Zuiderdam Aft-Facing Suites

TOURMAN857

2nd time on HAL, and first time on Zuiderdam. My question: Does anyone have an experience to share concerning an Aft-Facing corner Neptune Suite???? This will be our first experience in a Neptune Suite and it's an 11-Day Partial Panama Canal transit next March. Any experiences/advice would be helpful and appreciated. Thanks.

5190 and 5191 are our favorites cabins!!

The inside area is the largest of the aft corners and the veranda could hold 50 people. Largest veranda on the ship and completely covered for privacy and less heat from the sun in the canal area.

We booked our first aft-wrap Neptune for your cruise and highly recommend the location. I concur with earlier post regarding 5191 and 5190 (been in both) as they have huge verandas. The other place you should go is the bow for the approach to the canal. They will announce it. They have coffee and local pastry (name eludes me) as you approach (it'll be early). You'll want to take advantage of your veranda to watch the locks in action. I would recommend the starboard side suites if available as the tug-trains pulling the ship will be on that side as you enter. I'm basing this on the old locks. I don't know if HAL will start using the new locks which probably cost more.

Warning: The aft-wraps are extremely addictive.

We booked our first aft-wrap Neptune for your cruise and highly recommend the location. I concur with earlier post regarding 5191 and 5190 (been in both) as they have huge verandas. The other place you should go is the bow for the approach to the canal. They will announce it. They have coffee and local pastry (name eludes me) as you approach (it'll be early). You'll want to take advantage of your veranda to watch the locks in action. I would recommend the starboard side suites if available as the tug-trains pulling the ship will be on that side as you enter. I'm basing this on the old locks. I don't know if HAL will start using the new locks which probably cost more.

Warning: The aft-wraps are extremely addictive.

Ditto. Panama buns are available at breakfast in the Lido Market. Attend the cooking demo the day before to see how they look as they will be mixed in with all of the other pastries in the Lido Market.

Panama-Buns.jpg?i=9150560

Okay -- we are not fans of any aft suite.

Too far to get to Neptune Lounge.

For me, the issue depends on the cruise you are taking plus which deck you are on. We love the deck 5 cabins (aft-wrap) on the Zuiderdam and her sister ships. These are great for scenic cruises and if you wish to host a party or two.

On the other hand, the Neptunes near the Neptune Lounge are a bit larger and the convenience is great. I also have found the room stewards to be a bit better on these cabins.

Such problems!!

I know that I'm in the minority but I also do not like the aft location. We had an aft Neptune suite on our partial transit about 1.5 years ago. It was a free upgrade and we were initially thrilled. We always book midship and I found that the movement in the aft location was much greater than mid ship. It did not rock me to sleep...it actually kept me up. Since that time we stick to midship and we're happy sailors!

Helen

• 2 weeks later...

Ever since we were fortunate enough to have an aft corner....5191....we haven't gone back to anything else... It spoiled us totally as we are cruisers who really enjoy spending all of our waking our....and some sleeping hours too....out on our deck, we don't cruise for the social interaction as many do.....cannot wait for our next cruise but with the world situation as it is these days, im a little apprehensive about booking one real soon.....We have done the Panama Canal partial transit four times because we like the ports that are usually included on that trip....the aft corner is perfect for that cruise.....

We were in Cabin 6177, a Neptune aft wraparound, on Zuiderdam on the April, 2017 transatlantic. Even though there were a few stormy days, the motion did not bother us. However, we are not prone to motion sickness. This Neptune Suite seems to be among the smallest of the Neptunes, but the large veranda was great. It is a long walk to the Neptune Lounge, but the other perks such as the 5 PM hors d'oeurvres, priority embarkation and Pinnacle Grill breakfast were great. We were traveling with another couple who were not in a Neptune, about we could order 5 PM snacks for four. We would have a glass, or two, of wine before going to dinner. We were drinking wine we brought on board in Fort Lauderdale.

Three years ago we did a transit of the Panama Canal. It was a bright, sunny day and I spent most of the time in the bow area running from side to side. I wanted to have some shade. The aft facing suite will probably give you shade (if it is sunny) and a great view of where you have been. I would still want to spend some time in the front of the ship.

