PO Cruises are now too expensive

mickey89

Guess some folk go to Lidi and Aldi and are happy as Larry with their basket. Others prefer Marks and Spencer and Waitrose which is our preferred choice. Of course if cost is an issue go to the supermarket which meets your expectations but don't slag off M&S and Waitrose just because you can't afford to shop there.

Left out[/quote

I can afford to shop at the two premium stores and whilst some goods are "premium" they play about with the recipes to maximise profits. If Aldi and Lidl are only for those who cant afford the prices at M&S and Waitrose, take a look at their car parks and see how many top marque cars you see shopping. Have you ever tried the premium brand wines in Lidl's. Much better than M&S. I bought a bottle of chablis in Aldi for ?16.95, and found exactly the same bottle (year, quality, vineyard etc in Waitrose for ?52. Thats the difference - Profit Margins. The same applies to cruises. Buy a cheaper brand and pay more for the add ons.

Guess some folk go to Lidi and Aldi and are happy as Larry with their basket. Others prefer Marks and Spencer and Waitrose which is our preferred choice. Of course if cost is an issue go to the supermarket which meets your expectations but don't slag off M&S and Waitrose just because you can't afford to shop there.

Left out[/quote

I can afford to shop at the two premium stores and whilst some goods are "premium" they play about with the recipes to maximise profits. If Aldi and Lidl are only for those who cant afford the prices at M&S and Waitrose, take a look at their car parks and see how many top marque cars you see shopping. Have you ever tried the premium brand wines in Lidl's. Much better than M&S. I bought a bottle of chablis in Aldi for ?16.95, and found exactly the same bottle (year, quality, vineyard etc in Waitrose for ?52. Thats the difference - Profit Margins. The same applies to cruises. Buy a cheaper brand and pay more for the add ons.

Hi Dave.

At the risk of going off topic it is hardly fair to compare an M&S car park with a Lidl carpark.

Certainly in my experience the former's car parks are usually ten times larger.

And now I'll come to the on topic point I was going to make.

As this is a dedicated P&O thread can anyone enlighten me why so many anti-P&O posters flock here.

I'm always happy to share my experiences and with over 300 nights onboard P&O ships I'm always happy to share my experiences...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2017/02/17/oceana-35-night-caribbean-round-trip/

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2017/02/24/life-on-board-oceanas-35-night-cruise/

31664954564_03055b7ea6_z.jpg

Hi Dave.

At the risk of going off topic it is hardly fair to compare an M&S car park with a Lidl carpark.

Certainly in my experience the former's car parks are usually ten times larger.

And now I'll come to the on topic point I was going to make.

As this is a dedicated P&O thread can anyone enlighten me why so many anti-P&O posters flock here.

I'm always happy to share my experiences and with over 300 nights onboard P&O ships I'm always happy to share my experiences...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2017/02/17/oceana-35-night-caribbean-round-trip/

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2017/02/24/life-on-board-oceanas-35-night-cruise/

31664954564_03055b7ea6_z.jpg

Yes I have pondered that myself. It seems to really upset some people when they are doing well.

People complain when they sell off cruise cheaply and then, when the prices go up they are complaining again.

It's all a mystery

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Would love to know the answer to that too. It's like the people you meet onboard over dinner who tell you how awful the ship and itinerary are, then tell you about all the cruises they've been on / have booked on P&O

I'm on a 17 day cruise in September. The Select Fare is now ?300pp more than we paid and the Saver Fare is ?200 more than we paid. I am very happy. It also happened on our last cruise. If the cruise is different with new ports, then it will be popular. If you choose Caribbean or Canaries, then there are loads of those and the Saver fare might be good.

You can pick your cabin with a select fare on all cruises.

No Dai, you can't, as I and several others on this forum have found over the last couple of years. We booked Select for our Britannia 2015 Caribbean cruise as soon as it was available in 2014, we got all the Select perks (such as they are) but we could not pick a cabin. I was very angry about this and took P&O to task, but they would not budge and the personal cruise adviser admitted that they oversell and then allocate cabins after the dust has settled.

Also, unless you have very many cruises under your belt, the OBC does not make up for the difference in Select and Saver price, but some of us can't book Saver because of constraints imposed by work and school. We've booked Select for Aurora this summer, but the OBC we got covers about 1 1/2 days' gratuities for the four of us. They were offering increased OBC for outside cabin grades and above on our cruise, but the extra OBC did not even cover the difference between an inside and the lowest grade of outside cabin, so wasn't worth it.

No Dai, you can't, as I and several others on this forum have found over the last couple of years. We booked Select for our Britannia 2015 Caribbean cruise as soon as it was available in 2014, we got all the Select perks (such as they are) but we could not pick a cabin. I was very angry about this and took P&O to task, but they would not budge and the personal cruise adviser admitted that they oversell and then allocate cabins after the dust has settled.

