New to Celebrity.....please help with information.

SusieCruises

Hello, everyone.........this will be my first time cruising on Celebrity. .....(Equinox, August in a 2B veranda balcony, unlimited drink package.) I have been on about 10 Carnival cruises and 2 Royal Caribbean but Celebrity seems very different from what I am used to!

I am not having much luck navigating the Celebrity website to find my answers. People here are ALWAYS so helpful and so I think I might have better luck here.

First...even though we have the drink package, I am not much of a drinker at all and am most interested in finding bottled water. On Carnival, I call ahead of time and have a case (or two) waiting for me in my cabin. I am not finding anywhere that I can do that. Can you do that on Celebrity and can someone tell me where to find it?

Is it possible to get a table for two in the main dining room? We were assigned early dining....I will try to change it to anytime (or select?), but if I can't I am just wondering if there are two-tops available? I LOVE meeting new people on a cruise; I just prefer to eat in the dining room with my family. (Also, if you ever had a 'bad' table mate you will understand. ;)

I am curious as to how much room you have in a veranda balcony cabin? I use a rollator/walker and sometimes need a wheelchair. I wanted to rent a scooter for getting off the ship only but from some pictures I have seen, it doesn't really look like I could even bring one into the room. (I don't want to rent it and THEN find out it won't fit! LOL)

Also, it looks like some dining venues will be off limits to us......I am NOT worried about finding enough to eat, LOL, I just really like to know a lot about the ship BEFORE I go....don't like surprises!

It looks like Celebrity will be a new adventure for me.....I am not afraid of change, but it seems this ship will be different than my most recent sailings. Not better or worse; just different. :)

Finally, my daughter and I will be flying into Ft Lauderdale the day before our cruise and we are looking for a nice CLEAN hotel in Miami. We don't need a lot of bells and whistles but a water view near somewhere to get dinner would be great. Any suggestions?

Thank you all for taking the time to read this and maybe offer some answers or suggestions. I have always been able to get great information from the people here and have even been able to help out a few people when I knew the answer.

SusieCruises

Not sure you need cases of water when you arrive. Your drink package lets you pick up a small or large bottle of water at Cafe A Bacchio or any bar or in the Oceanview Cafe (buffet) or as you leave the ship on a tour. We would each get a large water when we got on the ship and took it to the room for taking pills and drinking in the room. Go to the main dining room as soon as you get on the ship. They are prepared to move you to a table that suits you. Lots of 2 tops available. Wheelchairs or scooters can be parked nearby you cabin if It will not fit in your cabin. By off limits dining not sure if you mean specialty dining that has a surcharge or Blu dining room for Aquasuite passengers or what. When main dining room does not offer breakfast or lunch you always have Oceanview buffet. There is also no cost room service. There is lunch of burgers and fries and hot dogs near the pool. Do not miss the aqua spa cafe that is open to all seating is very limited but you can take the food away and eat by the pool. We love all the Celebrity Solstice class ships and they get first crack at our cruise dollars. Hope this keeps you from having a bad surprise. Terry

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are also new to Celebrity and cruise (Baltic) next week. Thanks for the info!!

Also, are the showers like the Royal "tube" ones with a rounded shower door or have a curtain? We are in a veranda cabin on Silhouette.

Thanks [emoji6]

Jess [emoji41]

We are also new to Celebrity and cruise (Baltic) next week. Thanks for the info!!

Also, are the showers like the Royal "tube" ones with a rounded shower door or have a curtain? We are in a veranda cabin on Silhouette.

Thanks [emoji6]

Jess [emoji41]

No curtains.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Welcome to Celebrity. They are going through a major redo of their website and currently it is a mess. You will love the Equinox it is a beautiful ship, we did our 4th cruise on her in April.

Now to answer some of your questions-if you got the beverage package as a booking perk you have the Classic package which includes bottled water (not sparkling water) so no need to purchase a water package- if X even has one.

There are some 2 tops in the MDR. If you want to move to Select I would recommend you call whoever you booked with (Celebrity or a TA) and ask to be waitlisted for Select- you might clear the waitlist before your sailing and avoid the line st the MDR trying to make changes. Same advice for a 2 top have you reservation marked for a 2 top.

The veranda cabins are 194 sq ft. Putting a wheelchair in the cabin could be difficult but I have seen wheelchairs folded along the wall in the hall.

