need help with restroom opportunities on following panama canal land excursions

creel5857

Since there is so little current activity and posts on the boards that address specific ports with panama canal cruises I am submitting this to the HAL board in hopes that anyone who has been to the following ports can help. We have a member in our group who typically travels well but has some health issues that requires restroom breaks every hour and a half and could benefit was periodic air conditioning like on coaches. I have looked up the info on excursions but find some of it lacking specific details that some of you may know from personal experience. Could anyone please give tips or knowledge that you might have related to restroom breaks and air conditioning on coaches regarding the following:

1. Puerto Quetzal Guatemala Country Drive and Coffee Plantation

2. Puerto Quetzal, Guatemala Coffee Estate and Antiqua

3. Puerto Vailarta, Mexico Town Country and Tequilla

4. Corinto, Nicaragua Banana Plantation and Hacienda San Jeronimo

5. Puerto Caldera (Puntarenas) Costa Rica Countryside and Coffee Experience

6. Puerto Caldera (Puntarena) Costa Rica Panaramic Scenic Ride

Thank you for your assistance as we wrap up our excursion reservations and attempt to help one of our fellow members

The Corinto Banana Plantation and Hacienda Tour offers a washroom at the first stop where a lengthy explanation of Banana growing is given. The heat is unbearable and no AC available there. Then you drive to the production/packing area where there is also no AC and no washroom. Then you drive to the Hacienda for refreshments where there is a washroom. Again there is no AC.

The production area would give a Workers' Compensation Board inspector a conniption fit. Watch your step.

The bus is very small and two of the seats are over a big wheel well. I had the misfortune of having to sit in one and you literally have your knees up under your chin. It became very painful and I really think they should not sell those two seats. My husband turned sideways and put his feet in the aisle so I could sit sideways and put my feet in front of his seat.

As interesting as I found this tour, I would not take it again.

Corinto itself is the worst port I have encountered in all my cruising. We have been there four times and it never gets any better. It is extremely impoverished, dirty, smelly and scary. I honestly don't know why HAL stops there.

I have been on the bus to Antigua, Guatemala twice, and I do not recall there being a restroom onboard, although it did have a/c. The first time was a tour, and basically it was to the Jade factory (Jade Maya) and there is a restroom there. The second time we did the 'transfer and Antigua on your own' and they dropped us off at a sort of hotel, and they also had a restroom. Not sure where there were other restrooms... I don't recall it being particularly hot. EM

I have been on the bus to Antigua, Guatemala twice, and I do not recall there being a restroom onboard, although it did have a/c. The first time was a tour, and basically it was to the Jade factory (Jade Maya) and there is a restroom there. The second time we did the 'transfer and Antigua on your own' and they dropped us off at a sort of hotel, and they also had a restroom. Not sure where there were other restrooms... I don't recall it being particularly hot. EM

The first tine we went to PANAMA Canal was in very eary April. It was extremely hot and humid and th ose with breathing issues sufferred We returned several times a nd while it was hot, never again was it as unbearab ly uncomfortrable. GThe subsequent visits were early to mid May. Of course, no one can know what the conditions will b e when you are there.

"Hot" is relative...from GA, Essiesmom is used to heat and humidity. If you're from the north, then you may find it uncomfortable! It IS HOT AND HUMID in Panama all the time.

The heat in Panama and the Pacific coast of Central America is different from the Caribbean heat. It is more intense and the humidity is far worse. I'm beginning to think I am too old to do it any more. Too bad because the Panama repo has been a favourite of ours.

All our trips have been in April.

Corinto itself is the worst port I have encountered in all my cruising. We have been there four times and it never gets any better. It is extremely impoverished, dirty, smelly and scary. I honestly don't know why HAL stops there.

We were on a Panama Canal cruise (on NCL) in January that also had a port call in Corinto. I agree that the local area seemed quite poor (at least from our bus), and this is probably a port that could be skipped. But if you find yourself docking there, I suggest a tour to León to visit the Cathedral, which is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. It's all white, with an interesting roof, also white, that you are permitted to walk around on (once you take your shoes off!).

Leon%20Cathedral%201024x683_zpsrajxfpee.jpg

Roof%20and%20people%201024x476_zpsyzvzjafn.jpg

(photos by turtles06)

I'll second Turtles06's suggestion about Leon. We did a tour last month that stopped in Chinandega at a museum of pre-Columbian art, then went on to Leon. The small bus was nicely air-conditioned and there were restrooms available at the museum and in several of the restaurants around the main square in Leon.