Also, unless you have very many cruises under your belt, the OBC does not make up for the difference in Select and Saver price, but some of us can't book Saver because of constraints imposed by work and school. We've booked Select for Aurora this summer, but the OBC we got covers about 1 1/2 days' gratuities for the four of us. They were offering increased OBC for outside cabin grades and above on our cruise, but the extra OBC did not even cover the difference between an inside and the lowest grade of outside cabin, so wasn't worth it.

Sorry but my comments about the OBC were in relation to bookings today not 3 years ago. They are for cruises being booked now. As I said many popular cruises now do not go to saver as there is no need if they are selling well at the select fare.

The other one I do not understand. If you book on day one of booking then you can always get your cabin. However if you book after that then for some cabins you may have difficulty if it is a school holiday and you are booking a family cabin..

Now if you pre register with P&O you can ask for a cabin by number but they cannot guarantee it as on day one TA's have an hour when their bookings go through first. If the cabin you want is taken then you cannot have it. Likewise higher tier passengers get a couple of days of booking before everyone else and if they take the cabin you want you cannot have it. All of the above only effects very popular cruises and the "bog standard" out of school holiday cruises are easier to book and get what you want.

Is that you Hyacinth?

Anyway, P&O are not the M&S and Waitrose of cruise lines, more like Tesco but aspiring to be Sainsburys.

Left out

Ok so as always on this site there are people who are snobs and clearly you are one of them. We go to most supermarkets and on certain things Aldi can be far superior to M & S and much cheaper (we don't go to Lidl much so can't comment). We do like certain things from M & S but you pay a premium. We accept that.

I see Waitrose and M & S are your supermarket of choice and I would expect that being an experienced cruiser of 97 cruises who only books suites.

However as you have been on so many cruises why are you now looking at a cheaper alternatives than CPS and looking at Parking4cruises? Surely you can afford the extra pittance for the convenience. Or maybe you should look at Aldi or Lidl for your weekly shop so you can afford it.

Left out.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes I have pondered that myself. It seems to really upset some people when they are doing well.

People complain when they sell off cruise cheaply and then, when the prices go up they are complaining again.

It's all a mystery

Would love to know the answer to that too. It's like the people you meet onboard over dinner who tell you how awful the ship and itinerary are, then tell you about all the cruises they've been on / have booked on P&O

I could equally ask why just because this is a P&O thread all posts should be complimentary, and any criticisms are met with vitriolic comments?

Just like Dai I prefer to cruise with P&O because I want UK departures, and they have far more cruises than anyone else. But they are not the best and I would like ro see them improve so that their service begins to match that of Celebrity, which is my favourite cruise line.

This is why I make some of the observations that I do, and if more of their customers were prepared to offer constructive criticism based on their experiences with other lines, then maybe the P & O management would have an incentive to improve.

We left p&o as Caribbean members 4 years ago. Tried seabourn and on a late booking basis £ for £ no comparison. Seabourn every time when comparing the whole cost of the holiday. The experience is on another level.

Just looked at the Seabourn website and they're asking 8 grand per person for a 14 night cruise:eek:

I could equally ask why just because this is a P&O thread all posts should be complimentary, and any criticisms are met with vitriolic comments?

Just like Dai I prefer to cruise with P&O because I want UK departures, and they have far more cruises than anyone else. But they are not the best and I would like ro see them improve so that their service begins to match that of Celebrity, which is my favourite cruise line.

This is why I make some of the observations that I do, and if more of their customers were prepared to offer constructive criticism based on their experiences with other lines, then maybe the P & O management would have an incentive to improve.

If you check my post TJ, it asked why so many anti-P&Oers flock to this board. It is a forum and as such you will get a range of answers. However my comment referred to the fact that there are some people on this site (and it's fair to say it's not only on the P&O boards that this happens) who only post negatively. There are also people who wear rose-coloured spectacles and only post positively. On the other hand there are people like you (and me?) who give more balanced answers. I was referring to people who continue to cruise with P&O but haven't a good word to say about the line

The other one I do not understand. If you book on day one of booking then you can always get your cabin. However if you book after that then for some cabins you may have difficulty if it is a school holiday and you are booking a family cabin..

Yes, it was school holidays but no, it wasn't a family cabin but two insides. Maybe being the loyal and valued P&O customer you are you get different treatment. I can only tell you what my experience was having a measly 3 P&O cruises under my belt so far. :)

I'm slightly reluctant to join this debate as some of the posts are getting a bit personal, which unfortunately tends to happen on forums (not just this one) when some people don't like what someone else says. Great shame.

But.....whilst I don't think it's helpful to be 100% negative or 100% positive, I do believe that these forums are only useful if people give honest feedback, as they see it, and don't get attacked for doing so. Having had a different experience to the poster doesn't make what they say 'wrong'. It just means you have experienced something else. Both views are equally valid.

