apt comments as to those few fellow-passengers who very-early on any cruise (whether on a mass, or premium Line) self-identify as chronic complainers, whiners, and basically those to be avoided as Trivia partners, let-alone sharing a table at specialty restaurants.

Perspective: Each of us have an individual historical narrative. Mine is as a retired Army Officer (guess you figured this out from my tagline). As to cuisine expectations: having consumed "C-Rats" in South Vietnam for months-on-end while an Infantry 'Grunt Platoon Leader back in the day--'68-69--such experience has informed my outlook on life for the past almost-50 years on matters way-beyond food. .

Again, count our (your) blessings. BTW: C-Rats ( I will explain such while meeting w/fellow CC folks, if they will indulge me) were really great--once one figured out the coding on the pallets of such which were dropped by 'helo at our numerous "RON" III Corps locations (way north of Saigon, up to the Cambodian border. Again: perspective--the alternative menu? Do not want to go there.

Enough. But, cannot resist one aspect Sue and I always observe while in CR: This goes to the first acknowledged receipt of a "cackle" heard from a fellow guest (usually female). We tend to show up on the early-side, around 1830-1845H. So--just wait about 45 minutes. Wait for it--- Sure enough, around that time the first cackle emanates across the room. Yes, another indicator of our good fellow-cruisers having enjoyed maybe an additional pre-dinner cocktail.

All in good fun.

Best to all, and see many of you in about 10 days.

GoARMY!

Well, you won't see us for about 21 days, but looking forward to some pampering.

I was on active duty when we switched from C's to MREs. Some were a real improvement, some - well, not so much. It led to some hoarding of our little green cans, but we eventually transitioned to the brown bags. I've heard that the new MREs are leaps and bounds better than the originals, but I really don't feel the need to see for myself.

Even the worst meal on Regent beats C-rats any day of the week. But you sure could cook up some tasty concoctions with a bit of spare time and the right seasonings...

At the beginning of our current 20 day cruise on Explorer my wife and I had concerns regarding the availability of loungers on the pool deck, particularly on sea days.

We noted this, along with some other issues, on the first comments card, received after 3-4 days.Within 24 hours the General Manager, Mr Michael Coghlan, asked to meet with me to discuss the issues.

Im delighted to say that all of the issues were dealt with with some urgency, including the ‘chair hogging’ issue.

In the past few sea days there has been a succession of items removed from unoccupied chairs, and placed on the ‘table of shame’ near the pool bar. The crew are taking timed photos of the said items, to validate their actions. Senior & junior officers have been very visible around the pool deck monitoring this issue. One of the officers that appears to have made a big difference on the pool deck is a recently aboard F&B Director – Daniela – a very sharp lady IMHO.

I’m delighted that the GM appears to have swiftly taken this issue onboard, that many on here have been calling for. Also thank you to the posters here who encourage the use of the comment cards. On the basis of this issue they really do work.

At the beginning of our current 20 day cruise on Explorer my wife and I had concerns regarding the availability of loungers on the pool deck, particularly on sea days.

We noted this, along with some other issues, on the first comments card, received after 3-4 days.Within 24 hours the General Manager, Mr Michael Coghlan, asked to meet with me to discuss the issues.

Im delighted to say that all of the issues were dealt with with some urgency, including the ‘chair hogging’ issue.

In the past few sea days there has been a succession of items removed from unoccupied chairs, and placed on the ‘table of shame’ near the pool bar. The crew are taking timed photos of the said items, to validate their actions. Senior & junior officers have been very visible around the pool deck monitoring this issue. One of the officers that appears to have made a big difference on the pool deck is a recently aboard F&B Director – Daniela – a very sharp lady IMHO.

I’m delighted that the GM appears to have swiftly taken this issue onboard, that many on here have been calling for. Also thank you to the posters here who encourage the use of the comment cards. On the basis of this issue they really do work.

I am so very happy to hear the good news. Yes - Daniela is amazing! She is apparently onboard early as she was due to embark the same day that we are. Cruise Director John Barron should also be onboard now - another extraordinary officer.

Continue to enjoy your cruise (and now you can actually find a lounge to relax on!):D

Where is that "Like" button when you need it?

I just wish the (same) GM had acted during our 14 Feb cruise. I guess CC does have an impact😏

Where is that "Like" button when you need it?

I just wish the (same) GM had acted during our 14 Feb cruise. I guess CC does have an impact😏

Thanks for your comments lprp. I think you are correct in your assumption that comments on CC are heard, at least by those onboard the ships.

I tend to be quite critical when customer facing companies do not deliver what they promise but I have to say I am quite impressed with how the management reacted to the meetings with the 'Cotswold Critic'.

I will post further comments towards the end of our cruise but suffice to say we are impressed so far :)

I am so very happy to hear the good news. Yes - Daniela is amazing! She is apparently onboard early as she was due to embark the same day that we are. Cruise Director John Barron should also be onboard now

Yes - he joined us in Miami a couple of days ago.

Mrs Machotspur and I are not really into the cruise ship shows but we both agree that the British Invasion show we have seen twice on this cruise is the best ever. (I know we are a little biased).

And much to our surprise John Barron, on intruducing the show was really hilarious!!

Apologies for being a little off topic

Yes - he joined us in Miami a couple of days ago.

Mrs Machotspur and I are not really into the cruise ship shows but we both agree that the British Invasion show we have seen twice on this cruise is the best ever. (I know we are a little biased).

And much to our surprise John Barron, on intruducing the show was really hilarious!!

Apologies for being a little off topic

If John Barron does his show, it is not to be missed.