Priority Disembarkation

RoseMarie

Thank you. I like the idea of leaving when I'm ready; not waiting for the call.

You do have to wait for your tag color to be called. It's usually among the first few called. Some very early transfers may get called ahead of suites. Once your tag color is called, you may leave when you wish.

Someone can correct me if it has changed since the last cruise I was on was in 2009. But we had the same thoughts and decided to opt to stay on as long as possible. That was a terrible idea that I will never do again! The ship turned off the air so it got really warm and stuffy, all the bars closed down so you couldn't even get a water to drink. We were extremely uncomfortable until we were able to get off. This time we are going to try for a little earlier. Definitely, not last call at like 10 am. But again, maybe it's changed since then.

That has totally changed. Keep in mind that on most HAL (and other cruise lines) there are a number of passengers who stay on the ship for the next cruise (back to backs...additional segments, etc). Ships never turn off their A/C unless there is a major maintenance issue since there are hundreds of crew working below decks. On disembarkation mornings it is likely that breakfast service will end earlier then other days. But as we posted, the Explorations Cafe (coffee, espresso, light snacks) will remain open throughout the morning. And most of the time, there will still be coffee/tea stations available in the Lido. The ship never "closed down" between cruises but is simply in a different mode (intense cleaning to get ready for the new cruisers). One other plus for HAL is that they still offer room service breakfast (although the new menu is more limited then in the past) even on Disembarkation mornings. One lesson we have learned, when we want to stay aboard until late, is to simply relax on an upper deck. Most of the major disembarkation action is happening on the lower decks. If you are on the pool deck or int he Crows Nest after 8:30....it is very quiet. We take all our carry-off stuff up to those decks, stay out of everyone's way....and just relax

Hank

That has totally changed. Keep in mind that on most HAL (and other cruise lines) there are a number of passengers who stay on the ship for the next cruise (back to backs...additional segments, etc). Ships never turn off their A/C unless there is a major maintenance issue since there are hundreds of crew working below decks. On disembarkation mornings it is likely that breakfast service will end earlier then other days. But as we posted, the Explorations Cafe (coffee, espresso, light snacks) will remain open throughout the morning. And most of the time, there will still be coffee/tea stations available in the Lido. The ship never "closed down" between cruises but is simply in a different mode (intense cleaning to get ready for the new cruisers). One other plus for HAL is that they still offer room service breakfast (although the new menu is more limited then in the past) even on Disembarkation mornings. One lesson we have learned, when we want to stay aboard until late, is to simply relax on an upper deck. Most of the major disembarkation action is happening on the lower decks. If you are on the pool deck or int he Crows Nest after 8:30....it is very quiet. We take all our carry-off stuff up to those decks, stay out of everyone's way....and just relax

Hank

That is GREAT to hear. It was so miserable last time. I have a heart problem and was starting to overheat, it was so muggy and my husband couldn't find even water anywhere. Once we were called and headed down we were then in line for just over an hour. It was such a mess. Sounds like it's much better now. That's excellent! :D I won't be stressing as much this time!

I don't belong to any 'priority' programme but do have a question about disembarkation. I'll be on a SA cruise this fall which ends at Valparaiso. We are scheduled to arrive at 7 a.m. I booked a noon flight out of Santiago, thinking 5 hours would be plenty of time to make it. Since then I've found that it's going to be tight, and I can't afford any kind of delay.

My question is, will I be able to walk off along with the priority groups if I only have carry-on luggage? Or will I have to wait till the priority groups are off? Needless to say, it's important that I get off the ship as soon as possible to make my way to customs. Then it's about a 1.5 hr taxi ride to the airport.

I'd appreciate hearing the thoughts of anyone who has disembarked at Valparaiso before.

I don't belong to any 'priority' programme but do have a question about disembarkation. I'll be on a SA cruise this fall which ends at Valparaiso. We are scheduled to arrive at 7 a.m. I booked a noon flight out of Santiago, thinking 5 hours would be plenty of time to make it. Since then I've found that it's going to be tight, and I can't afford any kind of delay.

My question is, will I be able to walk off along with the priority groups if I only have carry-on luggage? Or will I have to wait till the priority groups are off? Needless to say, it's important that I get off the ship as soon as possible to make my way to customs. Then it's about a 1.5 hr taxi ride to the airport.

I'd appreciate hearing the thoughts of anyone who has disembarked at Valparaiso before.

Unless there's something odd about Valparaiso specifically, HAL should offer early disembarkation for passengers who can carry off all their luggage. It sounds as if you'll qualify for that. The self-help (I forget what it's called) group goes off very early, before the suite and other priority passengers. You have to sign up for it on board, usually toward the end of your cruise. It's a while since I've done it, and I'm sure others can give you a better sense of time, but I think self-help usually is called around an hour after docking (the ship has to be cleared by local officials before anyone can disembark).

