Did anyone notice? That when the UBP packages came along...

bbnjcruiser

No. because beer is beer and vodka tonic/soda is still the same as well as a jack and coke and martinis etc. if you are referring to other specialty cocktails like the drink of the day etc then I have heard they are using pre-mixed drinks. I did have a few on my cruise in December and didn't notice a difference but I'm a good tipper so maybe they didn't use the pre-mixed stuff for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Came off the Spirit yesterday. Found all the drinks in the drinks package to be excellent. Yes some of the cocktails served at the bar on the deck came in large containers pre mixed. But upstairs in the Galaxy bar and the tiny Champagne bar all the cocktails on the menus we made from scratch. Only real problem, was the same old problem when most of the ship has a "free" drinks package that there was always a lack of drinks waiters. - On our HAL cruise 3 months ago, when very few had a drinks package, the bar staff were falling over themselves to serve us.

Yup. They also used to have a huge wine list, well over 50 wines that you could get by the glass. Now with the UBP the list is much shorter and much lower quality wine. Blue label also used to be $17.50 a glass so when you got it basically was $2.50 a glass. When we sailed again over the summer the same shot was $22.50. Not a big deal but when it is across the board and you are paying extra in cruise fare with dramatically limited options it is a little off putting.

What I noticed is that there has been a huge price increase in cruises ever since they introduced the UBP.

What I noticed is that there has been a huge price increase in cruises ever since they introduced the UBP.

You mean ever since they started including it as a promo? It had been for sale for years before it was included as a promo, and it certainly didn't cause cruise prices to increase then.

You mean ever since they started including it as a promo? It had been for sale for years before it was included as a promo, and it certainly didn't cause cruise prices to increase then.

The price of the UBP has skyrocketed since it was introduced. It was about $49 pppd (maybe even a bit less) - it is now $79 pppd - an increase of about 60%. The drinks prices have risen by a large amount as well.

No changes at all for me.

I still get everything I ask for.

As to the point of the servers walking around I almost always used to get my own at the bar on occasion I used to order things by the pool but that was because I was pestered by the waiters .

So all in all I am very happy they have this as a promo and when I paid for it the price was not that bad.

But if I had to buy the package I would sail another line because the cost is way too expensive.

All drinks I've ever ordered have been very good. I don't order umbrella drinks, though. Dirty martinis, Jack and Coke, Gin and Soda, bourbon on the rocks, etc. This was true on the Breakaway, the Getaway and on the Epic.

I have to agree with the OP. The mixed drinks were incredibly weak and for the most part, tasted like crud when they used the premix stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't see where the OP said anything about weak drinks. I have never experienced that. If anything I feel like they over pour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup. They also used to have a huge wine list, well over 50 wines that you could get by the glass. Now with the UBP the list is much shorter and much lower quality wine. Blue label also used to be $17.50 a glass so when you got it basically was $2.50 a glass. When we sailed again over the summer the same shot was $22.50. Not a big deal but when it is across the board and you are paying extra in cruise fare with dramatically limited options it is a little off putting.

do you or anyone have a wine list or could at least perhaps name some wines they carry? we are big red wine drinkers, love full and heavy reds, hoping for at least a couple selections that don't suck. hmm.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

The premix stuff is terrible....on our last cruise, I ordered a pina colada and it was the worst drink I ever had.....stuck to regular mixed drinks after that....

The very first time we got the UBP (when it first rolled out) there was no 'extra charge' for the gratuities.....but now...$99?? really?? You would have to have about a $500 bar tab to justify $100 in gratuities....If I drank approx $75 in drinks everyday, I wouldn't even remember the cruise....let alone my name or cabin number...lol

Ok ok...$100 is still a good deal for unlimited drinks....but I certainly don't think of it as free....If I didn't have the UBP, my bar tab might be around $250 +/- (and that would still be alot of drinking for me)....

And yes, I agree.....fares have skyrockted lately....not seeing the deals like we used to get...

ps....I did notice that it has gotten increasingly difficult to get a drink with all the ubp now....

AND FOR GOSH SAKES PEOPLE.....TOSS YOUR BARTENDER A FEW EXTRA BUCKS....NOT LIKE THEY SPECIFICALLY ARE SEEING ANY OF THAT $99

The price of the UBP has skyrocketed since it was introduced. It was about $49 pppd (maybe even a bit less) - it is now $79 pppd - an increase of about 60%. The drinks prices have risen by a large amount as well.

Of course. That has nothing to do with my post you quoted though. The poster said the price of cruises has skyrocketed since UBP was introduced. I said that is not true - they went up after it was included as a promo (in some cases), but the cruise prices themselves didn't go up when it was merely for sale.

Of course. That has nothing to do with my post you quoted though. The poster said the price of cruises has skyrocketed since UBP was introduced. I said that is not true - they went up after it was included as a promo (in some cases), but the cruise prices themselves didn't go up when it was merely for sale.

You are right. Prices increased once they introduced the UBP as a promo. I stand corrected.

What sparkling wines and Champagnes are available by the glass for less than fifteen bucks?

If a Champagne is $18 can you pay the $3 difference?

Yes, but it will be more than $18. And depending on the ship and the bar they might not offer any options for champagne by the glass.

There is a prosecco that you can get by the glass, for less than $15. They also use some random sparkling wines like "Duc de Paris" for mimosas etc., but I don't know if you can order just a glass of that. If so, it should also be well under $15.