Priority Disembarkation

RoseMarie

This is our 2nd time in a suite and I am not sure what the priority disembarkation means and how it works. The last time we just went to the regular line and waited upwards of an hour and a half. Is it different for suites? I am really not sure what to do.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Neptune Suites and Pinnacle Suites get priority disembarkation. I don't know about the other suite categories. I don't think we got priority when we were in a Vista Suite. Never been in a Signature suite.

NS and PS passengers taking HAL transfers go at the time the transfer is called, which means when the color/number of your luggage tag is called. NS and PS passengers who are making their own arrangements will get a color/number that gets called fairly early. Once that tag has been called, you may leave when you wish.

I don't think I've ever seen a disembarkation queue long enough to take an hour and a half on a HAL ship.

Just off Koningsdam. As a Suite pax (and it applies to 4 and 5 star Mariners as well), we were given a color tag (Pink)that allowed for us to get off any time we wished. It would have been a different color had we been carrying off our bags.

Thank you for your advice, So does this mean you just go to the head of the line? Or just you can leave anytime you want? When I got in line it was snaking down through a couple of halls. I didn't have a clue as to how to deal with the disembarkation. I read how people get in line long before their color is called so I must have gotten into one of those lines.

Thank you for your advice, So does this mean you just go to the head of the line? Or just you can leave anytime you want? When I got in line it was snaking down through a couple of halls. I didn't have a clue as to how to deal with the disembarkation. I read how people get in line long before their color is called so I must have gotten into one of those lines.

It means you get in the line. However, nobody without "called" colors gets to get in that line. For example, if they call all those with the color for carrying off your luggage, nobody else will be in that line, as that is the first color. They were enforcing that strictly. We even watched someone try to jump the rope line, and staff were all over him. He was a real jerk.

I have never seen a 90 minute line, without some problem. Was there an issue with too few Immigration folks?

Unfortunately, many guest feel as though they can disembark any time they feel the urge. The problems compound rapidly as others follow suit.

I've seen where guests have removed or torn the end of the luggage tag, or never affixed a tag, just to move toward the front of the line.

Guests with disabilities find it difficult to get an elevator as needed....those with city tours can be delayed due to gangway overcrowding....and others with early flights to catch can be similarly inconvenienced.

It is difficult or nearly impossible to enforce the color coded or numerically coded sequence which offers a structured order...as the steady flow down the gangway needs to be maintained.

My point is that there are good reasons as to when your number or color is called in a particular order.

That is why your post cruise information is requested in advance.

It is also why we have walkie-talkies. In that way we communicate with the ship as to real time situations which arise, and either move forward in the sequence or retard it.

Thank you for your understanding. I hope this is helpful information.

David

It means you get in the line. However, nobody without "called" colors gets to get in that line. For example, if they call all those with the color for carrying off your luggage, nobody else will be in that line, as that is the first color. They were enforcing that strictly. We even watched someone try to jump the rope line, and staff were all over him. He was a real jerk.

I have never seen a 90 minute line, without some problem. Was there an issue with too few Immigration folks?

IIRC, on Zuiderdam, the exit route was through the Queen's Lounge and there was someone at the door asking to see tags before they'd let anyone into that room. Lots of people with tags not yet called loitering around in the hallway hoping to get off the ship ahead of their time.

There might have been an issue that i wasn't aware of. Because this was my first cruise I didn't know what to expect. I might be exaggerating the time it took. At the time my husband had a bad back and couldn't stand in line, and I kept worrying that he was hurting and trying to just get where we were going.

Thank you

IIRC, on Zuiderdam, the exit route was through the Queen's Lounge and there was someone at the door asking to see tags before they'd let anyone into that room. Lots of people with tags not yet called loitering around in the hallway hoping to get off the ship ahead of their time.

This is essentially what they were doing on KDAM. But they wereclearly enforcing the order of the groups / colors.

This is essentially what they were doing on KDAM. But they wereclearly enforcing the order of the groups / colors.

Glad to hear they were enforcing the order of groups. Using the lounge as a "choke point" helps with that. If they consistently enforce the color groups, word gets around and people behave themselves, at least most will.

It's Cunard's one big failing--when they have immigration inspection on board, they set up a schedule based on deck and US/nonUS, but they make no attempt to enforce it. Everyone just queues up early to be first and it's a nightmare. I've stood in line for 2 hours on QM2 because I went at my assigned time and most people had gone early. The mess is almost a tradition. It was like that 10 years ago on QE2, with the immigration line stretching the length of the ship. If people think they won't be kicked out of line for going at the wrong time, they all show up early. And repeat passengers remember the mess, so they try to show up even earlier next time, and it just gets worse and worse. I don't know if disembarkation on QM2 is as bad when customs/immigration is done shoreside. We aren't allowed to stay in the cabins, but being Diamond gets us admitted to a quiet lounge with coffee available. We tend to leave the ship in one of the last waves--when the hostess starts thanking everyone profusely for sailing with Cunard, and "If you want to stay, there are cabins available..." hint, hint!

On Koningsdam in Feb I did self-disembark for the first time so I don't know if this is normal.

The instructions said to go to Lincoln Stage at 7:30(?). When I arrived a bit early the passageway was roped off to the exit. Those who arrived early were asked to sit. When the seats filled, the overflow congregated in the area between Lincoln Stage and Billboard. When boarding actually started, the seated people were allowed off prior to those who had to stand. While some of those standing complained, it actually went smoothly.