Unless there's something odd about Valparaiso specifically, HAL should offer early disembarkation for passengers who can carry off all their luggage. It sounds as if you'll qualify for that. The self-help (I forget what it's called) group goes off very early, before the suite and other priority passengers. You have to sign up for it on board, usually toward the end of your cruise. It's a while since I've done it, and I'm sure others can give you a better sense of time, but I think self-help usually is called around an hour after docking (the ship has to be cleared by local officials before anyone can disembark).

That's good to know. Thanks! So assuming I'm off the ship by 8 a.m. and customs goes smoothly, I should be on a taxi by 8:30 am. Arrive at the airport by 10 a.m. As I said, it's going to be tight and doesn't leave any room for delay. Sigh... I wish I had booked a later flight.

I hope I'll hear from someone who has disembarked at Valparaiso before so I'll have an idea of what I'll be facing there.

When I disembarked in Valparaiso, I had to take a shuttle to the terminal. Then, we had to stand in a circle while a dog went by us, sniffing for contraband. Once cleared, I was allowed to proceed to my on-going transportation.

All this took a little extra time.

When I disembarked in Valparaiso, I had to take a shuttle to the terminal. Then, we had to stand in a circle while a dog went by us, sniffing for contraband. Once cleared, I was allowed to proceed to my on-going transportation.

All this took a little extra time.

Thanks for your info, Ruth. How long did it take to get on a shuttle and get to the terminal? How long did it take to clear customs? I'm trying to figure out how much time to allow myself to get to the airport.

Thanks for your info, Ruth. How long did it take to get on a shuttle and get to the terminal? How long did it take to clear customs? I'm trying to figure out how much time to allow myself to get to the airport.

I'm not the best one to help with that as the last time I was using wheelchair assistance, and that brings its own delays.

The first time was so long ago that I really can't remember. I was using HAL tour w/transfer since my flight was at night.

If I were planning now, though, I would want at least 2 1/2-3 hours from the time I started to leave the ship until I wanted to arrive at the airport.

What does HAL recommend for a flight time? I would use that as a guideline, as they tend to allow at least enough time. You could maybe go a little less than their recommendation.

I'm not the best one to help with that as the last time I was using wheelchair assistance, and that brings its own delays.

The first time was so long ago that I really can't remember. I was using HAL tour w/transfer since my flight was at night.

If I were planning now, though, I would want at least 2 1/2-3 hours from the time I started to leave the ship until I wanted to arrive at the airport.

What does HAL recommend for a flight time? I would use that as a guideline, as they tend to allow at least enough time. You could maybe go a little less than their recommendation.

Yes, I was planning for 2 1/2 to 3 hrs to get to the airport. That means a 10 a.m. arrival at the airport and 2 hrs before my flight. I hope that's enough time to go through all the airport procedures!

Thanks again for your information.

IIRC, on Zuiderdam, the exit route was through the Queen's Lounge and there was someone at the door asking to see tags before they'd let anyone into that room. Lots of people with tags not yet called loitering around in the hallway hoping to get off the ship ahead of their time.

Same thing on Oosterdam in Tampa last March. We were in a Neptune carrying our own luggage. There were several persons removed from the line with the explanation that their bags would not be ready for them to pick up until their time was called.

Is it just the priority passengers who can leave anytime after their group is called? Do others have to leave as their group is called?

Technically, those that are carrying off their bags can leave any time after their color is called, which will be very early. And the priority pax can go any time they want.

Same thing on Oosterdam in Tampa last March. We were in a Neptune carrying our own luggage. There were several persons removed from the line with the explanation that their bags would not be ready for them to pick up until their time was called.

We have done this - exited before our color was called since we were in a Neptune. It was not a good idea, as we had to stand around and wait for our luggage to show up with no place for us to sit.

Also, as to people caring off their luggage leaving at anytime - while I guess you can do it, at some ports it is discouraged due to messing up the debarkation process (due to luggage slowing things down). At one port we even saw the self-disembark people getting off on a lower deck, which was closed off after a certain time (could have been due to the limited elevators?).

• 1 year later...

I wish HAL would adopt a disembarkation process similar to their embarkation process for their 4 and 5 Star Mariners.  They provide an exclusive lounge during embarkation and when boarding starts the 4 and 5 Stars are given priority to board.  There is no exclusive lounge provided when disembarking (i.e. Queens Lounge etc) for 4 and 5 Stars if you are carrying off your own luggage. This includes Neptune and Pinnacle suites.

Carnival Platinum and Diamond passengers are provided a special lounge for embarkation and disembarkation.  During disembarkation If you are carrying off your luggage,  Diamonds are allowed leave first followed by Platinum.

They also provide continental breakfast and this is a very enjoyable and smooth process.

