What is the cost of excursions in French Polynesia or Hawaii?

RDC1

I am looking at an Oceania cruise to French Polynesia. It has been a couple of years since I was last on Oceania. I can find a list of excursions for the ports on the web site, but I cannot find their cost. I am trying to decide if it is better to take the free excursions or the on board OBC. Would appreciate it if someone can identify some excursions they have taken in Hawaii or French Polynesia and the cost so I can get an idea of prices.

We took no ship excursions. We did private and DIY, you can roughly double or even triple the private tour cost if you use an Oceania excursion.

On Bora Bora we went out with the famous Patrick, it was about 130-140, I think we paid in euros. There were dockside tours available including cheap shuttles to Bloody Mary 's for five bucks.

Some cruisers use Francky Frank on Moorea, we took his private tour on a precruise hotel stay, it was less than 50 euro. There were private tours available dockside in Moorea for less than 50 euro.

We were on a private snorkel/motu picnic on Fakarava and I think it was 125. Oceania had no excursions here.

They were selling local tours dockside in Rangiroa Raitea for about 30 euro.

Your best bet in Hawaii is a car rental.

We took all The O life tours on our Jan 2017 cruise from L.A to Tahiti . After adding them up it would have cost us well over 1000.00 and they where fantastic. Pearl Harbor in Hawaii and you must take Oceania's tour in Nuka Hiva

Sent from my SM-J320V using Forums mobile app

We took no ship excursions. We did private and DIY, you can roughly double or even triple the private tour cost if you use an Oceania excursion.

On Bora Bora we went out with the famous Patrick, it was about 130-140, I think we paid in euros. There were dockside tours available including cheap shuttles to Bloody Mary 's for five bucks.

Some cruisers use Francky Frank on Moorea, we took his private tour on a precruise hotel stay, it was less than 50 euro. There were private tours available dockside in Moorea for less than 50 euro.

We were on a private snorkel/motu picnic on Fakarava and I think it was 125. Oceania had no excursions here.

They were selling local tours dockside in Rangiroa Raitea for about 30 euro.

Your best bet in Hawaii is a car rental.

I have been to French Polynesia and Hawaii and am familiar with the private tours available.

My question deals specifically about Oceania Excursion costs.

We took all The O life tours on our Jan 2017 cruise from L.A to Tahiti . After adding them up it would have cost us well over 1000.00 and they where fantastic. Pearl Harbor in Hawaii and you must take Oceania's tour in Nuka Hiva

Thanks.

Did you use their free excursion option? If you did were you limited in which excursions you could take? How many did you take on that cruise?

Thanks.

Did you use their free excursion option? If you did were you limited in which excursions you could take? How many did you take on that cruise?

You may have considered this already, but do know (from an Oceania website):

"OLife Choice free shore excursions vary by voyage and exclude Oceania Choice, Oceania Exclusive and Executive Collection. Voyages up to 9 days receive 4 free shore excursions; 10-13 days receive 6 free shore excursions; 14+ days receive 8 free shore excursions. If shore excursion amenity is selected, all excursions must be chosen at least 14 days prior to sailing."

You may have considered this already, but do know (from an Oceania website):

"OLife Choice free shore excursions vary by voyage and exclude Oceania Choice, Oceania Exclusive and Executive Collection. Voyages up to 9 days receive 4 free shore excursions; 10-13 days receive 6 free shore excursions; 14+ days receive 8 free shore excursions. If shore excursion amenity is selected, all excursions must be chosen at least 14 days prior to sailing."

Thank you for your reply. That is the basis for my question. It is a choice of the 8 free excursions or $800 OBC. Thus the reason for asking what the costs tend to be. I am leaning towards the OBC, but unfortunately the web site doesn't give you enough information to really evaluate the economics of the two options.

I have been to both Hawaii and French Polynesia before and am familiar with local options. Just not with what Oceania tend to charge for their excursions.

Thank you for your reply. That is the basis for my question. It is a choice of the 8 free excursions or $800 OBC. Thus the reason for asking what the costs tend to be. I am leaning towards the OBC, but unfortunately the web site doesn't give you enough information to really evaluate the economics of the two options.

I have been to both Hawaii and French Polynesia before and am familiar with local options. Just not with what Oceania tend to charge for their excursions.

A thought: In looking at Oceania terms and conditions, we notice that the amenities you are looking at are per stateroom and not per person. If you choose the 8 excursions, which they will probably value at over $100.00 each, unless you go alone you will have to pay for the tours for the second person at whatever rate they are charging.

Check one of the current cruises going to the same ports & look at the excursions offered

The O Life free excursions do not include any with OC or OE in the tour description

here is one port to start you off

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/grand-voyage-cruises/auckland-to-papeete-SIR170423A/port-moorea-MOZ/?voyageday=21#all

Check one of the current cruises going to the same ports & look at the excursions offered

The O Life free excursions do not include any with OC or OE in the tour description

here is one port to start you off

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/grand-voyage-cruises/auckland-to-papeete-SIR170423A/port-moorea-MOZ/?voyageday=21#all

Thats funny I tried that on the cruise I was considering and two others. Could get the excursions, but not price info. Thanks.

Thats funny I tried that on the cruise I was considering and two others. Could get the excursions, but not price info. Thanks.

Depends when the cruise is maybe the excursions were not out for the ones you were looking at ???

Thanks.

We had 10 free excursions used them all. The limit was up to $199.00 pp .For instance the Pearl Harbor and City highlights tour 5:50 hrs was $89.00 pp.The Volcanoes national park was $109.00 pp.The Hollywood in Hawaii Movies and waterfall in Kauai was $199.00 PP.I do not remember the price for Nuka Hiva tour

Edited by Acrusa

We had 10 free excursions used them all The limit was up to $199.00 pp .For instance the Pearl Harbor and City highlights tour 5:50 hrs was $89.00 pp.The Volcanoes national park was $109.00 pp.

Edited by Acrusa

Oceania is high, but unless you want to spend a lot on wine and dry cleaning, you might as well use that money for the tours and get them early so you can get the good ones.

To get good idea of what you can do independently, take the O prices and subtract 45% of the O charge. If O wants $200 you can buy it for $120 on the shore. Wave runner tours with O $450... on the shore private set up..$280.... Do some research. In Hawaii all you need is a rental car...for $50 a day... The national parks, ( Volcanoes, USS Arizona, Place of Refuge Haleakala) all offer free talks and tours for visitors at no charge other then your admission)

A tour of Bora is $56 for 2 ,

I still have my docs from 2015 if you want the O prices on any specific tours.

I usually look for cruise going to the same ports within the next few months the excursions with prices are usually listed so it give you an idea of what is available

sometimes you have to think outside the box ;):halo: