PO Cruises are now too expensive

mickey89

You're wrong on a couple of points there dai. You cannot select your cabin on ALL select fares any more. Check out some of the recent P&O threads on here. Whilst on my cruise, about 10 days ago, after going to the loyalty desk, I went online to check availability on the P&O website. I chose a select fare, went all the way through to the section that said 'choose your cabin'. I clicked to proceed and got a message across the page saying I could only have a guaranteed cabin.

The second point you are wrong on is that when you take off the OBC, it brings you down to the saver fare. I've never had that on any cruise and I've done a few. I got close once, but the gap is growing. If that was the case, they'd never need saver fares. You are right about the rest though. It is indeed down to good sales that the saver fares are few and not great value.

But let me just clarify something, just for the snobs we have talking about Aldis and M&S, and those suggesting I go at a cheaper time. I can afford to go exactly when I like, but I am choosing not to pay 20% more than this year....this last cruise was about 10-15% more than the same one the year before this. Just because I take that stance and I use it as a debating point in a thread, doesn't invalidate my argument about P&O taking the p*ss. Now.....if you are saying that no matter what, I will pay it, you either have more money than sense or you're gullible. If it's the latter, I have some rocking horse dung to sell you for my garden.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No I am not wrong you have not read what was written. On all cruises you can select your cabin if you book early enough. However there is a cutoff point on bookings when they go to guarantee. Now this has always been the case as far as I know in my cruising experience.

Secondly you clearly do not follow the prices as I do and for most cruises it is not worth going to saver as the difference is so small. You may be correct that in the past that was the case but it is now.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

No I am not wrong you have not read what was written. On all cruises you can select your cabin if you book early enough. However there is a cutoff point on bookings when they go to guarantee. Now this has always been the case as far as I know in my cruising experience.

Secondly you clearly do not follow the prices as I do and for most cruises it is not worth going to saver as the difference is so small. You may be correct that in the past that was the case but it is now.

On my cruise between the 4th and 18th Feb, I went online after visiting the cruise desk, a full 12 months before the cruise and it would only give me a guaranteed cabin. That's my example, but there's a thread on here somewhere with people giving many examples.

As an example of the above I have looked at a few cruises in the Autumn and found the difference between Select and Saver once you added in the OBC was between £75 and £150 I was looking at balcony cabins. Of course if you had of booked on day one last April they would have been considerably cheaper than they are now.

We got a total of £500 OBC on this cruise. Next year, we were offered a total of £700, but the cruise was £1200 more expensive. No matter how you look at this, that's a hell of a price hike in a single year. P&O are there to make a profit for their shareholders, so good luck to them for making money whilst they can. And yes, I know I have the choice to take it or leave it. But this forum has the word 'critic' in its title, so I'm here being critical of that strategy. That's what forums are for. It will be interesting when Branson comes in, if he chooses to discount cruises in the first year, to build the brand. One thing Virgin (the airline at least) excel at is customer service.

Not the same as my experience when comparing cruises for next year, but each to their own.We're very happy with what we've paid and very, very happy with our obc. It's an easy decision for you ChrisPBacon - don't cruise with P&O again and enjoy the bargains on other lines. If I felt like you I would definitely be looking elsewhere. Good luck

Not the same as my experience when comparing cruises for next year, but each to their own.We're very happy with what we've paid and very, very happy with our obc. It's an easy decision for you ChrisPBacon - don't cruise with P&O again and enjoy the bargains on other lines. If I felt like you I would definitely be looking elsewhere. Good luck

Think I'll have a break from cruising tbh. Done two a year for a few years now. Maybe I'll come back one day with a new appetite for it? [emoji3]

On my cruise between the 4th and 18th Feb, I went online after visiting the cruise desk, a full 12 months before the cruise and it would only give me a guaranteed cabin. That's my example, but there's a thread on here somewhere with people giving many examples.

In that case the limit must have been reached. It is not a time limit it is a number of cabins sold limit. Shows it is a popular cruise. This is backed up by the high prices as already mentioned above. Remember these cruise next Feb have been on sale now for 10 month. Many people are booking early to get the better prices and if your experience is common they will book early to get a choice of cabin.

In that case the limit must have been reached. It is not a time limit it is a number of cabins sold limit. Shows it is a popular cruise. This is backed up by the high prices as already mentioned above. Remember these cruise next Feb have been on sale now for 10 month. Many people are booking early to get the better prices and if your experience is common they will book early to get a choice of cabin.