Luminae & Michsels Club are for Suite guests and Blu is the dining room for Aqua Class guests. The speciality restaurants on the Equinox are Murano ($50pp), Tuscan Grill ($45pp) and Silk Harvest ($?? Think it is 40 but not sure). Most of the time your can get a discount of 20-50% by asking.

Hope this helps. We have also cruised Carnivsl & Royal but tried Celebrity and 17 cruises later we are still cruising with them.

Welcome to Celebrity -- I think you will find it a nice step up in cruising. [Once you get past the website. jelayne is very charitable -- the old Celebrity website was terrible, and the new one is even worse]

Did you know there are Accessible 2B cabins? -- the deck plan shows them as significantly larger (wider) than the regular ones, so they should have enough room to accommodate a scooter [and they cost the same]

We always do Select Dining and have never had to wait -- but we like to dine late. If you want to dine early, it's probably best [on any cruise line] to stay with early fixed dining.

You worry about restaurants that will be off-limits to you. There are only two: Blu is reserved for Aquaclass cabins, and Luminae is reserved for suites -- they take the place of the main dining room for those cabins. You probably won't even be aware that they exist. You will have access to all the free restaurant choices, and also all the specialty restaurants [but be prepared for Celebrity's very high cover changes for those -- there is usually a good discount for the first night, and there are packages that cut the cost].

Others have answered most of your other questions, but I want to reenforce your great attitude of accepting change and point out that Equinox is a wonderful ship that combines Celebrity's classier approach with a very modern feel. Be sure to check out the top deck's unique features: a real grass lawn, and the Corning Hot Glass Show [we didn't expect much from that but ended up going back over and over because it was so great]

Bon voyage!

Not sure you need cases of water when you arrive. Your drink package lets you pick up a small or large bottle of water at Cafe A Bacchio or any bar or in the Oceanview Cafe (buffet) or as you leave the ship on a tour. We would each get a large water when we got on the ship and took it to the room for taking pills and drinking in the room. Terry

Did you have the Premium drink package? It's been my experience that you can only get the large water with the Premium package. Otherwise with the Classic, it's the smaller bottle.

OP: If you need several bottles, you can make the rounds of the various bar/Cafe al Bacio stopping at each one on the way to your cabin. If you don't want anything in the cabin cooler for an extra fee, like us, ask your cabin attendant to empty it to make room for the water you tote back.

Another alternative would be to lug a water case to the embarkation porters and slap a cabin luggage tag on it. It will show up with your luggage.

Thanks everyone for the quick responses and the helpful information! I KNEW I could count on Cruise Critic people!

I think I am going to really enjoy the Equinox. I have been reading every review and looking at every picture I can find. I think it will be a nice, quiet, relaxing change of pace.

If anyone thinks of anything else that I need to know, or even just something I might find interesting, please come back here and let me know! I am grateful for any and all information. (terrytallent 1 gets it....NO SURPRISES! LOL)

Keep me in mind if you have a nice hotel or shuttle service you would recommend. Even after all my cruising, this will be the first time I am flying in the day before! (I always sail in December or January and have taken my chances with the weather out of Detroit.......but it has been my biggest worry!) I am really going all out this time! LOL

Thanks again!

SusieCruises

Thanks everyone for the quick responses and the helpful information! I KNEW I could count on Cruise Critic people!

I think I am going to really enjoy the Equinox. I have been reading every review and looking at every picture I can find. I think it will be a nice, quiet, relaxing change of pace.

If anyone thinks of anything else that I need to know, or even just something I might find interesting, please come back here and let me know! I am grateful for any and all information.

SusieCruises

SusieCruises, you may be interested in a live from Equinox thread I posted on my first Equinox & S Class sailing last December. It has a ton of informational pics about the ship and cabin plus my observations. I hope you enjoy.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2430527

SusieCruises, you may be interested in a live from Equinox thread I posted on my first Equinox & S Class sailing last December. It has a ton of informational pics about the ship and cabin plus my observations. I hope you enjoy.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2430527

Thanks for the link! I will check it out!

