Cabins to avoid on Royal

hollydog

Anyone experience Royal inside B533 or C533. Have 49 days booked for next year and am concerned about the surrounding white space.

We are booked into B524 on the March 10 sailing, I’ll try to remember to scope it out for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes it is......just wondering about its location above the promenade and also the Princess Theater?

We look forward to book any E-101 through E-110 because they are cheaper for a Deluxe Balcony Obstructed, the obstruction is metal railing instead of plexi glass and the balcony itself is 2 to 3 times larger than a regular balcony, either Royal or Regal we've stayed on both ships.

• 4 weeks later...

Curious about D602 on the Royal. We, too, were upgraded from a guaranteed balcony on the March 20 voyage to the Eastern Caribbean. This cabin and balcony seem quite small, and there is a lifeboat one deck below. Usually book a mini suite, but keeping costs down this trip. Looking forward to your comments. Smooth sailing!

Curious about D602 on the Royal. We, too, were upgraded from a guaranteed balcony on the March 20 voyage to the Eastern Caribbean. This cabin and balcony seem quite small, and there is a lifeboat one deck below. Usually book a mini suite, but keeping costs down this trip. Looking forward to your comments. Smooth sailing!

We had a deluxe balcony cabin...D508...which when looking down from the railing the view was between lifeboats. Checking the deck plans, you’ll have the same view from your balcony. But we rarely looked in that direction so it didn’t affect our enjoyment on the balcony.

Most balconies on this class of ship are 20% smaller (9’x4’ vs 9’x5’) than standard balconies on other Princess ships. When seated, that results in not directly facing the railing & at either a 45 degree angle or parallel to the railing. There are some larger balconies in the midship bumped out section, aft facing and some upper deck forward balconies.

Here’s a link to a CC photo that shows the smaller Royal-class balconies which are the majority of balconies.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/photos/ships/royal-princess-400/deluxe-balcony-cabin-229668/deluxe-balcony-cabin--v11312412/

We had a deluxe balcony cabin...D508...which when looking down from the railing the view was between lifeboats. Checking the deck plans, you’ll have the same view from your balcony. But we rarely looked in that direction so it didn’t affect our enjoyment on the balcony.

Most balconies on this class of ship are 20% smaller (9’x4’ vs 9’x5’) than standard balconies on other Princess ships. When seated, that results in not directly facing the railing & at either a 45 degree angle or parallel to the railing. There are some larger balconies in the midship bumped out section, aft facing and some upper deck forward balconies.

Here’s a link to a CC photo that shows the smaller Royal-class balconies which are the majority of balconies.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/photos/ships/royal-princess-400/deluxe-balcony-cabin-229668/deluxe-balcony-cabin--v11312412/

Thank you so much for your reply. I feel better about the balcony view. Can you please tell me if the balcony is covered on Dolphin? The cabin looks great in the pictures; unfortunately, we were BF and were upgraded to BE, but won’t be enjoying a Deluxe Balcony Room. This trip, who cares? I’ve never been on the Royal and am looking forward to cruising on her! Thanks again!

Victoria

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you so much for your reply. I feel better about the balcony view. Can you please tell me if the balcony is covered on Dolphin? The cabin looks great in the pictures; unfortunately, we were BF and were upgraded to BE, but won’t be enjoying a Deluxe Balcony Room. This trip, who cares? I’ve never been on the Royal and am looking forward to cruising on her! Thanks again!

Victoria

The only uncovered balconies I’m aware of on this class of ship are aft facing balcony cabins such as these. Hopefully you’ll enjoy the ship as much as we have on the Royal & Regal and will do so in the future on the Sky. The Majestic’s changes are not appealing to me so may never sail on that ship.

8957384058_5fd2c6f569_b.jpg

9391397190_06541f215d_b.jpg

9045375437_ef51990d4b_o.jpg

The only uncovered balconies I’m aware of on this class of ship are aft facing balcony cabins such as these. Hopefully you’ll enjoy the ship as much as we have on the Royal & Regal and will do so in the future on the Sky. The Majestic’s changes are not appealing to me so may never sail on that ship.

You are very cruise ship savvy and I appreciate your knowledge! I’m used to the Grand Class ships (i love the Grand!). I didn’t like the Island. Too small, no Vines, no IC, no disco (I may be 67 but I love the disco at night! So much fun). I hope you have a great time on your next trip. Hard to have a bad time on a cruise! Smooth sailing! Victoria

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You are very cruise ship savvy and I appreciate your knowledge! I’m used to the Grand Class ships (i love the Grand!). I didn’t like the Island. Too small, no Vines, no IC, no disco (I may be 67 but I love the disco at night! So much fun). I hope you have a great time on your next trip. Hard to have a bad time on a cruise! Smooth sailing! Victoria

After sailing again on a Princess ship with a smaller atrium, both of us commented that it was so much smaller than on a Royal-class ship. That class of ship also has the Alfredo’s Pizzeria with a multicourse menu & not the more limited menu on the Grand.

There are many more pros than cons for us & have never had a bad day on our cruises even when something may be disappointing. :D

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
On 6/6/2017 at 6:07 PM, Woobstr112G said:

We had the same cabin on the port side (maiden T/A 2013 and found our balcony nearly unusable due to the daily build up of soot.....

