Sell me some Sunshine!

EBFURR

If we believed all the negative things that we read about the Sunshine we would have never set foot on that ship. But we like to form our own opinions so we booked her, and we are glad that we did! Our review on her can be found in our signature. :cool:

If we believed all the negative things that we read about the Sunshine we would have never set foot on that ship. But we like to form our own opinions so we booked her, and we are glad that we did! Our review on her can be found in our signature. :cool:

Loved that Sunshine review! We have a lot in common. Our first cruise was also in 1994 but on the Majesty of the Seas and was for our 12th anniversary and was our "second honeymoon." We love the ships of that era where the design emphasizes the ocean and the sea going experience rather than the latest gizmo or gadget. Those pictures are great and bring back memories even though we were never actually on that ship.

We love the look of the Sunshine. I suppose you can not only put lipstick on a pig, you can also put lipstick on a 21 year old beauty.

One more question. We are on the Sunshine out of Norfolk (first embarkation from there) Sunday, June 4. The planner says barding begins at 1:30 PM. Is that actually the case? RC used to say 1 PM but they actually started as early as 10:00 AM if the ship was cleared. This will make a difference since we are driving in. No need to get a super early start if we will be stuck in the terminal until the afternoon. On the other hand, the sooner we can start this party the happier we will be. ;p

When you filled out your forms, was there a place to select your check in time? We were able to choose 11:00-11:30 for our Sunshine cruise from Norfolk. This will be our third time sailing on Sunshine. We are going just for the ship. We loved our cruises to the Bahamas and Bermuda. I sure hope you have a great time!

I cruised on the Sunshine last year in March, during a prime Spring Break week (week before Easter). It was a different itinerary (8 day Eastern Caribbean, from Pt. Canaveral), but I truly didn't feel it was crowded. On sea days, you had to be up early to get a spot outside. The first sea day, I didn't make it out until around 11 am, and it was impossible to find a lounger. When I got out at around 9 am, I had no issue.

The Serenity Deck is amazing on the Sunshine, probably the best one I've seen on a Carnival ship. They offer a pool, and have a hot tub that overlooks the Lido Deck, and has great ocean views as well!

As others have stated, the ship has most of Carnival's current specialty restaurants. You can enjoy dinner at Cucina and JiJi's for a $15 upcharge, or can get lunch there for free (Cucina hosts the pasta bar, and JiJi's serves the Mongolian Wok during Lunch time).

One of the biggest changes made was adding in a few new areas of staterooms, which cut down on public space. This is why the theater is now the liquid lounge, and doubles as the nightclub, and why the comedy club is so small. This leads to some of the biggest complaints about the Sunshine. Seems if you want to guarantee the best view of a show in the lounge, you have to get there early, especially in the comedy lounge (Limelight Lounge), as some seating only gives you a view of the comedian on a TV Screen.

Overall, I enjoyed my cruise on the Sunshine. There are a few things that have changed due to its renovations, but if you can see past those, I think you will have a great time as well!

One reason we book the sunshine...is if we need a mini vacation, going out of charleston is a 3hr drive for us. The Sunshine is one of the bigger ships that leave from Charleston. The lay out of the ship is a bit broken up (meaning to get to dinner you can't go straight thru ship, you either go up a floor or down) that is a little obstacle to get use to...after day 1 you will master it.

They have gotten rid of the extra pool after dry dock to make room for some of the 2.0 features (which I love). Food...you will never go hungry and you have so many wonderful options, this is important to me. Everything you can think of...Steakhouse, JiJI Japanese, Mongolian Wok, Italian restaurant, pizza center, havana's cuban food for breakfast and lunch, guy's burgers, main dining room, buffet, blue iguana, the taste (sampling)...What else could you ask for. Not to say the 2.0 features are great...like blue iguana tequila place, coffee place, redfrog pub, red frog rum bar sports square (rope course), serentiy (with awesome waterfall), alchemy bar (my favorite), and I think a sports bar. What more can you ask for.

