Security on River Boats?

Priya2

The security on Oceanliners is now pretty good, with ID checks at the dock and as the ship is boarded, and the Xray of bags, and walk through metal detectors.

We are to take our first river cruise (on Viking, in Russia) in September. I read something about passengers having to walk from their boat, through other river boats to get to the shore, due the numbers of boats that must be tied up at any one time.

This has made me wonder, and feel concerned about security. I'd be interested in comments from those who have taken/who take, river cruises.

I think there would be other security concerns besides boarding rafted ships. The ships and crews are much smaller and could easily be overwhelmed by even one determined gunman or suicide bomber. The walking tours represent a vulnerable potential high casualty target as well. Of course, these types of attacks could occur anywhere and we should always be aware of our surroundings even at home.

Hi P,

> I read something about passengers having to walk from their boat, through other river boats to get to the shore,

Sometimes 2 or 3 boats will raft up when the port is crowded.

You will go up to the sundeck, where the crew has installed a walkway. You then cross to the boat next to the dock, go downstairs and exit.

There are always crew members watching.

Ira

You don't always have to go up and over, sometimes you can just go through reception. Again, people are always watching. Also, because of the size of the ship, reception pretty quickly recognizes everyone, and will keep others from wandering through other areas of the ship.

For the OP, since he was discussing Russia, this probably isn't a problem, since there aren't many companies on this route right now.

There was at least one thread last year on river cruise security in Europe, and that certain things were changing. If I remember correctly, you required some kind of card to access the dock. When you raft, everyone from each of the ships will have access to the dock.

At a local travel show, I recently spoke to a Uniworld rep about whether or not they still docked in Paris proper (as opposed to the suburbs, a la Viking) and was told yes they dock near the Eiffel Tower. Then he added that a guard is posted as well, "because, you know.....".

We found the crews to be very observant. When we were rafted, we would walk thru the reception area - out - and onto the next boat. One time we didn't realize the boats were rafted - we walked in and started walking down, what we thought was our hallway to our room, and were stopped by two crew members asking us to confirm the boat name etc We quickly discovered our mistake.

But that being said - when you travel, yes, you consider safety of your destination, how you get there etc If I sat and thought about all the horrible things that could happen in any particular situation, I would never leave my house. Ha! We never felt unsafe or felt that security was lacking on our river cruise, but everyone is different. So obviously, if someone has significant concerns, perhaps River Cruising is not a good option.

Hi P,

>

There are always crew members watching.

Ira

Last summer, we were on the Danube (can't remember where), on a Vantage cruise, and had to go across a Viking Longboat. For old times sake, I wanted to check out the rocking chairs at the front of the Aqauvit lounge.

No one stopped me or questioned me. I had my book with me, and relaxed for a few minutes. For the record, I look and dress like a typical overweight tourist, so I blended in.

Be aware of your surroundings, if you see something that looks off, say something. But enjoy. You're at greater risk driving in rush hour traffic, IMHO.

I just received Uniworld's 2018 worldwide brochure and it has an entire page (#8) on security:

• We keep all outside doors and access to the interior of the ship locked whenever docked. Only guests can access the ship using a key card.
  • All guests and luggage are verified against the mainfest at check-in.
  • All deliveries are thoroughly inspected before being brought onboard.
  • Cameras are present at the entrance of the ship and in public areas, and are monitored by our reception staff.
  • Portable boarding pass scanners are available at the gangway.
  • Guests have 24/7 access to the front desk.
  • Trained security staff are posted at the gangway 24 hours a day.

I just received Uniworld's 2018 worldwide brochure and it has an entire page (#8) on security:

• We keep all outside doors and access to the interior of the ship locked whenever docked. Only guests can access the ship using a key card.
  • All guests and luggage are verified against the mainfest at check-in.
  • All deliveries are thoroughly inspected before being brought onboard.
  • Cameras are present at the entrance of the ship and in public areas, and are monitored by our reception staff.
  • Portable boarding pass scanners are available at the gangway.
  • Guests have 24/7 access to the front desk.
  • Trained security staff are posted at the gangway 24 hours a day.

Thanks for this. Good to read that company is taking things seriously and doing their best to minimise risk. I guess Viking and the other big companies will be tightening-up too. I will email them and come back and post their response.

I guess Viking and the other big companies will be tightening-up too. I will email them and come back and post their response.

Don't be too surprised if you get vague or non-specific responses, providing a list of security measures is not actually the best way to approach security...

Don't be too surprised if you get vague or non-specific responses, providing a list of security measures is not actually the best way to approach security...
That did occur to me as I was composing the email! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Correct, the actual systemic process required to secure a vessel and its travelers (onboard and during land tours) has yet to be fully embraced by tour operators. Some river operators are taking partial steps. We monitor these threat levels, as any responsible operator should, as precautionary oversight allows for changes as needed in port, tours and en route.

You are guided through rafting boats and nowhere near the passenger rooms. The ships are quite narrow so there is t much opportunity to deviate. The crews get to know their passengers very quickly. I never felt any concern about security when rafted.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

In my opinion most of the "security screening" on ocean ships is to enforce the no-alcohol policy rather than to keep passengers safe. I much prefer the informal atmosphere of river ships and have never felt unsafe.

In my opinion most of the "security screening" on ocean ships is to enforce the no-alcohol policy rather than to keep passengers safe. I much prefer the informal atmosphere of river ships and have never felt unsafe.

The ports we have been to with Celebrity in the last couple of years, security has clearly been about more than that.

The ports we have been to with Celebrity in the last couple of years, security has clearly been about more than that.

Passengers bringing back weapons, explosives, or incendiaries? Unauthorized people attempting to board the ship?

We did a Russian river cruise last September. We did feel security was adequate. I would be more concerned while touring Moscow and St. Petersburg now rather than while aboard the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We just got off the Viking Baldur from the Tulips & Windmills cruise. Viking has increased their security from previous cruises. Entry doors are now locked at night, as well as guard posted.

As far as rafting, we did have to cross another Viking boat one day, but staff were there watching who was coming / going. I saw them confirm with a passenger as to which boat they were accessing.