Corkage fees

kdowneymd

if one brings wine on board beyond the one per person limit, us the $15 charge per bottle charged to the onboard account or paid at boarding in cash

They do not want nor will accept cash. There were reports when the current corkage fee scheme was first enacted that the $15/bottle fee appeared as a separate charge on your credit card rather than a charge to your shipboard account, usually at a port where the "wine table" is encounter before the check-in desks such as Ft Lauderdale. Haven't heard that happen recently--my guess is that it was a way to not all OBC to be used to pay corkage.

What if your intention is to buy the wine to take home with you and not open on the ship? Do you still get charged the corkage or can they hold it or something like liquor brought on in ports?

Not at embarkation port; only possibility to get the wine onboard (within the rules) is to pay the corkage. At intermediate ports I imagine if you request they will treat your wine as they do hard spirits and "hold for your safekeeping" until disembarkation.

They do not want nor will accept cash. There were reports when the current corkage fee scheme was first enacted that the $15/bottle fee appeared as a separate charge on your credit card rather than a charge to your shipboard account, usually at a port where the "wine table" is encounter before the check-in desks such as Ft Lauderdale. Haven't heard that happen recently--my guess is that it was a way to not all OBC to be used to pay corkage.
I believe you would need to have checked in and have your cruise card before you could make a charge to your folio which would be an issue in FLL. Last time we departed from there was the year before they started charging corkage so I haven no first hand knowledge.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am going on a South American cruise, so am thinking Malbec to take home. Or if I was on a coastal cruise where I might want to buy some Napa wine and take home. I just wondered what then?

Every ship handles ports stops differently as far as wine. Sometimes they have an alcohol table and sometimes not.

There is no way to know ahead of time until you are walking back onboard with your bottle of wine.

I bought wine in St.Thomas and was able to bring to our cabin without corkage. But before getting off at port, I asked first the security at gangway if I can bring a wine I intend to buy at port. The guard said yes. I was on the Royal then.

The system is so chaotic at Fort Lauderdale if you don't want to pay the corkage fee you just bypass the payment table when instructed to do so.

You can always pack 2 "additional" bottles in your checked luggage which are sometimes missed when they check the luggage.

Sigh...

I have seen this with my own eyes, not drinking alcohol it doesn't bother me one way or the other. Watching passengers skip the table is interesting, I guess working in security you always pay interest in how systems are put in place.

Why would an honest person do that?

The type of person to smuggle wine or liquor would not be honest. They would be the type of person you would not play golf with because they have a different sense of sportsmanship. After all, if you don't find them cheating, it is your failing. They will typically be self centered and could care less about right and wrong.

The reality is that Princess has been, in our experience, very good about allowing passengers to enjoy their wine purchased in port without incurring a corkage fee. Should they ask for a very modest fee, it should be worth it to try a nice wine that may not be available in your home market.

But, my sense is that you knew this and only asked the question to point out the obvious.

if the bottle does not have a sticker, they will charge the corkage in the dining room.. If you want to drink in your room, no fee.

Simple enough....just drink a glass before you leave the room & carry another to the DR & there's no charge for corkage. ;)

I have seen this with my own eyes, not drinking alcohol it doesn't bother me one way or the other. Watching passengers skip the table is interesting, I guess working in security you always pay interest in how systems are put in place.
Princess make it so easy to bypass the liquor check-in desk it's almost a standing joke among past cruisers.