Last minute questions

clebe

We are going on our first P&O cruise onboard the Ventura in a few weeks and we're very excited, but wondered if any of you who've travelled P&O before could help us out on a few questions.

What's the official line on taking your own alcohol onboard? We're only looking at a bottle of wine or two, is that alright? What about taking our own soft drinks?

For the formal night, my husband's smartest suit is light grey. Will this be acceptable, or is he best in a dark one? Will he stand out like a sore thumb?

After embarkation, before we get our luggage, any tips on what is good to do? We've only cruised with the kids before so always took this opportunity to register at kid's clubs or use the pools while they were quiet, but it's just the two of us this time.

Thank you! :)

hi

You are fine to take any drinks but there is a £15 corkage charge if you take them into the restaurants. For formal nights, (as opposed to semi formal, evening casual or whatever else they want to call it) I believe gentlemen are still expected to wear black tie. Happy to be corrected.

When you board lunch is normally served on Lido deck by the pool, there is usually some live music. You can wander around and find your bearings or sunbathe if the weather is good.

Regards

Cathy

Whilst the majority of men wear tuxedos or Dinner Jackets on formal nights the P&O regulations permit wearing a Dark Suit. In practice where people wear a suit it is in my opinion better to have a bow tie with it. A Black Suit and Black business tie will make a gentleman appear tp be attending a funeral so that combo is to be avoided. A light coloured suit, although not officially recommended, will however, in my opinion be OK as it is still a suit, however, the transition between light and dark is difficult to define exactly!

Regards John

Yes if you are concerned about "standing out" a light suite may not be for you. On most cruises 95% of men will wear a DJ. And 4% a dark suit.

If you re not bothered as some aren't then you will be fine. Personally it would not bother me if I did not have a DJ.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

You can take a reasonable amount of alcohol on board with you, providing it's for use in your own cabin. We took a litre of vodka + mixers as well as 4 bottles of Prosecco and I know people who took a lot more.

P&O stipulates that you should wear black tie or a dark suit so a light suit doesn't strictly conform to the dress code but nobody will stop you if you are wearing one. Most men usually wear DJs and my OH is the type that likes to blend in so he wouldn't wear a light suit. Our first cruise was on Celebrity and he hired a DJ etc onboard and he was very glad be did. We thought we'd only ever cruise once but like everybody else we caught the bug so he quickly bought his own.

Thank you for replies! I think we'll take both suits anyway as we like to dress up for dinner even anyway, but probably use the darker one for formal night. The last cruise we went on (Disney) only the minority wore DJs and he didn't stand out in just a suit so I just wondered what the feel was on P&O.

Great news about the alcohol, and yes it's just for use in the cabin. Is it best to take it with us as carry on luggage?

Great news about the alcohol, and yes it's just for use in the cabin. Is it best to take it with us as carry on luggage?

We usually put a litre bottle in our luggage but we've got a special bottle bag that really protects it. The wine and mixers usually go in our hand luggage

We always put any alcohol or mixers in our carry on case, I'm always worried about putting things in the hold luggage as the cases do get thrown around a bit. I know some people do pack things in bubble wrap and put them in their main case but we never have. Never any trouble with putting alcohol in our carry on case. Next cruise we are with Fred Olsen and they don't allow you to take any alcohol on with you - will seem very different after P&O. Mind you we have been given a free drinks package so will be interesting to see how that works out. Apparently if we want to have premium wines or spirits we get 50% of the price of those. Not that we take loads on we don't. We haven't cruised with FO for several years so it will be interesting to see what it's like now.

If you prefer to dress more casually on formal nights you can always dine in the buffet....I think certain bars will be "out of bounds" also if you are not in formal attire but there will be a bar(s) where you will be able to have a drink. I seem to remember being allowed into the theatre without formal dress but I stand to be corrected on that point.

I find that the majority do "dress up" unlike the American lines where a lot more people have a more casual approach on formal nights

We are going on our first P&O cruise onboard the Ventura in a few weeks and we're very excited, but wondered if any of you who've travelled P&O before could help us out on a few questions.

What's the official line on taking your own alcohol onboard? We're only looking at a bottle of wine or two, is that alright? What about taking our own soft drinks?

For the formal night, my husband's smartest suit is light grey. Will this be acceptable, or is he best in a dark one? Will he stand out like a sore thumb?

After embarkation, before we get our luggage, any tips on what is good to do? We've only cruised with the kids before so always took this opportunity to register at kid's clubs or use the pools while they were quiet, but it's just the two of us this time.

Thank you! :)

Nowadays with P&O sticking more rigidly to the embarkation times we've found our luggage waiting for us as soon as we boarded. It was good to unpack the moment we arrived then relax on deck with a cocktail.

Another thing we did was go on a spa/gym tour which I've never done before. I warned hubby they would try and do a hard sell (which they did!) but because we were prepared we just gave a polite 'we'll think about'! And went on our merry way! It was good to see the gym because I had thought of using it before but was a bit nervous of procedure etc!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you so much everyone. Alcohol will definitely be going in hand luggage then. It's really interesting how different the "formal wear" rules are interpreted for different cruise lines, but it's not often you get to properly dress up so I think we'll probably take the opportunity this time to do so.

One more question if that's ok - are any drinks on board free? Juice with breakfast, soft drinks with dinner etc. On a previous cruise we had soft drinks dispensers by the pool you could help yourself to day and night but I've only just found out that might be a novel thing - we were expecting the same with P&O (naïvely)

The good thing about DJ's is that its very difficult to tell the difference between a cheap one and an expensive one. There are some at £89 at M&S which would probably be fine and if you do 20 cruises thats less than a fiver a time.

The good thing about DJ's is that its very difficult to tell the difference between a cheap one and an expensive one. There are some at £89 at M&S which would probably be fine and if you do 20 cruises thats less than a fiver a time.

Or even cheaper in Matalan!

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app

I'm just taking my navy and black work suits as I have them already and don't like the DJ/bow tie look.

On P&O you have to pay for soft drinks but juices are free at breakfast. Drink prices are quite fair though, I believe. :)

Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by danielundecided

Wow not even a free drink with a meal, it's been a long time since I paid for soft drinks on a holiday! Thanks for the heads up though, at least I won't look a fool when I'm on board now. Thanks everyone.

Wow not even a free drink with a meal, it's been a long time since I paid for soft drinks on a holiday! Thanks for the heads up though, at least I won't look a fool when I'm on board now. Thanks everyone.

Not sure how many hotels, restaurants etc will give you a free soft drink with your meal!

We got off Ventura this morning and on the formal nights men were not turned away in the MDR for not wearing a DJ or suit and there were a number of men in smart trousers and jackets and ties but I did not see any men without a jacket or tie so I think that a light suit would be acceptable.

Not sure how many hotels, restaurants etc will give you a free soft drink with your meal!

All of them onboard Disney, that's why I asked. Wasn't sure what was the norm and what wasn't with a different cruise line.

Thanks for replies, and Josy1953 that's really helpful to know, thank you! Hope you had a great holiday.

A light suit. I hope so as I have a linen suit. But I have been told by different P&O reps that it must be dark. Anyone else managed a light suit?

You know that a light suit is against the stated dress code, why stop there? Maybe you should try shorts and flip flops if you are trying to make a point.

You know that a light suit is against the stated dress code, why stop there? Maybe you should try shorts and flip flops if you are trying to make a point.

I think that's entirely different and an unnecessary comparison. A smart, formal grey suit is a world away from shorts and flip flops. And nobody is trying to "make a point". Wearing a grey suit for some is just more practical or comfortable, it's not anarchy.