Accessible cabin - Feeling bad

knsky

We are assigned to an accessible cabin for our December cruise, so I sent the email below to NCL. We did not ask for any upgrade/special treatment...just hate taking the space away from someone/family that needs it! Is it usual to be assigned to an accessible cabin under the inside guarantee category?

Good afternoon:

We are assigned to XXXX for December XX, 2017 cruise. The last name is XXXXX. We want to be clear that we DO NOT need an accessible cabin so if anyone needs it, we are happy to be reassigned. We DO NOT want to take the space knowing that someone may miss out on a trip of the life time because there was no cabin that can accommodate them! Please feel free to reach out with any questions or concerns.

This is the reply I received.

Thank you for contacting the Access Desk.

We are unable to change your stateroom at this time, since there are no staterooms in the category which you purchase that can sleep 4 guests.

If you still wish to change your stateroom, please contact your travel agent for assistance.

It seems very odd that you already got a cabin assigned to you for a cruise in December if you selected a guarantee cabin. Did you use a TA when you booked? If so I would reach out to them. They may have a better person to contact. It would seem like they should keep you in the guarantee cabin until the date gets closer in the event that they need the room for someone that actually needs it.

I hear you on this one. I would not want to take away that cabin from someone that needs it. If you do not have a TA I would call NCL up instead of email. Maybe resolutions or reservations numbers. Just tell them that you'd prefer to keep the guarantee longer in case someone needs the room.

Looks like NCL would rather give you the only remaining quad HC cabin in your category than bump you up to a higher category. They'll make more money by selling the cabin the higher category cabin rather than the lower category HC.

AND - if you prefer a non-HC cabin I would suggest you check the online available cabins every few days. One will open up....

...oops...just realized you have a GTY and you can not switch cabins. Okay, keep an eye on pricing. It might go down for regular insides that you can pick your choice.

Sadly, NCL customer service is like so many others. They did not fully READ your email. You did not ask to switch, but instead pointed out the HC issue. Stupid,eh?

Four people in a HC room might be less than desirable. Many of those have "open showers".

It seems very odd that you already got a cabin assigned to you for a cruise in December if you selected a guarantee cabin. . . .

Why? It is not at all unusual for NCL to assign guarantee cabins as soon as you book.

Thank you for your reply. It will be tight but with one leaving for college...I'm trying hard to be wise about the cabin BUT I do not want to be in cabin that someone really needs. I rather pay a bit extra to know that I did not take away an opportunity for someone else...when their cabin options are much more limited:(.

Thank you for your reply. It will be tight but with one leaving for college...I'm trying hard to be wise about the cabin BUT I do not want to be in cabin that someone really needs. I rather pay a bit extra to know that I did not take away an opportunity for someone else...when their cabin options are much more limited:(.

Nobodys needed it yet.

Most folk Know to book early if you nead a HC cabin.

Why? It is not at all unusual for NCL to assign guarantee cabins as soon as you book.

I was not aware that they would give you a cabin right away. It just seems odd to me that they would give you one before final payment. What would prevent you from canceling and rebooking the same category until you get what you like? Also just a little surprised that they would toss someone in a HC cabin that did not need it so far out.

That whole process does not seem like it would be best practice, but then again what would I know. I do not run a cruise line. They probably have their reasons and that is most likely due to what a few others have said. Would rather not upgrade.

I was not aware that they would give you a cabin right away. It just seems odd to me that they would give you one before final payment. What would prevent you from canceling and rebooking the same category until you get what you like? Also just a little surprised that they would toss someone in a HC cabin that did not need it so far out.

That whole process does not seem like it would be best practice, but then again what would I know. I do not run a cruise line. They probably have their reasons and that is most likely due to what a few others have said. Would rather not upgrade.

Not that far out.

This cruise has been for sale for over a year.

Can't rebook the same category . 4 passenger rooms are that cat. are Sold Out.

What a shame that NCL would assign a HC stateroom with at least 6 mths to go. My daughter is in a wheelchair and now I understand why you have to book so far out, NCL gives the cabins away. How nice it would be to not have to make vacation plans 1-2 years in advance. I am venting at the cruiseline, not the OP. You have done an honorable thing and you should not feel bad. It's just frustrating that NCL is so inconsiderate of the disabled.

Funny I had the opposite experience.

I've been in and out of a wheelchair for years.

When booking a year or moreout I try to get an accessible cabin, nearly impossible and almost always at a higher price.

Regarding the assumption the cruise line puts forth regarding being "bumped" out of the cabin if the cabin is needed. I among others on here aren't too sure this is done, probably more of a 'scare' tactic.

I have asked on two nameless cruise lines (that allow the honor system) if the rooms were indeed taken by people who need them. One time I was told "I can't check that" the other time the answer was a too speedy "yes all the rooms are booked to those who need the room" . So who knows the truth.

OP, have you by chance done a mock booking to see if there are any cabins that holds 4 in the category you guaranteed in? If there is, then I would call your TA and ask to be changed to one of them. If there isn't any available, then I understand why they might have put you in that cabin, because it was the last available cabin that holds 4.

NCL assigned us, on a last minute booking, an OX to 2 of us a few years ago, it was an accessible on the Jewel - that the NCL call center agent said they're not needed, etc. etc. and we knew about getting bumped or re-assigned. Embarkation & checked in at the pier - it was that section behind the Blue Lagoon then (now, O'Sheehan's on deck 8) and we ended up sleeping there for 1 night only.

Day 2 after the CC Meet & Mingle, we got back to our room in the mid afternoon & got a call, they needed our room and was wondering if we minded switching, etc. with someone that badly needed the facilities. We would be exchanging for a balcony instead on deck 9, midship - room steward will have it ready for us. No problem, told her & head of Guest Services came up 30 minutes later herself instead of sending one of her staff to hand up the keycards, help us pack and move our luggage - luckily, we travel light & pack fast and so 45 minutes later, we're in a balcony ... for a special upgrade/exchange for the duration of the sailing.

The other couple downgraded (apparently, even at boarding time - they didn't know or had a need for the accessible stateroom ... so, even our obstructed oceanview with the designation would do). Guest services onboard were very thankful to us and appreciative as the sailing was 100% full and sold out.

What I am surprised is that NCL would assign this (sub) special category as GTY so far out in advance ... I don't have our notes, but we booked probably less than 2 months out, and, like OP, I knew and questioned NCL over the phone then. Those specific staterooms are usually blocked and set aside, not available for "regular" booking unless ... well, maybe not.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for everyone's kind reply and advice. We received an email stating that it is noted that we are happy to move if another passenger (family) needs the space! So, I am happy!