Regent Policies, Rules & Guidelines

flossie009

It was the shade on the daybeds that were tied up. There were a couple of occasions when I watched a pool waiter make a hole in the canvas and then secure the shade in an upright position tying it to the railings or to the base of the bed itself (see photos - apologies I cannot work out how to embed them in the post!)

The awnings are laced or clipped to their fixed stands - these are on both sides of the deck above the pool. They were in situ when got on the ship in Miami, but were gone by the time we left Key West. The only part of the awning shade left up was a tiny triangle piece that provided shade for about 10 minutes (I didn't take photos of these, but this is a link to a CC photo http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/photos/ships/seven-seas-explorer-998/pool-298994/pool--v13636734/).

Thanks so much for the photos - now I understand the situation more. I guess that this is one reason why portable umbrellas are out of the question! I actually was thinking of the metal overhangs (not sure what to call them) that have slats and are on deck 11 - above the pool deck. I mistakenly thought that they were damaged.

Although Regent spend a ton of money on the ship, sometimes they are sold something that does not live up to the manufacturers claims. This could be the case with the loungers with the shade thing (not sure what to call them).

Short comment about passengers being responsible for the issue. Of course they are..... however, this thread is about policies, rules and guidelines. If these were being enforced, the problem would likely cease to exist. The "buck" stops with the G,M.

I'm one for pushing the limit to see what happens, if you were to pick up a pool lounger and attempt to bring it to your room so you have one for tomorrow - some one would stop you - right? It makes a point and I bet if you explain why you feel that you must do this, the main problem may be resolved! I would love to hear about someone trying this! :D

You are giving me (naughty) ideas.

When we embarked 8 days ago I asked our butler to provide an additional lounger for our verandah.

He speedily carried one to our suite, sourced from an unknown location.

Now how about doing this in reverse ? Every time we want to sit around the pool we ask our butler to carry our two loungers from our seat to our preferred position on the pool deck. Lounger hogger par excellence :cool::)

NB - conscious of how humour doesn't always transfer well between different nations, please be assured that the above is made purely in jest (I think;))

When we embarked 8 days ago I asked our butler to provide an additional lounger for our verandah.

Now how about doing this in reverse ? Every time we want to sit around the pool we ask our butler to carry our two loungers from our seat to our preferred position on the pool deck. Lounger hogger par excellence :cool::)

NB - conscious of how humour doesn't always transfer well between different nations, please be assured that the above is made purely in jest (I think;))

You even made this American smile:D

I want to comment about one of your earlier posts (today I think). The information I've shared about fixing certain issues in Miami came directly from the General Manager onboard the Explorer in November. He was in Genoa during the building of the ship and is therefore more knowledgeable about the ship than other G.M.'s. He is no longer on the ship and I have no idea if there have been delays or ???

I'm really wishing that I were onboard right now but have to wait another 12 days!

Actually, I think that is a great idea. It would make a point.

Love it!

Here's an option for those without a butler:

1. Source empty loungers - there are odd ones dotted around - or the deck attendants will get them
  2. Move "hogged" lounger in the shade into the sun - so you're not moving the hogs precious stuff 😉
  3. Move your empty lounger into the shady spot, lay back and relax - Cheers 🍹🍻

My husband would still hate it though 😖

Love it!

Here's an option for those without a butler:

1. Source empty loungers - there are odd ones dotted around - or the deck attendants will get them
  2. Move "hogged" lounger in the shade into the sun - so you're not moving the hogs precious stuff 😉
  3. Move your empty lounger into the shady spot, lay back and relax - Cheers 🍹🍻

My husband would still hate it though 😖

Love your idea...... but, wouldn't it be easier to put the "hogged" lounger's belongings into the sun and take the shady spot? And, to confuse them, move another hog's belongings from a shady lounge and move them as well. If you move enough things, no one will know who did it.:halo:

Love your idea...... but, wouldn't it be easier to put the "hogged" lounger's belongings into the sun and take the shady spot? And, to confuse them, move another hog's belongings from a shady lounge and move them as well. If you move enough things, no one will know who did it.:halo:

Travelcat2, why doesn't the person who should deal with this do something? What if deck chairs had attachments that revealed when a person vacated the chair? So many items are computerized today. How about workers on the pool deck dropping a card on a vacated chair with the time. After the agreed upon time with no return, release the chair. This is Regent, so stuff in a plastic bag dropped in a bin or some such thing. The same people put laundry into the ship's dryers and disappear. I have a simple remedy. After waiting a few minutes, I remove everything and but it in a basket.

Embarkation is fast approaching. With the exception of taking our Chihuahuas to Doggie Camp, we are enthusiastic about everything, including meeting all of you!

Mary

An even easier idea would be when making your precruise requests for pillows, special sodas or beer, duct tape, scissors, screwdriver etc., request a simple bicycle cable with lock to chain the lounge chairs up for the night against one of the out of the way railings.