I like Carnival because it is the fun ship. I have taken Royal Carribean a couple of times, but if you want to have fun- go to deck parties, dance all hours of the night, let your hair down, an eat...This is a good choice. But keep in mind I always judge for myself, some people will never be happy...for me a cruise is a cruise and I am going to make the most out of it, one way or another. Good Luck

One more question. We are on the Sunshine out of Norfolk (first embarkation from there) Sunday, June 4. The planner says barding begins at 1:30 PM. Is that actually the case? RC used to say 1 PM but they actually started as early as 10:00 AM if the ship was cleared. This will make a difference since we are driving in. No need to get a super early start if we will be stuck in the terminal until the afternoon. On the other hand, the sooner we can start this party the happier we will be. ;p

While I have not sailed out of Norfolk yet, the FL ports list boarding times at 1:30 and they usually start boarding at 1130 ish. I would imagine Norfolk is the same but friends who have sailed from here report a huge log jam in the morning. Last I checked parking is several blocks away by the baseball stadium and they shuttle you to the pier.

The port is in the heart of downtown Norfolk and Tidewater VA is famous for its horrible traffic. DH works across the street from the terminal and doesn't go in until close to 9 to avoid the majority of the traffic. Of course I am thrilled to be sailing our favorite ship from our home port in October - I am loving the idea of dropping DH at work, running to my office for the morning and going back to his garage and walking on board at 2 or 3 pm!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You're on the first sailing out of Norfolk. It leaves Charleston on June 3rd and will deadhead to Norfolk for the cruise on the 4th. As it's the first cruise of the season from there, I'd like to warn you that the port will most like be a cluster-mess that day. Pack your patience.

Once on the ship, your cruise should be wonderful and cabins should be ready right away.

We liked Sunshine a lot. Sure there's a bottleneck near Guy's and Blue Iguana as she's a bit narrower than the standard Conquest class. And maybe it's a bit more crowded than other ships in the fleet but not by some crazy amount. But in our mind all of that is offset by all the great new features (Serenity, restaurants, etc.) and the appealing more understated decor. Enjoy.

Cruised on the Sunshine 4x times and am going on her again this September for a northern Premier cruise out of NY. When we first got on her we hated the layout but by day 2 or 3 we fell in love with her. Cheers and have a great cruise.

• 3 weeks later...

Latest update: We booked the balcony guarantee, which our first attempt at a guarantee but the price was too good to refuse. We apparently timed it right because the guarantees went away and the prices started to go up. We sail Sunday (3 days!) and we just got our cabin assignment on Tuesday. We got a Cloud 9 Spa balcony on deck 12. We are very happy with that. Apparently the sailing is now sold out. We continue to research the ship, port of Norfolk, etc. in anticipation. We are 95% packed and ready to roll. Driving to Norfolk Sunday morning and hopefully parking across from the terminal.

Thanks to all who gave opinions and info. We believe that the positives greatly outweigh any negatives for us and our style of cruising. We are looking forward to our first Carnival experience. We will post our experiences when we get back.

Have a wonderful cruise. Looking forward to hearing what your thoughts were.

We are booked on her in Dec. This will be our 3rd on Carnival, 1st on Sunshine. We've never been disappointed.

Thanks for the comments. What areas seem crowded? Is it the main pool, serenity, the show venues, dining? We have watched a lot of videos and the ship looks fantastic to us. My wife seems to be more excited about this than our upcoming Royal cruises. I have to say that I am pumped as well.

Main pool and Serenity are crowded. Most loungers filled at 8:30am.

I just went on the Sunshine (my 8th Carnival cruise) and she was my favorite ship of all. I definitely did not feel like the crowding was any worse than on any Carnival cruise; some areas were laid out better than normal actually (the buffet) so less crowding there. I think if you look for something bad, you can find it. If i had focused on being crowded or worried about that, then maybe that is what I would have seen. I also cruise for the ocean and I have never been on any of the RC ships for that reason. I want to be able to see, hear, and experience the ocean as much as possible while onboard. Personally, I think you will have a wonderful time!