Have you called HAL Shore Excursions to ask them about restroom availability and whether there is AC on the bus/at the excursion sites?

My experiences over the years on many HAL tours.

Bus air conditioning - ALWAYS had air conditioning EXCEPT when the Shore Ex description warned that the buses might NOT have air conditioning. (Now how well the AC worked could vary.) In terms of BUS bathrooms - I avoid them at all costs over the years due to the condition I found the one in I tried to use.

Restroom availability and condition varies WIDELY as does the frequency of stops in my experiences in Central America, and many other places in the world. It is hard to predict as specific sites on the same tour may be open one time and closed the next. To loosely paraphrase Rick Steves, my philosophy is the NEVER pass up an opportunity to use a facility if at all possible. You NEVER know when the next opportunity will arise.

The following is a bit blunt. Now as a serious note for your friend, I have a device, actually several, that I take with me on trips/tours. Seldom do I have to use them, but they work when needed. Suggest she go to Amazon (or just Google) and look up female urinary devices and see what its available. They seem strange but I find they work! ( Strongly suggest you practice use at home.) They have "saved" me numerous times when traveling in "third world countries" and even parts of 2nd and 1st world countries. Camping as well. Even through I have seldom used them, just having one with me eases my concerns. They are even useful as your knees age and squatting is no longer feasible.

Thanks for any and all comments. Our friend is just trying to be prepared as this is all an adjustment for her as she has enjoyed traveling and just now having some health issues that posed this problem and with none of us being familiar with any of these particular ports or excursions we just appreciate other opinions. Thanks again.

The heat in Panama and the Pacific coast of Central America is different from the Caribbean heat. It is more intense and the humidity is far worse. I'm beginning to think I am too old to do it any more. Too bad because the Panama repo has been a favourite of ours.

All our trips have been in April.

Thanks for that assessment. I read this thread a few days ago, and have been mulling over the "more intense" and "far worse" bits. :eek: We are booked on a PC cruise for next winter, despite my concerns about the heat and humidity. I guess when final payment date draws near, we will decide...

She could also use adult diapers, they have come a long way. Just saying.

Good grief. What a horrible suggestion. If I were told that I would have to wear a diaper to go on a shore excursion because there were no washrooms available then you can bet I wouldn't be going on the excursion.

again, we are appreciative for any suggestions......and I had posted the specific tours in original post in the event some who had been on these trips could remember if there were specific restroom breaks (like at a mid point or immediately upon arriving).......but thanks a lot......these boards are so helpful

• 1 month later...

I am not trying to hijack this thread, but since quite a bit of the conversation has centered around Corinto.... I was hoping to ask for some information.

We have been looking at the 'Banana Republic' Banana Plantation Tour handled by JulioTours which is in the city of Posoltega. They offer a ride to a volcano and then to the all women owned/operated Planation then a trip to a local school afterward.

Besides the advertising on Julio Tours site, I have not been able to find any reviews....or any other information about this Plantation tour anywhere in the internet world ie: Cruise Critic, Trip Advisors, Central America web sites, a Google search etc. We are in Nicaragua on 26 February.

Has any one here had any experience with the Plantation tour, and/or with Julio Tours? We have been thinking about just doing a tour of Leon if the Plantation tour does not pan out. This is not the same Banana Plantation and Hacienda San Jeronimo tour that is offered by most of the cruise ships.

Thanks in advance.....

To Buck 1949.... we took a Julio Tour this past spring on our stop in Corinto during the HAL world cruise. We went to Leon with a CC group we arranged online. I was very pleased. The bus was nice, the young male guide knowledgeable about his country and realstic about its issues. It was inexpensive as I recall and included a great lunch with some dancers for entertainment. Don't recall the restroom arrangements specifically, but I am not a good 'squatter' so they must have been okay!

To Buck 1949.... we took a Julio Tour this past spring on our stop in Corinto during the HAL world cruise. We went to Leon with a CC group we arranged online. I was very pleased. The bus was nice, the young male guide knowledgeable about his country and realstic about its issues. It was inexpensive as I recall and included a great lunch with some dancers for entertainment. Don't recall the restroom arrangements specifically, but I am not a good 'squatter' so they must have been okay!

Thank you so much for the comments on Julio Tours. A trip/tour of Leon is certainly a consideration. How many people did you have on your tour? Do you know if anyone did the Banana Plantation tour that Julio Tours offers? That is a curious tour in that I can not find anything about the plantation outside of info on Julio's website.

Thanks once again for the information.....guess I should check out the Leon tour as a backup!