We were in our first aft wrap Neptune Suite last December. We didn't get the larger veranda on deck 5 but chose to be on deck 7. It was fine ..better than fine,for the 2 of us. The walk to the Neptune Lounge was not at all that far, to us, and the Lido was very convenient. We are spoiled for any other cabin now! We loved the "different" motion and the veranda. We specifically chose this same cabin type for our Caribbean cruise next year. So happy to get it! The room is slightly smaller but the veranda more than makes up for it. Enjoy!

• 1 year later...

We did the Panama Canal 11 day from FLL in 4180, the starboard side wraparound Neptune Suite. Suite is smaller than the normal NS and without a dressing area, but we enjoy the balcony so this was wonderful for us. Long hike to the Neptune Lounge but straight up to the Lido deck. We did not find that being at the stern was a determent. Going through the Canal locks we could literally reach out and touch the sides, say hello to the tug drivers since we were on the lower deck. Sofa is on the same wall as the TV so you have to sit in a chair or bed to watch it. We would do it again and will on Koningsdam in NS 4184 in December 2018.

An Aft suite on either side of the ship will allow you to see the "mules" in action. Back when the canal first opened, they actually used mules to guide the ships through the locks. Later, they were replaced by electric locomotives powered by a 3rd rail, similar to subway trains. They do NOT pull the ship through the locks. There are locomotives on both sides of the ship and they attach 2 steel cables to both sides of the ship and they keep the ship centered in the narrow locks. With many ships having only inches of space on either side, ships don't have the ability to horizontally maneuver inside the locks. The "mules" (the original name has stuck) keep the ship centered and the ship uses its own propulsion, with strict guidance from the canal pilot, to move through the locks. An aft cabin really provides a great view of how the lock doors work. In the new, larger locks of the canal expansion, because the locks are so much bigger, both length and width, they use tugs at the bow and stern to keep the ships centered in the lock. This has proved to be a problem because ships are scraping the rubber "defenses" (bumpers) on the sides of the locks.

------An aft cabin really provides a great view of how the lock doors work. In the new, larger locks of the canal expansion, because the locks are so much bigger, both length and width, they use tugs at the bow and stern to keep the ships centered in the lock. This has proved to be a problem because ships are scraping the rubber "defenses" (bumpers) on the sides of the locks.

At the next port after the canal, you will see the crew with their 20-foot paint rollers repairing the finish on the hull. One white Princess ship had a small army of painters touching up the scrapes from "riding the rails" of the canal.

Love the aft staterooms for the Panama Canal.

• 1 month later...
At the next port after the canal, you will see the crew with their 20-foot paint rollers repairing the finish on the hull. One white Princess ship had a small army of painters touching up the scrapes from "riding the rails" of the canal.

Love the aft staterooms for the Panama Canal.

:)We will be getting on Koningsdam the day you get off. We are in SB4184 (aft corner) for the Christmas cruise. We enjoyed our SB4180 on Zuiderdam through the Panama Canal back in Feb18. Don't know that we will be able to go back to regular Neptune Suites. :D

We had a 4th deck aft corner on the Zuiderdam for the Panama canal cruise. It was magnificent. I can't imagine moving from that balcony during the locks. The view was too amazing.

We didn't move from the balcony except to refill our Sangria glasses.;p It was an amazing day.

Are the deck five aft wraps bigger with better cover on Eurodam as well? We currently have a deck seven aft wrap booked and are curious if we should investigate the possibilities of moving to deck five.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Are the deck five aft wraps bigger with better cover on Eurodam as well? We currently have a deck seven aft wrap booked and are curious if we should investigate the possibilities of moving to deck five.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

There is a website "halfacts" which has pictures.

Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam have different configurations than the Vista class.

HAL added extra cabins and took away the large deck five aft wraps.

Personally, I think the best aft wraps on ED/NAM are on deck eight if you're looking for cover and space.

The big draw back to the deck eights is deck nine is the Lido.