2017 US Passport Renewal

lj77346

:D For those who need to renew their passports this year, I don't know if we were just lucky, but we received our new passports 16 days after we mailed the old ones to the office that processes the renewals. We used the regular renewal service and sent our passports out on February 21 and received the new passports in the mail on March 9. We hope that others get the same surprisingly good service that we did. Cheers!

:D For those who need to renew their passports this year, I don't know if we were just lucky, but we received our new passports 16 days after we mailed the old ones to the office that processes the renewals. We used the regular renewal service and sent our passports out on February 21 and received the new passports in the mail on March 9. We hope that others get the same surprisingly good service that we did. Cheers!

Wife just did hers, it was about the same time only a couple of weeks.

Don't expect the quick turnaround time, I sent mine out on January 31st and did not receive the renewed passport until March 1st. I would leave at least six weeks prior to travel date to be sure your passport is returned in time.

Good for you!

Sooner than Later

There are major budget cuts proposed for the US State Department. Whether these cuts will affect passport processing is unknown, so following the adage of Better to be Safe than Sorry, I'd renew asap for passports expiring this year.

We renewed at the end of January for passports expiring in Sept. & Oct., and had a very quick turnaround. Happy to have our new ones in hand!

I need a recommendation. X requires a passenger's passport to be valid for 6 months from end of cruise. Our cruise ends 12/8/17. My passports expires 3/20/18. We sail the end of Nov 2017. My dilemma...when do I renew. I don't want to waste many months of a valid passport, but want to have the new one in hand in time to sail. There are predictions of long wait times for passport renewals later this year caused by a confluence of occurrences. What's the latest you would apply for renewal to be assured of having it on hand for sailing right after Thanksgiving?

I need a recommendation. X requires a passenger's passport to be valid for 6 months from end of cruise. Our cruise ends 12/8/17. My passports expires 3/20/18. We sail the end of Nov 2017. My dilemma...when do I renew. I don't want to waste many months of a valid passport, but want to have the new one in hand in time to sail. There are predictions of long wait times for passport renewals later this year caused by a confluence of occurrences. What's the latest you would apply for renewal to be assured of having it on hand for sailing right after Thanksgiving?

X doesn't require, it recommends. I just got off the Summit Feb 27th. My Passport expires in July 2017. Not a word was said. All was fine. I actually didn't realize it was expiring this year. I just packed them and looked later. I thought it was 2018, at least you are looking. :) I don't think you are wasting the 4 months. I would do it now. But that's me. I have enough to worry about without creating more, if I can make it easier on myself, I do. Just my 2 cents on the subject.

Passport renewals are $110 and are valid for 120 months. The cost per month is @92 CENTS.

Hard to predict turnaround times for later this year, perhaps July latest to have by end of November for sure?

Passport renewals are $110 and are valid for 120 months. The cost per month is @92 CENTS.

Hard to predict turnaround times for later this year, perhaps July latest to have by end of November for sure?

Duh! When you put it that way I guess it was really a dumb question 😄I guess I'll do it now. Thanks for the perspective.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

X doesn't require, it recommends. I just got off the Summit Feb 27th. My Passport expires in July 2017. Not a word was said. All was fine. I actually didn't realize it was expiring this year. I just packed them and looked later. I thought it was 2018, at least you are looking. :) I don't think you are wasting the 4 months. I would do it now. But that's me. I have enough to worry about without creating more, if I can make it easier on myself, I do. Just my 2 cents on the subject.

X recommends based on the countries' entry requirements. Most require the 6 month with some requiring a year. That's in case something happens and you end up having to stay longer than you anticipated. We renewed my husband's because we didn't want to chance it. We paid the expedited fee and got it within 2 weeks (can't exactly remember but it was fast).

It costs about $110 to renew a passport? Over a ten year period that comes to less than $1 per month. Why on earth would you risk not getting your renewed passport in time because you want to use every pre-paid month?

I would not wait past July 1.

Duh! When you put it that way I guess it was really a dumb question 😄I guess I'll do it now. Thanks for the perspective.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Don't feel bad. I had the exact same thoughts as you did!:)

OK, ours expire this August, I'll go ahead and start the process of renewing them.

We got ours back in two and a half weeks regular service from the time we mailed it. Supporting documents came back a few days later. The passports came from Philadelphia and the other documents cam back from I think New Hampshire. Seems a little odd but it is the government. I once had to get a visa for Mexico and had to renew the passport even though I had 2 years since the visa would possibly be for longer than that (it was). The consulate gave me a letter and I went to the NY Passport Office and got the renewal in about an hour.

X recommends based on the countries' entry requirements. Most require the 6 month with some requiring a year. That's in case something happens and you end up having to stay longer than you anticipated. We renewed my husband's because we didn't want to chance it. We paid the expedited fee and got it within 2 weeks (can't exactly remember but it was fast).

Good point about the possibility of staying longer, although that's probably more an exception. We were traveling thru the Caribbean and probably easier entry than European cruising for example.

Interesting thread and it seems there are some fast returns. I sent mine on Feb 24 so maybe I will receive it this week....

I don't need it until next year but I actually thought I it was valid for another year - good thing I checked!

So where is a good place to get the photo taken? I've heard they are particular. Someone I know got their application returned because the photo didn't meet 'specifications'. It was taken at a place that advertised they did passport photos. I don't want that kind of delay with my renewal application. Any recommendations?