$7.95 Room Service Charge

Its like a game of chicken between the passengers and cruise line to see who blinks first.
Except it isn't. What may seem like the cruise line playing a game, and making changes as if they were wild guesses, is actually the result of hardcore market research and a comprehensive understanding of consumer price sensitivity. We consumers are so transparent. We tip our hand. You can chart the reaction to each price increase and predict with remarkably chilling accuracy at precisely what point the negative reaction in terms of number of sales would start outweighing the positive impact on revenue from increasing the prices paid.

People have been saying, "Eventually they'll go too far," for the entire decade plus I've been here, and have been saying the same thing on travel forums and other consumer-oriented forums going back to the USENET days. Why doesn't it actually ever happen? Because market research ensures that it never gets to that point. Now, to be fair, market research in the 1970s and 1980s was juvenile compared to what they have today. With as much as they know now, know about us, know about the market, know about the economy, and the modern, 21st century power of how they can use data to their advantage, the few examples of failures that we could dredge up from last century are simply not going to recur.

The only thing that can break the system they have in place now is economic conditions within which consumers are unwilling to pay enough to cover costs (and we saw a little of that back in 2009) or otherwise other investments become more attractive uses for available capital. We saw Netflix go through an analogous transition, when it, almost deliberately, severely damaged their DVD distribution business in the interest of redirecting their available capital into building a streaming infrastructure. I cannot imagine RCL or CCL or any of the others hitting on such an opportunity, but maybe they could, yet it still wouldn't be consumer reaction to increasing prices driving things.

So now that they have this power, what are they doing with it? This:

The cruising industry as a whole is expected to go from 25 M passengers today to 38 M in 10 years.

I'm sorry, but as an attorney when someone quotes a federal statue I simply assume they intend to take legal action. I was providing you advice for free that I would normally charge to provide.

Listen, I hate the change. I have a cruise in just a few weeks so I am caught with this change. This was just badly executed. The proper way to do this was to implement this on all future bookings. I feel like Charlie on the MTA looking for my nickel. It is not hyperbolic to worry that if I were to travel with RC again, they could add a fee for the MDR, or to use the flowrider / rock wall / kids club, after I am paid in full. Again, adding such a fee is their prerogative, just like choosing to sail with RC or another line is mine, but doing it on completed bookings that were told there would be no fee for the service makes me lose trust in the management and will possibly cause me to spend my vacation $ elsewhere.

Making the change on future bookings, or at least only on people that have not paid in full would be far more fair. It’s smart from a customer service point of view since I would not be upset if the rule was in place when I decided to book. It’s smart from a management point of view, since it lets them gauge the impact it has on bookings. This single decision has soured my view RC, for the above stated reasons. Let’s just hope they do not start charging an exit fare while I am on the cruise and demand more $ to get off. Sing with me… “Did he ever return? No he never returned. And his fate is still unlearn'd”

That being said, the contract I signed gives me limited (but not no) rights. There are state law that RC either did not consider, or more likely, assume will be utilized with such infrequency that it does not matter. On my cruise, I will like order RS a few times. When I am back, I may make a strongly worded request that they refund my fees. my guess is they will figure it's worth $25 to not deal with me. we will see.

I envy Charlie. I wish they wouldn't let me off that ship.

Did she ever return...no, she never returned...;p

Is this already in effect or does it take effect on a specific day?

It takes effect on different days for different ships. It's supposed to be fleetwide by the end of May I believe.

If you check out the board from pretty much any of the mainstream cruise lines you will find people complaining about "cutbacks" or some change they don't like which is making them swear off that line...

Eventually there is just no where else to go. Except not go.

I'm sticking to Premium lines for now - and advising my cruise customers to do the same. Many other travel agents are also doing the same.

Here's an example:

Empress of the Seas (Nov 6, 6 day sailing Havana overnight) in the very smallest closet room (interior Q) = $1816

add gratuities for 2 = $168, add drink package $55 per person

total = $3415

Oceania Sirena (Sept 16, 2018 8 day sailing) in interior 170sf.

Superior itinerary... Havana overnight,Cienfuegos,Santiago as a true Cuba circumnavigation cruise

all inclusive price without air , Grats are included (current TA promo) + drink package free with "Olife choice" promo

total = $3548

This is an apples to apples comparison:

RCL Empress = $3415

Oceania Sirena = $3548

But wait.... for the $130 more:

• Oceania is 8 days (not 6)
  • Room service is free
  • specialty restaurants are free
  • chocolates on pillow every night is free
  • internet is free
  • unlimited soft drinks/bottled water/specialty coffees/teas/juices are free
  • traditional afternoon tea event is free
  • luxury is free
  • and no formal attire as the entire ship is "Country Club Casual" every night

Problems solved

I'm sorry, but as an attorney when someone quotes a federal statue I simply assume they intend to take legal action. I was providing you advice for free that I would normally charge to provide.