In which case, that particular holiday shouldn't be offered at a Select price, when, as you go through to book, it still says that you can pick your cabin. I accept that if I book a saver fare, I get what I'm given. P&O want to have their cake and eat it.

In which case, that particular holiday shouldn't be offered at a Select price, when, as you go through to book, it still says that you can pick your cabin. I accept that if I book a saver fare, I get what I'm given. P&O want to have their cake and eat it.

What you mean is it should not go to saver. I did notice that non of the cruises around that time had any saver fares. If it is not going to select what should it be? And don't forget I did say that this has been the practice for at least 15 years. They are not doing anything new.

Not sure where you got the prices but checking a major on line TA I found that Eclipse cruise only prices are similar to P&O fly cruises, but £1000pp more for fly cruises.

There are many Caribbean cruise only prices which are up to £1000pp less than P&O, but not sure I agree that flights to Florida, Dom. Rep or Puerto Rico can be had for only £850 per couple.

If you're *careful* about it and go on the right dates to nag a deal you could probably get return flights to Florida for £850 return for two people. Definitely not possible to travel to Dominican Republic or Puerto Rico on that budget though.

Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not sure where you got the prices but checking a major on line TA I found that Eclipse cruise only prices are similar to P&O fly cruises, but £1000pp more for fly cruises.

There are many Caribbean cruise only prices which are up to £1000pp less than P&O, but not sure I agree that flights to Florida, Dom. Rep or Puerto Rico can be had for only £850 per couple.

You need to research a little more, I can't quote the sources on this site for best cruise prices.

As for flights which you are unsure are available for £850 - well we are off to join the Eclipse on Friday. The flights cost £776 for my wife and I, LHR to MIA - still available today but price has dropped to £736 - check Skyscanner.

Also some posters suggest PO Cruises are in the premier league, suggest they check the Cruise Critics 2017 UK Cruise Awards where Celebrity top most categories and PO are no where to be seen.

Edited by mickey89

What you mean is it should not go to saver. I did notice that non of the cruises around that time had any saver fares. If it is not going to select what should it be? And don't forget I did say that this has been the practice for at least 15 years. They are not doing anything new.

No but what is new is the select fares and the benefits they are supposed to provide above those of saver fares.

Which is where I tend to agree with Crispy, P&O should no longer be offering select fares if they do not allow you to choose your cabin, or any of the other perks they offer.

Once a cruise is so full that only unfancied cabins are left, then if P&O can only offer a guarantee they should remove select fares and only offer saver fares.

However I think that Crispy's price increase complaint is probably mainly a result of Brexit devaluation and the resultant Sterling price increases that US currency based lines will now need to apply. Since P&O is owned by Carnival then corporate policy will be to increase all Sterling prices of all lines at the level of devaluation against the dollar, even if this means that P&O prices are increasing ahead of their own inflation costs.

We will have an idea of what impact this is going to have on base prices on March 13th when the winter schedule for 2018/19 goes on sale.

But John full price/select fares have always gone to guarantee, nothing new. This is the problem you have if you book a cruise late. Now a year on does not seem late but if it is a very popular cruise then this is going to happen.

I don't want a four figure obc to spend - I want a more reasonable price for my cruise

I very rarely want a ships excursion and my spend is drink where there is no package and a couple of speciality restaurants. If I get too much obc I am basically spending it for the sake of it on things I don't want. I have often had dinner companions who struggle to spend their obc. If too much obc means the price of the cruise goes up a lot then I don't want it

I have done many cruises over 20 years and never booked early and always got a bargain. Of course I can go at a moments notice and search for a deal.

My recent booking for the Britannia trans Atlantic on 11th March was made last week and cost £1020 for a balcony, non obstructed, with flights from Manchester. I got my cabin yesterday, on 9 Deck almost mid ships, on the "sunny side" I know from experience these type of cruises very rarely sell out and can be had for a bargain. Did the Ventura from Malaga to Barbados two years ago for £779, in a balcony. Booked on the Saturday, sailed on the Thursday !

I can have two cruises booking this way, rather than paying top prices, and have never had a "bad" cabin.

No but what is new is the select fares and the benefits they are supposed to provide above those of saver fares.

Which is where I tend to agree with Crispy, P&O should no longer be offering select fares if they do not allow you to choose your cabin, or any of the other perks they offer.

Once a cruise is so full that only unfancied cabins are left, then if P&O can only offer a guarantee they should remove select fares and only offer saver fares.

