Out of date Godiva chocolates and drinks

rosebuds

We just decided to enjoy our Godiva chocolates that we received on the Spirit at the end of January. After eating the chocolates I turned over the box to see where they were made, and discovered the chocolates were Best Before NOV 2016.

I just brought this to my husbands attention and he told me that he and my brother were drinking beer on board and noticed the drinks were past their Best Before date. They told the waiter and were advised that they were OK to consume as the date was only advisory (i.e. not Use Before).

I can't say I'm totally shocked given the ongoing cutbacks, but deliberately serving food and drink that has passed it's best?

We just decided to enjoy our Godiva chocolates that we received on the Spirit at the end of January. After eating the chocolates I turned over the box to see where they were made, and discovered the chocolates were Best Before NOV 2016.

I just brought this to my husbands attention and he told me that he and my brother were drinking beer on board and noticed the drinks were past their Best Before date. They told the waiter and were advised that they were OK to consume as the date was only advisory (i.e. not Use Before).

I can't say I'm totally shocked given the ongoing cutbacks, but deliberately serving food and drink that has passed it's best?

Shocked is a bit dramatic IMHO, I am in the food service business and these best buy dates are first of all used for rotational purposes only so when new comes in you know to make sure you use the old first. Chocolate does not go bad if stored properly and even if not sorted property other then melting the only thing that happens is it gets white spots on it, they don't look nice but they taste and are totally edible. Same with the beer, sure beer can get skunked if not stored properly but it takes a long time for beer to go "bad", these dates are for rotational purposes.

Sell by dates are a different story

Secondly

If this had been milk or some other very perishable product, I would be concerned about it being two months past it's prime.

You didn't notice that anything was wrong with these products while you were consuming them, because there was nothing wrong with them.

The "best before" dates mean very little. It's the "sell by" or "use by" dates that would be more concerning.

It would have been different if the "best before" date was a couple of YEARS prior, instead of just a couple of months.

Agreed with most posters, and I also believe that the date that is on beer is the "Born On" date. I could be wrong, but I don't actually think beer has a true expiration date? I'm 99% sure that the dates on beer are the Born On dates.

Hopefully the chocolate still tasted okay, though!

Shocked is a bit dramatic IMHO, I am in the food service business and these best buy dates are first of all used for rotational purposes only so when new comes in you know to make sure you use the old first. Chocolate does not go bad if stored properly and even if not sorted property other then melting the only thing that happens is it gets white spots on it, they don't look nice but they taste and are totally edible. Same with the beer, sure beer can get skunked if not stored properly but it takes a long time for beer to go "bad", these dates are for rotational purposes.

Sell by dates are a different story

Secondly

You are correct. People throw away so much food because they are misinformed about these dates. The only thing that is regulated by date that you should not use, according to the F&D is baby formula.

Agreed with most posters, and I also believe that the date that is on beer is the "Born On" date. I could be wrong, but I don't actually think beer has a true expiration date? I'm 99% sure that the dates on beer are the Born On dates.

Hopefully the chocolate still tasted okay, though!

The ONLY beer company that used "born on" dates was AB. And not many consumers know domestic beers are good or best by 110 days from Brew dates.

Most companies have a very clear date of when the beer should be consumed to taste the best. Now having said that my wife has drank quite a bit of " outdated" beer with no side effects.

I just got off the Epic on Saturday… And reading your thread it dawned on me that I didn't get mine. I'd take those expired ones right now they sound yummy. Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You didn't get any because as of the new Feb 3 Platinum tiers the Godiva chocolates are no longer on the lists.

No Godiva chocolates for any level.

As a huge craft beer drinker, I know that a lot of the craft brewers label their bottles with the date beer was bottled!! Anything that must be drank by a specific date like beer from The Alchemist (in Vermont) comes with a big drink me within 90 days from when it was brewed and canned for it to be fresh label. And these days beers can indeed sit for not just months, but sometimes years without issue if they are stored properly!!!

As for chocolate I have eaten chocolate that has been a year or more past it's sell date that was in my fridge or forgotten in the camping s'mores storage bin and survived, so I don't think they are trying to pass off food that would be dangerous to anyone!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by JennaMae

As noted, best by means just that, but for the most part there's no issue with consuming or serving them within reason. Stores that remove them either have a return agreement or do it for matters of customer perception. In short, no risk, but it 'looks bad'.

As a huge craft beer drinker, I know that a lot of the craft brewers label their bottles with the date beer was bottled!! Anything that must be drank by a specific date like beer from The Alchemist (in Vermont) comes with a big drink me within 90 days from when it was brewed and canned for it to be fresh label. And these days beers can indeed sit for not just months, but sometimes years without issue if they are stored properly!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As for chocolate I have eaten chocolate that has been a year or more past it's sell date that was in my fridge or forgotten in the camping s'mores storage bin and survived, so I don't think they are trying to pass off food that would be dangerous to anyone!!!

Craft beer goes bad quick but that usually means it is flat that is the issue I have with most of them and honestly I do not think some of the company's making them have it down yet it seems like a science experiment .

I have seen large differences in quality from many true micro brewery.

In the bar industry kegs do not last forever the beer gets flat or nasty fairly quick so if its not a big seller I will not drink it on tap cans and bottles last a lot longer they have a different brewing process the yeast in the keg is live. The yeast in the can or bottle is dead in most situations.

Oh well enjoy the beer the larger mass produced beers are usually safer on a ship with 4000 people most of them are rotating domestics even corona or Stella and Guinness would be fine.

"Best before" means just that; it does not mean that after that they should not be used/eaten. I am 73, well after my "Best Before" date, and still am "good for use"!!!!!!

Doesn't mean I would snack on you. Unless there is a zombie apocalypse. And if there were, it would probably be due to NCL's anti-zombie cutbacks.