Regent Policies, Rules & Guidelines

flossie009

I miss a more nicely dressed public, too. I miss the days where people felt good about themselves and wanted to project a neat, clean image. But as you said, those days are fading (have faded?) away.

But I also miss the days where people were more civil to each other as well. I honestly don't see where every thread has to have at least one personal attack in it. However you feel about other posters, it's these kinds of comments that turn a thread sour. I don't recall TC telling all of us what is acceptable or not - she usually just posts Regent's published dress code. I, for one, don't see a problem with that.

If you would be so kind, though, to post your thoughts and impressions of Seabourn, I'd really appreciate it - they're on my short list as an alternative to Regent if the itinerary is right. I'd like to know what you think of them.

You are right about a lot that you say.......guess I just lost a bit of my civility when the OP mentioned a possible solution like 'shaming' those that do not follow the 'letter' of ship guidelines.

When I go on a cruise, I go to relax. To tell you the truth...I never usually really notice what others our wearing.

I apologize to anyone who might have been offended by my prior post.

You are right about a lot that you say.......guess I just lost a bit of my civility when the OP mentioned a possible solution like 'shaming' those that do not follow the 'letter' of ship guidelines.

When I go on a cruise, I go to relax. To tell you the truth...I never usually really notice what others our wearing.

I apologize to anyone who might have been offended by my prior post.

Shippy, no apology necessary. I wasn't specifically referring to your post and definitely wasn't offended. And I agree with the OP - passenger shaming might help cure some social ills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I read somewhere here on CC once that one of the mass market lines (RCI?) had the deck staff putting a little cardboard clock or similar sign on lounge chairs with items on them. The time displayed was 30 minutes from when the sign went on. If the "owner" wasn't back by then, his items were picked up by the staff, and the chair was then free for someone else to use.

On a past Voyager cruise, there were 4 friends who each had two chairs occupied. One in the shade, and one in sun. After watching them switch back and forth for several days, another passenger got fed up and just sat down on the one she wanted. The chair hog confronted her saying, "That's my chair!" The answer was, "No it's not - that one over there is. I just saw you sitting in it." End of discussion.

Edited by Swelldame
typo

That clock is a great idea. It's like a parking enforcement officer marking your car's tires, but nicer.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

How about a countdown clock connected to a shock collar that zaps the offender if they don't take their reserved seat within the allotted time? A bit harsh but better than keel hauling...

fizzy,

We last cruised Regent about a year ago on a tropical cruise. The only real dress code matter was at dinner, and most all guys wore casual slacks and sport shirts -- sometimes with a jacket. That's what I did. I felt that the dress code was just fine with me. Now where I live, guys wear either jeans or shorts, depending on season. But not every place is like that, even though dress has generally become more casual over the years. Regent seems to have reached a "happy medium".

I haven't worn a tie in years, and didn't on Regent. And I had a lot of company in this!

Not sure why there are two threads about the same thing however, it is what it is. As determined on the other thread, there is apparently no policy/rule regarding hogging lounges on the pool deck. I went along with the assumption that there was because there is such a policy/rule on Oceania (and it is enforced). Until and unless Regent comes out with specifics about this issue, it does not make sense to ask for enforcement of a policy that doesn't exist.

As with many things, Regent thinks of luxury cruise passengers as educated adults that would not stoop to the level of hogging chairs or dressing in a manner that would go against what they suggest.

So, no matter what you think of the dress code, it is what Regent stipulates on their website. And, in terms of chair hogging, apparently we are wrong in expecting Regent crew members to do anything about it.

Not sure why there are two threads about the same thing however, it is what it is. As determined on the other thread, there is apparently no policy/rule regarding hogging lounges on the pool deck. I went along with the assumption that there was because there is such a policy/rule on Oceania (and it is enforced). Until and unless Regent comes out with specifics about this issue, it does not make sense to ask for enforcement of a policy that doesn't exist.

So, no matter what you think of the dress code, it is what Regent stipulates on their website. And, in terms of chair hogging, apparently we are wrong in expecting Regent crew members to do anything about it.

While I tend to agree that enforcement of a policy against chair hogging has been lax or nonexistent at times, I do not agree that such a policy does not exist. On the first day of last November's TA on Explorer, the following notice was published in Passages along with many other notices:

DECK CHAIRS - POOLSIDE ETIQUETTE

Complimentary chaise lounges and extra large towels are provided for the use and enjoyment of all guests onboard and are available on a first come, first served basis. As courtesy to your fellow guests, we kindly request that you refrain from the practice of reserving chaise lounges and day beds with personal items. Sun loungers cannot be reserved for longer than 30 minutes. If you are not present on the Pool Deck, Wait Staff and Deck Stewards will clear chaises and day beds of any personal items to make them available for use by your fellow guests.

I've seen similar notices on other Regent cruises so I doubt this was a one-time notice. Of course, the notice may have not been published on all Regent cruises.

Passengers have to nicely complain when the above policy is not followed. We have to insist that Regent follow its stated policy, including complainimg to upper management if necessary.

