New boarding procedures - Breakaway

Now that you mention it.....I did get an email from NCL a week or two ago telling me to do my online check-in and I just laughed when I read it to my hubby and blew it off since I already had my edocs printed. Then when I logged in the other day I saw we were only 80% checked-in. Once I chose a time for each of us from the full array of times available, we went back to 100%. Guess next time NCL sends me an email telling me to do my online check-in when I think it's done, I'll check to see what they have changed. Never before did Platinum or Platinum Plus have to choose a time we planned to get to the port. In fact it had a little blurb saying we didn't have to choose a time because we are Platinum Plus.

I, too, got that blurb instead of a time choice, and I’m not Platinum or Platinum Plus, but I DID book a transfer through NCL, and it did mention that as a reason. I just thought it odd. My check in remained 100%, and never dropped to 80% after I did my initial check in (when I booked) and printed my edocs when they were ready.

Now that you mention it.....I did get an email from NCL a week or two ago telling me to do my online check-in and I just laughed when I read it to my hubby and blew it off since I already had my edocs printed. Then when I logged in the other day I saw we were only 80% checked-in. Once I chose a time for each of us from the full array of times available, we went back to 100%. Guess next time NCL sends me an email telling me to do my online check-in when I think it's done, I'll check to see what they have changed. Never before did Platinum or Platinum Plus have to choose a time we planned to get to the port. In fact it had a little blurb saying we didn't have to choose a time because we are Platinum Plus.

We had the same thing happen. Previously as Platinum/Plus - the time just stated "Open". This time it required that I enter a time to have my previously completed check-in to go back to 100% complete (the time selection was not there when I first completed the check-in). I also noticed on my eDOCs it now says " Guest arriving to the pier before your select arrival time will be asked to come back at the appropriate time." This was not the document for our Oct cruise - so I am thinking that they are getting ready to enforce the time selected.

I also noticed on my eDOCs it now says " Guest arriving to the pier before your select arrival time will be asked to come back at the appropriate time." This was not the document for our Oct cruise - so I am thinking that they are getting ready to enforce the time selected.

Does anyone know if everyone is able to select a time or can some people just be given a time?

I should hate to be given a late time if they enforce the given time.

We were given a late time for our MSC cruise this summer but decided not to care about the given time and embarked much earlier than our given time.

Does anyone know if everyone is able to select a time or can some people just be given a time?

I should hate to be given a late time if they enforce the given time.

We were given a late time for our MSC cruise this summer but decided not to care about the given time and embarked much earlier than our given time.

Normally the earlier you complete your online registration, the more choices you have for times to check-in. If you wait until after final payment, you may be locked out of the earlier times. I guess we won't know when they will actually start enforcing the times until someone comes back and says they were turned away for being there too early.

Normally the earlier you complete your online registration, the more choices you have for times to check-in. If you wait until after final payment, you may be locked out of the earlier times. I guess we won't know when they will actually start enforcing the times until someone comes back and says they were turned away for being there too early.

A NCL cruise seems far away right now (with the Havenprices now) but if we ever do it agsin I will remember to dö the registration as early as possible.

Our cruise is less than 30 days away and I just now picked a check-in time of 9:30 to 10:30 am. Ir gave me a wide choice of times so I don't think your choices go down closer to the cruise date. I just hope if we get there a bit later than we choose due to traffic etc that we are not pushed back to a later time.

Is it an easy walk from Times Square to the cruise terminal? We are spending the night before in a Times Square Hotel

Really depends on what you mean by "easy":

Dragging bags behind you midweek/midday/mid-Manhattan? Post us a video of that [emoji102] but mute the cursing.

If I remember correctly, 20 short blocks in NYC = approx 1 mile. So (from Times Square), it would be 1/2 mile UpTown to the 50s than west to the river another 1/2 mile or so.

Depending on traffic, there are those occasions when you might actually get there faster walking than with a taxi. HOWEVER, at the wrong time/day, it would be like walking a gauntlet if you've got luggage. IMO, not a good idea just to save a few bucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The Haven passengers really don't opt for a Vibe pass as they have their own private sundeck on the other side of the ship.

I was just wondering why someone booked in a Haven suite would pay additional money for another exclusive, quiet area.

I am sailing the Getaway on January 7, and there was not time offered. I sailed this same ship last January and a time WAS offered. I called my cruise consultant, and he said that the Getaway was no longer on their list of ships requiring a check in time. I thought that odd, as that ship has 4500 passengers.

That is odd because I just finished my online check-in for Feb 11th on the Getaway and there was an arrival time selection.

That is odd because I just finished my online check-in for Feb 11th on the Getaway and there was an arrival time selection.

Since I posted that, after what my consultant told me, I noticed that people on my roll call were indeed choosing a time. They said to go back in to your check in, and it should have changed from 100% to 80% complete. Well, mine still said 100%, but I went back into my check in. Under “Arrival Time” tab, it was checked green as “complete”, but I still did the drop down area in that tab, and it stated that Platinum, Platinum Plus, Haven guests, and those that have NCL transfers do NOT need to choose a time. They can arrive anytime after 9:30am. I have transfers through NCL booked. So that must me the reason.

I was just wondering why someone booked in a Haven suite would pay additional money for another exclusive, quiet area.

Same reason most non-Haven passengers purchase the Vibe pass..... no kids!! The Haven sundeck and tubs and pools and courtyard have no restrictions on kids.

• 2 weeks later...

There are clearly a lot of experienced BA cruisers sharing their experiences on this topic. I think one thing that needs to be considered, in addition to all of the replies to the original post, is that how quick the process to embark goes is dependent on how quick the process to disembark goes for those returning to NYC. NCL seems to have a pretty good system that expedites BOTH processes. (Think of the movie Goodfellas; the fur coats that "fell off the truck" in front of the building are sold "below cost" to customers through the back door almost instantaneously. Remember that NCL doesn't make a lot of money from people just sitting in the lobby waiting to get on board the ship...and they know this too. It is in their best interest to get people on board as soon as possible.

One thing that slows things down more than anything...and it has an almost exponential effect is when people show up unprepared at the check-in counter. Things would go much faster for everyone regardless of boarding category or whatever if everyone was prepared.

1. Print your cruise documents ahead of time. (I always have a copy to hand them at the counter)
  2. Keep your travel documents, passport or whatever, nearby and not in the bottom of your bag.
  3. Have your method of payment for your on-board charge account ready.
  4. Fill out the medical history questionnaire ahead of time.

I actually create a binder (yes, from Staples) for all of my cruise documents and I always have a spare copy of the downloadable cruise documents in an envelope so I can just hand it over to the person at the check-in counter. The last few times we've cruised with NCL, the people at check-in commented on how organized my stuff was and said that they wished everyone who cruised did it that way because it would make things go so much faster.

NCL staff would never be able to say stuff like "*** is wrong with you" to the people who show up completely unprepared. In my opinion, those people who habitually need their hand held every step of the way through life is why things go so slow at times like that.

Anyway, just my two cents.