HAL switched itinerary with no advance notice!

MisterBill99

I'm on Eurodam (departing today) and happened to look at a TV display up near the library and it was showing the itinerary. I was shocked to see that it had us at Half Moon Cay tomorrow and Key West on Friday! Everything that had been published previously had them in reverse order. I just checked the the documents I printed on Wednesday and it still has the original schedule. The schedule on the Key West port site has been updated, it had been showing us at Balmoral on Sunday but now shows us at Outer Mole (yippee) on Friday. There has been no notification of the change beyond the shore excursion booklet in the cabin having the new schedule and the TV I happened to notice. Fortunately, I had nothing booked on my own in Key West so it won't really affect me, and maybe it will be less busy on Friday than it would be on Sunday. But I don't understand how HAL can just do something like this with no notice. Does it happen often? I've never experienced it on other lines.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

First of all I would question whether or not it's just the type of graphical error. Beyond that, my memory of the cruise contract is that they can indeed change the itinerary with absolutely no notice whatsoever.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

I meant to post the link to the Key West port schedule. It shows us there on Friday. It's not a typo.

http://www.cityofkeywest-fl.gov/egov/documents/1488559218_40129.htm

Update: I checked with a crew member after the muster drill and he confirmed the change and said that it was due to the weather. Apparently there is a storm they are avoiding. So it's a good reason but it seems like they should have notified everyone of the change at check-in

Edited by MisterBill99

But I don't understand how HAL can just do something like this with no notice. Does it happen often? I've never experienced it on other lines.

Any/all cruise lines can do this whenever they want. As you have learned, HAL has been informing the passengers.

We once returned from a day on Grand Cayman (Princess ship) to find the gps map on the TV showing a visit to Jamaica when our purchase itinerary had been to Cozumel.

Turned out that the captain had spent all day on the phone to HQ to make the change. There was a serious storm headed to Coz...but our revised visit to Jamaica was wonderful! 99% were really happy we did that.

Any/all cruise lines can do this whenever they want. As you have learned, HAL has been informing the passengers.

We once returned from a day on Grand Cayman (Princess ship) to find the gps map on the TV showing a visit to Jamaica when our purchase itinerary had been to Cozumel.

Turned out that the captain had spent all day on the phone to HQ to make the change. There was a serious storm headed to Coz...but our revised visit to Jamaica was wonderful! 99% were really happy we did that.

Thank goodness HAL takes care of their passengers. My question is, what about people who book private excursions? It's not like you can give them a phone call and change days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We've skipped ports because of weather, but never have experienced that kind of port swap.

We hsve missed ports bec aused of westher,, NEDED MECHANICAL repairs. port worker strike ( Lisbon) We got an unschedculed over ight due to a sttrike as the port was going to close, If we came in, we wouuld not be able to leav e until next day. DH and I had some great visits to Lisbon so ww were delighted. :) Of c ourse, not everyone wasws w happyy a us buut ships change itgineraries all the t ime and they reserve the right to do TO do SO.

Thank goodness HAL takes care of their passengers. My question is, what about people who book private excursions? It's not like you can give them a phone call and change days.

The option would have been to skip Key West completely, because no one is getting in tomorrow.

Also, there was about a 5 hour window to call the tour operator before leaving Fort Lauderdale today.

The option would have been to skip Key West completely, because no one is getting in tomorrow.

Also, there was about a 5 hour window to call the tour operator before leaving Fort Lauderdale today.

Private tour operators should well know the ship will nott be coming. Most know that is th e risk rhey and and cruisers who b independent tours knowingly ttake. It happens. Either accept it or don't book independendt tours in advance of arrivval.

I meant to post the link to the Key West port schedule. It shows us there on Friday. It's not a typo.

http://www.cityofkeywest-fl.gov/egov/documents/1488559218_40129.htm

Update: I checked with a crew member after the muster drill and he confirmed the change and said that it was due to the weather. Apparently there is a storm they are avoiding. So it's a good reason but it seems like they should have notified everyone of the change at check-in

How do you know they knew at check in? Weather changes constantly.

Be grateful. You are not missing ports because of weather, just a shuffle. Thankfully they can be proactive and avoid it.

We couldn't on our Hawaii, Tahiti, Marquesas tour. After missing two ports + the entire itinerary was changed due to the weather. We were grateful that the captain was proactive and yes, we had private tours. It's not that hard to reach out and see if we can be accommodated or not. The KNOW if the ship has rescheduled.

What am I missing in all of this please?

You have no tours missed. Nothing has gone wrong. And life is good, right?

Actually you can in some cases.

they put first priority on those that booked early and know if he ship has had to change itinerary.