Bob

On 6/6/2017 at 6:17 AM, capriccio said:

If you are considering an aft facing cabin, I suggest you ask specifically about that in a new thread because they were (are?) subjected to rains of soot on their balconies. I hope it has gotten better since we sailed in D727 (I think that was the cabin number - it was the owner's suite on the starboard side of Dolphin deck) in December 2013. The lovely balcony was unusable for 5/7s of the trip and previous passengers had tracked soot into the cabin and stained the carpeting (on a 6 month old ship at the time!).

We do like the other aspects of the Royal. We sailed on her for 20 days in a mini-suite under the SkyView Bar and will be on her again this fall for 25 days in another mini-suite.

WE ARE VERY CONCERNED ABOUT THIS!  This is our first cruise and in Baha 711 to Alaska in Sept.  We paid extra for Balcony so we could have fresh air on ship.  But Exhaust will make me sea sick for sure!  Is a suite in the 500's going to be better / For Balcony and motion sickness?  Our agent is say those are too close to the Middle Elevators and more noise?  I feel stuck!  Any suggestions, we were wanting to move as my Mom and other relative are now in the 500 of the same deck (Baha) and we are 711 is it far and the soot on the balcony, now really has me concerned!  We can walk and have no mobility issues.

4 minutes ago, Alford said:

WE ARE VERY CONCERNED ABOUT THIS!  This is our first cruise and in Baha 711 to Alaska in Sept.  We paid extra for Balcony so we could have fresh air on ship. 

You should be fine.  Baja 711 is located in the aft portion of the ship but it is not an aft facing (one that overlooks the ship's wake) cabin.  I've never heard of issue then or now about any balconies other than those that face directly aft.  Enjoy your cruise!

On 2/24/2018 at 4:07 PM, Astro Flyer said:

That's interesting. We will be in E711 on Regal in November and I could have sworn I read somewhere (either a cabin review or on Princess site??) that cabins in that location are not covered. This is the only issue I have with this cabin, so I would be pleasantly surprised if it was covered. I know the balcony is fairly small but we sailed on Royal a few years ago and it was OK, not great.

Anyone know for sure. I wish I could find a pic of the side, showing the decks and cabin numbers like you showed!

1 hour ago, NoWhiners said:

That's interesting. We will be in E711 on Regal in November and I could have sworn I read somewhere (either a cabin review or on Princess site??) that cabins in that location are not covered.

IIRC all Royal Class ships have balconies and are covered (there are no ocean view cabins) except interior cabins (obviously).  From the Princess website Regal Deck Plans:

Stateroom Number: E711
Type: Deluxe Balcony

Category: DE
Deck: 8 (Emerald)
Bath Type: Shower
Connecting Room: N/A
Total Size: 222 sq. ft.

Special Notes:
DELUXE BALCONY BALCONY DOOR BLOCKEDWHEN UPPER BERTH OR SOFA BED IN USE

Some of the aft facing balconies (your cabin is not aft facing) have better coverage than others because of the terraced design of the stern of the ship.

Edited by capriccio

6 minutes ago, capriccio said:

IIRC all Royal Class ships have balconies and are covered (there are no ocean view cabins) except interior cabins (obviously).  From the Princess website Regal Deck Plans:

Some of the aft facing balconies (your cabin is not aft facing) have better coverage than others because of the terraced design of the stern of the ship.

Yes, thanks for that. Now I am wondering if I've confused our Island Princess cabin (B707) with this one on Regal. It's been such a long time since we selected the cabin and cruised, things are a little fuzzy. Looking at Island pics, I think our cabin may not be covered.

Thanks.

2 hours ago, Alford said:

Is a suite in the 500's going to be better / For Balcony and motion sickness?  Our agent is say those are too close to the Middle Elevators and more noise?

Your agent has most likely never sailed in a cabin near elevators. We have had cabins very close to the elevators and never had an issue with noise.  Hotel rooms near elevators have had noise issues but none of our cabins near elevators on ships have had problems.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, NoWhiners said:

That's interesting. We will be in E711 on Regal in November and I could have sworn I read somewhere (either a cabin review or on Princess site??) that cabins in that location are not covered. This is the only issue I have with this cabin, so I would be pleasantly surprised if it was covered. I know the balcony is fairly small but we sailed on Royal a few years ago and it was OK, not great.

Anyone know for sure. I wish I could find a pic of the side, showing the decks and cabin numbers like you showed!

Searching for photos of E711 this one shows the area aft of the last lifeboat overlooking the open Promenade deck & balconies are covered. Several years ago we enjoyed staying in that cabin.

image.thumb.png.22e9397f283ee9fb2fde3d81f83ee7c0.png

Edited by Astro Flyer

2 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

Searching for photos of E711 this one shows the area aft of the last lifeboat overlooking the open Promenade deck & balconies are covered. Several years ago we enjoyed staying in that cabin.

That's a great pic, thanks! And good to get feedback from someone who's been in the same cabin.

• Like 1

On 4/27/2022 at 2:43 PM, Thrak said:

Your agent has most likely never sailed in a cabin near elevators. We have had cabins very close to the elevators and never had an issue with noise.  Hotel rooms near elevators have had noise issues but none of our cabins near elevators on ships have had problems.

exactly. My parents were in E502 on Regal (right next to elevators) and never heard any noise. However, being so close to the elevators was great for my mobility challenged dad.

The following year we stayed in E504 and didn't hear any elevator or other noise.