I can help you with renting a scooter info. There are literally hundreds of different scooter brands out there. There are primarily 2 rental companies Special Needs at Sea and Care Vacations (AKA Scootaround). These scooters/chairs tend to be standard size and either do not break down or don't really break down easily, for storage. There is a company called Scoot Anywhere they rent The SmartScoot and the TravelScoot. The Smart Scoot has a variable width rear axle and stores in a pretty small space. So you can drive it through a door 21 inches wide, like on cruise ships. The TravelScoot and fold up and fit into a duffel bag. They will ship the scooter to you. You can drive it in the airport, up to the gate. Gate check the scooter, and when you land it will be there waiting for you when you deplane. Then you can fold it up, put it in the trunk of a cab and take it to the ship. When you get home, you box it up and ship it back to them, I believe they have pick up @ your house like UPS.

Both Care Vacations & Special Needs @ Sea have kiosks at some of the embarkation ports, where you can pick up your scooter before you board. Why would you want to do that? Because you drive your chair, in case you have to wait in loooonnng lines. You won't have to wait for wheelchair assistance to get aboard ship. sometimes that wait can be quite long.

If you have never used a scooter, you should try to find some place on board to practice. It's not rocket science, it can be a bit awkward at first. Getting used to the speed, how to back up (that took me a long time to become mediocre at it), breaking, and outmaneuvering around room service dishes and linen carts. If it has keys ALWAYS take your keys with you or you might observe it driving away with an 8 yo kiddo on it ....

Hope this helps!

Depends on when the cruise was booked. We booked last August with 4 perks and have the premium package.

Welcome to Celebrity. They are going through a major redo of their website and currently it is a mess. You will love the Equinox it is a beautiful ship, we did our 4th cruise on her in April.

Now to answer some of your questions-if you got the beverage package as a booking perk you have the Classic package which includes bottled water (not sparkling water) so no need to purchase a water package- if X even has one.

There are some 2 tops in the MDR. If you want to move to Select I would recommend you call whoever you booked with (Celebrity or a TA) and ask to be waitlisted for Select- you might clear the waitlist before your sailing and avoid the line st the MDR trying to make changes. Same advice for a 2 top have you reservation marked for a 2 top.

The veranda cabins are 194 sq ft. Putting a wheelchair in the cabin could be difficult but I have seen wheelchairs folded along the wall in the hall.

Luminae & Michsels Club are for Suite guests and Blu is the dining room for Aqua Class guests. The speciality restaurants on the Equinox are Murano ($50pp), Tuscan Grill ($45pp) and Silk Harvest ($?? Think it is 40 but not sure). Most of the time your can get a discount of 20-50% by asking.

Hope this helps. We have also cruised Carnivsl & Royal but tried Celebrity and 17 cruises later we are still cruising with them.

Love the Equinox. We have cruised on her 4 times including 2 TA's. Use Uber for your transport to and from the port. Until is spring, the Equinox always cruised in and out of Port Everglades so I can't recommend a hotel nearby the POM.

I would suggest going over to the "The Florida Forum" for hotel information. There are tons and tons of threads over there

concerning hotels/motels/restaurants/transportation, etc.

I can help you with renting a scooter info. There are literally hundreds of different scooter brands out there. There are primarily 2 rental companies Special Needs at Sea and Care Vacations (AKA Scootaround). These scooters/chairs tend to be standard size and either do not break down or don't really break down easily, for storage. There is a company called Scoot Anywhere they rent The SmartScoot and the TravelScoot. The Smart Scoot has a variable width rear axle and stores in a pretty small space. So you can drive it through a door 21 inches wide, like on cruise ships. The TravelScoot and fold up and fit into a duffel bag. They will ship the scooter to you. You can drive it in the airport, up to the gate. Gate check the scooter, and when you land it will be there waiting for you when you deplane. Then you can fold it up, put it in the trunk of a cab and take it to the ship. When you get home, you box it up and ship it back to them, I believe they have pick up @ your house like UPS.

Both Care Vacations & Special Needs @ Sea have kiosks at some of the embarkation ports, where you can pick up your scooter before you board. Why would you want to do that? Because you drive your chair, in case you have to wait in loooonnng lines. You won't have to wait for wheelchair assistance to get aboard ship. sometimes that wait can be quite long.

If you have never used a scooter, you should try to find some place on board to practice. It's not rocket science, it can be a bit awkward at first. Getting used to the speed, how to back up (that took me a long time to become mediocre at it), breaking, and outmaneuvering around room service dishes and linen carts. If it has keys ALWAYS take your keys with you or you might observe it driving away with an 8 yo kiddo on it ....

Hope this helps!

