Escape Western Caribbean Best Port to Stay on Ship

acharris1

We'll be on the Escape in July for the Western Caribbean schedule, Honduras, Belize, Costa Maya, and Cozumel. We usually like to stay on the ship for one port and ride the slides, etc. and maybe just hop off for a quick bite and a little shopping, more of a relaxing day. Which port would be the best to do this? For our excursions, we like snorkeling. I hear Honduras has great snorkeling.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Do you like historical tours? If not, consider staying on board at Costa Maya. We did a fabulous Mayan ruins tour there (Dzibanche), but if that isn't your thing it would be a good port to skip. The excursions are mostly 30 minutes to 2 hours away from the port, but there is a self-contained shopping/pool/bar/coffee shop area right at the port, so you could get off for an hour or two and still have plenty of time on the ship.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Forums mobile app

We're doing this itinerary in a little over two weeks and are planning on staying on the boat while we're in Costa Maya. Nothing really caught our eye while there are things in the other ports we really wanted to do, plus it'll be a nice little rest since we're going with our two kiddos.

if your family likes water slides, i HIGHLY RECOMMEND the Maya Lost Kingdom water park at the Costa Maya stop. Its only about 2 years old now, and the slides are incredible. there is also a lazy river, a pool, locker/shower facilities and food. Its walking distance from teh pier. at the time we went, the price thru NCL was the same as at the park - that may have changed. But we LOVED it (and we are adults!!!).

cozumel doesnt have much unless you like shopping. I do recommend the excursion to Tulum, tho, but its a very long day.

Belize has amazing snorkeling as well.

This is incorrect as it pertains to NCL. You do not go to Belize City, but to NCL's private island and the snorkeling there is not very good at all.

The best snorkeling on the trip, even with a stop at Belize City is Roatan, toward the west end of the island.

We'll be on the Escape in July for the Western Caribbean schedule, Honduras, Belize, Costa Maya, and Cozumel. We usually like to stay on the ship for one port and ride the slides, etc. and maybe just hop off for a quick bite and a little shopping, more of a relaxing day. Which port would be the best to do this? For our excursions, we like snorkeling. I hear Honduras has great snorkeling.

You would not miss much in Belize.

It's only NCL's private island.

We are on the June 10 sailing, planning a ship day for Belize (Harvest Caye). Maybe get of for a few hours to check out the area, but basically a ship day.

Now if we were actually going into Belize that would be a different story.

I did this itinerary last year on the Getaway. We had excursions at every port but Costa Maya. We just got off the ship for a bit to walk around the port area. There are shops, a pool and some restaurants. We were only off the ship for about an hour.

Did this itinerary on the Getaway in September. We went to to the "Boardwalk" in Costa Maya, had lunch and drank some beers right on the beach. It was a real pleasant day and the beach was beautiful. On the Escape this Saturday, we'll probably pass on Harvest Caye in Belize.

You can rent golf carts in Costa Maya and drive to the town. We usually stop at the local stores and buy our beer and liquor since it is pretty cheap and ride around drinking with the occasional stops at the beach.

We're doing this itinerary in a little over two weeks and are planning on staying on the boat while we're in Costa Maya. Nothing really caught our eye while there are things in the other ports we really wanted to do, plus it'll be a nice little rest since we're going with our two kiddos.

Check out Maya Chan.... http://costamayabeachresort.com

I think your kids would like it

Harvest Caye, best of both worlds, easy walk off the ship, check it out and come back. Unless your a pool/sun person not much to do except spend money.

Three different posters are all staying on the ship instead of checking out the pool at Harvest Caye, which has got to be 25 times the size of the postage stamp size pools on the Escape.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

Three different posters are all staying on the ship instead of checking out the pool at Harvest Caye, which has got to be 25 times the size of the postage stamp size pools on the Escape.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

Different people have different priorities. We went to Harvest Caye in January and didn't think much of it. Too hot, not enough shade, no snorkeling, and you have to pay for food/drinks. I'm glad we went once, but we'll probably stay on the ship next time we go to Belize with NCL.

Now Belize City is a different story. I will always get off the ship in BC. So many different things you can do on your own or with a private tour/excursion!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Forums mobile app

We did this itinerary last fall on Getaway and found something fun at each stop. We got a brief t NMour from a local in Roatan and had an amazing tray of seafood (for $42!!)...we had a private tour in Belize City - but the ship goes to their private island now. In Cozumel and Costa Maya we researched beaches and had two glorious days. It depends on what you like but I'd probably cut the private island short. 6c299e4c94f30dc95c8e8c809eda52cd.jpg

Sent from my XT1575 using Forums mobile app

I'm doing this itinerary on the Getaway in November and I've done it before on a different line.

I'm staying onboard in Belize.

Why would I get off a ship with a lot to do complete with free food and drinks, to walk that long haul to a man made fake beach where I have to pay for everything? I don't understand it and yes, I know many people say it is beautiful and all that but of the 4, that's the one I'm not going to.