Cash, how much to bring? What currency?

tupperny

Nancy;

No, No, No! Very few US credit card providers offer a true chip and PIN card. They offer a card with a PIN that can be used at ATMs. Otherwise, it is a chip and signature card for cc purchase s. Totally different animals. Europe, OZ, NZ, and Canada are now on true chip and PIN technology. The US banks are about ten years behind in technology. Some facilities will not accept chip and signature cards. Ask first, don't assume.

If you don't have a chip and pin card, call your provider and request one. I did this a couple of years ago and got it in a few days.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would be very careful of what you have. US banks will send you a PIN but it is only for cash withdrawals not a true chip and PIN. Barclays card is supposed to switch to PIN if signature is not accepted but does not always work. Only a handful of credit unions offer true chip and PIN.

Budapest was very old school with restaurants wanting cash. However you can do exchange in Budapest at literally hundreds of locations without any ID needed. Also virtually everyone took euros, in fact they seemed to prefer them.

Some facilities will not accept chip and signature cards. Ask first, don't assume.

This is still the best advice, even if you've had no problems on previous trips.

The pressure is on the retailers to stop taking anything other than chip&pin as it greatly reduces the risk of fraud.

If they do accept a signature they are also accepting the risk for that transaction whereas with a pin the card company carries the risk.

Net result is that even if they can theoretically take a signature, many will not want to and will have instructed staff accordingly.

In tourist areas they are more familiar with US credit cards and so you may find them more accommodating, but still ask up front, just in case, and don;t just ask if they take cards, make it clear you do not use chip&pin..

This will be our fifth trip to,Europe I will try and give you some advice. No American money. We will be on Uniworld so most everything is included. Make sure you contact your CC and give them a heads about your trip. Also I have Capital One and no transaction fees.. We usually take about 200 euros and I have about 20 euros in change from our last trips. we use for tips for cafe etc. We use our credit card and if we need additional euros there are ATM in most towns?.Left over euros we spend at airport on our return in duty free shops... Have a wonderful time...

I got $200 Euro b4 we left so I had 'something in my pocket' on arrival

Just wondering where you were able to get the currency? We will be in Munich for 5 days and Switzerland for 4 before our cruise.

Many banks have euros. Or AAA members can order most any currency. AAA uses Wells Fargo.

Switzerland uses Swiss Francs.

Again you could also just use a local ATM to get local bills.

Edited by philw1776

Just wondering where you were able to get the currency? We will be in Munich for 5 days and Switzerland for 4 before our cruise.

You can use Euros in Switzerland with no issues, but the rate is not particularly good. However be aware it is very expensive here. $200 is virtually CHF200, which will buy you about 1.5 (perhaps 2) fairly decent dinners, without drinks, depending on where you eat. It is not uncommon for dinner for 2 with a couple of glasses of wine to be CHF150. Big Mac menu for lunch? $15.....

For the chip + pin discussion. Capital One and USAA both offer cards with no foreign transaction fees, and true chip and pin. Although we used Cap1 almost exclusively on our recent trip to Italy, no vendors used the chip technology, but ran as a swipe. We only used it in very heavily tourist areas. I'm sure other parts of Europe will be different.

For the cash discussion: plan to use an ATM when you arrive. It has the best exchange rate and if you're on a tour or cruise staff will be able to tell you where a near-by one is. There should always be one in the airport. We tend to look for ones associated with a bank -- not a cash exchange place. You can generally look at an airport services map to figure out where they will be located. It's also a good word to learn in the native language in the country you are arriving in. When we've arrived early, sometimes shops are not open or there may not be as many amenities where the staff know English. The term "ATM" is not universally used.

Our credit union Visa debit card generally does not have any foreign transaction or ATM fees out of the country.

For the chip + pin discussion. Capital One and USAA both offer cards with no foreign transaction fees, and true chip and pin. Although we used Cap1 almost exclusively on our recent trip to Italy, no vendors used the chip technology, but ran as a swipe. We only used it in very heavily tourist areas. I'm sure other parts of Europe will be different.

