Pre-dinner drinks in Steakhouse Bar before MDR

gardn198

I'm kind of a wine snob and considering the cheers package, but seeing the prices they charge for wine $7 a glass for a $5 bottle of Barefoot?! :confused: - are we allowed to stop by the Steakhouse bar to have a nice glass of wine or 2 before dinner in the MDR? I dress up for dinner every night, not just on formal nights. So I wouldn't be walking in there with shorts and flip flops. :)

The MDR has a whole wine list that is different than what you find at the bars around the ship. They DO have some nice wines on it.

I did not know that one could go to the steak house without having dinner there??

• Like 1

The MDR has a whole wine list that is different than what you find at the bars around the ship. They DO have some nice wines on it.

I did not know that one could go to the steak house without having dinner there??

They changed since we were on there last then, because I couldn't find anything I liked by the glass.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As you know, everyone's taste buds are different , especially for wine!

My only point was that the MDR has a larger list than at most of the bars on the ship.

I did not know that the steak house has its own bar with different wine than in the MDR? Are you sure about that??? Wine by the glass in restaurants/hotels/ships etc. are often expensive. IF a couple drinks 2 glasses each you probably would be better off buying a bottle. I tend to only have one glass and DH doesn't always have one so buying a bottle is not realistic for us.

We stopped bringing our own bottles because I don't mind paying and I like to try new ones instead of just the ones we drink at home.

As you know, everyone's taste buds are different , especially for wine!

My only point was that the MDR has a larger list than at most of the bars on the ship.

I did not know that the steak house has its own bar with different wine than in the MDR? Are you sure about that??? Wine by the glass in restaurants/hotels/ships etc. are often expensive. IF a couple drinks 2 glasses each you probably would be better off buying a bottle. I tend to only have one glass and DH doesn't always have one so buying a bottle is not realistic for us.

We stopped bringing our own bottles because I don't mind paying and I like to try new ones instead of just the ones we drink at home.

Very true, and I'm quite picky when it comes to wine. We are buying Cheers so IF the steakhouse bar has a better selection of wines by the glass I'd definitely go there to pick up a glass,or two, for dinner. We will also bring two bottles and take advantage of the 50% off in the steakhouse on the first night. We love a good wine with dinner!

I had read on the boards that you could go to the Steakhouse and sit at their bar for wine, drinks, etc. without eating there. I didn't believe it but we tried on the second night. We told the hostess what we wanted to do and she lead the way. The bartender was so nice. We would spend 30 - 45 minutes drinking wine and talking with her when she wasn't filling orders and then go to dinner in the MDR. Had excellent wines that she recommended. We wore whatever we were going to wear in the MDR that night and never felt uncomfortable. Will do it again next cruise so I hope we have the same good experience. We had the Cheers package.

• Like 1

I had read on the boards that you could go to the Steakhouse and sit at their bar for wine, drinks, etc. without eating there. I didn't believe it but we tried on the second night. We told the hostess what we wanted to do and she lead the way. The bartender was so nice. We would spend 30 - 45 minutes drinking wine and talking with her when she wasn't filling orders and then go to dinner in the MDR. Had excellent wines that she recommended. We wore whatever we were going to wear in the MDR that night and never felt uncomfortable. Will do it again next cruise so I hope we have the same good experience. We had the Cheers package.

So you can get nicer wines by the glass there? It would really help us get our money's worth out of Cheers.

yes the steakhouse has some wonderful wines by the glass. wines that would cost you over 100 dollars a bottle back in the states. if you have cheers take advantage of it.
Have read on one of the Cheers threads that there is a glass of champagne that is 20.00 that is only available at the Steakhouse Bar.

Sailed on the Glory in Feb. Took advantage of the 1st night Steakhouse promo which allows you to buy any wine on their wine list for 50% off. We ordered the Caymus. The wine list in the Steakhouse has some nice selections. Didn't finish it, they recorked and we took it with us In fact ordered a couple of additional bottles which we enjoyed through out our cruise either in our room or at the MDR.

• 1 year later...

yes, you can, my wife is a vegetarian and absolutely love the Steakhouse. did you look at the menu? Her standard order, not always,  crabs cakes, onion soup, Caesar salad, and the Sea Bass, which she says is always outstanding.

The Steakhouse is a fantastic place to get some high-quality drinks. I believe there are few that you will only find there and no where else on the ship.

Personally, I like to bring a glass of wine from the room for pennies on the dollar. Some people wouldn't be caught dead doing such a thing. I survive though.

• Like 1