It's an email and you either cancel or see if they can help.

In our case (and we had a number of changes), most could make the changes since they had us reserved and I think in a lot of cases we were the only ship. There were some exceptions of course, but they took care of us as best possible.

If you book a private tour YOU have to be proactive, willing to spend a $ then YOU must reach out to the operator. It's only fair to them too. Most are quite understanding and will either re-schedule or cancel without penalty. But it is up to YOU to take some responsiblity in this regard if internet is co-operating.

What am I missing in all of this please?

You have no tours missed. Nothing has gone wrong. And life is good, right?

This is not a criticism of the OP, but he's very much of a planner. I remember him well from my Live From in December. He was very, very interested in which menu set A/B he would have and how it was lining up with Le Cirque and de Librije.

This is not a criticism of the OP, but he's very much of a planner. I remember him well from my Live From in December. He was very, very interested in which menu set A/B he would have and how it was lining up with Le Cirque and de Librije.

So am I POA1, I organize a lot of private tours and set up stuff for the roll call, but sometimes, you have to roll with the punches and be prepared to be flexible.

It's no fun, but it has to be done. Speaking as someone who has been there and done that on both the Westerdam and the P'dam.

Best laid plans.......

People booking private excursions know up front the risk they are taking. Plus those offering private excursions are pretty aware of what is going on too. It is their business to check and monitor these things.

We have had last minute port changes several times on both HAL and another cruise line, mainly due to high winds and low tides - water level at that time in some ports make them inaccessible if on the smaller ships, even if the tide table is known ahead of time. It is still a best estimate; not a guarantee. Each time there was an alternative offered that made up for the missed port.

Naturally this is all explained up front in the fine print of the cruise documents, which is abstract when we read it. But critical due to the nature of the operation. Always a reminder, this is trip at sea and who knows what she will be up to at any given moment. Particularly if it is tender port, But we have encountered problems at docked ports too - mainly wind issues and swells.

Yes, changes in itinerary are not uncommon. There are many reasons that this happens and we have experienced at least several of them. On HAL and other cruise lines.

My motto, "It's hard to have a bad day on a cruise ship."

Wishing you a wonderful cruise vacation with an abundance of ahhh time. m--

Weather Happens

In 2010 we sailed out of Tampa. First stop for our westeran Caribbean cruise was Key West. Then we were to go to head west. We did not leave at 6 PM as scheduled and I kept looking out the window in the Crow's Nest.

We left at 8 PM.

If you are heading west -- land should be on the starboard side but land was on our port side -- we were headed east.

Shortly after 8 PM the captain came on and announced that due to Hurricane Paula we would be doing an eastern Caribbean cruise. Okay -- so our itinerary and ports changed -- no problem for us. Go with the flow.

I'm on Eurodam (departing today) and happened to look at a TV display up near the library and it was showing the itinerary. I was shocked to see that it had us at Half Moon Cay tomorrow and Key West on Friday! Everything that had been published previously had them in reverse order. I just checked the the documents I printed on Wednesday and it still has the original schedule. The schedule on the Key West port site has been updated, it had been showing us at Balmoral on Sunday but now shows us at Outer Mole (yippee) on Friday. There has been no notification of the change beyond the shore excursion booklet in the cabin having the new schedule and the TV I happened to notice. Fortunately, I had nothing booked on my own in Key West so it won't really affect me, and maybe it will be less busy on Friday than it would be on Sunday. But I don't understand how HAL can just do something like this with no notice. Does it happen often? I've never experienced it on other lines.

Why are you happy about being at the Outer Mole? I would rather be at Pier B -- that way you can walk directly wherever you want to and not have to deal with shuttle buses, trolleys or conch trains to get to town.

The other unexpected changes come when there is a medical emergency on board that may require a midcourse correction too.

I too woke up on our second day of a Mexican Riviera cruise outside of San Diego expecting to look out to sea, but saw land and sunrise instead. We had turned around in the middle of the night while we were asleep and had to head back north in order to be within range of a Coast Guard helicopter who effected the mid-sea evacuation.

The CG helicopter did not have the range to meet us where we would be if we had kept on our planned schedule. Since this was an early cruise in our own history, we learned all prior expectations when cruising are "subject to change".

I'm leery of booking any excursions independently that require a nonrefundable deposit even if the ship doesn't make it to the port. Most tour operators don't. They know that things happen to cruise ships that cause changes to itineraries.

We missed a stop at Princess Cays on one of our Princess cruises due to Hurricane Bertha a couple of summers ago. The captain changed our course to avoid the storm. We are always thankful that captains do things like that to provide a safe cruise.