Oceania Insignia

st5310

I am not getting prepaid gratuities. My usual bill for gratuities and alcoholic beverages runs about $185. It is a 7 day cruise. Since internet is included and there is no fee for specialty restaurants that leaves $215. I have never used a spa so I don’t know where I would spend that $215. Maybe you have some ideas.

Well if you do not want to have non refundable OBC left ask your TA to remove the O Life perk of OBC

otherwise you are left buying stuff in the shops

I have been just taking the cruise only fare ..no air no Olife perk

My TA gives us PPG + we have loyalty OBC which more than pays for what we drink & then I shop ;)

I am not getting prepaid gratuities. My usual bill for gratuities and alcoholic beverages runs about $185. It is a 7 day cruise. Since internet is included and there is no fee for specialty restaurants that leaves $215. I have never used a spa so I don’t know where I would spend that $215. Maybe you have some ideas.

Oceania has one of the best spas at sea - Canyon Ranch Spa. Book a "Hot Rock Massage" and enjoy the relaxing time and treatment.

Well if you do not want to have non refundable OBC left ask your TA to remove the O Life perk of OBC

otherwise you are left buying stuff in the shops

I have been just taking the cruise only fare ..no air no Olife perk

My TA gives us PPG + we have loyalty OBC which more than pays for what we drink & then I shop ;)

I left a message for my travel agent to call me. I believe I am her first Oceania booking.

I left a message for my travel agent to call me. I believe I am her first Oceania booking.

You could always check the Cruise only fare on O website & compare to the bottom line on your invoice

Then just tell the TA you want the cruise only fare

That is why is is good to seek out a TA that deals a lot with Oceania ..for new TA's the process can be complex :evilsmile:

Hopefully it's OBC from your TA and will be refundable. Many TA's offer free gratuities on Oceania cruises. The one I'm going on was not marked as having it but my TA has a group on the sailing so she had prepaid gratuities as a perk. Then she's giving me $200 OBC but that will be refundable if not used. I'm also getting $100 from Oceania as a result of being an NCL shareholder, and that is non-refundable, so well have to spend that somewhere.

We don't generally drink a lot and non-alcoholic beverages like fancy coffees and virgin frozen drinks are free on Oceania, so that meets out drink needs.

Are you doing their 7 night Bermuda cruise next summer?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

You could always check the Cruise only fare on O website & compare to the bottom line on your invoice

Then just tell the TA you want the cruise only fare

That is why is is good to seek out a TA that deals a lot with Oceania ..for new TA's the process can be complex :evilsmile:

She is not a new TA but none of her customers ever booked Oceania.

She is not a new TA but none of her customers ever booked Oceania.

Get a different TA- one who's a member of Oceania's Connoisseurs Club. Those agencies do have the advantage of promotional assistance from O, which often translates to free gratuities et al.

BTW, gratuities in the bulk of O cabins run $16/person/day. At $32 for double occupancy on a 7 day cruise, that would be $224.

I agree with the others that you need to check with the TA whether the $400 credit is the non-refundable O Life OBC perk or the TA's own contributed refundable OBC or some other non-refundable OBC related to an O (or some TA consortium) promotion amenity.

At the bottom line (for many O cruisers), O Life OBC (rather than alcohol or excursions) with air credit (instead of O air), provides the most value/flexibility.

Get a different TA- one who's a member of Oceania's Connoisseurs Club. Those agencies do have the advantage of promotional assistance from O, which often translates to free gratuities et al.

BTW, gratuities in the bulk of O cabins run $16/person/day. At $32 for double occupancy on a 7 day cruise, that would be $224.

I agree with the others that you need to check with the TA whether the $400 credit is the non-refundable O Life OBC perk or the TA's own contributed refundable OBC or some other non-refundable OBC related to an O (or some TA consortium) promotion amenity.

At the bottom line (for many O cruisers), O Life OBC (rather than alcohol or excursions) with air credit (instead of O air), provides the most value/flexibility.

Actually I believe we decided that taking the obc is now a wash since internet is always included. It no longer makes sense to take the obc. The only real value is either the drink package or excursions.

The way it came about I was going to book Celebrity on a similar itinerary and doing my research I saw the Oceania sailing. Had her price it on a whim as I liked the Oceania version of the itinerary better. The actual price was pretty close between Oceania and Celebrity when the OBC was factored in but on Celebrity if I have leftover OBC I spend it on Specialty restaurants and the Apple products they sell on board Celebrity. The final price had $500 air credit, $2,549 early booking savings and a $1000 Bonus Discount. Have done over 50 cruises on other cruise lines and never had an invoice like that. So I wonder if changing it now would lose some or all of those savings except for the air credit.

Are you doing their 7 night Bermuda cruise next summer?

Yes, their 7 night Bermuda.

