Jubilee being scrapped

tidecat

We've known this has been coming for a while, but the former Jubilee - which last sailed as the Henna for Chinese line HNA - is at the beach in Alang, India to be scrapped.

Sent from my eye phone using Forums FFS

Sailed on her once in 2003. While it's sad to see her go, I'm always happy to sail the newer, bigger, "better"(?) ships. Kind of like an old car that you used to own, you might look back on it fondly, but do you want to still be driving it?

• 3 months later...

My first cruise was on the Jubilee in June 2002 out of Tampa.

I still prefer her over most of the current classes. The slide on the Jubilee went into the main pool instead of just ending in a small basin. The big splash into the pool was one of the things I liked about it.

Jubilee was my very first cruise in December 2001. Good thing we had cruise #2 already booked on Imagination. Jubilee was a bit rough and rocky. People were both sick and a couple of people injured from falling. Didn't think anything of it at the time as we had nothing to compare it to. We come to find out later that her nickname was the Jubi"lean".

Ah! Still good memories and still going strong.

I did not sail on the Jubilee, and actually was not into cruising yet, when she was in service for Carnival.

However, I understand the attachment we have to our first or early cruise ships. My first cruise was on NCL Norway in 1999. And even though I had a wonderful cruise, and started my cruise ship/cruise addiction, I already knew back then that she would not be there much longer.

I was sad when the tragedy struck her, and especially for the loss of life. Then sad again, to see that ship laying out there on that scrap heap, disappearing gradually, like vultures picking at dead things.

It is sad to see, but times change, and sometimes old machines cannot be rehabilitated to fit into our world of today.

Having worked in the airline industry for many years, I also feel sad to see that airplane graveyard in the desert. Boeing 747 was my favorite airplane, and is barely seen anymore. I know it is no longer feasible for airlines to run them, but I miss them along with other airplanes I liked. Oh well, but love to look back and reminisce.