New boarding procedures - Breakaway

I don't know why people get to the terminal to sit and wait with a couple thousand other people. Like the OP said, if you aren't going to scramble for a Vibe pass why would you do that?

Go later. Much later so the mass of people get onboard. You get there around 1pm and you will literally walk right on. No sitting and waiting, no boarding groups. Go have lunch at 1pm in the dining room, avoid the massive crowds in the buffet. It will be a much more pleasant experience.

I wish that was an option...... because I drive from Massachusetts and prefer to park at the pier.... arriving anytime after 11am is taking a chance that parking will be full. I've arrived at 11:15 before and forced to find alternative off site parking. If you could reserve parking i would not hesitate to arrive at 1pm... I've arrived at 9:30, left my stuff in the car and went sight seeing as an alternative but you can only do that a couple times before you run out of things to do in that time window..... that's why people get to the terminal and sit and wait....

I don't know why people get to the terminal to sit and wait with a couple thousand other people. Like the OP said, if you aren't going to scramble for a Vibe pass why would you do that?

Go later. Much later so the mass of people get onboard. You get there around 1pm and you will literally walk right on. No sitting and waiting, no boarding groups. Go have lunch at 1pm in the dining room, avoid the massive crowds in the buffet. It will be a much more pleasant experience.

They /we do it because we want to

Marion

For people who fly in the morning of, it is safer to book an early flight and arrive at the port early. If there are flight delays, they have time to spare. Those people would rather be early than (possibly) late.

I don't know why people get to the terminal to sit and wait with a couple thousand other people ...
IMHO, last 2 or 3 times sailing on the Breakaway, folks discovered that it's more civilized to do sit-down lunch in the 2 smaller MDR's ... when we came OUT around 1 PM, there was a line waiting to get in ... and, service can be a little slow when they are busy & full.

We enjoy the privileges and benefits of early/priority boarding and yield on Vibe passes, etc. But, we get there between 10 and 10:30, get thru security & check-in, usually less than 30 minutes at most, just enough time to quickly read the Freestyle Dailies for Day 1, register & activate our mobile NCL App ... and complete DIY last minute reservations for dining & shows, if needed ... before we head up the gangway.

We pack a backpack & small cabin tote with a change of clothing, and usually find the stateroom ready by the time we finished lunch around 1 PM - walk the stairs if needed (as the elevators are super packed & often full, unable to get in ...) and get settled in. Bonus, we get time in do a power nap before we get ready for the mandatory safety/lifeboat drills ... before the sailaway, fully rested.

Getting to the port, even for us "locals" at only 30 to 45 minutes away from the cruise terminal, can be delayed due to traffic, road closure or accidents, and congestion getting to the pier ... not a fan of the "just in time, final boarding call or else" mindset.

The Garden Cafe/buffet on NCL is the # 1 spot to avoid on embarkation day, dodging all the oversized rollers & spinners while watching for swinging backpacks ... looking for a clean table with a plate full of food and/or beverage is not one of our favorite hobby. Thanks to CC & other social media, even first time cruisers are discovering the well-known not so secret of heading for Savor or Taste to do a sit-down lunch ... plenty of time & opportunity to eat at O'Sheehans during the cruise.

It used to be that C.A.S. guests are boarding before Latitude Platinum/Plus members in NY port, now it seemed Platinum are boarded ahead of CAS - but following Special Needs, our wait - if any - are even shorter. We track the ship's actual arrival on the early morning of, and had adjusted our car service's pickup/dropoff time accordingly. Disembarkation timing, however, is another story & always unpredictable ... which we are never in a hurry for being shown the gangways to exit the ship, LOL.

IMHO, last 2 or 3 times sailing on the Breakaway, folks discovered that it's more civilized to do sit-down lunch in the 2 smaller MDR's ... when we came OUT around 1 PM, there was a line waiting to get in ... and, service can be a little slow when they are busy & full.