I don’t think the OBC is refundable. I am not unhappy with what I got as is about the same price as what I would have paid on Celebrity, it does St. George’s and Hamilton which I prefer a lot over the Dockyard, and I get to try Oceania. Also I have been on the Azamara Journey so I know what the ship will be like. The large OBC credit didn’t concern me when I booked because I am used to paying for specialty restaurants, Internet, fancy coffee, so it wasn’t on my radar that Oceania did not charge for them. I will talk to the TA about getting the OBC deducted but if she can’t I can live with it. I usually enjoy wine at dinner so I can upgrade my wine selections.

you can take the air credit but still choose one of the O Life perks or just take the cruise only fare

Question which I am sure many New Yorkers and South Floridians can answer: If you live in the metro area from where ship embarks, are you entitled to an airfare credit? We are moving to NY next year, so I am curious.

Greetings, edgee, from South Beach. Yes, you will get air credit. We live 25 minutes from the port here, and about the same time from our home to the port when we lived in NYC.

Mary

Actually I believe we decided that taking the obc is now a wash since internet is always included. It no longer makes sense to take the obc. The only real value is either the drink package or excursions.

Exactly! You're paying for the OBC up-front and then have to worry about using it.

The excursions can be a good deal if you'd normally book them thru the cruise line since you I believe can book them up to $200 each (assuming they are available). For a longer cruise, the drink package price per day might be low enough to be worth getting. For my cruise, it was $30/person and with the non-alcoholic beverages already being included, it wasn't worth that.

Yes, their 7 night Bermuda.

I don’t think the OBC is refundable. I am not unhappy with what I got as is about the same price as what I would have paid on Celebrity, it does St. George’s and Hamilton which I prefer a lot over the Dockyard, and I get to try Oceania. Also I have been on the Azamara Journey so I know what the ship will be like. The large OBC credit didn’t concern me when I booked because I am used to paying for specialty restaurants, Internet, fancy coffee, so it wasn’t on my radar that Oceania did not charge for them. I will talk to the TA about getting the OBC deducted but if she can’t I can live with it. I usually enjoy wine at dinner so I can upgrade my wine selections.

Still perplexed at the thought of a TA not adding rebate/refundable OBC (beyond any covered gratuities).

As aforementioned, if gratuities are not provided as an O loyalty perk (silver or above), many partner (O Connoisseurs Club) TAs have some O promotion gratuities (or TA consortia gratuities coverage) to distribute. Bottom line is how much "commission sharing" is in the deal.

The way it came about I was going to book Celebrity on a similar itinerary and doing my research I saw the Oceania sailing. Had her price it on a whim as I liked the Oceania version of the itinerary better. The actual price was pretty close between Oceania and Celebrity when the OBC was factored in but on Celebrity if I have leftover OBC I spend it on Specialty restaurants and the Apple products they sell on board Celebrity. The final price had $500 air credit, $2,549 early booking savings and a $1000 Bonus Discount. Have done over 50 cruises on other cruise lines and never had an invoice like that. So I wonder if changing it now would lose some or all of those savings except for the air credit.

I booked a cruise for this August last week and I also got the "Early Booking" discount. I am also new to Oceania but I've received enough of their brochures to know that their discounts are kind of a sham. The category I booked has been the same price for the last several months. I would not worry about losing your discount.. Also, I'm sure they can just remove the O Life perk without changing the cruise price, on the off-chance that it changed.

Cruise Fare USD $6,598.00

Savings

Early Booking (3,299.00)

Bonus Discount (1,000.00)

OLife Choice Credit (300.00)

Air Credit (200.00)

Cruise Fare Total $1,799.00

As for Celebrity, I'm surprised that the OBC you had was not refundable.

Edited by MisterBill99

Still perplexed at the thought of a TA not adding rebate/refundable OBC (beyond any covered gratuities).

As aforementioned, if gratuities are not provided as an O loyalty perk (silver or above), many partner (O Connoisseurs Club) TAs have some O promotion gratuities (or TA consortia gratuities coverage) to distribute. Bottom line is how much "commission sharing" is in the deal.

Agreed on the perplexed part. But I once checked with a TA that was popular with a group of cruisers I had met online (and which I believe Charles was a part of) and was told that he did not give OBC because he considered his expertise to be worth more than any OBC. I told him I respected his opinion, but he wouldn't be getting my business.

My confirmation shows "** Cruise Connoisseur Club Member **" above my TA's info. This particular cruise was odd because her website (as well as the mega online agent whose name starts with C and is not a wholesale club) did not show PPG, which similar cruises around the same time did. I'm not sure how they decide which sailings to offer it on, but luckily I asked her to watch for a deal and she told me that she had PPG because of a group. However, she implied she could not give me that much OBC because apparently the tips somehow cut into the commission.

I booked last week for a cruise this August and I also got the "Early Booking" discount. I am also new to Oceania but I've received enough of their brochures to know that their discounts are kind of a sham. The category I booked has been the same price for the last several months. I would not worry about losing your discount..

I saw the cruise listed you that booked. Very nice deal. I was already committed to Iceland on August 20.

Agreed on the perplexed part. But I once checked with a TA that was popular with a group of cruisers I had met online (and which I believe Charles was a part of) and was told that he did not give OBC because he considered his expertise to be worth more than any OBC. I told him I respected his opinion, but he wouldn't be getting my business.