While I tend to agree that enforcement of a policy against chair hogging has been lax or nonexistent at times, I do not agree that such a policy does not exist. On the first day of last November's TA on Explorer, the following notice was published in Passages along with many other notices:

DECK CHAIRS - POOLSIDE ETIQUETTE

Complimentary chaise lounges and extra large towels are provided for the use and enjoyment of all guests onboard and are available on a first come, first served basis. As courtesy to your fellow guests, we kindly request that you refrain from the practice of reserving chaise lounges and day beds with personal items. Sun loungers cannot be reserved for longer than 30 minutes. If you are not present on the Pool Deck, Wait Staff and Deck Stewards will clear chaises and day beds of any personal items to make them available for use by your fellow guests.

I've seen similar notices on other Regent cruises so I doubt this was a one-time notice. Of course, the notice may have not been published on all Regent cruises.

Passengers have to nicely complain when the above policy is not followed. We have to insist that Regent follow its stated policy, including complainimg to upper management if necessary.

Finally...... thank you so much for posting this. Too bad that it isn't also on Regent's website (although, based on questions on the Regent board, few people read that either).

You also mentioned the "key" to getting anything done in this world...... "nicely complain" and insist that Regent (or any other company) follow their written policy.

Thank you again!

.. "nicely complain" and insist that Regent (or any other company) follow their written policy.

Thank you again!

That's not luxury; It should be automatically taken care of so all passengers have the right to use the deck. If there is a dress code to enforce, they need to inform the guests that aren't following it. They need to update the policy to describe what are acceptable clothing.

ohhhhhh.....a NOTICE! Way to make an impression, Regent!

The obvious fact is, some guests could give a rip about the NOTICE. It is great that some crew enforce the rule, but others don't. What to say for the ones that offer a cruise amount, but are overruled by the ones that pay more, the ones that are "special" because they can pay more? Hello caste, Titanic (sorry for being pedantic).

The point is, how does one politely say what is unacceptable behavior?

I would say.....you cannot. You never will....tolerance goes both ways. For instance, you might hate the cap at lunch, while I hate your scowls. If my cap ruins your lunch, is it my problem or you? The hate.....maybe I equally hate your attitude....its an unseemly situation...its condescending. Just saying, think of that while you hate my cap. On the other hand, it does not excuse those that expect that it is "their" vacation and the heck to anyone else.

Wearing a baseball cap for lunch (I have bad hair)....get over it. Wearing a baseball cap for dinner.....I wouldn't even think of it and anyone that does, deserves a beating (figuratively of course). I realize that common sense is not so common, but really, why does common sense have to be so difficult?

Just asking, rhetorically.

Honest Question:

Has anyone's cruise been ruined or otherwise disrupted by another guests attire?

I don't mean the obvious...shorts and t shirt at dinner or swimwear at the inside bar. Please be honest with your comments.

Edited by Mailman055

I agree with ChatCat. Complaining is not what I am paying for.

Unfortunately,the policy will never be applicable for the ones that ALWAYS want to push the edges.

Edited by Mailman055

As with many things, Regent thinks of luxury cruise passengers as educated adults that would not stoop to the level of hogging chairs or dressing in a manner that would go against what they suggest.

Regent management are obviously very naive. Having sufficient funds to go on a luxury cruise does not necessarily bring with it education, class, civility or consideration

Most guests on Regent are fine, but on most cruises there are a small minority with no thought for others :(

Could anyone explain what the difference is between a rule and a policy? Is one that can be enforced by staff....and what staff? We are often told that exceptions to the dress code can be made due to late excursions returning. Why? Could someone dozing by the pool at 6PM decide to join the group returning from day trips and if not, why? Food is certainly available 24 hours a day. If Regent wants a certain dress code then they either have to keep the dining room open later or change their excursion vendors. When a restaurant manager advises someone to go back to their cabin to change and the person demands to speak to a higher up....will that higher up back their manager? You clearly can't please everyone. I would think that the market would adjust itself and people who don't care for the style or vibe of a company would move on or try another line. I have begun to cringe at the constant use of the term "luxury" in discussing cruise lines as though it indicates that the passengers are well educated, wealthy and exude class. Regent (or any company) should make clear to their customers what the business model is and who they are trying to sell to and then stick with it. If they choose not to do this, other than safety issues or illegal activities, things should adjust on their own. There are so many choices out there.

As a rule, society dictates what is acceptable. In recent years, society has deemed a relaxing of the rules acceptable. You can quibble all you want about hats at dinner/lunch, flesh exposed at the pool grill, rule vs. policy, etc...but although the range of accepted dress and behavior is getting wider, there are still limits.

Look at photos of passengers on the Titanic. What Regent considers 'luxury' would barley have passed muster in steerage back then. Societal acceptance has changed drastically. And unlike luxury liners of yore where you had 2, 3, or more distinct classes of service, Regent tries to apply their version of the luxury experience on one class of passenger. And therein lies the biggest challenge.