Jackie that's a great idea! I will absolutely do this in Mexico if the situation presents itself.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Please report back if you do that:evilsmile:

Mary, love your ideas as well. You can't argue with a computer so if a computer "says" that your belongings were left for too long, you can scream at it all you want and nothing will happen.

Starting to get excited about the upcoming cruise. It is the leaving the kitties (and your dogs) that makes us feel bad. Every time I open a suitcase to put something in, a cat jumps in. Many times they take a nap in a suitcase (so, if you see black cat hairs on my clothes, you know where they are from)..

I truly do not think that we will have a problem with "hogs" on our cruise but I will check it out periodically. I would like to get an update on what is going on with the Explorer but I have yet to meet our G.M. and he most likely isn't a fan of mine based on my recent posts. I am friendly with the C.D. and F&B Director and they may have some information that I can share

I plan on doing a "Live (Lite) from the Explorer) as I have little left to report other than items that people are complaining about on the Regent board. Hopefully you and others will contribute to the thread. Regent posters really need to hear other voices (JMHO).

I would respectfully suggest that such matters as the chair-hogging problem are two-pronged issues. First, there is, as flossie stated, lack of basic consideration on the part of certain passengers for the reasonable expectations of other passengers. Second, as other posters have noted, there appears to be a rather appalling lack of enforcement of clearly-stated policies by the management onboard, including, it sadly appears, the GM.

That sort of craven approach by management is not worthy of a line of Regent's stature and should be corrected by management in Miami. Perhaps, it is simply a matter of Miami both empowering the onboard management to be more assertive and backing that onboard management when the offending passengers complain that they have been ill-treated. I will be following the comments on this matter with avid interest as many of the posters on this thread enjoy the Explorer experience over the next couple of months.

Note to flossie - Friends of ours have a question regarding your Bagan excursion on our recent cruise. Would you please be so kind as to drop me a note? freddie98282 at gmail dot com Thanks very much.

I’ve got to be the saddest person around, counting items on loungers !!

It's 9am on our second sea day on Explorer. Whilst reasonably sunny, it is pretty windy out there, with a fair bit of rocking and rolling.

As a consequence Deck 12 has been closed, taking a high number of loungers out of use at a stroke.

At this time there are 38 loungers occupied by nothing but books, hats or t shirts. At 9am. I've stood there for 5 minutes observing various guests depositing their items on loungers, then continuing in to La Veranda for a leisurely breakfast. There is absolutely no evidence of any attempt to control this activity.

I suspect that by 10.30am today there won't be a unoccupied/unhogged lounger to be found.

Despite what some on here say, this is a major issue, at least on this cruise.

I repeat what I said after the last sea day. We like Explorer a great deal but will most certainly not book another Regent cruise with a hot weather/high sea day itinerary, unless the situation with loungers improves.

There should be an article in Passages that states the following:

Deck Chairs - Poolside Etiquette

Complimentary chaise lounges and extra large towels are provided for the use and enjoyment of all guests onboard and are available on a first come, first served basis. As acourtesy to your fellow guests, we kindly request that you refrain from the practice of reserving chaise lounges and day beds with personal items. Sun loungers cannot be reserved for longer than 30-minutes. If you are not present on the Pool Deck, Wait Staff and Deck Stewards will clear chaises and day beds of any personal items to make them available for use by your fellow guests.

There should also be a table (covered with the Regent table covering) with two signs: One states "Unaccompanied Belongings Table" and the other states the above policy. Whether you call it is rule, policy or suggestion, it is meant to be enforced. Perhaps a copy of the Passages article should be given to the G.M.

P.S. Apparently some guests get creative and move their belongings to restart the clock but still, there should be plenty of items on the "Belongings Table" (wish I could post the picture that I now have of the table but hopefully we'll get a report back that there is one).

I repeat what I said after the last sea day. We like Explorer a great deal but will most certainly not book another Regent cruise with a hot weather/high sea day itinerary, unless the situation with loungers improves.

I've only sailed one time on any line other than Regent so I don't know how it is on other ships, but is the chair hog problem less serious on other lines? I can't see the mega-ships having a better chair to passenger ratio - do they enforce it better or what?

Many years ago we were on a Princess cruise & the lack of available loungers was such a problem that Celebrity Chef James Martin brought one with him to the theatre when he was giving his cookery demonstration!! His audience appreciated the joke as we were all suffering.

There should be an article in Passages that states the following:

Deck Chairs - Poolside Etiquette

Complimentary chaise lounges and extra large towels are provided for the use and enjoyment of all guests onboard and are available on a first come, first served basis. As acourtesy to your fellow guests, we kindly request that you refrain from the practice of reserving chaise lounges and day beds with personal items. Sun loungers cannot be reserved for longer than 30-minutes. If you are not present on the Pool Deck, Wait Staff and Deck Stewards will clear chaises and day beds of any personal items to make them available for use by your fellow guests.