We sail Sunday (3 days!) and we just got our cabin assignment on Tuesday. We got a Cloud 9 Spa balcony on deck 12. We are very happy with that.
Enjoy the ship and especially the three deck tiered Serenity area. Also, in case you didn't know already, I had read on a previous thread that even though you are in a Spa balcony, you do not get the included access like those that paid for it since you got your cabin via a guarantee. You do of course get the included upgraded cabin amenities.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

Enjoy the ship and especially the three deck tiered Serenity area. Also, in case you didn't know already, I had read on a previous thread that even though you are in a Spa balcony, you do not get the included access like those that paid for it since you got your cabin via a guarantee. You do of course get the included upgraded cabin amenities.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

I read the same about the spa access. We would not really expect that since we did not pay for it. We are very happy with the location since we figured on spending a lot of time in the serenity area. The Elimis products are a nice bonus though. We would have been satisfied with any balcony cabin but this was a nice treat. We often book inside cabins on the shorter Bahamas cruises so this is way more than we hoped for. So far we are liking our Carnival experience!

Just my opinion, I would choose another ship to give Carnival a try. I have been on 12 or 13 CC cruises and enjoyed everyone, EXCEPT the Sunshine...it was my least favorite ship and I have no desire to ever board her again. Ship is crowded, poorly designed, IMO dirty, and did I say crowded. Not the be completely negative the food and staff are good.

This - we sailed her when she was the Destiny & much preferred the layout before the so called "upgrades." The only reason I would remotely consider sailing her again is for JiJi's (which I missed out on but have heard such great things I would like the opportunity to go).

Latest update: We booked the balcony guarantee, which our first attempt at a guarantee but the price was too good to refuse. We apparently timed it right because the guarantees went away and the prices started to go up. We sail Sunday (3 days!) and we just got our cabin assignment on Tuesday. We got a Cloud 9 Spa balcony on deck 12. We are very happy with that. Apparently the sailing is now sold out. We continue to research the ship, port of Norfolk, etc. in anticipation. We are 95% packed and ready to roll. Driving to Norfolk Sunday morning and hopefully parking across from the terminal.

Thanks to all who gave opinions and info. We believe that the positives greatly outweigh any negatives for us and our style of cruising. We are looking forward to our first Carnival experience. We will post our experiences when we get back.

Have a GREAT cruise!! Looking forward to your opinions when you get back. ENJOY!!! :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

Hey boys and girls. We are back. when I get time I will post my experience and observations. Hint: there was some really good and some pretty bad. Not to spoil the ending but we would go back again.

I did not like the Sunshine. My least favorite Carnival ship so far. And one of the main reason is that there is a hallway we walked several times to get where we were going that had no outside view at all. It looked like we were walking through a crew portion of the ship or something. When I think of that ship, that is all I picture is that hallway. (But I am claustrophobic, so that may be why) I can't even remember what the lobby looked like. It was crowded and we could never get chairs on the lido deck.

I read the mixed reviews on the Sunshine and we've been going down to Baltimore to sail on the Pride rather than the Sunshine while it's in NYC, but we wanted to do Canada again and so that meant the Sunshine.

The thing that bothered me most was overcrowding issues. I found there was an aft wrap available and figured we could just retreat [emoji41]

I did like what I was reading about food options so I'm getting excited about our September cruise. We don't do shows much so that's not going to be a problem.

Carnival has cut back on bar servers and we're not happy about that. We had several chats with a bartender on our last Pride cruise and she implied that it was because of Cheers. They just don't want to serve as many drinks with so many already paid for - which makes sense from a bottom line POV.

So all in all we are looking forward to this cruise, but in the future I think we will be sailing more with Viking. Lot more money for sure but such a wonderful experience and only 930 other guests [emoji7]