Oh my goodness!! Such TERRIFIC information!! I can't thank you enough for this! So far, I have looked into Special Needs at Sea and Scootaround.com. I have another cruise booked for Decemeber and was planning to rent the scooter for that one. This cruise came up rather suddenly and I am at the point where I am using a scooter for grocery shopping and trips to the mall, etc. For short distances I use my walker with a seat but I am really having a difficult time with longer distances now. (Without going into too much detail, my biggest issue is that I can not stand for more than a few minutes at a time. Walking any distance is out of the question.) Every day I find something that helps make life a little easier and I take advantage of it because the alternative is sitting home and doing nothing. NOT READY TO GIVE UP YET! :p On my last cruise I did OK with just the walker (had wheelchair assist getting on the ship) but when I tried to get off in any of the ports I had to go back to the ship because I just didn't have the strength. I basically missed Aruba and it was on my bucket list! :(. So, if I can rent a scooter to get off the ship and I can get a shower chair I will be OK and I know I will enjoy this cruise! I

I will definitely be looking into the places you suggested and am very grateful that you took the time to respond. THANK YOU!

Hello, everyone.........this will be my first time cruising on Celebrity. .....(Equinox, August in a 2B veranda balcony, unlimited drink package.) ......Is it possible to get a table for two in the main dining room? We were assigned early dining....I will try to change it to anytime (or select?), but if I can't I am just wondering if there are two-tops available?...

SusieCruises

Your cruise confirmation/invoice from Celebrity should show your Dining assignment. We ask for 8:30pm, 6-person table and that preference shows on the invoice. If you don't have what you want, call your agent and ask them to change it for you. You may be put on a waiting list. In which case, first thing you do when you get aboard is to go and stand in the line of people waiting to talk to the maitre de at the entrance to the MDR. He/she will do what they can to shift you around. Your new assignment (if you get one) may not be in effect until the second evening. In my experience, they will do everything they can to accommodate your preferences. Do note that the two-tops are mostly separated from the neighboring table by about two inches. So it is not like you are eating just with your daughter...

And I endorse the earlier comment about the Glass Show. Time well spent.

Enjoy!

Stan

Hello, everyone.........this will be my first time cruising on Celebrity. .....(Equinox, August in a 2B veranda balcony, unlimited drink package.) I have been on about 10 Carnival cruises and 2 Royal Caribbean but Celebrity seems very different from what I am used to!

I am not having much luck navigating the Celebrity website to find my answers. People here are ALWAYS so helpful and so I think I might have better luck here.

First...even though we have the drink package, I am not much of a drinker at all and am most interested in finding bottled water. On Carnival, I call ahead of time and have a case (or two) waiting for me in my cabin. I am not finding anywhere that I can do that. Can you do that on Celebrity and can someone tell me where to find it?

Is it possible to get a table for two in the main dining room? We were assigned early dining....I will try to change it to anytime (or select?), but if I can't I am just wondering if there are two-tops available? I LOVE meeting new people on a cruise; I just prefer to eat in the dining room with my family. (Also, if you ever had a 'bad' table mate you will understand. ;)

I am curious as to how much room you have in a veranda balcony cabin? I use a rollator/walker and sometimes need a wheelchair. I wanted to rent a scooter for getting off the ship only but from some pictures I have seen, it doesn't really look like I could even bring one into the room. (I don't want to rent it and THEN find out it won't fit! LOL)

Also, it looks like some dining venues will be off limits to us......I am NOT worried about finding enough to eat, LOL, I just really like to know a lot about the ship BEFORE I go....don't like surprises!

It looks like Celebrity will be a new adventure for me.....I am not afraid of change, but it seems this ship will be different than my most recent sailings. Not better or worse; just different. :)

Finally, my daughter and I will be flying into Ft Lauderdale the day before our cruise and we are looking for a nice CLEAN hotel in Miami. We don't need a lot of bells and whistles but a water view near somewhere to get dinner would be great. Any suggestions?

Thank you all for taking the time to read this and maybe offer some answers or suggestions. I have always been able to get great information from the people here and have even been able to help out a few people when I knew the answer.

SusieCruises

Good morning SusieCruises!

I am booked on some X sailings but have not sailed with them quite yet. HOWEVER, I do have a hotel suggestion in Miami. We stayed at the Hampton Inn and Suites Miami-Brickell Downtown on SW 12th St. We really enjoyed it! It wasn't ridiculous in price, relatively speaking, and we were told there were many places to eat, shop and explore nearby. We arrived late the night before we sailed and boarded early the next morning so we didn't experience as much but it was lovely and the staff was great!