Three of the TA's I booked with on that group have passed away. Sue, Lori and Cal. The one I think you checked with I called once but I didn't hit it off with him, probably for the same reasons.

This TA is a good friend, friendship is important to me, and also I would like her to get experience with Oceania as I probably will be booking Oceania in the future. I like a good deal but I am not as much of a penny pincher as I used to be because I don't need to be. If I do book Oceania again I will compare fares with a Connoisseur Club TA.

If I do book Oceania again I will compare fares with a Connoisseur Club TA.

I have not seen cheaper fares with the CC TA's, just free gratuities. FWIW, I checked my agent's site as well as the C agent and neither is showing PPG for the 7 night Bermuda sailings next year. The prices are actually pretty reasonable, and all of the cheapest inside and oceanview categories are already wait-listed.

I have not seen cheaper fares with the CC TA's, just free gratuities. FWIW, I checked my agent's site as well as the C agent and neither is showing PPG for the 7 night Bermuda sailings next year. The prices are actually pretty reasonable, and all of the cheapest inside and oceanview categories are already wait-listed.

many agencies do not advertise extra perks or discounted fares if there are any

You have to contact the TA

Most cruises lines have a rule that travel agencies cannot advertise lower prices than the cruise line

Yes the lower & the higher categories sell out fast

if you want an inside you need to book early

Yep. I booked it because the prices were reasonable. I called my TA and the PPG comes from consortiums. Her agency is in a consortium, the consortium name starts with a T, there is no PPG being offered on the sailing I booked. She is going to check on removing the O Life and see if we come out even or ahead removing it.

Connoisseurs Club TAs occasionally have O partnership sales of approx 4-5% discount, which last for about one month and rotate across their membership. They also have lists of close-in upcoming sailings with empty cabins that carry up to 15% discounts. Always ask a CC TA if they have a current or coming up O promotion.

BTW, there are also occasional "new O cruiser" promos of approx. 5% discount.

Connoisseurs Club TAs occasionally have O partnership sales of approx 4-5% discount, which last for about one month and rotate across their membership. They also have lists of close-in upcoming sailings with empty cabins that carry up to 15% discounts. Always ask a CC TA if they have a current or coming up O promotion.

BTW, there are also occasional "new O cruiser" promos of approx. 5% discount.

Interesting. They should have offered me the discount instead of mailing brochures twice a week!

The problem with a discount on upcoming sailings is that the lowest priced cabins for my cruise are all wait-listed. A 15% discount on the most expensive cabin in the category isn't as good a deal as booking a guarantee and hoping for an upgrade, since my category is now wait-listed and it's after final payment. So unless they get people in the lowest cat to take an upsell, I should get something better than I paid for.

Now, if they do the 15% off and also reopen guarantees for the lower priced categories, that would be a deal.

Yes the lower & the higher categories sell out fast

Oddly, on my sailing all of the expensive cabin categories are still available. I'm guessing they'll be doing some heavy lifting getting people to take an upsell. Or maybe they booked low expecting to get an offer.

BTW when should I realistically expect to see my cabin assigned? The confirmation says no sooner than 45 days but possibly as late as day of sailing (that part is typical). HAL does them 10 days (or sooner). I assume I'll get an upsell offer before I get assigned.

BTW when should I realistically expect to see my cabin assigned? The confirmation says no sooner than 45 days but possibly as late as day of sailing (that part is typical). HAL does them 10 days (or sooner). I assume I'll get an upsell offer before I get assigned.

If you have a GTY cabin you could get the assignment up until you check in at the dock

If you are waitlisted you are not actually on the cruise ...YET

Interesting. They should have offered me the discount instead of mailing brochures twice a week!

The problem with a discount on upcoming sailings is that the lowest priced cabins for my cruise are all wait-listed. A 15% discount on the most expensive cabin in the category isn't as good a deal as booking a guarantee and hoping for an upgrade, since my category is now wait-listed and it's after final payment. So unless they get people in the lowest cat to take an upsell, I should get something better than I paid for.

Now, if they do the 15% off and also reopen guarantees for the lower priced categories, that would be a deal.

Oddly, on my sailing all of the expensive cabin categories are still available. I'm guessing they'll be doing some heavy lifting getting people to take an upsell. Or maybe they booked low expecting to get an offer.

Not so odd if one is talking about short Caribbean cruises (or similar runs meant to compete with mass market lines). On longer or more "exotic" cruises, the lowest and highest cabins are the first to sell out.

I just "booked onboard" an Asian 33 day (extended journey) cruise just announced for May 2020. The only "decent (IMO)" cabins left are A category. Almost every other category is already sold out.

BTW, another benefit of Connoisseurs Club is that those TAs see the new itineraries before they are published and can do prebooking holds (as can the O Club Ambassadors onboard).

That's why the more desirable itineraries are often so hard to get.

Good luck on the "upsell" strategy. But, for the great cruises (e.g., TransPacific), don't hold your breath.