We enjoy the privileges and benefits of early/priority boarding and yield on Vibe passes, etc. But, we get there between 10 and 10:30, get thru security & check-in, usually less than 30 minutes at most, just enough time to quickly read the Freestyle Dailies for Day 1, register & activate our mobile NCL App ... and complete DIY last minute reservations for dining & shows, if needed ... before we head up the gangway.

We pack a backpack & small cabin tote with a change of clothing, and usually find the stateroom ready by the time we finished lunch around 1 PM - walk the stairs if needed (as the elevators are super packed & often full, unable to get in ...) and get settled in. Bonus, we get time in do a power nap before we get ready for the mandatory safety/lifeboat drills ... before the sailaway, fully rested.

Getting to the port, even for us "locals" at only 30 to 45 minutes away from the cruise terminal, can be delayed due to traffic, road closure or accidents, and congestion getting to the pier ... not a fan of the "just in time, final boarding call or else" mindset.

The Garden Cafe/buffet on NCL is the # 1 spot to avoid on embarkation day, dodging all the oversized rollers & spinners while watching for swinging backpacks ... looking for a clean table with a plate full of food and/or beverage is not one of our favorite hobby. Thanks to CC & other social media, even first time cruisers are discovering the well-known not so secret of heading for Savor or Taste to do a sit-down lunch ... plenty of time & opportunity to eat at O'Sheehans during the cruise.

It used to be that C.A.S. guests are boarding before Latitude Platinum/Plus members in NY port, now it seemed Platinum are boarded ahead of CAS - but following Special Needs, our wait - if any - are even shorter. We track the ship's actual arrival on the early morning of, and had adjusted our car service's pickup/dropoff time accordingly. Disembarkation timing, however, is another story & always unpredictable ... which we are never in a hurry for being shown the gangways to exit the ship, LOL.

Great post....lots of helpful tips....

Since I am now cruising solo, I no longer use a taxi to get from my home to the port....

I take a city bus and subway to the 8th Avenue and 50th Street station, and roll my suitcase along the rest of the way to Pier 88. About a half-mile or so....

I usually like to arrive before 1000 to get the lowest boarding group number. I then will scan the terminal, to see if I recognize anyone from previous cruises, to sit with and talk to.

Last year, someone in our Roll Call reserved space in Savor (or was it Taste?), for those of us expressing interest to do so for lunch, and it was a great opportunity to get acquainted prior to the next days Meet & Greet....

and it was a very nice experience.:)

I do not understand why anyone would pay $99pp just for a quiet spot. Maybe it’s just me, but I think it’s a huge waste of money. Just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It’s not just the quiet. It’s being able to soak in the hot tub without little kids jumping in on top of you. It’s being offered pitchers of fruit infused ice water. It’s being brought your favorite drinks without having to stand in a line at a bar even when you’re on the free drinks package. It has always seemed to me like service is slower when the service being provided has been paid for in advance but that is not the case in the vibe. My vibe bartender even stocked the karaoke bar with the drink I like because he knew I spent a lot of time there and that they did not carry the ingredients for my drink.

I do not understand why anyone would pay $99pp just for a quiet spot. Maybe it’s just me, but I think it’s a huge waste of money. Just my opinion.

not for us to understand, their money just like people don’t understand why we would pay for a Cabana on Great Stir Up Cay or why we always try to book the Haven ( we have done the Mini Suite and like those too) we do it because we want too, and it’s our money to waste, just my opinion . Everyone enjoys their vacation the way they see fit! Hope everyone enjoys their cruise no matter what

Marion.

I have paid for the cruise so of course I want to be on the ship as early as possible.

I don't understand why some people wants to arrive as late as possible for embarkation and why some people want to disembark as early as possible.

We chose a 9:30 check-in time (no need to 'break the rules' as some suggest) and arrived about 9:15 owing to a fast Uber from the hotel. We waited inside until they opened the security lines a few minutes later. We were fully checked-in and seated comfortably by 10:00 with boarding group 7, which literally boarded a few minutes after The Haven and Platinum. With time spent at the box office booking shows, we were still able to get a table immediately and start lunch before noon.