Sorry I can't add more but I'm learning along with you as I read through the posts here. Enjoy your trip! ☺

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Oh my goodness!! Such TERRIFIC information!! I can't thank you enough for this! So far, I have looked into Special Needs at Sea and Scootaround.com. I have another cruise booked for Decemeber and was planning to rent the scooter for that one. This cruise came up rather suddenly and I am at the point where I am using a scooter for grocery shopping and trips to the mall, etc. For short distances I use my walker with a seat but I am really having a difficult time with longer distances now. (Without going into too much detail, my biggest issue is that I can not stand for more than a few minutes at a time. Walking any distance is out of the question.) Every day I find something that helps make life a little easier and I take advantage of it because the alternative is sitting home and doing nothing. NOT READY TO GIVE UP YET! :p On my last cruise I did OK with just the walker (had wheelchair assist getting on the ship) but when I tried to get off in any of the ports I had to go back to the ship because I just didn't have the strength. I basically missed Aruba and it was on my bucket list! :(. So, if I can rent a scooter to get off the ship and I can get a shower chair I will be OK and I know I will enjoy this cruise! I

I will definitely be looking into the places you suggested and am very grateful that you took the time to respond. THANK YOU!

You are awesome!!! So excited for you and your great attitude! So many people would give up and you are not going to let this beautiful world go unexplored!! Happy cruising to you and your daughter! You are an inspiration! I can't wait to share your post with my parents. I tell them all of the time to get out and explore, travel and live!! They are 67 and 68, able bodied (though with some minor to moderate aches and pains) and in generally good health. BUT it's like pulling teeth to get them to go anywhere with me and my family (DH, DD7, DS10). They often say "traveling is for young people" and I sputter in indignation every time they say it! DH and I have traveled extensively and met so many wonderful people who are typically much more mature than us. They are often retired with adult children and they have WAY more fun than we do!! They don't have to go back to work at the end of their trips! Lol. Enjoy your travels! [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

POM is fairly similar from a taxi perspective whether you're in downtown or South Beach so tons of hotel opportunities.

If you've got an early enough flight and want some boardwalk time (it's wheelchair/scooter accessible from many hotels and public access points) I recommend the South Beach option. We stayed at the https://theconfidantemiamibeach.hyatt.com/en/hotel/home.html, and loved it. Great service and lovely hotel and grounds, and enough restaurants and activity nearby to get the Miami beach flavour without being completely deafened (it's actually mid beach rather than South Beach)

..... Wheelchairs or scooters can be parked nearby you cabin if It will not fit in your cabin.... Terry

Wrong. SOLAS regulations requires corridors to kept free of obstructions and Celebrity's policy requires mobility devices to be stored in the stateroom when not in use, not "nearby". Not in elevator lobbies, stairway lobbies, or corridors. All comprise parts of our paths of exit travel in case of emergency.

Thanks [emoji6]

Jess [emoji41]

The showers are large and have doors not curtains.

Wrong. SOLAS regulations requires corridors to kept free of obstructions and Celebrity's policy requires mobility devices to be stored in the stateroom when not in use, not "nearby". Not in elevator lobbies, stairway lobbies, or corridors. All comprise parts of our paths of exit travel in case of emergency.

That may be the law but it's not always the practice on Celebrity. On my December 2016 Equinox and January 2017 Eclipse cruises there were at least one stored in the hallway that I passed each day on the way to the elevator.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

That may be the law but it's not always the practice on Celebrity. On my December 2016 Equinox and January 2017 Eclipse cruises there were at least one stored in the hallway that I passed each day on the way to the elevator.

I think it is the law.

I know on several Carnival ships I had a hard time getting down the hallway because of scooters and power chairs left out of the room. (They didn't stay out there long.....someone must have asked them to move.)

I wouldn't leave mine in the hallway...I was only trying to find out if the cabins were as small as they looked in the pictures. (And square footage doesn't always mean anything....it is more in the way the room is laid out. The rooms look fine for walking around, but I am concerned about the area when you first walk in. I don't think you could comfortably leave a scooter there to charge.)

The more I am learning, the more I am thinking I will have to bring a wheelchair and my poor daughter will get her exercise pushing me when we get off the ship. :)