Tipping Cheers

fozzy1975

We don't tip extra, it's already included. Plus, it's only a drink not a meal. Why would someone tip more than 10 or 15% on a beer or glass of wine?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I own a restaurant, can I be honest, no one tips 10% anymore. You would be considered a cheap skate. As soon as a guest breaks out the calculator, the server knows they are in trouble. Average tips are 18-25%, this is not Europe. I would never leave change including a cup of coffee. I will always leave at least a dollar.

I own a restaurant, can I be honest, no one tips 10% anymore. You would be considered a cheap skate. As soon as a guest breaks out the calculator, the server knows they are in trouble. Average tips are 18-25%, this is not Europe. I would never leave change including a cup of coffee. I will always leave at least a dollar.

So your saying that if I order a glass of wine for $15, that I should tip anywhere between $2.70 to $3.75?? Once again it's NOT a meal.

If you truly feel that tipping extra is unnecessary, then don't. Cruise wait staff are used to it and won't bat an eye. However, don't get mad when I'm sitting next to you getting my drinks faster and fuller because I felt their time and demeanor was worth an extra dollar or so.

We always tip additionally. At least $1 per drink. The calculated tip amount is only 15%. Plus the drinks on the ship are reasonably priced, start flaming now, but they are the same we pay at any standard bar or restaurant, some being actually cheaper on the ship with said tip and tax already included. So I try to do basically what we would do at home. The difference is we wouldn't purchase that much at home on any given week, or even month, hahahaha...so it SEEMS like a lot. But this is vacation. like someone said above, would you leave .90 cents on a $6 beer at home? I personally don't think that is acceptable, and a dollar isn't much better, but it is a least better.....if you don't want to tip extra, don't. But don't try to look for justification....if you feel it is ok, then you feel it is ok. Go with your own gut....

$6.25 for a domestic beer is not standard where I'm from.

My point is the individual bartender gets a tip for each drink, 15% of that particular drink, not that you pay additional each drink. My experience on NCL was the bartenders seemed to like the auto 15%, I bet normally bartenders get less then that on cruise ships either due to amount of Europeans (not use to tipping), people having that mentality of "this is costing me so much already" or on these short party cruises budget cruises.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I got your point. The individual bartender does not get an auto tip on CCL. If I go on a 5-day cruise and Cheers is $250 for the cruise my total would be $287. The $37 I assume gets split between all of the bartenders and that's all they get unless I tip extra. I could drink $1,000 worth of alcohol and that $37 is all they get unless I tip additional.

So glad I'm European! All this tipping math goes straight over my head. At least the bartender will just shrug their shoulders after I leave, if I don't tip, when I thank them politely in my best English accent ;)

when in Paris? I know what the tipping culture is where I travel. Japan and Australia, no tipping. In Europe I probably tipped more than the locals and that's OK for me. If I had a 50 Euro dinner, I would tip 5 Euros. I believe Europeans should comply with U.S. tipping standards. Our servers generally earn less than minimum wage and depend on tips to supplement their income. The Restaurant Association is a huge lobby which keeps server wages in check, just saying

when in Paris? I know what the tipping culture is where I travel. Japan and Australia, no tipping. In Europe I probably tipped more than the locals and that's OK for me. If I had a 50 Euro dinner, I would tip 5 Euros. I believe Europeans should comply with U.S. tipping standards. Our servers generally earn less than minimum wage and depend on tips to supplement their income. The Restaurant Association is a huge lobby which keeps server wages in check, just saying

See that "Wink Emoji" at the end of my comment? Just saying :cool:

Saint Greg , Indygirl

Thanks, clears it up and also sets expectations of service accordingly. I'm going on a 3 night Bahama cruise with 8 guys 10 years younger then me (bachelor party) who I think will be more representative of the crowd of that particular cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you truly feel that tipping extra is unnecessary, then don't. Cruise wait staff are used to it and won't bat an eye. However, don't get mad when I'm sitting next to you getting my drinks faster and fuller because I felt their time and demeanor was worth an extra dollar or so.

Funny thing is, you are the guy I like sitting next to. You see, you tip extra, the extra "attention" you get, is a benefit to me, because I piggy back on your generosity. :D

If I'm sitting next to you, and what you think is true, that's your flashy cash is a magnet to the servers, that same magnet works for me.

Just curious though. If you were a bartender, what talent do you need to know that someone doesn't just tip at the end, and by you "ignoring them" didn't cut off your reward at the end? The thing is, on Carnival, cash tips go 100% to the person getting them. Tips on cheers and receipt are pooled by the ENTIRE STAFF.

RULE OF THUMB:

When someone TAKES the tip from you because THEY think you will not tip or tip enough, there is NO NEED to tip more.

This precludes any service that your wait staff goes so above and beyond that you may wish to reward them. To suggest that you need to tip someone more to do their job? Lunacy.

I could not agree more I feel the same way in a eating joint - If they have the nerve to automatically add gratuity then that is all they get

Funny thing is, you are the guy I like sitting next to. You see, you tip extra, the extra "attention" you get, is a benefit to me, because I piggy back on your generosity. :D

yup thats me tapping them on the shoulder excuse can you also bring me a blah blah blah and right before i leave make sure I thank the guy who tipped extra so I could get good service LOL

Totally understand the point you're making, and having never sailed on NCL, I'll take your word for it that's how their program works. But on Carnival, it does not work that way. Drinks rung up under the Cheers package do not generate an automatic 15% for the bartender. The ~ $7.50/person/day that's charged on the package price, is pooled for the drinks staff - they do not get an additional tip for each drink you order.

It doesn't work that way on NCL either if you have the drink package. You pay the gratuity up front on the value of the package, just as you do on Carnival. There isn't an automatic tip generated on each individual drink. If you don't have the drink package then an automatic tip is generated except it's 18% on NCL.

We took cash for tipping in January on the Elation. We tipped a dollar for every drink served (alcohol or non-alcohol, yes we had the Cheers pkg). I didn't feel it made a difference with the bartenders, but the wait staff seemed to look for me...lol. The last night of the cruise I hunted down my favorite server and gave her an additional $25 in cash. I think tipping is a matter of personal choice and you should do what feels right for you. I have a daughter who works as a server and it's a lot of hustle to make a buck to pay those bills.

To me, tipping is a personal thing. Some do, some don't. I don't think you will be treated poorly if you don't tip extra. That said, when I get the Cheers package, I always tip a dollar or 2 in cash on each beer/drink I order (except on the rare occasion when I don't have cash on me). I personally feel the service and attention I receive on the ship is exceptional (in most instances) and I like to recognize that service with a little cash incentive.

We did Cheers our last cruise and will be doing it again on our next cruise. I also have mixed feelings about paying additional gratuities on a per drink basis so here is what we did. On our first night we found a bar and server that we really liked. We asked when and where she would be working all week and I tipped her $20 and told her we would be on the Cheers program starting the next day. After that she memorized our folio numbers and what we liked to drink. Whenever she saw us, in line, sitting on a lounge chair, in the MDR she immediately got us our drinks and kept them coming regardless of who else was in line before us, etc. She got another good tip at the end of the cruise and everyone was happy with the arrangements.