Edited by 2LoveBikes

17 minutes ago, 2LoveBikes said:

I wish HAL would adopt a disembarkation process similar to their embarkation process for their 4 and 5 Star Mariners.  They provide an exclusive lounge during embarkation and when boarding starts the 4 and 5 Stars are given priority to board.  There is no exclusive lounge provided when disembarking (i.e. Queens Lounge etc) for 4 and 5 Stars if you are carrying off your own luggage. This includes Neptune and Pinnacle suites.

Carnival Platinum and Diamond passengers are provided a special lounge for embarkation and disembarkation.  During disembarkation If you are carrying off your luggage,  Diamonds are allowed leave first followed by Platinum.

They also provide continental breakfast and this is a very enjoyable and smooth process.

A few clarifications here. First, have been in a suite for all of our 12 HAL cruises, and a 4 star Mariner for at least 4 cruises, just short of 5 Star now. The "special lounge" for boarding is rare. Have seen a separate seating area once or twice. Second, Neptune and Pinnacle Suite occupants always have the Neptune Lounge up until the minute they choose to disembark. Have done that several times. Suite pax are allowed to leave any time after the self disembark people...usually either the second or third group.

Sorry, but your info is not current.

8 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

A few clarifications here. First, have been in a suite for all of our 12 HAL cruises, and a 4 star Mariner for at least 4 cruises, just short of 5 Star now. The "special lounge" for boarding is rare. Have seen a separate seating area once or twice. Second, Neptune and Pinnacle Suite occupants always have the Neptune Lounge up until the minute they choose to disembark. Have done that several times. Suite pax are allowed to leave any time after the self disembark people...usually either the second or third group.

Agree - and to add to that, Carnival requires rooms be vacated  ( I believe 8:30?) necessitating lounge use.  HAL does not require you vacate your cabin. 😄 

On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 9:16 PM, CruiserBruce said:

Please read again my post.  

I usually board out of Port Everglades and HAL provides a separate lounge (upstairs) or area depending on which terminal and pre-boarding for the loyalty levels as quoted.  This is not rare.  I am also a 4 Star working toward 4 Star.

The purpose of my post was to point that boarding (embarkation) process gives priority to loyalty levels (4 & 5 Star) and  and thus why HAL does not have a similar process for debarkation.  Everyone (those with self assist)  stand in line from mid ship and winding through the corridors waiting for the word to come to get off.  This is not a good experience.

I mentioned Carnival as the process is more orderly especially for the Platinums and Diamonds who report a special lounge and are seated along with coffee and etc.  for a smooth debarkation. I

23 minutes ago, 2LoveBikes said:

Please read again my post.  

I usually board out of Port Everglades and HAL provides a separate lounge (upstairs) or area depending on which terminal and pre-boarding for the loyalty levels as quoted.  This is not rare.  I am also a 4 Star working toward 4 Star.

The purpose of my post was to point that boarding (embarkation) process gives priority to loyalty levels (4 & 5 Star) and  and thus why HAL does not have a similar process for debarkation.  Everyone (those with self assist)  stand in line from mid ship and winding through the corridors waiting for the word to come to get off.  This is not a good experience.

I mentioned Carnival as the process is more orderly especially for the Platinums and Diamonds who report a special lounge and are seated along with coffee and etc.  for a smooth debarkation. I

Cruiser Bruce's post (which I agreed with) was simply pointing out that there are many ports where a separate lounge is not available.  Port Everglades is the exception, not the rule for separate lounge space.  There is none in Barcelona, Athens, Venice, Civitavecchia, etc.  

Your original post said "I wish HAL would adopt a disembarkation process similar to their embarkation process for their 4 and 5 Star Mariners.  They provide an exclusive lounge during embarkation and when boarding starts the 4 and 5 Stars are given priority to board."

There are many embarkation ports besides Port Everglades 😉 

And you said there was nothing for Neptune or Pinnacle Suite pax. Actually, there is, the Neptune Lounge, as I mentioned. And, as others have correctly mentioned, you are not forced out of your cabin until you wish to depart, unlike many other cruise lines.

And as mentioned, there are more ports in the world besides Ft Lauderdale. We have boarded in Copenhagen, San Francisco, San Diego, Rome, and Lima, Peru. No lounges in any of those ports. We have also boarded in Ft Lauderdale about 5 times.

We will be boarding in Seattle in about 6 months...haven't heard a lounge status there.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't get it!  Answers dancing around the original question to satisfy your point.

Point 1.  Boarding - HAL provides boarding priority based on loyalty levels, whether they offer a separate lounge in all cities or not.  Where I have boarded HAL at least segregates 4 & 5 Star and (Neptune & Pinnacle suites).

Point 2.  Debarkation -(Which was the original suggestion)  Allow priority (4 & 5 Star Mariners, Neptune/Pinnacle )debarkation or self assist passengers who wish to get off early, not stand in line on deck 2 on a first come basis.

I mentioned Carnival because they provide a lounge (which is usually a MDR )for Diamond & Platinum passengers on the debarkation deck only if you are self assist.  They are the first to get off. There is no line, no queue.

Edited by 2LoveBikes