Regent caters to the wealthy, the very wealthy, the marginally wealthy, the barely wealthy, and the not wealthy. Some folks can afford to sail 100+ days on Regent in a large suite and not really blink an eye. Many of us can afford a 10-14 day getaway once a year (or twice if we're lucky). Some of us scrape together enough to enjoy an H cabin for a once-in-a-lifetime cruise. And Regent needs to find a way to accommodate all of these people on one small ship.

Considering all that, I'd say Regent does a stellar job accommodating this wide sampling of society. But as with any slice of humanity, you're going to have outliers. And it's how we deal with those on the fringe of acceptability that really defines luxury to me. Regent has rules (or policies, or guidelines, or whatever) for a reason, and that's to try and keep everyone held to a similar standard of behavior, whether that's dress, or table manners, or courtesy to others, etc. When we're on a Regent ship, I believe that Regent has the right, as well as an obligation, to define what's acceptable for all passengers. Just as I might kick off my shoes and rest my feet on my coffee table at home, I'd never consider doing it at someone else's home. It's just polite. Yet there are some on board who wouldn't have a problem doing something similar on board the ship. As I've said before, the vast majority of Regent passengers I've encountered are courteous, polite, friendly, and enjoyable people. There have been the rare exceptions, of course.

Eh, I'm rambling. Bottom line: Regent's boat, Regent's rules. Don't like it? Choose another line. That's the beauty of choice.

More coffee now.

Actually, Regent is an all-inclusive luxury cruise line (as defined by the cruise industry). And, IMO, there are differences between what is expected on a luxury cruise line, a premium cruise line or a mainstream cruise line but that is a discussion for another thread.

Bill, thank you for ranting for me;p

Regent does have rules/policies, etc. (definition not required IMO - if someone says no hats in the dining room, it doesn't matter if it is a policy, rule or otherwise) and are usually enforced. The fact that sometimes they are not enforced is why two almost identical threads were started. The rest of this discussion is minutiae.

To repeat Bill's succinct statement, " Regent's boat, Regent's rules. Don't like it? Choose another line. That's the beauty of choice"

I do not think Regent will chance insulting ANY paying passengers.....

Let us look at their current occupancy...on cruises this close in... I would assume they would like to see full ships

Voyager April 8th 71 empty cabins

Navigator April 21st 35 empty cabins

Explorer April 26th 75 empty cabins

Mariner May 15th 88 empty cabins

It gets down to...if you are not happy with the way Regent enforces or does not enforce rules...time to go elsewhere.

The one area I can see them having a zero tolerance for is if a passenger shames or harasses or embarrasses any other passenger.

I do not think Regent will chance insulting ANY paying passengers.....

Let us look at their current occupancy...on cruises this close in... I would assume they would like to see full ships

Voyager April 8th 71 empty cabins

Navigator April 21st 35 empty cabins

Explorer April 26th 75 empty cabins

Mariner May 15th 88 empty cabins

It gets down to...if you are not happy with the way Regent enforces or does not enforce rules...time to go elsewhere.

The one area I can see them having a zero tolerance for is if a passenger shames or harasses or embarrasses any other passenger.

Curious - where did you get these statistics?

I'm not really a good authority on dress, as where I live we have billionaires (literally) whom you never see without jeans! A friend of mine called me for advice on how to get the blue staining from jeans off the leather seats of his Bentley! But not every place is like Durango Colorado so I don't try to wear jeans to dinner on Regent. But I WILL NOT wear a tie!

Actually, Regent IS a luxury line. We've been on others (like Seabourn) and find Regent just as luxurious, and perhaps more so.

Curious - where did you get these statistics?

You can go on most any internet travel agency & look up what is left in each category. You can also see the cabin numbers. Nice to know because after you book, if you see a cabin in your same category that you like better....say for location...you can just call & switch.

I did that on Regent last year because I wanted a cabin with just the shower, not the kind where you have to step into the tub for a shower. All cruiselines let you do that.

There are actually more cabins empty than I said because the ships always hold back a few cabins. A few times ,on different cruiselines, we did guarantee bookings. That is where sometimes you can get a very good price but do not get to choose your cabin.

Almost always we have been assigned cabins that did no show on the 'public' inventory.

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to the real world.

A dress code or forcing people to sign a paper won't do anything.

It's all about entitlement, no matter what an accurate description of jeans are.

Our culture has allowed individuals to snub their noses at the rules and get away with it.

Too bad keel hauling is a thing of the past.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As I understand it, the only time jeans or shorts are NOT allowed in the dining room (or anywhere else) is a dinner. Then less informal dress is required. Doesn't seem like much of a big deal. Many parts of the US have become very informal as to customary dress. My are is one of them where I can wear jeans or shorts (depending on climate and season) anywhere I know of. But I understand it is not that way everywhere in the US. By requiring me to wear slacks and a shirt other than a "T" to dinner seems a reasonable compromise, given the vicarious dress custom in different parts of the US.