There should also be a table (covered with the Regent table covering) with two signs: One states "Unaccompanied Belongings Table" and the other states the above policy. Whether you call it is rule, policy or suggestion, it is meant to be enforced. Perhaps a copy of the Passages article should be given to the G.M.

P.S. Apparently some guests get creative and move their belongings to restart the clock but still, there should be plenty of items on the "Belongings Table" (wish I could post the picture that I now have of the table but hopefully we'll get a report back that there is one).

All of this is in place and has been since the first day of our cruise. It clearly isn't working !

I have yet to see a single item on that table. A junior officer told me that it's mainly there for show.

As part of the 25th Anniversary, top Regent management will be onboard the Explorer next month (boarding April 9th - when we get off of the ship). I suspect that all policies will be enforced to the letter on that cruise. Jason Montague (CEO and President of Regent) is a really nice man -- hope the complaints will be toned down and polite. As I have posted more than once on this thread, the enforcement is up to the current G.M. Corporate sets the rules but cannot see what is going on aboard their ships. For this reason, your comment cards are so very important!

There will be 120 of "us" on the March 26th cruise - many of whom are doing a B2B and will be on the "special" cruise. I have no doubt that these passengers will give Mr. Montague balanced reviews of the Explorer (they are definitely not a group of complainers).

I suspect that the crew on the pool deck will soon learn that the table for belongings is NOT for show!

I've only sailed one time on any line other than Regent so I don't know how it is on other ships, but is the chair hog problem less serious on other lines? I can't see the mega-ships having a better chair to passenger ratio - do they enforce it better or what?

I meant to respond to your post earlier. Yes - this is a huge problem on other ships. I read several other boards - mainly Silversea, Oceania and the "Cruise Questions" boards. The chair hog problem is more serious on the larger cruise lines but can also be an issue on luxury cruise lines (less passengers but also less places to sit by the small pools). Try picturing a family of six (4 children) putting all of their stuff on six loungers ........ then multiply that by about 800.

IMO, the number of people affected on Regent by lounge hogging is small. And, it only occurs on certain itineraries and on certain days (sea days). If, for instance, they enforced it on the current cruise for two days in a row, I suspect the problem would be gone (at least for this cruise).

As part of the 25th Anniversary, top Regent management will be onboard the Explorer next month (boarding April 9th - when we get off of the ship). I suspect that all policies will be enforced to the letter on that cruise. Jason Montague (CEO and President of Regent) is a really nice man -- hope the complaints will be toned down and polite. As I have posted more than once on this thread, the enforcement is up to the current G.M. Corporate sets the rules but cannot see what is going on aboard their ships. For this reason, your comment cards are so very important!

There will be 120 of "us" on the March 26th cruise - many of whom are doing a B2B and will be on the "special" cruise. I have no doubt that these passengers will give Mr. Montague balanced reviews of the Explorer (they are definitely not a group of complainers).

I suspect that the crew on the pool deck will soon learn that the table for belongings is NOT for show!

Good to know. We'll be on that cruise, I'd like to get an opportunity to speak with Jason and his posse. And no worries, I'll be polite as always. :D

Good to know. We'll be on that cruise, I'd like to get an opportunity to speak with Jason and his posse. And no worries, I'll be polite as always. :D

I would definitely not worry about you...... you kindness and politeness shows through on your posts (now don't get a big head:halo:). Although we have sailed with Jason on the christening cruise and are "friends" on Facebook, we have not "officially" met but will do so on March 25th. I am quite impressed with everything I've heard/read about him. In fact, the Regent management team that I have met are all admirable and kind people (wish that some of their customers were as admirable and kind).

What deck is your suite on (just curious)? We've been in two mid-ship suites, a far forward and next will be far aft. Interestingly, when it came to booking our 2019 Explorer cruise, we selected mid-ship (but could change to an aft suite - depending upon our experience on our upcoming cruise.)

I suspect that you will enjoy every minute on the Explorer (correction..... perhaps your time on the internet won't be as wonderful as you wished it would be).

TC, I've obviously got YOU fooled! ;p

We're booked on deck 7 forward, and we have my mom & her husband on deck 6 aft. We told them that was all that was left, but the truth is we wanted a bit of separation. Shhhh - don't tell them...

In fact, the Regent management team that I have met are all admirable and kind people (wish that some of their customers were as admirable and kind).

:confused: I am certain that some of Regent's customers are as admirable and kind as the Regent management team

In fact I would say that the vast majority of Regent's guests we have met are very agreeable people. It is only a small minority who display the inconsiderate behaviours being discussed on this thread