Upgrading Drink Package - Any benefit to upgrading before the cruise?

ac110

We have the comped classic beverage package included in our deal.

However, I'm thinking about upgrading to the premium.

Is it any cheaper to do it ahead of time, or is it the same price if I wait until we're on the ship?

(Note that I'm in Canada, and we've learned that paying certain things ahead of time we pay the same dollar amount in CA$, saving the exchange, I'm not sure if that comes into play on this one.)

You can go to your booking and add it to see if the price is better for you ahead. It will be charged as $11.80 pp pd USD on the ship.

If you have OBC you can use it to pay towards the upgrade if you wait till you get on the ship.

I'm waiting till I get on the ship to upgrade for 2 reasons (but I'm paying USD either way so that doesn't come into it for mine). 1. My sailing is 6 port days followed by 5 sea days so I may try the classic for some of the port days and then upgrade at the prorated rate for the sea days, and 2. Either way you are paying $1.80 pp pd in gratuity and my understanding is that if you pay ahead it goes into a general tip pool whereas if you upgrade on the ship the tip goes to the bartender you upgrade w; I'd prefer the tip go to a specific person

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I usually look for a bartender who has good service I like before upgrading because they get to keep the gratuity of the upgrade. I ask them if they get anything, even though I know they do, if I upgrade to Premium through them before I actually upgrade. I've found it gets me better service after that with him/her.

I usually look for a bartender who has good service I like before upgrading because they get to keep the gratuity of the upgrade. I ask them if they get anything, even though I know they do, if I upgrade to Premium through them before I actually upgrade. I've found it gets me better service after that with him/her.

I second ChucktownSteve's approach. And as jelayne says, you can use OBC to upgrade while on board, but you can't use it prior to boarding.

I agree with ChucktownSteve, unless there is an exchange reason (for my next cruise there isn't) I usually upgrade with a bartender or my dining room Sommelier. Not only do they get credit for the sal you'll find they remember and give you great service.

And as Sanger727 says, waiting until you board can also mean you can possibly delay your purchase for a couple days. Depending on the itinerary we've waited for a couple days until we got tired of the classic options then upgraded.

On my last cruise, I was having a candid conversation with my favorite bartender who I had on another cruise as well. He told me that now waiters oversell the upgrade when you first get on the ship to get the commission then once they get it, their service falls off.

I observed one server in the Buffet walking around aimlessly with an empty tray for quite some time not taking any orders but trying to look busy. Other times I saw several clustered around the bar area in the evening; chatting away and not caring to serve people in the buffet.

Does anyone have any experience lately with "deals" or discounts on upgrading ? We are a group of six, and two of us are Elite - if that even helps ...

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Sorry, probably a silly question but why pay an additional $11 pppd to upgrade from classic to premium? Have I missed something? I thought that most bottled beers and spirits were on the classic list as well as wine by the glass and a discount on the purchase of bottles?

Sorry, probably a silly question but why pay an additional $11 pppd to upgrade from classic to premium? Have I missed something? I thought that most bottled beers and spirits were on the classic list as well as wine by the glass and a discount on the purchase of bottles?

It's simple. If you enjoy drinking the brands on the classic package, there's NO reason to upgrade. It's mid range vs. top shelf. For the price difference I personally prefer to be able to drink the brands I favor so the upgrade is worth it to me.

In addition to top shelf brands ( not a biggie for me) the large Martinis at the Martini Bar, drinks at the World Class Bar and decent sparkling wine are not covered by the Classic package. The wine selection on the Classis is rather limited also.

All depends on your taste and wallet. For me, the Classic is fine - but I understand why others may wish to pay extra for the Premium. For example, I enjoy a Tanqueray martini, but others may wish to pay extra for a Tanqueray Ten. Some beer drinkers may be satisfied with run-of-the-mill standard brands, while others may wish to experience a variety of micro-brewery selections.

My recommendation, if someone is on the fence, is to give the Classic a chance - if not satisfied, you can upgrade to Premium anytime before something like three days before the end of the cruise - and you then pay the same daily upgrade fee for just those days that you have the upgrade.

If you wait to upgrade while on the ship, not only can you use your OBC, but you don't get charged taxes (see below). If you upgrade at home prior to the cruise, you'll be charged tax.

You have to wait for the ship to be in international waters, or just talk to the bartender and ask him to make sure he doesn't charge it until after the ship leaves port....most do it on the handwritten receipts and those don't get charged to your account until much later at night, which avoids the stateside taxes.

I didn't realize the classic package included the bottled water and the coffees!!

I like the Martini's though....

Here is the list- copy and past in your browser. or go to Celebritycruises.com and look for the beverage packages

https://secure.celebritycruises.com/celebrity/media/celebrity/shared_assets/pdf/Classic-Premium-Bev-Pckgs.pdf

Edited by cruisebunny32

If you wait to upgrade while on the ship, not only can you use your OBC, but you don't get charged taxes (see below). If you upgrade at home prior to the cruise, you'll be charged tax.

You have to wait for the ship to be in international waters, or just talk to the bartender and ask him to make sure he doesn't charge it until after the ship leaves port....most do it on the handwritten receipts and those don't get charged to your account until much later at night, which avoids the stateside taxes.

While the sales tax is a good point, it's not as simple as that. Some ports make the ship charge local sales tax and others don't. Sailing out of Ft Lauderdale once, I was charged but there were table tents on the bar and tables explaining the tax would be charged. Or you can ask before ordering. The sales tax will be charged on individual drinks as well.

In Europe, the worst place they charge VAT is Spain. If you embark & disembark in Spanish territory, you'll pay the VAT on everything purchased on board...and it's hefty.

If you don't only include Spanish territory and visit a non EU port, then you'll only be charged the VAT while in Spanish territory.

There are other nuances but that's good for a beginning overview.

Another reason to upgrade in advance.......you will get a cruise card with 'PALL' printed on it rather than a 'PP' sticker put on the card which tends to wear off from use (or overuse in my case!).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Another reason to upgrade in advance.......you will get a cruise card with 'PALL' printed on it rather than a 'PP' sticker put on the card which tends to wear off from use (or overuse in my case!).

If your card doesn't work or you lose it, the replacement card has it printed on. We make the mistake of putting it n the same pocket as an iPhone and it demagnetises so we have to get it replaced.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If your card doesn't work or you lose it, the replacement card has it printed on. We make the mistake of putting it n the same pocket as an iPhone and it demagnetises so we have to get it replaced.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Oh, a good idea.........thanks.