However I think that Crispy's price increase complaint is probably mainly a result of Brexit devaluation and the resultant Sterling price increases that US currency based lines will now need to apply. Since P&O is owned by Carnival then corporate policy will be to increase all Sterling prices of all lines at the level of devaluation against the dollar, even if this means that P&O prices are increasing ahead of their own inflation costs.

We will have an idea of what impact this is going to have on base prices on March 13th when the winter schedule for 2018/19 goes on sale.

A rather alarming result of the brexit vote. If Carnival corp want to maintain the dollar equivalent revenue stream from their pound sterling income they have to increase that income. If the pound exchange rate has dropped from $1.50 to $1.25 that implies a 20% increase is needed in the pound revenue. :mad:

They also need a crystal ball to predict the future as the pound might bound back. On the other hand it might fall further. A drop to $1.20 gives a 25% increase and, shock, horror a worst estimate drop to dollar parity would need a 50% increase!.

Of course this effect can apply to any cruise line who has their ultimate profits in a currency which appreciates against the pound. I am thinking of TUI whose Thomson subsidiary charge in pounds but TUI want euros.

But John full price/select fares have always gone to guarantee, nothing new. This is the problem you have if you book a cruise late. Now a year on does not seem late but if it is a very popular cruise then this is going to happen.

Dai, the new select fares only started a little over a year ago and P&O have made a big selling point about the benefits these provide over and above the cheaper saver fares, the major one being to select your actual cabin location and number.

Therefore regardless of what happened in the past they should no longer be marketing select fares when they cannot offer all the benefits in their marketing blurb.

I fully recognise their comes a point when the available cabins no longer suit the needs of a select fare paying passenger, and so should P&O, and these should then be sold as saver guarantees.

I rest my case and hope that you also now agree, but somehow I doubt it.;)

Dai, the new select fares only started a little over a year ago and P&O have made a big selling point about the benefits these provide over and above the cheaper saver fares, the major one being to select your actual cabin location and number.

Therefore regardless of what happened in the past they should no longer be marketing select fares when they cannot offer all the benefits in their marketing blurb.

I fully recognise their comes a point when the available cabins no longer suit the needs of a select fare paying passenger, and so should P&O, and these should then be sold as saver guarantees.

I rest my case and hope that you also now agree, but somehow I doubt it.;)

Of course I do not agree. Select fares have been around for much longer than a year. To me it is up to the TA to point this out. Once again full fares have always gone to guarantee when a cruise has reached a certain level of capacity.

Of course I do not agree. Select fares have been around for much longer than a year. To me it is up to the TA to point this out. Once again full fares have always gone to guarantee when a cruise has reached a certain level of capacity.

Then they should stop selling Select fares at that stage. Take away the OBC, that as we know, doesn't make up for the extra cost of the Select fare. What do you have left as a Select benefit? Shuttles? Only ever used them in Corfu. Choice of dining? When I have been given fixed dining, I've gone straight to the restaurant and changed it.

So tell me.......what's the benefit of booking a Select fare if you can't pick your cabin?

Then they should stop selling Select fares at that stage. Take away the OBC, that as we know, doesn't make up for the extra cost of the Select fare. What do you have left as a Select benefit? Shuttles? Only ever used them in Corfu. Choice of dining? When I have been given fixed dining, I've gone straight to the restaurant and changed it.

So tell me.......what's the benefit of booking a Select fare if you can't pick your cabin?

However you look at OBC it is there and at times can be considerable. Otherwise I never said there was any advantage. But on looking at prices of cruises I noticed that popular ones don't actually go to saver. So whatever the name used that is the price. So would you like it called Select-. It can't be saver if they are offering the car parking or OBC or coach travel.

The simple answer, when one of the two major benefits of Select (OBC and cabin selection) are gone, is to remove the Select fare. Go straight to a saver. But don't keep selling a fare for which one of the main benefits isn't available.

Incidentally, I've never had an OBC that brought the fare down to a saver level, because they are also offering parking, as you say, or a coach. You have to look at all those benefits and see what you need. I don't need them on a Caribbean cruise. So if I can't book a cabin and the OBC doesn't take up the slack between saver and select.....why would I pay for select? The only reason I can think of is to make sure I'm on the cruise.

However you look at OBC it is there and at times can be considerable. Otherwise I never said there was any advantage. But on looking at prices of cruises I noticed that popular ones don't actually go to saver. So whatever the name used that is the price. So would you like it called Select-. It can't be saver if they are offering the car parking or OBC or coach travel.

Sorry Dai I can't here you, that hole your digging for yourself is now much too deep.:D:')