We had thought about getting Vibe passes, but decided against it. It would have been a total waste of money due to weather and the fact that there was NEVER a shortage of good loungers on the upper decks in the best of weather, and the Vibe bar is available to anyone outside of the Vibe Beach area.

I am cruising on the Breakaway out of NYC in June. With the new boarding procedures, is there a point to getting to the port early? Ideally I would LOVE to get a Vibe pass. Obviously, Haven, Platinum, etc will have their chance at it first. So, I guess my question, should I show up early hoping to get on early enough or not even waste my time and sleep in that day?

Haven guests usually do not purchase Vibe passes as they have their own sun deck and pool. They also have 2 jacuzzis and a sauna.

Hmm when do we get the option to pick what time we board? I did the online check in for my wife and I and there was not an option to pick a time for boarding? We are sailing on the Gem in February. Thanks!

Hmm when do we get the option to pick what time we board? I did the online check in for my wife and I and there was not an option to pick a time for boarding? We are sailing on the Gem in February. Thanks!

I am sailing the Getaway on January 7, and there was not time offered. I sailed this same ship last January and a time WAS offered. I called my cruise consultant, and he said that the Getaway was no longer on their list of ships requiring a check in time. I thought that odd, as that ship has 4500 passengers.

Judging by how many folks arrive extra early to obtain these limited availability passes $99.00 may actually be cheap...

How recently have you done it?

The reason I ask....I had checked in for my 19 January cruise on the Breakaway back on 11 November, and there was no option....but thanks to a recent tip on my roll call, I tried it again yesterday, and the option was now there...

Just got back from Getaway, had spa mini suite and got the vibe passes, both sea days plenty of loungechairs and double loungechairs available in sun or shade as desired at 10:30 am when got there, seemed to run about 25% occupancy most of the time and bartenders remember you and your drinks immediately it seems. Would buy again, worth sitting around to get to guest services while available.

Guess what works for one is great for the one, doesn’t seem to be any one thing that everybody on this planet all enjoy..... except possibly breathing lol

I am sailing the Getaway on January 7, and there was not time offered. I sailed this same ship last January and a time WAS offered. I called my cruise consultant, and he said that the Getaway was no longer on their list of ships requiring a check in time. I thought that odd, as that ship has 4500 passengers.

The Getaway has a 3,963 guest capacity.

Just got back from Getaway, had spa mini suite and got the vibe passes, both sea days plenty of loungechairs and double loungechairs available in sun or shade as desired at 10:30 am when got there, seemed to run about 25% occupancy most of the time and bartenders remember you and your drinks immediately it seems. Would buy again, worth sitting around to get to guest services while available.

Guess what works for one is great for the one, doesn’t seem to be any one thing that everybody on this planet all enjoy..... except possibly breathing lol

Exactly, what works for one may not work for another, we all enjoy our cruises in our own special way. Enjoy life is very very short

Marion

The reason I ask....I had checked in for my 19 January cruise on the Breakaway back on 11 November, and there was no option....but thanks to a recent tip on my roll call, I tried it again yesterday, and the option was now there...

Hmm a few months ago - I’ll check it out again

So I tried it again and it came up- I guess if you check in too early the option is not there- thanks for your help!

So I tried it again and it came up- I guess if you check in too early the option is not there- thanks for your help!

You're welcome! I got the tip from someone on my roll call, or I would have missed it too....you'd think NCL would send you an email or something to prompt you to do it....oh, well.....:rolleyes:

You're welcome! I got the tip from someone on my roll call, or I would have missed it too....you'd think NCL would send you an email or something to prompt you to do it....oh, well.....:rolleyes:

Now that you mention it.....I did get an email from NCL a week or two ago telling me to do my online check-in and I just laughed when I read it to my hubby and blew it off since I already had my edocs printed. Then when I logged in the other day I saw we were only 80% checked-in. Once I chose a time for each of us from the full array of times available, we went back to 100%. Guess next time NCL sends me an email telling me to do my online check-in when I think it's done, I'll check to see what they have changed. Never before did Platinum or Platinum Plus have to choose a time we planned to get to the port. In fact it had a little blurb saying we didn't have to choose a time because we are Platinum Plus.