For the cash discussion: plan to use an ATM when you arrive. It has the best exchange rate and if you're on a tour or cruise staff will be able to tell you where a near-by one is. There should always be one in the airport. We tend to look for ones associated with a bank -- not a cash exchange place. You can generally look at an airport services map to figure out where they will be located. It's also a good word to learn in the native language in the country you are arriving in. When we've arrived early, sometimes shops are not open or there may not be as many amenities where the staff know English. The term "ATM" is not universally used.

Our credit union Visa debit card generally does not have any foreign transaction or ATM fees out of the country.

Asking for a 'Bancomat' on mainland Europe usually gets the required directions. In the UK - Cash Machine.

We opened a CapitolOne 360 checking account specifically for this trip as they do not charge ATM fees or Foreign fees when using ATM - just the standard conversion rate. Our trip is not until December - we are doing the Christmas Markets on AMASerena - Prague to Budapest.

We also have a Citibank American Airlines CC that has no foreign transaction fees that we will be using when using a credit card.

We have a Barclay Arrival card that's true chip and pin. Our experience was generally like yours. We did need to use the pin for automated kiosks at train stations and subways.

We have a USAA credit card which we were told was chip & pin. It worked everywhere we used it: from large stores, small bars, even unattended transit kiosks. However we were never asked to input our PIN; at the kiosk it was just accepted and at other places we just signed. Makes me wonder if it is a true chip & pin.

I inquired at a few places and the response was along the lines of, the machine knows it's an American card and tells me what to do.

Unless you have actually used a card to make a charge with a PIN, you can't tell for sure that your card is true chip and PIN. Specifically, CapitalOne's website says that their cards are NOT Chip & PIN:

Both Chip and PIN and Chip and Signature cards offer better fraud protection than traditional magnetic stripe cards. The only difference is that the Chip and PIN card requires you to enter a PIN at checkout while the Chip and Signature card only requires your signature. Good news!
Capital One chip cards will be Chip and Signature cards
, so there’s no additional PIN to remember.

Here is a recent article that details exactly which US-based credit cards are true Chip & PIN:

http://www.cardrates.com/advice/chip-and-pin-credit-cards/

[note that USAA isn't listed either]

Each of the 12 cards described has some limitation [e.g. membership or annual fee] but there is one other card that offers true Chip & PIN without any fees: the no-fee Barclay Arrival. Well, there is one trick to getting it: you have to apply for an Arrival Plus card, use it for the first year (while the annual fee is waived), then call to 'downgrade' to the no-fee Arrival card. Arrival Plus gives 2.05% back on all purchases; no-fee Arrival only gives 2% back on travel purchases (and 1% on all other) -- so I keep it for travel only.

Was just in Prague. We needed Czech Crowns, not euros. If you find a place that will take euros they will charge a huge exchange rate. Germany. Luxemburg and Paris-euros. London - pounds. We used our Capital One card for charing most things, no international fees. Beware, some smaller establishments and cafes have a minimum for credit card purchases.

You can use Euros in Switzerland with no issues, but the rate is not particularly good. However be aware it is very expensive here. $200 is virtually CHF200, which will buy you about 1.5 (perhaps 2) fairly decent dinners, without drinks, depending on where you eat. It is not uncommon for dinner for 2 with a couple of glasses of wine to be CHF150. Big Mac menu for lunch? $15.....

thanks. wow!!

I have a CapOne chip card and I spoke with Capital One and they said I should use my cash advance pin. The card would then function as a true chip & pin in Europe. The transactions would be credit transactions, not cash advances, I was assured. I will find out for sure in September.

When I talked to Capital One last month they told me it would be considered cash advances and fianance charges would start as soon as I made the transaction. Fees were high. So we didn't do it, instead used our ATM card. Wonder why you got different info.

Thank you all for the great advice.

