Shoes for Formal Nights

RSchroeder987

Maybe I'll give up my stilettos when I was 29, 30 years ago. In the meantime, I'll enjoy wearing those red-soled lovelies and will wear them for as long as I can. My husband sure isn't complaining!

I am a shoe lover (at least that's what they call me at DSW because thanks for keeping us in business would seem tacky) and I'm a bit jealous of your red sole Louboutins. If I had them, I would surely "suck it up and wear them". My husband would also love them.

The op asked a question about flats or dressy flip flop type shoes and my answer is though my stiletto days are over, I would still wear a heel with a cocktail type dress. You can find cute kitten heel sandals on Amazon by Nine West Leisa in a variety of colors . Louise et Cie Esperance is a lower heel that are very comfortable I love both these have walked the ship in the evening all night.

There are cute stacked heel dressier type shoes. I am thinking of getting a pair of Sam Edelman for my upcoming cruise.

Thirty years ago I was thirty two, but I can still rock a pair of stilettos if I wanted.

Have fun everyone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

From a guys point of view... Flats or Flipflops with a pretty dress for a women is like wearing Birkenstock's or Flipflops with a suit and tie for a man.

I agree. I find myself (as a woman), noticing other women's shoes, more than their dress. Just shoot me if I ever wear old lady shoes. Lol. The shoes MAKE the outfit.

Edited by champagne123
xxxxx

I've sometimes been in the library on S Class ships with my husband and people watching the elevators go by. I've often longed for someone other than my husband to be with me so we could do a shoe review...

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahah

One more comment. I religiously use Body Glide on my feet, especially when travelling and walking so much,and on work days too (no hose). Never, ever get blisters. Feet feel great! This stuff is a life saver. If you're not familiar with it, it is an anti-chafing balm, with the style and consistency of a deodorant stick.

I am one of those women who wear "old lady shoes" aka ballet flats. Some of us have back issues that make it impossible for us to wear any type of heel and compound that with balance issues and the answer is flats. I wear them with floor length gowns and cocktail dresses and always feel elegant.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

IMO I think if you are going to take the time to dress up in a cocktail dress, you should finish the look completely. I have been to a few KY Derbys and have seen many women who are wearing beautiful dresses, very expensive hats, and you look down, and they have horrible flip flops on. :( The flip flops you pictured would just take away from your cocktail dress. There are many dressy sandals with lower heals that would finish your look without causing an evening of pain. :)

David Tate makes some very nice event shoes with lower heels. (just an example)

What ever you decide to do, enjoy dressing up, and enjoy your cruise.

I am one of those women who wear "old lady shoes" aka ballet flats.

I've never thought of ballet flats as old lady shoes. In fact, black ballet flats are one of the few pairs of flats I own because they're timeless and elegant.

One more comment. I religiously use Body Glide on my feet, especially when travelling and walking so much,and on work days too (no hose). Never, ever get blisters. Feet feel great! This stuff is a life saver. If you're not familiar with it, it is an anti-chafing balm, with the style and consistency of a deodorant stick.

Thanks for the info on Body Glide. I use to use a Dr. Scholes product that is no longer made. This sounds like just the thing I need.

We heard Alaska was more casual and DH decided only at the last minute to take his tux. Turned out to be really glad he did as we had a invite to the Captain's table.

We always do formal still on chic nights and are never out of place.

Dress up and enjoy!

I'm glad you enjoyed your evening at the Captain's table. But the Captain's table is gone now. They now do dinner in specialty restaurant or Luminae with officers. When we had dinner with officers I worn jeans and a short sleeve shirt.

Our last cruise friend wore tux with tails. I was in jeans an a long sleeve shirt on Evening Chic night.

As to shoes. Bring the high heels as backup. Wear the saddles they will be fine. As to tux, suit... it is your cruise and your celebrating. Rent them if you wish, but not needed.

When did you last cruise? On our January Australia cruise neither the Captain nor any of his officers dined in Luminae. We also dined at his table on one of the elegant nights, all but one of the gentlemen wore Tuxes. Maybe this is an Australia thing but we were not the only Americans at the table. One gentleman wore just a sport coat without a tie and looked, out of place, but I am sure he felt comfortable.

Sorry OzKieiJJ, I am old lady but I wouldn't be caught dead in those shoes. They scream very old lady.

Colombiangirl , those aren't dressy enough for a cocktail or evening gown.

matured, I like these shoes and would work well with a cocktail dress.

Capsplsce, those are gorgeous. I would get a nose bleed from them being so high.

Good luck on your search.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I say ... forget about trying to look right for others, wear what you want with your dress, and when you look in the mirror and are pleased with what you see, then you know you made the right choice. At the end of the day it's your holiday, not anyone else's, I am sure you will all look amazing. Have a lovely holiday and anniversary.

For my two penneth, I always wear court shoes (some times open toe) with a 2-3 inch stilleto shoe. The fact that it is a full shoe means the straps don't cut in and I feel stable on my feet. It helps that most of the ship is carpeted so your heel is not sliding around under you.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Sorry OzKieiJJ, I am old lady but I wouldn't be caught dead in those shoes. They scream very old lady.

Colombiangirl , those aren't dressy enough for a cocktail or evening gown.

matured, I like these shoes and would work well with a cocktail dress.

Capsplsce, those are gorgeous. I would get a nose bleed from them being so high.

Good luck on your search.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seriously? I wore them to my daughter's wedding and they looked gorgeous with my gown!3df25cf5705d53f95f3eff1dadebb448.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Forums mobile app

I don't wear heels, in fact, I work from home and live in Florida, so my main footwear is flip flops year round. However, since I'm planning on wearing several nice cocktail dresses on our cruise, I wanted some nice shoes that would also be comfy. I did lots of research and kept seeing rave reviews for a model of Naturalizer heels called Danya (4 inch heels!) After ordering I'm SO happy! I can actually run and dance in these, I kept forgetting I was wearing heels. They are available here and there, I got mine on Amazon. I highly recommend trying these, and I'm a clutz with lupus nerve pain in my feet who never barely even wear sneakers...👍

Love all the shoe inspiration!

My dress order was cancelled, so I'm back to the drawing board. Currently sitting at home with 6 different gowns waiting for the hubby to get home to help me start zipping them up and picking a winner.

Incidentally, Amazon is now doing free returns on almost all of their clothes, and they've got some really great dresses at a great price. The ones I've unwrapped today are a nice quality, and all under $70. I'm never going real shopping again.

Or I suppose I could pick a shoe first and then go from there. :)