Was this just a typo, or are you really an attorney? The word is federal Statute.

RCL Empress = $3415

Oceania Sirena = $3548

though somewhat cherry picked - probably quite different on other itineraries.

Biker, who doesn't see Empress prices staying that high long term.

The proposed rollout schedule is as follows:

• Serenade of the Seas 3/27/2017
  • Brilliance of the Seas 3/30/2017
  • Majesty of the Seas 3/31/2017
  • Navigator of the Seas 3/31/2017
  • Enchantment of the Seas 3/31/2017
  • Empress of the Seas 4/1/2017
  • Rhapsody of the Seas 4/1/2017
  • Freedom of the Seas 4/1/2017
  • Harmony of the Seas 4/1/2017
  • Liberty of the Seas 4/2/2017
  • Oasis of the Seas 4/2/2017
  • Allure of the Seas 4/2/2017
  • Anthem of the Seas 4/2/2017
  • Independence of the Seas 4/3/2017
  • Grandeur of the Seas 4/8/2017
  • Adventure of the Seas 4/9/2017
  • Jewel of the Seas 4/10/2017
  • Radiance of the Seas 5/5/2017
  • Explorer of the Seas 5/9/2017
  • Vision of the Seas 5/10/2017
  • Ovation of the Seas 5/16/2017
  • Mariner of the Seas 5/26/2017
  • Voyager of the Seas 5/26/2017

though somewhat cherry picked - probably quite different on other itineraries.

Unfortunately not.:( Per diem on all Empress Cuba sailings are more .. if you have time try a longer 12-14 day comparable for other sailings in other areas . . .I think you may be surprised.

Unfortunately not.:( Per diem on all Empress Cuba sailings are more .. if you have time try a longer 12-14 day comparable for other sailings in other areas . . .I think you may be surprised.

I meant compare something outside of Cuba sailings - whose high prices on RCI (and others) are very likely temporary. Spring of 2018, Navigator or Serenade do 9 or 10 night sailings at less than $1500pp for a balcony - the cheapest balcony on the Sirena is $2600pp for a 9 night Miami round trip. RCI has little comparable to Sirena or many of the other "premium" lines in terms of itineraries so it's hard to compare.

Yes, if you want free room service (and many other perks), this year sailing to Cuba, you could do much better than Empress.

Here's an example:

Empress of the Seas (Nov 6, 6 day sailing Havana overnight) in the very smallest closet room (interior Q) = $1816

add gratuities for 2 = $168, add drink package $55 per person

total = $3415

Oceania Sirena (Sept 16, 2018 8 day sailing) in interior 170sf.

Superior itinerary... Havana overnight,Cienfuegos,Santiago as a true Cuba circumnavigation cruise

all inclusive price without air , Grats are included (current TA promo) + drink package free with "Olife choice" promo

total = $3548

RCL Empress = $3415

Oceania Sirena = $3548

But wait.... for the $130 more:

• Oceania is 8 days (not 6)
  • Room service is free
  • specialty restaurants are free
  • chocolates on pillow every night is free
  • internet is free
  • unlimited soft drinks/bottled water/specialty coffees/teas/juices are free
  • traditional afternoon tea event is free
  • luxury is free
  • and no formal attire as the entire ship is "Country Club Casual" every night

Problems solved

Yup. The Deluxe Lines (Azamara and Oceania) are looking better and better every day.

I meant compare something outside of Cuba sailings - whose high prices on RCI (and others) are very likely temporary. Spring of 2018, Navigator or Serenade do 9 or 10 night sailings at less than $1500pp for a balcony - the cheapest balcony on the Sirena is $2600pp for a 9 night Miami round trip.

Yep, I understand... I will use your above example so that it doesn't look like I'm trying to make a point with my own data...

RCI = $1500pp, 9 day drink package = $584, 9 days gratuities = $126

total RCI = $2210pp

now add specialty restaurants/dining package charges, room service charges, complaints of lack of service/"cafeteria quality" WJ food/so many other daily complaints on this board and so on

total Sirena = $2600pp, incl drink package & free grats

specialty dining free, room service free 24/7, 6-star service and some great itineraries.

Yep, I understand... I will use your above example so that it doesn't look like I'm trying to make a point with my own data...

RCI = $1500pp, 9 day drink package = $584, 9 days gratuities = $126

total RCI = $2210pp

now add specialty restaurants/dining package charges, room service charges, complaints of lack of service/"cafeteria quality" WJ food/so many other daily complaints on this board and so on

total Sirena = $2600pp, incl drink package & free grats

specialty dining free, room service free 24/7, 6-star service and some great itineraries.

Got it - yes, IF you were to get all those on RCI, then it would be comparable in price, but not quality, agree.

Biker, who would opt for RCI only at 2/3 of current rate on the above example and skip all optional up charges, well, maybe, except room service.