... I don't know if disembarkation on QM2 is as bad when customs/immigration is done shoreside. ...

Our most recent QM2 experience in New York went well. Disembarkation calls were between 7:00 (self-help) and 11:15. Passengers were not allowed to go ashore until their colour/number was called which was usually 10 minutes ahead of the estimated time. The most convenient immigration inspection is eastbound Transatlantic when a UK immigration officer travels with the ship. So upon arrival at Southampton everyone has been inspected and passengers simply go ashore and most go through the green channel.

Our most recent experience on HAL was in Vancouver at the end of an Alaska cruise. Their were no formalities with Canadian immigration as almost all passengers had gone round-trip on the cruise. There were a few one-way passengers and I don't know how they were processed - possibly on board? A customs officer collected the declaration cards in the baggage hall.

The disembarkation worked well, but I had some concerns for a while. We had booked a HAL transfer and when our luggage colour code showed up on the cabin TV we went to go ashore. There was a huge queue and I wondered if we should join it or go ahead. On asking a few people we were told that was not the queue for us and we should go to the gangway by excusing ourselves past a lot of people. I felt uncomfortable doing that, but there seemed no other way to be sure to catch our transfer at the appointed time. I wondered why people would stand in such a long queue when they could be comfortable in their cabins or a lounge.

Our most recent QM2 experience in New York went well. Disembarkation calls were between 7:00 (self-help) and 11:15. Passengers were not allowed to go ashore until their colour/number was called which was usually 10 minutes ahead of the estimated time. The most convenient immigration inspection is eastbound Transatlantic when a UK immigration officer travels with the ship. So upon arrival at Southampton everyone has been inspected and passengers simply go ashore and most go through the green channel.

Our most recent experience on HAL was in Vancouver at the end of an Alaska cruise. Their were no formalities with Canadian immigration as almost all passengers had gone round-trip on the cruise. There were a few one-way passengers and I don't know how they were processed - possibly on board? A customs officer collected the declaration cards in the baggage hall.

The disembarkation worked well, but I had some concerns for a while. We had booked a HAL transfer and when our luggage colour code showed up on the cabin TV we went to go ashore. There was a huge queue and I wondered if we should join it or go ahead. On asking a few people we were told that was not the queue for us and we should go to the gangway by excusing ourselves past a lot of people. I felt uncomfortable doing that, but there seemed no other way to be sure to catch our transfer at the appointed time. I wondered why people would stand in such a long queue when they could be comfortable in their cabins or a lounge.

(bold is mine) I don't get that, either. HAL kindly lets you wait in your cabin, where you can sit and relax. Unless it's cold or rainy, we wait on our balcony so we're out of the stewards' way while they're cleaning. We don't book early flights or trains, so we don't have that urgency to disembark. I don't want to get off the ship when all the transfers are being called. Those are large groups, and they have a bus waiting for them. I don't want to get in their way--and they don't need me in their way, either.

• Like 1

Disembarkation is never fun :(. But there are some strategies that can make it much easier and we are often surprised at how many frequent cruisers just keep putting themselves through the torture of that last morning. Our favorite strategy is to book a later flight (after noon) if we are flying out that same day. On that last morning when folks are running to and fro, working up a sweat, waiting in long queues....we are trying to enjoy the last morning. We eat breakfast as late as possible and then take our carry-off luggage and find a nice comfy lounger (on the pool deck if its a nice day....or in the Crows Nest if its nasty). Once in our comfy seats we sit back, sip coffee (Explorations is always open since there are always some back to back cruisers) and read our Kindles. Around 9:30 I will go take a look over the side and see if things seem to be quiet. The usually around 9:45 we get an elevator (no wait since the ship is empty) down to the proper deck and depart the ship. Once in the Terminal we quickly find our luggage (easy...since there are only a few pieces remaining) and walk past Customs and out the door. There is generally a short or no taxi queue...or we simply summon Uber.

Many times we will get to the airport and run into others from our cruise just sitting around (in uncomfortable airport waiting areas) spending hours waiting for their afternoon flights. We always wondered why these folks rushed off the ship....but its not a question you ask. Our other strategy, when we have an early flight, is to use express disembarkation (when you carry off your own luggage)....but we honestly dislike all the hassles. And I should add that if you are using Port Everglades or the Port of Miami...having Global Entry does really help with the line...once in the terminal. But it does not help with the hassles onboard.

Hank

How late can you stay on the ship? We have a late flight and the ship is nicer than the airport.

Someone can correct me if it has changed since the last cruise I was on was in 2009. But we had the same thoughts and decided to opt to stay on as long as possible. That was a terrible idea that I will never do again! The ship turned off the air so it got really warm and stuffy, all the bars closed down so you couldn't even get a water to drink. We were extremely uncomfortable until we were able to get off. This time we are going to try for a little earlier. Definitely, not last call at like 10 am. But again, maybe it's changed since then.

The way HAL generally works it is that the "self disembarkation" passengers get off first, then the folks who used the special luggage program (forget the name) if one is available on the cruise. Then the "priority" group (Neptunes and 4/5 stars).

We have messed this up a couple of times until we finally figured it out.