To return to the original subject, I wish that P&O would simplify their fare structures and abolish on board credit as a booking incentive completely, concentrating instead on sensible and more stable prices. Ideally, I'd like to see a price promise where any subsequent price drops are passed on to those who have already booked, via OBC if it has to be. I believe that some cruise lines adopt this approach already.

I've been succoured into booking yet another cruise this week (5 future cruises now booked) to get the double OBC. What's the bet that when the 'new' prices come out tomorrow, the OBC will have been slashed but the base price of the cruise will have dropped? Perhaps they won't be that brazen initially, but I bet if I look again in a few months time that will be the case.

To return to the original subject, I wish that P&O would simplify their fare structures and abolish on board credit as a booking incentive completely, concentrating instead on sensible and more stable prices. Ideally, I'd like to see a price promise where any subsequent price drops are passed on to those who have already booked, via OBC if it has to be. I believe that some cruise lines adopt this approach already.

That's a great system for early booking passengers and I have benefited from this with Princess.

However I cannot understand their logic in offering to price match, that is unless their experience tells them that only a small percentage actually request it. Otherwise it seems a recipe for minimising profits and going bankrupt, but I'll take it if its offered.

I don't want a four figure obc to spend - I want a more reasonable price for my cruise

I very rarely want a ships excursion and my spend is drink where there is no package and a couple of speciality restaurants. If I get too much obc I am basically spending it for the sake of it on things I don't want. I have often had dinner companions who struggle to spend their obc. If too much obc means the price of the cruise goes up a lot then I don't want it

IMO the price didn't go up as we checked before we sailed. We then bought our new cruise onboard and the obc was one of the perks for us. We LOVE lots of obc particularly as it's a 35 day cruise so we will spend in - no problem :)

I sometimes wonder if people think the prices suddenly jump, when the reality is that the lower grades have sold out so the lowest price becomes that of a slightly higher grade cabin. I know when I was tracking last year that this appeared to be the case, but I don't suppose it is always so.

I tend to book well in advance if I want a 'rare' cruise but if it was a November or a 'common port' cruise I'd risk a last minute - depending on my flexibility. I'd like to think that eventually you get a 'feel' for when to book.

These days I'm less likely to stick with P&O or cruising for that matter, there is nothing quite like feeling the morning dew on the grass as you walk to a caravan site shop in your flip flops to get a pint of milk and a loaf of bread [emoji4]

Like everything in life, you either value the product and buy, or you value it and don't buy.

Either way, your choice, and why having made your personal choice, either way, moan!! or in fact allow anyone else, to moan on your behalf or in fact, tell you that you are wrong

This site is full of I have booked it, but not sure. to late!!

What a waste of time.

That's a great system for early booking passengers and I have benefited from this with Princess.

However I cannot understand their logic in offering to price match, that is unless their experience tells them that only a small percentage actually request it. Otherwise it seems a recipe for minimising profits and going bankrupt, but I'll take it if its offered.

Remember this price matching only happens, in the US because it is the law. If a price changes up to the point where you have to pay the full amount then a cruiser can ask to be given the cheaper deal. Some companies extend this to U.K. Cruisers and those possibly from other countries. The key point is that you have to ask. It is not automatic.

I agree with John there is no logic in a company doing this voluntarily.

Remember this price matching only happens, in the US because it is the law. If a price changes up to the point where you have to pay the full amount then a cruiser can ask to be given the cheaper deal. Some companies extend this to U.K. Cruisers and those possibly from other countries. The key point is that you have to ask. It is not automatic.

I agree with John there is no logic in a company doing this voluntarily.

I can't recall which cruise line it is (Fred Olsen or Saga?) but one UK operator does guarantee that you will benefit from any price change - and they haven't gone bust! So it can be done.

Of course, initial logic says that it would only benefit the customer and cost the cruise line, but I would suggest that there's a bigger picture to consider. Just look at how much heated debate there is on these forums about prices and the confusion that it causes. If every customer considering a P&O cruise knew that they could book as early as they liked and would not benefit from holding off, then ships would fill up quicker, less folk would be inclined to go to other cruise lines, regular cruisers would book more cruises with P&O, there would be no need for two tier (confusing) price structures or the constant up and down, offset by contrasting down and up on board credit, increased loyalty would ensue etc etc etc

It's not necessarily the case that the benefit is all the customers. Sometimes, when something has been revised and revised to within an inch of its life, it's best to start again! If I was the MD of P&O I would try this approach in an experimental form to see what happens. You never know, it might work!

Saga automatically credit you if they offer a cruise at a lower price than the price you paid

I suspect Saga's margins are pretty big so that they can afford that. I realise it's dangerous to make comparisons, but my first cruise was on Saga Sapphire to see the total eclipse off the Faroes. A superior cabin (more like a mini-suite on most lines) cost considerably more even at the 'discount' price than I'm paying for the same length cruise in a Q5 suite on Queen Elizabeth later this year.