We are going to Prague (pre-cruise) and then Budapest to Amsterdam (coming directly back to the states the same day).

Countries that we are visiting: Czech republic, Hungary, Austria, Germany and Netherlands.

It sounds as if ATM and fee-free credit card will work.

For the restrooms--coins or bills?

Thanks

Bill

I had my credit union give me a pre-loaded debit card that was NOT attached to my regular bank accounts just in case I was pick pocketed (fortunately I wasn't). When we landed in Ireland, I went directly to the ATM (while waiting for my luggage) and got Euros. My Chase United credit card (with chip) does not charge international fees and I used it in all the countries we were in (Ireland, the Netherlands, France, Switzerland, Germany) with no problems. All the US dollars I took sat in my wallet never touched.

For foreign travel we purposely each carry a credit card and an ATM card from different banks, in addition to usually each having some US cash and some left over Euros from the last trip.

Our primary ATM card is for a Charles Schwab savings account not linked to any other account. No other Charles Schwab account required, no minimum amount in account, no foreign transaction fee, reimbursement of local bank fees (perhaps a limit there, but we’ve never hit it). We fund it with about twice the amount we expect to use for an upcoming trip.

Our primary credit card is a SunTrust Travel MasterCard. No foreign transaction fee. 3% rebate on travel related expenses (plus as a good customer of the bank I get a 50% rebate bonus [ie total of 4.5% rebate] if my rebate is deposited into my regular bank account). This card also reimbursed me for Global Entry. My experiences at point of sale vary considerably. Most commonly the chip machine realizes the card is US issued and spits out a receipt for me to sign. Sometimes the chip machine asks for a PIN – even though this is a credit card and not a debit/ATM card, I use the PIN associated with my same bank ATM card - the bank has told me it is not supposed to work but it has worked every time (YMMV). Occasionally (less and less often) I am not asked for either a signature or a PIN – apparently, just as in the US, the merchant can set a (low) limit requiring no user input (I think the merchant is opting for speed over security, and is willing to accept some small losses as I think the merchant [versus the card issuer] is liable for any fraud in the absence of PIN or signature).

Merchants, especially owners, are usually willing to accept anything whose value they know if they have a financial incentive to do so – determine this BEFORE you eat that meal or drink that beer. I bought an item in Romania using a combination of 4 currencies (Euros, US$, outgoing Romanian currency and new Romanian currency [they were in the process of issuing new currency with a 10,000 to 1 difference]). Government entities (post offices, municipal buses) generally require local currency but some allow payment by credit card circumventing needing actual currency; some countries (eg Zimbabwe, Montenegro, Ecuador, etc) have no local currency and use one or more foreign currencies. Again YMMV.

If this is your first and perhaps only trip to Europe it may be comforting to have some local currency in pocket when you step off the airplane, but be aware that you are paying 5% or more for that comfort, versus using a no-fee ATM. As I write this the interbank rate is 1€ = US$1.152 and I get close to that rate with either ATM or Credit Card; WellsFargo is charging 1€ = US$1.215 for currency . I travel several months a year, and no way am I paying ~10% (convenience fees plus rebates) for “comfort”; that would cost me thousands of dollars in a relatively short period. Of course I have the comfort of maintaining a Euro balance in my pocket from previous trips (I loaded up last fall with a considerable amount of cash when the Euro was about 1€ = US$1.06 [i missed the drop to 1€ = US$1.04 in December]). Do keep small change in your pocket for toilets.

For the record I do NOT own stock in either Schwab or SunTrust. I like convenience, but not frittering away my money on excess fees over the years, means that I now have plenty of money to travel now. Your money, your choice.

USAA initially said they were offering a true chip and PIN. Problems arose and they no longer do so. Like almost all other US cc , it's chip and signature.

Here is a tip. Unless you have adequate Euros do not drive on a French toll road. The toll machines take chip and PIN or Euro. They don't give back change. So if you're sitting there with a 50 Euro bill to pay an 18 Euro toll, thanks for the contribution!